Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

A friend of mine built stone furnace stacks such that the normal output belt was one tile further away, and there was an extra belt tile leading from each furnace’s output inserter to the output belt, so using drones you could just rip out the whole array of now-steel furnaces and replace them with electrics.

You probably still want to relocate your array once you convert it to beacons, unless you also left space for those, but by the time you’re doing that you should have a couple thousand non-personal construction drones to accomplish it all such that laying out the belt hookups to the new spot will be the biggest hassle.

Finally got Material Pack 1s out in SpaceEx, holy gently caress did that take a lot of space even with full speed 3s and beacons. I foolishly set up three unmoduled research servers to make them so I kept getting numbers like 216 unmoduled mechanical facilities each to make enough Compressive and Tensile data when I did my first math pass. It came down to just under 56 each but for the whole setup for just these packs we’re talking over a thousand Speed 3 modules, with some Speed 4s sprinkled in to keep numbers more even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah that woulda made sense, the main issue was length going from 12 steel furnaces per side to fill a yellow belt to 18 electrics a side for half a blue, required some adjusting of spaghetti belts and moving my old steam power setup to free up some space between the start of my bus and the unloading stations.

I'm gonna get my existing base to 60spm and then do a totally new build for anything beyond that so I can beacon everything and move away from working around bad choices from the early game.

Once I've confirmed the base can do 60spm I'm gonna turn science back off and point everything at making all the bits for my attempt at a TBDspm base, still split on something that feels reasonable like 500ish or go for the 900 of a fully beaconed and moduled single silo.

Or just say gently caress it at 60 and start a new playthrough with some mods that add new recipes/production chains without being crazy complex.

E: also just realized that prod3 modules in my silo means I need 3.5 belts of copper vs 4.1 which means I can avoid building another copper unloading station for 0.1 belts which is real nice.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 24, 2023

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

LonsomeSon posted:

Finally got Material Pack 1s out in SpaceEx, holy gently caress did that take a lot of space even with full speed 3s and beacons. I foolishly set up three unmoduled research servers to make them so I kept getting numbers like 216 unmoduled mechanical facilities each to make enough Compressive and Tensile data when I did my first math pass. It came down to just under 56 each but for the whole setup for just these packs we’re talking over a thousand Speed 3 modules, with some Speed 4s sprinkled in to keep numbers more even.
How much science are you making??! We've just produced our first deep space science and we have exactly one (1) machine for each type of data card.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

Imagined a rail network with medium poles as the power transfer method and parts of my brain fled my body in response

I still haven't made all the prerequisites for medium poles in Py, so I'm doing it with small ones.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

misguided rage posted:

How much science are you making??! We've just produced our first deep space science and we have exactly one (1) machine for each type of data card.

The rest of my builds are going to be one machine for sure, that would have made the setup big but not like that.

I’m absolutely tapping as much off of that build as I can for the next pack, probably changing one of the three servers on Material 1s to be the next thing, and then again for whatever is after that. Pretty sure the existing coolant capacity will carry me until well after I give up.

I can, I think, do Astrometrics or whatever the blue pack is called without landing on any more planets, but I really want better substations which I assume are behind Energy, and I’ll need at least one more planetary outpost to make that happen.

I’ve got I think 16 dedicated cargo rocket silos on Nauvis, most just headed for the platform but all set up so that if I need something like ice or crude elsewhere all I need to do is put down a correctly-named pad and wait for the landing. For sure stepped on my crank with the material pack but most of it is recoverable. Maybe I’ll wind up taking down some of the excess thermal and mechanical facilities eventually, since they’re individually non-trivial amounts of resources and time even on this scale.

e: for planetary science I had four assemblers on each type of card. I’ve got like 400k+ of each on the platform, though, from having them slowly loaded into my commuter rocket silo on the ground along with whatever supplies I thought I’d need eventually, launching anytime they filled up, so I may not need to make any more of them at all this run.

KillHour posted:

I still haven't made all the prerequisites for medium poles in Py, so I'm doing it with small ones.

Braver then are troops!

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 24, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LonsomeSon posted:

You probably still want to relocate your array once you convert it to beacons, unless you also left space for those, but by the time you’re doing that you should have a couple thousand non-personal construction drones to accomplish it all such that laying out the belt hookups to the new spot will be the biggest hassle.

In my personal experience, moving to beacons is a full tear-out and replacement or just a completely different location because they are arranged so differently than non-beaconed setups. Mine tend to work out actually narrower than pre-beacon setups with a shared row of beacons between each furnace stack.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
After playing with the beacon rework where production buildings can only be affected by one beacon at a time but beacons have a ton of module slots I don't think I can ever go back. It makes the factory progression feel so much smoother than having to start putting identical rows of beacon cages everywhere.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 25, 2023

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
sometimes you do gotta hand it to earandel, one of the better space exploration decisions

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I wouldn't be surprised if something along those lines becomes a vanilla change. They are clearly willing to rip out and replace systems that aren't working well, and beacons have always received criticism.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

K8.0 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if something along those lines becomes a vanilla change. They are clearly willing to rip out and replace systems that aren't working well, and beacons have always received criticism.

Yeah, considering how many changes so far are inspired by/copied from Space Exploration, I'm kind of surprised they haven't announced a change to single beacons already.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 25, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bremen posted:

Yeah, considering how many changes so far are inspired by/copied from Space Exploration, I'm kind of surprised they haven't already.

They have to stretch out FFF for an entire year.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Bremen posted:

Yeah, considering how many changes so far are inspired by/copied from Space Exploration, I'm kind of surprised they haven't already.

TBF that's less Factorio being inspired by SE and more the other way around. SE is pretty heavily based on the original designs for Factorio having a space phase that got abandoned when they realized it would delay release far too long.

And yeah we're probably 40+ FFFs from release, if not more. There will be much more to come, and a lot of it you can already reasonably expect.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SpaceEx’s beacon change is basically why I’m willing to use them, yeah. I’ve done multiplayer embarks with posters from this thread where we did normal beacon arrays and I would rather go build new mining outposts all day.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

With how they are handling the train track changes, they don't want to break existing saves.
So if they really are going that way, the current beacons might stay around as an early thing, with the SE beacons being added as a later upgrade maybe?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tamba posted:

With how they are handling the train track changes, they don't want to break existing saves.
So if they really are going that way, the current beacons might stay around as an early thing, with the SE beacons being added as a later upgrade maybe?

I don't think changing beacons so each machine can only be affected by one would break saves. It'd mean existing factories aren't efficiently designed any more, but they'd still work.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Well SpaceEx machines affected by more than one beacon get an overloaded status and stop using beacon effects until you come fix it (there’s a warning icon that comes up like when logistics storage is full or turrets are engaging). If instead of doing that they just permit only one set of beacon effects to buff each machine everyone’s stuff would keep working, less slowly than with the overload mechanic.

Not a super huge problem because in the event you’d need to go back and fill in the new slots on the beacons you’re keeping, and remove the redundancies.

Adding a Mk2 beacon would neatly sidestep all of that though. Maybe one for space builds only.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

They could make the beacon change a Space Age change, while leaving beacons the same in base game 2.0. Base game saves, while theoretically importable into Space Age, would be absolutely hosed due to all the changes to technologies and recipes. Leave them in the base game for people who like them the old way and to make it easy for people to mod old style beacons into Space Age if they want to. That's along the lines of what I'm expecting.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

This week's FFF is mainly about logistic groups.

Basically, now logistic requests can be part of a group rather than individual. These groups are synced across everything, so you can do stuff like create quick shortcuts for yourself to change how your inventory is set up for different types of building tasks, or set common logistic requests in multiple areas that auto sync.

The space platform expansion animation also looks really cool, and apparently building entities will use something similar where a scaffolding pops up for it to be constructed like a lot of other games.

I'm also increasingly looking forward to some of how the design seems to work. I think there will be a lot more flexibility than the base game in terms of choosing where to target your research, hopefully without as much of the effect in the base game where you can just power through the research that doesn't matter to you yet to get all the goodies fairly early.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 27, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
C&C building animations.

I wonder if you could mod in those same animations when you build them on planets instead of the plop effect.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I want logistics groups now! Also the auto trash thing. Mucking with my spidertrons when I shift gears is a pita. At least I have like 20 of the now so I modify less.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

More logistics granularity is all I crave! Let me set priorities as well, so I’m not fully reliant even into the late game on building a belt setup in order to use only overflow for certain stuff.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Factorio/Rimworld mashup when

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
What, you want an assembly line for your re-purposed raider organs?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I mean pyanodon's is halfway there.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Half-wit posted:

What, you want an assembly line for your re-purposed raider organs?

Inputs: organs, plasteel, blue chips.

Output: bionic implants.

...huh, I don't hate the idea of making meat lumps an input for crafting advanced implants.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alkydere posted:

"Full-Render Colonist"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Paper Tiger posted:

Factorio/Rimworld mashup when

The RimFactory mod has been out for awhile, people in the [strikeout]war crimes normalization[/strikeout] Rimworld thread have posted setups which automatically clear corpses from killboxes and conveyor them to be automatically stripped, butchered, and dissolved leaving just small amounts of materials reclaimed from their clothes, tidy stacks of human skin for orbital traders, and vats of chemfuel.

I agree a full collab would be glorious though, unless tylenol and kovarex were at dagger-ends over their personalities

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Alkydere posted:

The realization that I'd just spent multiple days setting up a portion of the factory that churns out bacteria, blood, liquid poo poo, and houses an industrial slaughterhouse grid with six full belts worth of rendered animal product as a real "wait are we the baddies?" moment. :v:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Oh yeah, we’re the reverse Fern Gulley for sure

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I was putting off starting Factorio back up for a long, long time. Especially with word of the expansion, I figured hey, I'll just wait for that release. But now that it has been disclosed that release will be at least a year away, I'm jumping back into the game. This game was a huge timesink for me back in the day and it's easily the only game in my life that I became hopelessly and utterly addicted to (ignoring WoW).

I'm an okay player, I've never completed a rocket but I got quite far into the game and managed to automate a nuclear power station. Never made a spidertron or big bertha or whatever it's called. The last time I heavily played Factorio was back in 2019 maybe 2016. Jesus Christ it's been 7 years already, I used to rush home from uni classes and just drink ridiculous amounts of coffee and spend hours playing this. I wanted to ask the thread, do I continue my current main campaign and achieve the objective of shooting a rocket to space? Do I start over on a fresh game (I will probably not do this as I always found the beginning of the game the most boring)? Should I instead play a fresh modded game like Krastorio or Space Exploration?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Qubee posted:

So I was putting off starting Factorio back up for a long, long time. Especially with word of the expansion, I figured hey, I'll just wait for that release. But now that it has been disclosed that release will be at least a year away, I'm jumping back into the game. This game was a huge timesink for me back in the day and it's easily the only game in my life that I became hopelessly and utterly addicted to (ignoring WoW).

I'm an okay player, I've never completed a rocket but I got quite far into the game and managed to automate a nuclear power station. Never made a spidertron or big bertha or whatever it's called. The last time I heavily played Factorio was back in 2019 maybe 2016. Jesus Christ it's been 7 years already, I used to rush home from uni classes and just drink ridiculous amounts of coffee and spend hours playing this. I wanted to ask the thread, do I continue my current main campaign and achieve the objective of shooting a rocket to space? Do I start over on a fresh game (I will probably not do this as I always found the beginning of the game the most boring)? Should I instead play a fresh modded game like Krastorio or Space Exploration?

1.0 launched in 2020, if you haven't done a vanilla run through of 1.0, it's probably worth doing that before you consider an overhaul -- especially if you haven't launched a rocket, that's basically the end of the tutorial in "Space Exploration".

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The changes since 2016 probably mean your old save has science setups which won’t work right. Amounts of inputs may have changed for other stuff, but I don’t think which inputs are needed for what changed? If so it’s a limited number of things.

Probably best to do a fresh embark though, after seven years no way you remember what you were doing or where anything is, which will complicate trying to unfuck your factory and update it.

I’m a fan of most of the pretty-extensive rework mods like Krastorio, Industrial Revolution, and Bob’s (in that order, also order of ascending complexity), and of course SpaceEx which is mostly more stuff tacked onto the end of Factorio, but probably best to at least dip your toes into the new normal if only to get an idea of what extra stuff you’d like.

Failing that, I believe only running SpaceEx gives you a mostly-normal vanilla run until you start rocket launches.

Definitely get Honk before whatever first run you go with, mandatory mod imo

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Probably easier to load up your old world, and then just set up a new starter base far away, using your old one to bootstrap the beginning phase. That way you can also set up a good rail line drop-off point and send rail cars full of assemblers and inserters etc as you need them.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Game has changed a ton since then. I'd recommend starting over (or doing so in the same world as captain innocuous said), if you want you can use a quick start mod that gives you early construction bots to help you build faster if that's helpful to you. If you have never launched a rocket or beyond I wouldn't go for an overhaul mod yet, you've still got a lot of base game scaling up to go.

Maybe IR3 could be worth considering if you find the early game boring because it's too easy, IR3 is a solid step up from vanilla in difficulty though.

If you want to port your save forward, you might have to downgrade versions and do the migration in steps, as the game doesn't maintain save migration for every version forever.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I’d highly recommend industrial revolution 3, it’s what got me playing again and it has a ton of new mechanics and fun stuff, there’s a whole new steam-powered phase at first that demands you run steam pipes everywhere, it’s great

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Logistics groups seem interesting but I can't help feel if they integrated logistics train network into the game (which they clearly should) It would be unnecessary.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Qubee posted:

I'll jump on the bandwagon saying to start a new game. A lot has changed since you last played and it's always good to jump in fresh and relearn all that stuff you forgot in the many intervening years.

I personally always use a mod that gives me a few robots at the beginning of the game in order to make that early boring part of the game far less painful.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

IR2 had notionally steam-powered construction bots which are fucken adorable and also available smack in the middle of the phase where you’re still doing steam-powered assembler layouts, primo poo poo. I can’t imagine they went away for IR3.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

IR2 had notionally steam-powered construction bots which are fucken adorable and also available smack in the middle of the phase where you’re still doing steam-powered assembler layouts, primo poo poo. I can’t imagine they went away for IR3.

They are still there, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Trust a bunch of Factorio nerds to give thoroughly detailed and well thought out posts on my question. Thanks a bunch everyone. I think I will bootstrap a new base a few screens away from my main base in my existing save, just because I like going to old setups and having flashbacks of when I was actually sitting there coming up with the design. In the 7 years since I last played the main save, will there be things not included in my save, like map generation stuff? Or is it fine.

I'll actually try to complete the main game and then I'll start again on a SE + IR3 run.