Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The Black Stones posted:

I recorded it so if I figure it out I could post my SM2 bug where Peter turned into a cube and I could thwip around as a cube. There was one or two outfits that would bring him back to normal. I simply saved and quit. Game then crashed and I went back in and everything was fine.

It was a funny bug.

I saw this in a discord, but unfortunately there was a pretty big spoiler surrounding it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGDCE6Nrz0

Insomniac bringing the classics back to life.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

i've been dealing with this for years with Remote Play on PC and have never been able to figure out a fix. every so often I will get intermittent frame drops; they only last a few seconds and then it's smooth again for a while. I clipped this down but was recording for about 8 minutes before it happened. the audio stutters here too, but it doesn't always, which is strange. I know a wired connection is often suggested but that's not an option for me; the router is downstairs and my PC is in my office. and like, the point of remote play is not to be tethered to a router so that can't be the only solve.

I tried powerline adapters once upon a time, that didn't work. Today I tried setting static DNS to cloudflare's, that obviously didn't work. My PS5 is wired into to the router, my PC is on wifi but gets a consistent 400+ mbps whenever i run a speedtest. I recorded my whole desktop screen here because I wanted to see if maybe it was my wifi card dropping signal or something, but you can see it stays pretty steady while the stutter is happening. ran a ping test this morning and have 0 latency. what gives? anybody know what I can do? i tried remote play on my old macbook last night, in the same room as the router, and it happened there too. on mac it even gives a "your connection is unstable" message or something to that effect. halp!

https://imgur.com/yCoQWi9
edit: vid embed not working

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 24, 2023

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Welcome to Remote Play, more or less.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's probably just momentary packet loss or latency. There's not really too much you can do about it except maybe use something like Wifi Analyser on your phone to see if the channel your router is using is particularly congested by other people in the area

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I’ve had to restart a few of the multi step crimes because it won’t progress

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I've switched to a STR/Radiance build and it seems to be pretty crushing - literally with this 30 STR/30 RAD grand sword. The big issue is that you never really feel stronger - since the enemies repeat endlessly no matter what level it just feels like poor scaling. They can still chunk you if they get a good hit in. The guy with the spikey helmet is back from the 1st level. The archer boss with dogs is everywhere. Now they introduced a new mob that is a caster that has death beams and pisses blood thorns that chunk your health.

It's annoying. But I just cheese things out - the AI is so loving dumb that if I get the jump I toss a poison grenade and they just stand there. From had some of this too of course. I used this method to kill the Ruiner boss fight - I hate that loving enemy. He's too strong as a regular mob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwUWrntYj_E

E: Demons Souls had the Scraping Spear that ruined all your gear so you had to repair it - even if you won. :lol: I loving hate PVP

I just got to that Ruiner guy, at least the boss version of it. My favorite part about that nonsense is that you run through a gauntlet filled with some of the most annoying things imaginable and there isn't even a place to respawn. Not even a spot you can put those stupid seed things down, at least none I saw. Their idea of encounter design is putting dozen of enemies in your way supported by a ranged enemies, putting enemies behind crates constantly, or enemies that just keep respawning. It's really a masterclass in not what to do when you mimic From games. Speaking of mimic, their version of the mimic sucks too. Gonna just go ahead and watch the little flame on that designates an item for a hour and see if it swishes side to side violently. It's so subtle and kills the pacing dead. Guess the development team thought that a huge chain facing the wrong way was too obvious and wanted to improve upon those hacks at Fromsoft.

It wouldn't be half as bad but the lock-on is so buggy and janky that it makes fighting multiple enemies, something you do constantly, really really annoying. You either lock-on to an enemy behind the closest one, can't lock-on at all because it takes a forever for them to become available after you destroy their cover or the camera is a pixel off, and you lose lock-on because you or they attack past you. The camera likes to violently move around too because fights get so incredibly hectic. This game should be studied in a lab because most decisions they made in terms of combat and level design are all completely wrong - not in a copying From kind of way but in a "is this actually fun" kind of way. It's actually quite impressive and makes you appreciate From's and even games like Nioh (I've not played Lies of P yet) level design. When I talk about level design, I don't mean the physical space itself, that's fine, but it's that and the placement of enemies and your options to dealing with them.

Edit: I just want to add that I'm also dual-wielding and in this game it's like a power stance in a From game, for an easy comparison. However unlike a From game the combos aren't simple. In Elden Ring if you dual katanas, you do a one-two attack three times that ends in a big slash. In Lords you do two side to side attacks, followed by a vertical attack followed by an extremely long uninterruptible four-slash attack. The kicker too is that you can and will often times hit with only one weapon. Dual-wielding causes you to do less damage per hit per weapon too. So if you dual-wield a sword that does 100 damage on its own you'll be hitting for about ~70-80. I guess they figured you'd be hitting with two so you'll be actually doing ~140-160 damage. It is more powerful bit it's such a weird and awkward system that it makes dual-wielding feel like crap.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 24, 2023

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JoeGlassJAw posted:

i've been dealing with this for years with Remote Play on PC and have never been able to figure out a fix. every so often I will get intermittent frame drops; they only last a few seconds and then it's smooth again for a while. I clipped this down but was recording for about 8 minutes before it happened. the audio stutters here too, but it doesn't always, which is strange. I know a wired connection is often suggested but that's not an option for me; the router is downstairs and my PC is in my office. and like, the point of remote play is not to be tethered to a router so that can't be the only solve.

I tried powerline adapters once upon a time, that didn't work. Today I tried setting static DNS to cloudflare's, that obviously didn't work. My PS5 is wired into to the router, my PC is on wifi but gets a consistent 400+ mbps whenever i run a speedtest. I recorded my whole desktop screen here because I wanted to see if maybe it was my wifi card dropping signal or something, but you can see it stays pretty steady while the stutter is happening. ran a ping test this morning and have 0 latency. what gives? anybody know what I can do? i tried remote play on my old macbook last night, in the same room as the router, and it happened there too. on mac it even gives a "your connection is unstable" message or something to that effect. halp!

https://imgur.com/yCoQWi9
edit: vid embed not working

I'd blame the wifi. Wifi can get latency spikes when the network is under load or there's a lot of crosstalk from multiple devices on the network, or collisions from other wifi networks on the same or nearby channels, and it would manifest during game streaming as frames getting dropped and audio briefly cutting out. Speed tests aren't much affected by latency spikes and ping tests may not produce enough load to cause them. Potential problems to rule out first: too many devices on the network for any one device to maintain a consistent connection, old wifi hardware on the router, old wifi hardware on the PC/mac. I'd start ruling out problems by testing under ideal conditions: the only device on the wifi is the remote play client. Back up your router config, then rename the wifi network to guarantee nothing is using it, connect your PC/mac to it and try remote play. If that performs well then you either have too many devices on the network or an old router that can't handle them all. If it doesn't perform well then try changing the channel in router settings in case your neighbor's wifi is colliding with yours. If that doesn't work then try upgrading your router and wifi hardware. If that doesn't work or you already have new stuff then you're probably screwed by thick walls or some other physical impediment. In that case try using 2.4GHz wifi since it passes through obstructions more easily than 5GHz.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

acksplode posted:

I'd blame the wifi. Wifi can get latency spikes when the network is under load or there's a lot of crosstalk from multiple devices on the network, or collisions from other wifi networks on the same or nearby channels, and it would manifest during game streaming as frames getting dropped and audio briefly cutting out. Speed tests aren't much affected by latency spikes and ping tests may not produce enough load to cause them. Potential problems to rule out first: too many devices on the network for any one device to maintain a consistent connection, old wifi hardware on the router, old wifi hardware on the PC/mac. I'd start ruling out problems by testing under ideal conditions: the only device on the wifi is the remote play client. Back up your router config, then rename the wifi network to guarantee nothing is using it, connect your PC/mac to it and try remote play. If that performs well then you either have too many devices on the network or an old router that can't handle them all. If it doesn't perform well then try changing the channel in router settings in case your neighbor's wifi is colliding with yours. If that doesn't work then try upgrading your router and wifi hardware. If that doesn't work or you already have new stuff then you're probably screwed by thick walls or some other physical impediment. In that case try using 2.4GHz wifi since it passes through obstructions more easily than 5GHz.

Just make a gamer cave strung with Ethernet cables everywhere imo.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

acksplode posted:

thanks for the details here. i should've mentioned i previously changed my router's settings to a less trafficked channel. we both work from home so it will be tough to find a time to take everybody off the internet but I'll maybe try that one day when she's out of town. we do have a lot of devices connected so i suspect that could be it.

weirdly, it just stuttered again but the dialogue audio didn't stutter; just the background noise. but i imagine that's just some nuance of remote play and probably not pointing at a different route cause. i appreciate the suggestions!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JoeGlassJAw posted:

thanks for the details here. i should've mentioned i previously changed my router's settings to a less trafficked channel. we both work from home so it will be tough to find a time to take everybody off the internet but I'll maybe try that one day when she's out of town. we do have a lot of devices connected so i suspect that could be it.

weirdly, it just stuttered again but the dialogue audio didn't stutter; just the background noise. but i imagine that's just some nuance of remote play and probably not pointing at a different route cause. i appreciate the suggestions!

One less disruptive option you could try is buy a new router, wire it into your current one, and set it to wifi access point only mode. Then set it up with a wifi network (on a channel far from your other router's) and proceed to testing. If it doesn't help, just return it.

unattended spaghetti posted:

Just make a gamer cave strung with Ethernet cables everywhere imo.

Yeah sigh. Though I get excellent mileage out of plugging all my stuff into an Orbi satellite that connects to the base router over a private wireless backhaul. Wifi can be about as reliable as a cable when there are only a couple devices on the network.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The only notable bug I've received in SM2 so far is during a fight in a steel mill the game did that thing where an enemy is about to fall to his death so a web comes out to tether him to a wall but because the only thing close by was a rickety walkway it tethered him to that and started slamming him into it over and over again to the point that the noise of him hitting it was playing during the cutscene after

Pete can claim that Spider-Man doesn't kill but that guy is 100% dead

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Wow this one is nuts. Im not sure how this guy has sussed out so much environmental design that everyone else has missed.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Which one of you is this

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lol what a fuckin wimp, Spider-Man 2 is less woke than a very special episode of Saved by the Bell. An early Miles mission has you attending a fair at his school where there's a booth promoting safe sex and I don't think they even say the word "sex". It's so carefully sanded down to avoid inflaming any passions whatsoever

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You just have to realize that for a lot of those manchild losers even acknowledging that women exist and have their own agency is enough to for them to bitch and complain about ~*~politics~*~. Just a bunch of children living in a bubble.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

Lol what a fuckin wimp, Spider-Man 2 is less woke than a very special episode of Saved by the Bell. An early Miles mission has you attending a fair at his school where there's a booth promoting safe sex and I don't think they even say the word "sex". It's so carefully sanded down to avoid inflaming any passions whatsoever

It's a booth promoting Planned Parenthood stuff (and which has a lot of the 'we're here for you if you need us' abortion-support sort of flyers), which is why there are people upset because it is basically a plausibly deniable "Miles looks right at the camera and says Planned Parenthood is good, actually." Which would be better if it lacked the plausible deniability!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

south park the fractured but whole had the best politicized slider in any game ever

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SM2's heavy emphasis on social awareness is occasionally (okay, a bit more than occasionally) kind of... much, but the whole game commits to it so hard you can't really fault them for it. Like, they clearly took a step back after the bit of criticism the first game got for how much of a cop Spider-Man could be and pretty much completely ditched that angle. No doing drug busts, no Spider-Cop (outside of one joking reference to it by another character), no cop helpers. That, at least, tells me it's not a hollow or token effort.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I love that Ganke always makes sure Hailey can understand what he’s saying and even slows down his speech like someone who doesn’t have a full grip on ASL does. All the inclusion in SM2 rules.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jimbot posted:

I just got to that Ruiner guy, at least the boss version of it. My favorite part about that nonsense is that you run through a gauntlet filled with some of the most annoying things imaginable and there isn't even a place to respawn. Not even a spot you can put those stupid seed things down, at least none I saw. Their idea of encounter design is putting dozen of enemies in your way supported by a ranged enemies, putting enemies behind crates constantly, or enemies that just keep respawning. It's really a masterclass in not what to do when you mimic From games. Speaking of mimic, their version of the mimic sucks too. Gonna just go ahead and watch the little flame on that designates an item for a hour and see if it swishes side to side violently. It's so subtle and kills the pacing dead. Guess the development team thought that a huge chain facing the wrong way was too obvious and wanted to improve upon those hacks at Fromsoft.

It wouldn't be half as bad but the lock-on is so buggy and janky that it makes fighting multiple enemies, something you do constantly, really really annoying. You either lock-on to an enemy behind the closest one, can't lock-on at all because it takes a forever for them to become available after you destroy their cover or the camera is a pixel off, and you lose lock-on because you or they attack past you. The camera likes to violently move around too because fights get so incredibly hectic. This game should be studied in a lab because most decisions they made in terms of combat and level design are all completely wrong - not in a copying From kind of way but in a "is this actually fun" kind of way. It's actually quite impressive and makes you appreciate From's and even games like Nioh (I've not played Lies of P yet) level design. When I talk about level design, I don't mean the physical space itself, that's fine, but it's that and the placement of enemies and your options to dealing with them.

Edit: I just want to add that I'm also dual-wielding and in this game it's like a power stance in a From game, for an easy comparison. However unlike a From game the combos aren't simple. In Elden Ring if you dual katanas, you do a one-two attack three times that ends in a big slash. In Lords you do two side to side attacks, followed by a vertical attack followed by an extremely long uninterruptible four-slash attack. The kicker too is that you can and will often times hit with only one weapon. Dual-wielding causes you to do less damage per hit per weapon too. So if you dual-wield a sword that does 100 damage on its own you'll be hitting for about ~70-80. I guess they figured you'd be hitting with two so you'll be actually doing ~140-160 damage. It is more powerful bit it's such a weird and awkward system that it makes dual-wielding feel like crap.

Despite all this poo poo - go to r/lordsofthefallen - people falling over themselves fellating the game devs and saying it's actually GREAT - one of the BEST. How dare you say bad things - feel bad for the devs!! They have put out a patch almost every day for the PC - consoles were 5 versions behind until yesterday but they put out another patch today for Steam. :lol: Game was CLEARLY ready, eh?

It's sold a million copies though so they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I love that Ganke always makes sure Hailey can understand what he’s saying and even slows down his speech like someone who doesn’t have a full grip on ASL does. All the inclusion in SM2 rules.

moving the woke slider all the way to the right so miles is now dating a not-hearing-impaired white cheerleader, ganke wears a trucker cap and loves to roll coal and his mom is now campaigning to make it illegal for homeless people to use park benches

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Fix posted:

The most common thing that I would call a bug is that little interaction points in the walk around scenes don't get their button prompts until I walk away and approach them again. It's a tiny thing but it happens all the time.

Yeah this is the only “bug” I’ve found, inconsistent prompts. That and the game crashed once. But it loads so fast I didn’t care.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

moving the woke slider all the way to the right so miles is now dating a not-hearing-impaired white cheerleader, ganke wears a trucker cap and loves to roll coal and his mom is now campaigning to make it illegal for homeless people to use park benches

If you move the woke slider all the way to the right Ganke's name changed to Ned Leeds.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I finally tried fast travel on SM2 and I think it must have the record fast travel speed of any game. I didn’t even see a transition, I was just suddenly swinging around on the other side of town. Not that it matters too much either way since traversal is so drat good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I finally tried fast travel on SM2 and I think it must have the record fast travel speed of any game. I didn’t even see a transition, I was just suddenly swinging around on the other side of town. Not that it matters too much either way since traversal is so drat good.

It probably does, just because it's the first time a studio has been able to assume 100% of users have a top-class SSD and also have the internal toolchain developed to really take advantage of it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’d be interested in seeing it side by side with the fast travel on Ghost of Tsushima, that was also a ridiculously fast system which was even wilder because it was fast as hell on the PS4 too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

It probably does, just because it's the first time a studio has been able to assume 100% of users have a top-class SSD and also have the internal toolchain developed to really take advantage of it

It's gonna be an interesting PC port in a couple years

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was a video released early in the PS5 hype process showing a modified copy of Spiderman 1 that demonstrated how much faster you could move through the world on SSD compared to the PS4's spinning disc drive, but I can't find it right now. It was at least a 3x speedup, and that was before deep optimization, just with latency way down and transfer rate way up under the old engine

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I believe that was the now legendary Cerny Lecture

https://youtu.be/ph8LyNIT9sg?si=crvCMc3g6mMcsiTC

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’d be interested in seeing it side by side with the fast travel on Ghost of Tsushima, that was also a ridiculously fast system which was even wilder because it was fast as hell on the PS4 too.

It beats GoT, which is wild because GoT blew my loving mind with its load time wizardry

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Demons Souls was like that too - you just suddenly zoned into the world in a gorgeous world. PS5 wizardry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV6PO1T7xPk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/DeMickyD/status/1714782452093178075

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spider-Man 2 is impressive not just because it is instant but because it is universal. You can just teleport anywhere on the map and at best it'll move you a few inches over to make sure you don't spawn in a building

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

doesnt take that long, what is this ....xbox version????

pc morrowind you could console your athletics to 1000 and jump across the map faster than spider-man 2 could ever dream

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Aipsh posted:

I believe that was the now legendary Cerny Lecture

https://youtu.be/ph8LyNIT9sg?si=crvCMc3g6mMcsiTC

It wasn't in this video, but I did find this very poor quality version:

https://twitter.com/6d6f636869/status/1130645990627631105

Traversal speed demo starts at 0:20

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Yeah this is the only “bug” I’ve found, inconsistent prompts. That and the game crashed once. But it loads so fast I didn’t care.

I don’t know if this is a bug or what but about half the time when I launch the game I have to sit through the all the logos at the beginning, and the other half it’s super quick straight to the main menu.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

It wasn't in this video, but I did find this very poor quality version:

https://twitter.com/6d6f636869/status/1130645990627631105

Traversal speed demo starts at 0:20

I wanna say Sony never released that video publicly, only showed it to press

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ShoogaSlim posted:

south park the fractured but whole had the best politicized slider in any game ever

lol yeah. Those games are so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Heh. Bone Lord.