Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Not So Fast posted:

Is the Seraphon box good for someone considering getting back into the game? I have a box of the Saurus Knights lying around from UKGE and I keep meaning to pick up painting minis again.

I'm not usually big on Kroxigors personally, but the rest of that box is full of stuff you'll likely use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Feeple posted:

I'm not usually big on Kroxigors personally, but the rest of that box is full of stuff you'll likely use.

It's a pretty solid box for a Koatl's Claw list - the Slaan, Lancers, and Warriors are in basically 100% of competitive lists, and Kroxigors / Hunters show up surprisingly often.

If you're interested in the Starborne side of Seraphon it's mostly a dud, though.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I got the CoS box and now I want to add something else to my army. Out of this week’s releases, which one would you say is the most essential?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I mean, I think it kinda depends on what type of army you want to play? The cavalier marshal goes really well with the knights you already have, and the command corps is mandatory for one of the battle tactics, so those are good buys. I’m really into the idea of a gunline so I’ll be buying fusiliers and fusil-majors, plus a cannon, though I think of those three only the fusiliers are actually good.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Hierophant and fusiliers seem like the easiest picks+ the command squad

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/24/summon-the-evergreen-hunt-with-belthanos-first-thorn-of-kurnoth/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/8YB76iD5m93MsEjP.pdf

Have the rules for Belthanos.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Man, people are already asking if Alarielle can summon Belthanos with her Soul Amphorae :frogout:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Man, Im so torn between doing bugs and dinosaurs next. What am I, 5?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I went from vampires to angry trees and bugs. I do not regret my decision at all. The only downside is I’m just barely at 2000 points and don’t have any of the models for this new army of renown. I thought about also building a StD army but I think I’m all in on Sylvaneth with this release.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Miles O'Brian posted:

Man, Im so torn between doing bugs and dinosaurs next. What am I, 5?

Or you could play Tyranids and have bug-dinosaurs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
How viable is a dino army full of gators these days? I'm not as interested in playing Starborne but I love the idea of a table full of Big Bashy Gator Bois. Something like:

- Saurus Old One on Carnosaur
- Saurus Old One
- Skink Starseer
- 6x Aggradons
- 6x Aggradons
- 20x Saurus Warriors with spears
- 10x Skinks with daggers and bucklers
- Bastiladon with Solar Engine

Just a big whollop punch

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Saurus in Koatl's Claw are fully viable but you probably want a Slann.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Count Thrashula posted:

How viable is a dino army full of gators these days? I'm not as interested in playing Starborne but I love the idea of a table full of Big Bashy Gator Bois. Something like:

- Saurus Old One
- Skink Starseer
- 6x Aggradons
- 6x Aggradons

Just a big whollop punch

Solid and hard to kill but if things don't go your way there's not a lot of tricks. Also you'll always be going "that's my whole army?"
They're doing fine though. You'll still want a slann prob.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think I'll buy that Ossiarch Bonereapers box but sell the then third harvester or something

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Kinda bummed they didn't do a box for Ironjawz - they got a bunch of new units and could have done a thematic box with the big pig and some Gore-gruntas. With the new Orruk vanguard box just being pure Kruleboyz on top of that, there's basically no way to save money buying IJ stuff.

They weren't going to let you save money in a holiday box on a model line that just released unless they bundle it with something that basically never moves and you probably don't want, killing the value of the box, like they did with the space marines.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Or you could play Tyranids and have bug-dinosaurs.

Yeah but then you are playing wh40k and why woud you do that to yourself

Count Thrashula posted:

- Saurus Old One
- Skink Starseer
- 6x Aggradons
- 6x Aggradons

Just a big whollop punch
I would maybe drop bastilodon and foot old one for slann

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...soon-to-the-us/

Stormbringer magazine is coming to the US at last.

Before you ask, obviously there's an exclusive subscription model.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

when do orders for the battleforce usually kick into gear?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
First Saturday of December usually.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...soon-to-the-us/

Stormbringer magazine is coming to the US at last.

Before you ask, obviously there's an exclusive subscription model.

Wish it was NA so Canada was included.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
"It’s only available in the US via subscription“

This helps with the scalper issue but I liked just picking up the occasional interesting Imperium. Hope its in newsagents in Aus.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've got a work bonus coming soon and I'm looking to finally get into Soulbright Gravelords. Is the Battleforce box from a couple years ago the best place to start? Or the Vanguard box? Both? That'd leave me with like 40 Zombies but maybe that's a good thing?

It's hard for me to settle on a list I want to buy/build toward since all the character models are so good :(

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Here is the thing about SBG right now, in two parts.

1) None of their boxes but the old battleforce box are good, and the old one is good mostly because it has a shitload of zombies. The models they've bundled generally just don't mesh together, and the new box is real bad about that particular part. You'll want to know exactly what subfaction you want to go with before you start buying vampires, unless you plan to grab the whole range.

2) Zombies are the problem with the SBG meta right now. If you start this army, you probably want to have a lot. If you use a lot of zombies, you are being That Guy. Whether this is an acceptable value proposition is something you've gotta decide for yourself.

Do you have a particular favorite model or unit that's drawing you to the faction? That might help narrow down how to best approach things.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I like Mannfred as a character so much, but I also really like Belladamma. Sounds like if I get a bunch of zombies, skellies, wolves, and bats, that could be the core of either one.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

grassy gnoll posted:

Here is the thing about SBG right now, in two parts.

1) None of their boxes but the old battleforce box are good, and the old one is good mostly because it has a shitload of zombies. The models they've bundled generally just don't mesh together, and the new box is real bad about that particular part. You'll want to know exactly what subfaction you want to go with before you start buying vampires, unless you plan to grab the whole range.

2) Zombies are the problem with the SBG meta right now. If you start this army, you probably want to have a lot. If you use a lot of zombies, you are being That Guy. Whether this is an acceptable value proposition is something you've gotta decide for yourself.

Do you have a particular favorite model or unit that's drawing you to the faction? That might help narrow down how to best approach things.

The zombie thing does not seem to be that much of an issue post nerf. The last 5-0 at a big tournament was Tom Guan with a Vamp lord on zombie dragon, Mannfred and zero zombies iirc.

*it may have been someone else (Ronja?) and not Tom, I think he switched to OBR?

Majkol fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 27, 2023

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What if you really like skeletons, black knights and graveguard? Maybe put a Vampire on a Terrorgheist and go all in on boney bois?

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 27, 2023

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

This is second place from 42 people tournament from like 2 weeks ago and it does not lean hard into zombies

Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (400)**
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (480)
Vampire Lord (150)*
Necromancer (100)*

20 x Deadwalker Zombies (150)**
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (150)**
3 x Fell Bats (90)**
3 x Fell Bats (90)**
20 x Grave Guard (320)**

Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 1970 / 2000

Another list from top table of 90 people gt from 3 weeks ago - also like 1 squad of zombies

Leaders
Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (400)**
King Morlak Velmorn (220)**
Necromancer (100)*
Necromancer (100)**
Vampire Lord (150)*

Battleline
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (150)
3 x Fell Bats (90)
3 x Fell Bats (90)

Units
8 x Askurgan Trueblades (180)**
20 x Grave Guard (320)
10 x Grave Guard (160)
4 x The Sons of Velmorn (0)

Total: 1960 / 2000

You don't really need a lot of them

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 27, 2023

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I do see Mannfred getting used a lot, is he basically an auto-include?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

It would appear so - he and vlozd are present in top lists more often than anything else at this point from the looks of it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

All hail the trans rights skeleton monster

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

All hail the trans rights skeleton monster

Ain't no gender in a big skeletal monster, it's just a construct.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
On the inside, we're all skeletons.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

non-bonery

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
How does an Ossiarch kill their enemies? They / Them

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Topically enough, I found a great local deal on a huge OBR collection so looks like I'm doing that instead of Vamps

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Born on the 21st of May:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Found a CoS starter box thing on a FLGS website. Based off the goonhammer article. I'm excited for these footies. But how viable is a multiple Steam Tank army? I built three of them - I love steam tanks. They're literally just fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/31/dear-reader-the-honour-of-your-presence-is-requested-at-a-feast-most-magnificent/

You're all invited to a great feast.