Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are the Mexican rails owned by our robber baron friends from the USA? Because if so I look forward to seeing how the USA government will pressure the Mexican government on this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

actionjackson posted:

wow i can't believe CA did something good

Do you think the potential future where humans are freed from doing anything for their transportation (no driving, no pedaling, no steering, no danger, no waiting in traffic, etc) is worth some short term pain while we develop the tech? Was the pain and suffering during the industrial revolution days that have led to our current high tech world worth it? (I'm not just asking this rhetorically, I'm really interested in what you or somebody who agrees with you thinks about these things).

Alternatively if you reject the premise of those questions that this is a necessary phase to pass through to get to the other side, what do you think the impact on progress would be if no "real world" training opportunities were allowed for these companies? Do you think they'd be hampered and progress would take longer, and what would the impact of that be?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i was hoping to get hit by a driverless car for a big payout. sad i missed it

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

Do you think the potential future where humans are freed from doing anything for their transportation (no driving, no pedaling, no steering, no danger, no waiting in traffic, etc) is worth some short term pain while we develop the tech? Was the pain and suffering during the industrial revolution days that have led to our current high tech world worth it? (I'm not just asking this rhetorically, I'm really interested in what you or somebody who agrees with you thinks about these things).

Alternatively if you reject the premise of those questions that this is a necessary phase to pass through to get to the other side, what do you think the impact on progress would be if no "real world" training opportunities were allowed for these companies? Do you think they'd be hampered and progress would take longer, and what would the impact of that be?

syq

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I reject the premise of the rejected premise scenario.

mystes
May 31, 2006

We already have that technology, it's called public transportation, and the false promise of self driving cars is actively preventing us from reaching that future

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

actionjackson posted:

wow i can't believe CA did something good

They had to override local authorities' objections to allow it in the first place

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

this is too lazy. you could at least make some sort of tortured argument tying it to the working class or cops or something come on

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

ikanreed posted:

They had to override local authorities' objections to allow it in the first place

people also had to (predictably) get horrifically maimed first:

https://twitter.com/A_W_Gordon/status/1716892781984227384

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

mystes posted:

We already have that technology, it's called public transportation, and the false promise of self driving cars is actively preventing us from reaching that future

public transportation is a failed idea. try again

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Withholding the video from the state is beyond the pale.

Revoke the corporate charter and jail the executives as you unravel their organized crime.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Withholding the video from the state is beyond the pale.

Revoke the corporate charter and jail the executives as you unravel their organized crime.

What if instead we just told them that they have to have a driver monitoring their cars for a little while? Does that seem like a good compromise?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ham Equity posted:

What if instead we just told them that they have to have a driver monitoring their cars for a little while? Does that seem like a good compromise?

Too extreme. GM must receive a bail out for the damage that human shaped obstacle caused their brand

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

evil_bunnY posted:

1] shut up.
2] you can’t make loving eye contact with someone who’s not begun to register your presence.

lol if that happened to me kid you’d better hope they book you before i find you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's important to maintain posting :decorum:; we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings here

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Cruise more like Bruise

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

hackernews thread lol

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Good video about the history of Florida's trains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY6tufFWSaA

HOLY loving poo poo WHAT THE gently caress!
https://youtu.be/lY6tufFWSaA?si=MXqx_YaAyNM_K3xK&t=352

(and Reagan)

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

its getting pretty cold to ride my bike....

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

Obvious troll bait, hopefully nobody takes it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

pogies

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The discussion in this thread has lost sight of what is really important about transportation. The real crime committed against the public by car companies and the fossil fuel industry is that they have deprived the public of gaming time.

Instead of coming home with joy in their heart from time spent playing amazing games the average commuter comes home frustrated and angry from their driving experience. Not great.

Imagine how much shorter the backlog of games for gamers worldwide would be if there were less cars and more public transport. The car industry has robbed the average gamer of thousand of hours of potential gaming time. Sure you can listen to music, audio books or talk radio while driving a car but let's be honest, those are lesser art forms compared to interactive video games.

What is even worse is that the time taken up by driving and not gaming has also robbed game developers of millions if not billions of lost sales. If Nintendo had more revenue and more resources available to them we might have gotten a sequel to the Switch with better graphics years ago.

While walking or biking can be nice the lack of gaming is a significant drawback. Yes, Pokemon Go is a recent innovation but traditional gaming while walking or biking is sadly just not a feasible option.

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Oct 25, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

The discussion in this thread has lost sight of what is really important about transportation. The real crime committed against the public by car companies and the fossil fuel industry is that they have deprived the public of gaming time.

The fact that you can't game while driving cars as opposed to riding a train, bus, tram or ferry is one of the key differentiators between cars and many other means of transport.

Instead of coming home with joy in their heart from time spent playing amazing games the average commuter comes home frustrated and angry from their driving experience. Not great.

Imagine how much shorter the backlog of games for gamers worldwide would be if there were less cars and more public transport. The car industry has robbed the average gamer of thousand of hours of potential gaming time. Sure you can listen to music, audio books or talk radio while driving a car but let's be honest, those are lesser art forms compared to interactive video games.

What is even worse is that the time taken up by driving and not gaming has also robbed game developers of millions if not billions of lost sales. If Nintendo had more revenue and more resources available to them we might have gotten a sequel to the Switch with better graphics years ago.

While walking or biking can be nice the lack of gaming is a significant drawback. Yes, Pokemon Go is a recent innovation but traditional gaming while walking or biking is sadly just not a feasible option.

drop bars that are also a bluetooth controller yw

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Grassy Knowles posted:

drop bars that are also a bluetooth controller yw

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Y - Turbo
A - Honk
B - Blue Shell
Z - Eject

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is the future SRAM wants.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Platystemon posted:

This is the future SRAM wants.

"your subscription to SRAM Shifting ServiceŠ has expired"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I noted for that 160 car pileup in Louisiana it keeps being blamed on the fog - and not that drivers weren't driving appropriate speeds for the weather conditions. Like oh there's no way to expect people operating vehicles to simply slow down to speeds in which they'd have time to react appropriately.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One time on this forum I said that people should not be driving so fast that their stopping distance exceeds the distance illuminated by their headlights.

This was not taken well.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

One time on this forum I said that people should not be driving so fast that their stopping distance exceeds the distance illuminated by their headlights.

This was not taken well.

monkey paw curls as I install the brightest loving headlights imaginable on my lifted super truck

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i will be driving my cybertruck with the headlghts on... mad?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

3do lookin rear end truck

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Suplex Liberace posted:

coat, gloves, mask

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Driving a cybertruck does seem mad, yeah

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Platystemon posted:

This was not taken well.

lol u moran, if you do this then drivers going the proper speed limit will be unable to react in time to stop before crashing into you. please just drive defensively as per the road design

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you can't slow down anywhere for any reason because traffic is a liquid

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

you can't slow down anywhere for any reason because traffic is a liquid
It's a non newtonian fluid which is why I slow down when people tailgate me

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

I noted for that 160 car pileup in Louisiana it keeps being blamed on the fog - and not that drivers weren't driving appropriate speeds for the weather conditions. Like oh there's no way to expect people operating vehicles to simply slow down to speeds in which they'd have time to react appropriately.

People have no idea what to do in weather events. They probably turned on their brights or flashers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Counter-point, the odd time I can't bike to the office and take transit ... it's so loving lovely I get hours of Slay the Spire done on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

The real crime committed against the public by car companies and the fossil fuel industry is that they have deprived the public of gaming time.

driving is a video game where if you win you get to go to your lovely job and if you lose you get hideously mangled and maybe die