Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mr E posted:

I think it'd be neat if we stopped adding features to games that increase graphical fidelity in an almost unnoticeable way for a 30 FPS cost. While I've enjoyed ray tracing in a few games and DLSS is amazing, I just feel like we're losing performance for tiny gains in graphics because we've kind of hit a peak. While a 360 era game is going to look worse (due to art direction/color choices for many games), the difference between that era and now is not even close to something like the previous generation to the 360/ps3 era. Just don't feel like it's worth games running like poo poo for this, it was nice to get PC ports that actually ran well for a while last gen.

think again what this is about and then how inevitable it is to get to the endgoal with out ultimately hitting the uncanny valley where every major step brings minor visual improvements just before everything would come together. Issue is though that a lot of things would be needed for games as whole and photorealistic rendering is just one thing.

It is never great to ask for this development to stop though I think. I find it amazing what has been pulled off in realtime graphics over the course of merely a few decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I started alan wake 1 over the weekend so I have some context for 2, with my only other experience with remedy being Control, and oof it’s rough. it feels much older than it actually is. the facial animation hasn’t held up at all and there’s enough close-up camera shots that it’s more than a nitpick. the visual style hasn’t aged very gracefully and it looks a fair bit uglier than many games of that time. In terms of gameplay, it’s simply unpleasant to control with weird camera stutters and Alan handling like he’s on ice (you can move just a tiny bit and he’ll keep going strangely far after you let go of WASD, etc). I’m also finding Alan as a character far less likable than Jesse and if this is how he is for the whole game, I wish we were getting a sequel to Control before this. I’m enjoying the atmosphere and vibes, but there’s very little else that holds up to a first impression today.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AW1s development was famously a complete shitshow and the game they ended up shipping was cobbled together from the bones of a scrapped open world concept at the last minute

it's no surprise it turned out rough

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

go play Max Payne. Why the gently caress would you go to somewhere in the middle of their games when they're the creators of Max Payne. AW is by far their worst game (one could argue QB, but its overall more diverse).

Orv
May 4, 2011

haldolium posted:

go play Max Payne. Why the gently caress would you go to somewhere in the middle of their games when they're the creators of Max Payne. AW is by far their worst game (one could argue QB, but its overall more diverse).

What the gently caress

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they released a recap of AW1 in fortnite of all things so you can hit the griddy while getting up to speed on the story

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RoboCicero posted:

Yeah, the demo was just Act 1, though I don't know how much of it carries over to the game. I really liked it and plan to pick it up after work -- sort of a horror / time loop game where each loop you get a new neurotic inner voice based on the result of the last loop

Abby Howard is fantastic. I like her webcomic too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Owl Inspector posted:

I started alan wake 1 over the weekend so I have some context for 2, with my only other experience with remedy being Control, and oof it’s rough. it feels much older than it actually is. the facial animation hasn’t held up at all and there’s enough close-up camera shots that it’s more than a nitpick. the visual style hasn’t aged very gracefully and it looks a fair bit uglier than many games of that time. In terms of gameplay, it’s simply unpleasant to control with weird camera stutters and Alan handling like he’s on ice (you can move just a tiny bit and he’ll keep going strangely far after you let go of WASD, etc). I’m also finding Alan as a character far less likable than Jesse and if this is how he is for the whole game, I wish we were getting a sequel to Control before this. I’m enjoying the atmosphere and vibes, but there’s very little else that holds up to a first impression today.

I started it and the writing of the famous author guy was so bad and not in a funny way I had to stop lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just read Garth Merenghi instead, Wake's a hack

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sebmojo posted:

I started it and the writing of the famous author guy was so bad and not in a funny way I had to stop lol

Worst dressed videogame protagonist of all time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first person who says “but he’s supposed to be a parody of bad authors” will taste my blade

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Alan Wake has some pretty nice moments and tries to really make you care about the whole Twin Peaks vibe of the town but kind of fumbles it half the time. There's no reason to play above easy unless you absolutely love the combat, and even if then American Nightmare is way way better combat wise.

Control has its Alan Wake themed DLC story that is nice if you played AW1 but otherwise you're beating an entire game (although a very good one) just in order to catch up on the AW plot so it's probably better to catch the highlights on YT or something.

Oxxidation posted:

the first person who says “but he’s supposed to be a parody of bad authors” will taste my blade

I never got the parody aspect it felt like the entire point of the game was to set him up, in the game world, as a Stephen King expy. Only this time the weird evil stuff he writes about is somehow real. Some of the real actor filmed bits do get a little hammy but at no point is there any 4th wall breaking or meta commentary about being a bad writer.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

victrix posted:

Any Heroes of Might & Magic 3 fans in the audience?

I have great news for you

https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/wargaming/sale/HoMMIIIxWoWS

what the actual gently caress

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i always got the feeling that he was a mediocre author with a good publicist. a book doesn't have to be good to become a best seller.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

haldolium posted:

think again what this is about and then how inevitable it is to get to the endgoal with out ultimately hitting the uncanny valley where every major step brings minor visual improvements just before everything would come together. Issue is though that a lot of things would be needed for games as whole and photorealistic rendering is just one thing.

It is never great to ask for this development to stop though I think. I find it amazing what has been pulled off in realtime graphics over the course of merely a few decades.

I'm saying that graphics do not need to improve anymore. I am happy where they are. I don't think they're photorealistic or anything, I just find that losing performance for slightly better lighting is not worth it. I'm sure this will get better at some point right before the next gen of consoles comes out and resets it all back to this for PC ports but I would like graphics to stay about the same as where they are for 3D AAA games and for them to actually worry about making a game that's fun to play rather than being 80% tech demo if we can't optimize anything anymore. GPUs are so loving expensive now and there's no real midrange priced card available anymore.. I'm mostly just mad that to play Alan Wake 2 I would need to both buy off the Epic store (not actually that big of a deal but a bit annoying) and get a new GPU to replace my current one that runs everything else that came out this year just fine, and even if I had a 4xxx series card it might not be enough if it's not a 4080. I'll just skip it for now and come back in a few years and of all times there are so many other games coming out, but I'm still mad about it :v:.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alan Wake's Blade Battleaxe: Anti-Terrorist Warlock

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Judging by the posting in the Cities Skylines thread, the new game varies widely with how well it runs, but most people seem to be able to get it playable. I will not be finding out soon because it's 56Gb and I need that space for all the other games I'm not playing at the moment.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Alan's writing is a case for the importance of editors and drafts. We're getting a hacky author's first draft work produced under extreme pressure, of course it sucks.

I love Alan Wake. It plays pretty terribly and that makes it Remedy's worst but even Remedy's worst is still tolerable, especially when spiced up with so much pure deliberate shlock, and just talking about it is making me itch to go replay it. I even loved American Nightmare and its dumb time loop stuff and their determined insistence on making you see the satellite crash set to "Club Foot" every time. I also completely understand people bouncing off AW.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I haven't played Alan Wake because it looked like a bad game, but this is the moment when I feel obliged to say that Control was an aggressively mediocre game that was all style and zero substance, and it's most relatable character was the brother that sums the whole thing perfectly.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

You can play through a 30 minute recap of Alan Wake on Fortnite through their official release "Alan Wake: Flashback".
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/fo...ore-alan-wake-2

I loved Alan Wake and I am super psyched for the sequel this week. The combination of Twin Peaks, Stephen King, and Twilight Zone set in the Pacific Northwest was perfect for my taste. Combat was terrible, but hopefully they learned some lessons.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Combat was terrible, but hopefully they learned some lessons.

Combat got so much better and smoother over each successive Remedy game so I'm pretty excited to see what may come in AW2.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't played Alan Wake because it looked like a bad game, but this is the moment when I feel obliged to say that Control was an aggressively mediocre game that was all style and zero substance, and it's most relatable character was the brother that sums the whole thing perfectly.

Grossly false, Control was great in all aspects

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Oh look a deeply terrible Jack Trades take.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
control was cool and good

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

what the actual gently caress
HoMM3 is really popular in Russia.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

HoMM3 is really popular in Russia.

it's still actively played to this day

the closest comparison would be Starcraft in Korea.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Alan Wake 2 is going to flop hard. The remastered original already underperformed 'Alan Wake Remastered has sold less than Remedy hoped.'

It's a sequel to a 6/10 game that was originally released 13 years ago! How could it possibly succeed?

and it's an epic exclusive, and the specs are ludicrous, and it has a season pass that the devs are going to be forced to make content for even though nowhere near enough people will have bought the base game to justify it. So what exactly does it have going for it?

It's gonna have to get 10/10s across the board to spark any interest. Remedy is a publically traded company (who knew?) My hot stock tip of the week is to sell now/ or buy and hope for an acquisition post gigaflop.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/infernal-bundle

Infernal Bundle on Fanatical - $6.66 for:

quote:

Graveyard Keeper
Sucker for Love
Search Party
Horror Of Salazar
Nine Witches - Family Disruption
SPOOKWARE

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Koburn posted:

and it's an epic exclusive,

Haha wait I completely forgot about that, yeah, it's going to fall into a black hole where no enthusiasm or interest will ever eacape

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Jack Trades posted:

I wouldn't be nearly that harsh, but I'd call it a 7/10 game with 10/10 production values. Really could have used more mechanical and visual variety (though I haven't touched the DLCs yet, maybe they're a bit better in that regard).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Koburn posted:

Alan Wake 2 is going to flop hard. The remastered original already underperformed 'Alan Wake Remastered has sold less than Remedy hoped.'

It's a sequel to a 6/10 game that was originally released 13 years ago! How could it possibly succeed?

and it's an epic exclusive, and the specs are ludicrous, and it has a season pass that the devs are going to be forced to make content for even though nowhere near enough people will have bought the base game to justify it. So what exactly does it have going for it?

It's gonna have to get 10/10s across the board to spark any interest. Remedy is a publically traded company (who knew?) My hot stock tip of the week is to sell now/ or buy and hope for an acquisition post gigaflop.

Eh the Epic exclusivity may cover most or even all dev costs. Probably why they've gone nuts with the specs as it might not really matter how much it initially sells.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Koburn posted:

I really likied AW1 more than I should but I also agree with all of this. I don't see any way this works well for Remedy, you see people showing how many more sales they get as soon as their Epic exclusive game comes to Steam and this isn't ever going to happen for AW2 because it's funded in part by Epic. Besides being a sequel to a game not a ton of people loved it really seems like if a game comes out on Epic only it just gets no advertising at all outside of the Epic store front page.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Control had issues, like the mod system was kaka and the skill tree was wonky but boy did the gameplay feel so drat good. Whatever faults it had the things that work really worked and picked up the slack of the things that didn't.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I probably spent more time finding ways to walk on people's heads and dying in safe places like his apartment, but it was still good for a weekly session.
Never going to play AW2 if I have to spend $1000 just to meet minimum. I'll probably get the remaster.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Koburn posted:

thank you for your hot stock tip. i now know to either sell, or buy, Remedy stock

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Koburn posted:

Reviewers who have been able to play parts of it early have been giving it praise, I'm optimistic about it being a quality game even if it doesn't necessarily have broad appeal. System specs are a bit scary though, I don't expect to be able to run it with with all the settings cranked up but hopefully I can still scrape by on mid-low.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Squiggle posted:

Haha wait I completely forgot about that, yeah, it's going to fall into a black hole where no enthusiasm or interest will ever eacape

I'm keeping my eyes on it and am targeting the PS5 version if it has acceptable performance. I know Control ran like rear end at launch on PS4, I'm hoping this one is improved.

I really enjoyed AW1 for all the reasons people hate it. Very eurojank and I love it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm keeping my eyes on it and am targeting the PS5 version if it has acceptable performance. I know Control ran like rear end at launch on PS4, I'm hoping this one is improved.

I really enjoyed AW1 for all the reasons people hate it. Very eurojank and I love it.

Alan Wake isn't even a little Eurojank what

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Remedy is a Finnish studio, so the correct term is Uraljank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Koburn posted:

and it's an epic exclusive

Oh it is? lol