Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

busalover posted:

Watching Youtube with ads these past few days was really surreal, there's so much qanon-type level bullshit getting peddled, it was eye-opening. How is this even legal? I feel like back in the 1800s listening to some quack selling me snake oil from the back of his carriage.

There are so many AI generated scam ads, many impersonating real news organizations that I'm surprised YouTube isn't getting sued for fraud or something for making money off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

busalover posted:

Watching Youtube with ads these past few days was really surreal, there's so much qanon-type level bullshit getting peddled, it was eye-opening. How is this even legal? I feel like back in the 1800s listening to some quack selling me snake oil from the back of his carriage.

I remember when I used to hear about 1800s grifts and thought that better public education and childhood nutrition had put an end to that kind of thing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my favroite are all the fake musk tesla poo poo. both scam videos/channels and ads.

also is it true some ads are longer than the "host" video itself?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Internet Old One posted:

I remember when I used to hear about 1800s grifts and thought that better public education and childhood nutrition had put an end to that kind of thing.

why do you think grifters attack public education and better childhood nutrition any opportunity they get

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Chrs posted:

Last week I was having this message a lot. At one point Youtube even threatened to count to 3 and if I didn't turn off my ad blocker they'd block me from watching anything at all (Literally told me they'd let me watch three more videos lol)

But this week I've had Youtube videos running all day whilst I've been at work at not seen any ads or pop ups. So I guess we're back to business as usual?

Adblock devs are winning the race at the moment and unless YouTube does something drastic that's probably not going to change.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

I rather dont use youtube or any other videoplatform than getting ads.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

hot date tonight! posted:

Adblock devs are winning the race at the moment and unless YouTube does something drastic that's probably not going to change.

Even if uBlock is defeated, the next layer is ready AdNauseam

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Yeah a few days ago I noticed my Firefox Ad block extension had an update and I haven't noticed anymore Youtube Ad Fuckery since then. I'm guessing so far they're keeping ahead.

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
Not to derail and forgive me and disregard if this serves as that, but is anyone concerned with the MSM takeover / collab and attempt to shut down independent media on YT? I sincerely want the best for everything but it seems (to me) at least really sus the attack on Brand.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Apparently switching your user User Agent ID to 'Windows Phone' removes ads, because of a conflict with Terms of Service or something.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I've seen one (1) ad in my life that ever caught my attention and it was for some badass collapsible steel staff thing

Should bought it....

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

busalover posted:

Apparently switching your user User Agent ID to 'Windows Phone' removes ads, because of a conflict with Terms of Service or something.
lmao please let this be real

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

verbal enema posted:

I've seen one (1) ad in my life that ever caught my attention and it was for some badass collapsible steel staff thing

Should bought it....

The only time an "advert" worked on me was the Pica Pencil that Laura Kampf and Adam Savage use, but that's because its actually a good pencil and I was in the market for a decent mechanical pencil at the time.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Also for all this talk of an adblocking race, the uBlock Origin extension for Firefox hasn’t been updated since September 23 and is still working just fine 🤷🏻 is it really just Chrome and derivatives getting hit with this warning?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The extension probably hasn't been. The filter lists should have been updated in the last few hours~day.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I haven't got the ad block notice on Chrome in about a week using uBlock.

I'm almost wondering if they're checking by public IP or something and not penalizing people who still see ads occasionally on some platform in their house. Like I put up with them on my phone and Google TV so I'm seeing some ads but everything is blocked on my laptop/desktop.

a5minutebeatdown
Oct 24, 2023
the internet is slowly becoming unusable due to Crime

a5minutebeatdown
Oct 24, 2023
and no one is talking about it, like everything else

Vakal
May 11, 2008

a5minutebeatdown posted:

the internet is slowly becoming unusable due to Crime

much like how society will eventually collapse and people will go back to living in tribes loosely connected though marriages, the internet is destined to go back to web-rings.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

TACD posted:

Also for all this talk of an adblocking race, the uBlock Origin extension for Firefox hasn’t been updated since September 23 and is still working just fine 🤷🏻 is it really just Chrome and derivatives getting hit with this warning?

nah it looks they're just rolling out seemingly at random with different types of ad block blocking. i was the same (firefox and ublock origin) and hadn't seen anything until yesterday. now i get a pop up saying something like "adblockers are not allowed" and two choices like, "don't block ads" and "subscribe to premium".

for now i can close the pop up and carry on blocking ads but i think some people were saying they were getting a "three chances then we ban your account" type pop up.

i still have complete faith that the adblockers will prevail though

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I just got a loading screen twice for two ads, one 30 sec and one 15 sec one, before the video started playing, so the YT devils are still trying to get around/through adblockers.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Let them try...

:getin:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The main issue with ads is that they simply take too long, so we should re-introduce blipverts instead: concentrated video bursts that blast 10 minutes of ads to the brain in only 10 seconds.

Warning: may cause seizures and/or spontaneous human combustion in 8% of viewers.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Sentinel Red posted:

The main issue with ads is that they simply take too long, so we should re-introduce blipverts instead: concentrated video bursts that blast 10 minutes of ads to the brain in only 10 seconds.

Warning: may cause seizures and/or spontaneous human combustion in 8% of viewers.

That reminds me of that MST3K episode (Trucker's Woman) where there's a random split second shot of pizza in the movie. Supposedly, it was done by a theater owner who would splice in single frames of food to try to drive concessions sales.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Youtube started pulling this poo poo on me last week. Started with a pop-up, then a pop-up with a timer, then the "you have three more videos to watch" and finally just put up the warning in the video window with no way to get out of it.

Installed Firefox and back to having no issues.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Edmund Sparkler posted:

That reminds me of that MST3K episode (Trucker's Woman) where there's a random split second shot of pizza in the movie. Supposedly, it was done by a theater owner who would splice in single frames of food to try to drive concessions sales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_in_the_Haunted_House

Mediocre film but the psychorama split second shots are off putting in a “the gently caress was that” way. Ye olde jump scares.

It’s on YouTube in full as My World Dies Screaming.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
They should make more ads in the style of the terry crews old spice commercials and the black/white failing-miserably-at-menial-tasks infomercial one I would watch those instead of worthless poo poo about remortgaging homes or medicine for people that have three forms of lung cancer

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

nah it looks they're just rolling out seemingly at random with different types of ad block blocking. i was the same (firefox and ublock origin) and hadn't seen anything until yesterday. now i get a pop up saying something like "adblockers are not allowed" and two choices like, "don't block ads" and "subscribe to premium".

for now i can close the pop up and carry on blocking ads but i think some people were saying they were getting a "three chances then we ban your account" type pop up.

I'm on Firefox and uBlock and got the "3 strikes and you're out" warning followed by "that's it, you're done. No more videos unless you turn off the blocker." A few days of downloading the videos and watching them afterwards and it's back to normal with no ads or warnings or anything.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goatface posted:

The extension probably hasn't been. The filter lists should have been updated in the last few hours~day.
oh ya that makes sense

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I guess it would make sense to do a VAC-ban style thing where you don’t get the warning immediately, to try to prevent people figuring out what’s triggering it.

What happens if you ignore the three-strikes warning? Blocked from YouTube or do they nuke your whole Google account?

E: oh well that got answered quickly

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I managed to find the right instructions on refreshing the ublock filters and haven't gotten the pop-up since. Weirdly enough my MacBook was the only thing that had them in the first place.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

now noticing that when i click "subscriptions" it still does take me to my subscriptions feed but it scrolls it down so that the row of "shorts" (which i do not want, btw) is at the top of the viewport. what is the point of this? if you want that to be the first thing i see put it at the top of the page and stop making me have to scroll back up whenever i want to actually see new uploads

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

basically, stop trying to force your tiktok-ification of the site on me. or at least be honest about it

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Blocktube can erase all Shorts from existence if that's what you want to do.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

hmm. Perhaps

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

youtube has been fine for me on desktop/work laptop in firefox+ublock

if I watch youtube videos on my phone through the app I still get ads so that anecdotally backs up the theory that if you see some they may give you a pass?

also I stopped paying for any music streaming awhile ago and even on phone I've been using firefox+ublock and putting on album playlists through youtube (it even lets me leave the window or turn my screen off, another fake premium feature youtube offers) but the other day it started having a popup I'd have to manually close for each video saying to use the app, but this seems to have gone away for now?

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

also I can see this slowly creeping to 10 minutes of hyper ads showing your brain an hour

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn
I've gotten blocked twice now. The 3 vid countdown ran out instantly when I refreshed my tabs to see if ublock was just slow to catch it. Manually updating my filters fixed it (last auto update was like 7 hours ago). In the meantime, embedded and incognito vids (with adbock) played normally. Not being banned, just "blocked", means I can still view video urls, so I could always just download them if I was desperate. :shrug:

If you don't use subscriptions or regularly watch stuff that gets labeled Mature, just not logging in is definitely a valid option (with ublock, ofc).

Or just try again later, when ad/ublock will have likely fixed it lol

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Edmund Sparkler posted:

hey isn't that like Fight Club and the alleged frames of :dong: that were added in

guess that's only related if it was a sausage pizza huh

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn
Got a new variant: Now videos load with a black/blank thumbnail and play button. Clicking play loads for a bit, then finishes as a black/blank 0:00 video. No You Are Blocked message or anything, just broken videos.

Manually updating all filters fixed it again, np!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Google pays Apple 18 Bil a year to make their search default on iPhone.

All Google services are riddled with ads on Android phones. Open an app and you get "PLEASE RATE THIS NOW IN THE PLAY STORE". The play store has now become like Amazon where the first 2 or 3 results are ads or "sponsored" links. There are Android settings to control what ads you see and which ones you'd like targeted to you. Imagine paying $500-$1000 for a device that is just going to spam you every time you click or view. They are worse than Samsung.

They'll get people to pay for premium and I bet will soon charge more for an Ad-free tier or start showing ads when you pause. Kinda like Hulu and Prime are about to do.

DuckDuckGo has a browser which features a video player to block all the YT ad garbage.