Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
9 calls, 3 texts, and 15 emails from different recruiters all regarding the same poo poo job with the same poo poo pay.

It's today. Today is pissing me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

klosterdev posted:

Me over Teams: Hi $user, is there a good time for you for us to address your ticket together?
User: Yes
*crickets*

I mean they did technically answer your question

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I mean they did technically answer your question

I learned my mistake on that one and now say “is now a good time to connect to your computer and work on your issue.”

As soon as I get confirmation I connect and immediately disable their input unless it’s needed. Way too many people try to keep working while I’m also remotely connected.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

New Teams feature pitch, use ML to analyze the dynamic range of your captured audio and put a big "YOUR MICROPHONE SUCKS AND NONE OF YOUR COWORKERS CAN UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YOU ARE SAYING" prompt on the screen.

So tired of people using bottom barrel poo poo Bluetooth headsets on calls. It's all mids with massive compression artifacts that just sounds like mumbling noise.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of my former co-workers is a laconic Frenchman who speaks incredibly softly. He's a great guy and in person it's trivial to understand him, but on teams calls he uses his laptop mic with no headset and it's painful.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

bull3964 posted:

New Teams feature pitch, use ML to analyze the dynamic range of your captured audio and put a big "YOUR MICROPHONE SUCKS AND NONE OF YOUR COWORKERS CAN UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YOU ARE SAYING" prompt on the screen.

So tired of people using bottom barrel poo poo Bluetooth headsets on calls. It's all mids with massive compression artifacts that just sounds like mumbling noise.

If work wants me to have a better mic, work can get me a better mic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Prism posted:

If work wants me to have a better mic, work can get me a better mic.

Oh, people can 100% order a headset and charge it back to the company here. The problem is, too many people think 5 year old Bluetooth headphones are "good enough" to
carry on conversations about complex and technical topics and it would be nice to have the software tell them "yo, your audio quality sucks, get something better."

Hell, the built in mics on the laptop would be an improvement in most these cases.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think unless you're doing some proprietary stuff (like a Poly headset does to a Poly bluetooth dongle) the headset profile is the best you get, and it's poo poo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

I think unless you're doing some proprietary stuff (like a Poly headset does to a Poly bluetooth dongle) the headset profile is the best you get, and it's poo poo

There's plenty of DECT stuff out there and it's infinitely better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I ditched a Plantronics DECT headset for a Poly bluetooth one using their dongle (so Windows sees it as a USB audio device) and the quality is just as good as the DECT one was, except the battery life is insanely better. The only downside is the range is not as good on Bluetooth as the DECT one was, but it's never caused an issue in actual use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It also depends on what CODECs both the adapter and headset support.

mSBC? Likely mostly ok. CVSD? Get the gently caress out, you might as well just type your responses. APTx voice, AAC-ELD or LC3? Now we're talking.

Then there's the impact that local interference and congestion make on the bluetooth compression.

Bluetooth can sound ok or acceptable depending on equipment, but there's a lot of junk out there and chances are if someone is pairing whatever earbuds they have with the built in bluetooth chip in their laptop, it's going to default to the lowest common denominator.

If you use a packaged solution, chances are things are going to be better. Poly's BT700, for example, uses LC3 with their own headsets, getting you the best quality out there and something that should be comparable to DECT.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 23, 2023

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Look at all these acronyms. I work in IT and I have no idea what most of that stuff is. You are not going to get most people to even think about any of whatever that is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's IT. An ever increasing number of acronyms we nod sagely about but really do not have a loving clue what we're agreeing to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hence why it's easier to say "don't use Bluetooth if you want to be understood 100% of the time."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bull3964 posted:

Hence why it's easier to say "don't use Bluetooth if you want to be understood 100% of the time."

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time you'll be understood every time.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Arquinsiel posted:

That's IT. An ever increasing number of acronyms we nod sagely about but really do not have a loving clue what we're agreeing to.

gently caress

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Arquinsiel posted:

painfully true unfortunately

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there anything more terrifying to a user than changing a path? The resistance and panic we get whenever we try to clean up shares and want to migrate Jimmy's random work area into a new storage system with a consistently named structure is absolutely unreal.

:qq: "but what if my scripts break? can't you make me a symlink??"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My workflow is almost completely based on working out of the SharePoint website now, I star a few folders of things relevant to whatever project I'm working on, I don't care that I can't work offline because I don't need to do that, and then just un-star and move onto another set of folders when I move onto something else.

I am so glad I don't have to deal with Adobe-using shops that put things 300 characters deep in a path on a file server they've had for a decade, and then can't open anything.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

When implementing our intranet using Sharepoint I avoided file paths that were too deep. It's bad (but not BAD bad) for a couple of things but they are mostly archives (that I honestly should clean up, it's real old stuff)

No one has brought up issues with file paths since they kinda run everything off the website(s) we have in place but if that ever happens I will simply laugh at them and tell them to do something else.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Things not pissing me off: the settlement I negotiated :toot:

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

ijyt posted:

Things not pissing me off: the settlement I negotiated :toot:

Nice! Does this have to do with the WFH debacle you posted a couple weeks back?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JackSplater posted:

Nice! Does this have to do with the WFH debacle you posted a couple weeks back?

Ayup, looking forward to sleeping again!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what IS a good wired headset for an IT person? the one I'm on halves audio quality when the microphone is powered on, and I'm starting to wonder if I should just get a condenser mic on a boom

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

what IS a good wired headset for an IT person? the one I'm on halves audio quality when the microphone is powered on, and I'm starting to wonder if I should just get a condenser mic on a boom

We use clear one chat 150 for medium rooms, it's not cheap tho.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get a Poly Blackwire 3300, they are dirt cheap as well

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Our Office (or microsoft whatever!!!!) 365 policy for password is 90 days and I am so tired of forcing people to reset their god damned passwords. Yes I know O365 has a never expire setting. No I cannot change it because I have been told to, as well as outside security advisors telling us not to.

It's pretty cool cause our users ARE susceptible to clicking weird links so I feel like adding another thing that could be misleading to them when I forced a reset is a problem but what the gently caress do I know!!!!!!!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Thanks Ants posted:

Get a Poly Blackwire 3300, they are dirt cheap as well

Yeah we have hundreds of these things that we hand out whenever anyone loses or forgets their headsets. They’re cheap enough we don’t need to worry about getting them back, and reliable enough that most of the time they don’t even want to give them back.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Potato Salad posted:

As long as we're talking headsets, what's a good wireless one?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

I have the Microsoft Modern Headset. It has a USB dongle but also does bluetooth. It's super comfortable and has a auto muting mic when you flip the arm up. I've had it for a couple years and I really like it. I think it's around $75 from MS.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

guppy posted:

I’ve had decent results with the Poly BT700, but the noise cancelling has this weird uncomfortable beat frequency that doesn’t seem to bother most people but it annoys the crap out of me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Reoxygenation posted:

Our Office (or microsoft whatever!!!!) 365 policy for password is 90 days and I am so tired of forcing people to reset their god damned passwords. Yes I know O365 has a never expire setting. No I cannot change it because I have been told to, as well as outside security advisors telling us not to.

It's pretty cool cause our users ARE susceptible to clicking weird links so I feel like adding another thing that could be misleading to them when I forced a reset is a problem but what the gently caress do I know!!!!!!!

It's an uphill battle, but for quite a while now NIST, the government agency that makes recommendations around identity and security, has advised not changing passwords on a regular basis and only as-needed. Or if you absolutely have to, once a year.

It's been long enough that even lovely security folks and audits should have stopped requiring it. If you're in any position to push back, you should, simply because it's the right thing to do.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's still "a matter of some debat" because there are so many lovely security people out there. I know AWS documentation still recommended it last month, for example.

Far better to focus on detection of popped creds and MFA to keep damage minimal.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

It's an uphill battle, but for quite a while now NIST, the government agency that makes recommendations around identity and security, has advised not changing passwords on a regular basis and only as-needed. Or if you absolutely have to, once a year.

It's been long enough that even lovely security folks and audits should have stopped requiring it. If you're in any position to push back, you should, simply because it's the right thing to do.

I bring it up every so often, unfortunately I kinda occupy IT has a second had internally very occasionally but god drat is it infuriating to deal with, and I will bring it up again.

Fun fact, unless I hosed something up - Microsoft recommends you set passwords to not expire, but also if you do that, it drops your security score. Why in the gently caress.

Making myself mad just thinking about it. Ultimately, I am too lazy to set up some sort of powershell script, because the main issue is that tokens last longer than password (for whatever loving reason what is your problem Microsoft) so I have to also check in manually once in a while. Which naturally upsets people internally. And I also have to follow up to assure everyone that it is indeed not phishing!!!!!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Sometimes I wish Microsoft never made syncing a SharePoint/OneDrive to File Explorer a feature. It usually works, but when it breaks it breaks badly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My 'favourite' thing about OneDrive and synced libraries is that it downloads poo poo tons of metadata a file at a time and the search performs like poo poo, there seems to be no way to transfer the files list and a search index from the online service, each client has to build one up itself. You make the OS and the service guys, figure something out please.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Sync breaking is absolutely the loving worst, see my previous rant. People expect you to just fix that poo poo magically too.

Then they become completely loving lost when they have to use the web interface aaaaaaaaah

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Reoxygenation posted:

Sync breaking is absolutely the loving worst, see my previous rant. People expect you to just fix that poo poo magically too.

Then they become completely loving lost when they have to use the web interface aaaaaaaaah

In the users' defense, both the OneDrive and (especially) SharePoint web UIs are very much garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

In a perfect world I killed Steve Jobs and Bill Gates 25 years ago and prevented this from happening