Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Otacon posted:

Oooof. How good are the odds that this'll be discounted by December?

Been an unpleasant autumn for Paradox published releases, good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Anyone know how to enable an FPS counter in game? The Steam one doesn't seem to be showing up.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Apparently having shadows on causes it. There's insane shimmering and flickering in all shadows, especially low residential fences flicker like a rave night's strobo. Disabling shadows removes all flickering... but it makes the game looks like an rear end. Could someone please make a 2D city builder like simcity 4k next, but with a large map. Thanks.

Disabling the day/night visuals in the gameplay options will lock the sun to a fixed position which stops the flickering in my experience. I would prefer to play with a realistic day/night but the flickering and the insanely long, awkward looking shadows at dawn and dusk are driving me nuts.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Zoeb posted:

I am sad because I have a bunch of studying to do for grad school and can't play it until Thursday.

This is just a public beta. You have longer to wait yet.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Played until my city was 25k pop and got kind of bored. There's no pressure to actually make a functioning economy because every time I get close to financial trouble I get a couple of million from levelling up. It's hard to enjoy looking at my city when the commercial areas full of level 5, 100% efficiency buildings are covered in Not Enough Customers icons and the terrain and shadows are constantly flickering. The thing that made me save and quit for the evening was opening the development menu, seeing 16 unspent development points and realising I don't really care about any of the remaining unlocks

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
On Gamepass so I see no way to display my FPS.

-UI is a mess that's close to being fine.
-Can't see anything at night. Just a black surface with a few dim lights.
-Connecting things is a pain in the rear end, but works eventually.
-The power lines just fade away into the landscape if you aren't zoomed in all the way.

This is really frustrating to play.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Andrigaar posted:

Win+G to open up the gamebar, on the performance window is a pin that you can check to keep it on screen after you close the gamebar.

Edit: Oh my god the zoning gets all sorts of hosed up when the grid is slightly misaligned

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 24, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i like that when you go down to place above ground power lines the filter hides roads so that you can see the below ground powerlines in them, which also means that you can't see highways or railroads or other networks which makes actually placing them super difficult. also connecting above ground power lines to below ground power lines has some weird arbitrary minimum distance that can prevent you from connecting a power pole to a road directly beside it

building poo poo is just a chore with how wonky the network controls are and unfortunately that's basically all there is to the game since you're effectively choosing between infinite money and infinite money represented by ∞. maybe the simulation gets more interesting once you hit 10k plus citizens but man CS2 makes a real loving bad first impression

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Super-crashy. Hopefully it doesn't mean my GPU is unstable once actually loaded....

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Andrigaar posted:

-Can't see anything at night. Just a black surface with a few dim lights.

This is really frustrating to play.

there is an option that turns the sun on during night

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

For people interested in performance on a mid range PC, I was getting about 25 FPS most of the time on a 2060. Medium settings, 1080p, fog, volumetrics, DoF and motion blur disabled, LoD set to low

E: oh and if you click the radio station icon, the panel that pops up has an "ads" toggle in the bottom right corner that totally disabled the talk segments on the station I was listening to (vibes FM or whatever)

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 24, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, the zoning alignment being so finnicky depending on I actually have no idea what is really annoying. Also yeah this VVVV

turn off the TV posted:

i like that when you go down to place above ground power lines the filter hides roads so that you can see the below ground powerlines in them, which also means that you can't see highways or railroads or other networks which makes actually placing them super difficult. also connecting above ground power lines to below ground power lines has some weird arbitrary minimum distance that can prevent you from connecting a power pole to a road directly beside it

Edit: real bad year for loving awful game launches.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Absolutely everything related to power lines is annoying

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I desperately miss the zoning toggle. I'm trying to make row house areas with alleys in the back and have everything spawn facing the correct ways and it sucks.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Zoeb posted:

I am sad because I have a bunch of studying to do for grad school and can't play it until Thursday.

I'm studying for the LSAT and if this game were playable on my old-ish computer then I would definitely not be getting into law school. So I'd like to thank the devs for personally making the game kinda janky for my benefit, personally.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Disabling visual day/night cycle was a pro tip. Stopped flickering. Dunno if TAA works but at least it looks decent. Using FSR1.0 with 67% resolution scale. That should upscale it from 2560px -> 4k..

Please for the love of god don't use cranes when constructing houses :D :D

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm going to be sad if they get rid of the cranes, it's funnier than any of the radio ads.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tarnop posted:

E: oh and if you click the radio station icon, the panel that pops up has an "ads" toggle in the bottom right corner that totally disabled the talk segments on the station I was listening to (vibes FM or whatever)

this should be the thread title

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Tarnop posted:

the commercial areas full of level 5, 100% efficiency buildings are covered in Not Enough Customers icons

Not at 25k but yes, I have the same issue. Not sure if it is a player not understanding mechanic problem or game hosed up kinda problem.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

explosivo posted:

Win+G to open up the gamebar, on the performance window is a pin that you can check to keep it on screen after you close the gamebar.

Had to restart my rig to give it access to FPS reading. Settings are mostly mid/high mixed with a few low that I figured would be resource hogs. Getting 50-ish FPS with 2000 people and not a lot going on yet, but it's flickering to mid-40s already.

Concurred posted:

there is an option that turns the sun on during night

I flagged it while I was typing because I remembered that was an option in the first game.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MikeC posted:

Not at 25k but yes, I have the same issue. Not sure if it is a player not understanding mechanic problem or game hosed up kinda problem.

None of the businesses shut down, I never saw an abandoned building in the area and commercial demand kept going up. If there's a mechanic that I'm not getting then it doesn't seem to have any impact on the game

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm enjoying it a fair amount so far and I can see the framework of an excellent sequel. I was expecting launch to be messy because, well, every city builder I've played at launch in the last decade or so was this way. Either performance issues, game breaking bugs or just enough of both to put me off for a bit. I have a feeling this CS2 will be the later where I'm gonna hit a wall and just wait for the first big patch. Still super excited for what's to come considering they kept pushing out improvements for CS1 for almost a decade

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

None of the businesses shut down, I never saw an abandoned building in the area and commercial demand kept going up. If there's a mechanic that I'm not getting then it doesn't seem to have any impact on the game

I read somewhere, I think of the CS subreddit, that it's a known bug they are aware of. Like the businesses are fine, but for whatever reason the icon won't go away

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Oooooof.

I had a pretty lousy day, but I was looking forward to firing this up. Started a new game, and it crashed with no error or anything literally 3 notes into the little tune when it loads the landscape. Cool.

Tried again and it actually stayed alive, but the performance is dismal. I don't have the greatest system, my video card was fairly high end like 6 years ago, but it runs poo poo like Cyberpunk perfectly fine. Made it to milestone 3 and the FPS and input lag had gotten incredibly bad.

I tried turning off all the reccomended crap, it helps a bit but there's still random weird hitches. Like zooming in once you hit a certain zoom level there's about a 1 second hiccup.

It's just sad, I got enough in to feel like there's some really good ideas in there. It just really should have been delayed, very unfinished.

Not refunding though, I do have faith they'll fix things and I've been craving a city builder.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
I haven’t played a city builder for dozens of hours since SimCity 2000 so a lot of my criticisms aren’t “fair” to the current state of the genre. With that in mind, I’m surprised at how little has fundamentally changed in the city simulation since then. Like there’s been zero effort to flesh out residential simulation beyond densities. No division between home ownership and rentals, subsidized social housing, etc. The difference between housing in SimCity in 1989 and this is fundamentally 3 shades of green instead of 1.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I am having a hell of a time with the slope tool, how does it work now? Right click to set target height then drag is not doing the job.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
On the plus side, turning everything to very low/off makes it run acceptably on a 1060ti.

On the minus side, off a few hours:
- The view filters for placing anything are often very questionable, which especially interacts really poorly with the day/night cycle. Yes, I can make them go away, but if I make them go away it's a black screen for an uninterrupted 10 or 15 minutes.
- R demand split really needs to be "sim gets a -x to happiness if they want a SFH and no SFHs are available", not "an entire tile zoned for town houses will never grow a single building if the demand is all for SFH".
- Arbitrary border connections have some serious teething issues, I almost had a traffic death spiral and my traffic was 50%+ "from: east border to: north border" and another 25% or so "from: west border to: north border". Would heartily recommend not building to the tempting alternate super-2 highway placed within your initial tile until your research, budgetary, and tiles unlocked position allows for a loop highway. And because of how travel works, sims spawn from a source and proceed directly to their destination, you can't even push C demand with an interchange-adjacent strip.
- Speaking of C demand: It's insisting at me that C demand will not rise because I don't have enough gas stations. Also, I don't have gas stations because C lots are sitting empty because there is no demand. :saddowns:
- Would really like the option to non-destructively rezone within a category, that is, designate x say SFH as "if you can upgrade to townhouses do but don't mass demolish yet". Of course what I really want is a game with nuisance zoning, but even American residential zoning doesn't roll up with a bulldozer when a parcel changes from "fully detached only" to "okay you can have a duplex"
- Tram stops: You need them on both sides of the road or the tram will U-turn (!) back to the station. Tram route UI: it will arbitrarily snap to the 5% of screen wide icon that happens to Z-layer on top.
- The radio. Dear god, the radio.

On the unchanged but I didn't like it in C:S either side:
- I still don't think buying tiles is it at all if you're also going to eat major penalties for. At least this is gonna be one of the first mods, too bad I need to wait for them to finish their Workshop competitor.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mandoric posted:

- R demand split really needs to be "sim gets a -x to happiness if they want a SFH and no SFHs are available", not "an entire tile zoned for town houses will never grow a single building if the demand is all for SFH".

I was hoping to be able to crush low density demand with punitive taxation but residential tax splits are by education level

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dear god do not play with tutorials on. Every single time you click anything there's a 14 window process to go through, it's too much too early and you get no chance to explore on your own.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have learned today my computer's cooling is excellent. My room's cooling is not, but all my components are running flat out and staying at good temps.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Tarnop posted:

I was hoping to be able to crush low density demand with punitive taxation but residential tax splits are by education level
Same, I want to build a city with super high density that's focused on walking and public transit. Looks like that's not happening until people find exploits or taxation based on density gets added.

I really do appreciate the mixed use zoning already though, it makes for much better looking main streets.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I will one day find where this blackhole of a road has gone and delete it

Knocked the settings for some things down but kept texture high. Trees, water and terrain are in n64 mode but the buildings look pretty good.

this game is gonna be a pain to play until my cs1 muscle memory goes away

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I asked GamersNexus if they were gonna do a video on the Cities Skylines performance issues and Steve replied that they have been testing all day and they will have more soon. Sounds like a video might be in the works.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Snowmanatee posted:

I haven’t played a city builder for dozens of hours since SimCity 2000 so a lot of my criticisms aren’t “fair” to the current state of the genre. With that in mind, I’m surprised at how little has fundamentally changed in the city simulation since then. Like there’s been zero effort to flesh out residential simulation beyond densities. No division between home ownership and rentals, subsidized social housing, etc. The difference between housing in SimCity in 1989 and this is fundamentally 3 shades of green instead of 1.

I similarly was expecting a bit more. I'd even say it's still a step back from SC2000 and SC4 where you could have actual bad neighborhoods with high density and things were "sticky" so it was a real challenge to improve an area. In the initial trailer the tougher looking buildings gave me high hopes but they don't seem to be in game. Is there even any graffiti? It just doesn't seem like it's going to feel like achieving something challenging to improve an area or reach a certain class of building, just an inevitably once it's unlocked.

That said, I'm cautiously optimistic that they've at least put the tools out there for modders with the building leveling system. Maybe someone can figure out how to adjust all these economic and demand levers to make something more interesting from a management perspective.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I am running pretty steady at 85fps on a 7700X and a 7900XT with no changes to the default graphics options except disabling depth of field. no major performance issues except for slight hitching when changing build panels or loading a big asset like the cemetery

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sashimi posted:

Same, I want to build a city with super high density that's focused on walking and public transit. Looks like that's not happening until people find exploits or taxation based on density gets added.

I really do appreciate the mixed use zoning already though, it makes for much better looking main streets.

I think tomorrow I'm going to experiment with my city and try completely ignoring all new low density demand. Did they ever talk about what drives the different residential demand types in a dev diary?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

UP AND ADAM posted:

I kinda just wanted them to make the building fit together more realistically and they haven't really seemed to attempt to do that

tbh this has been my big complaint so far; a lot of stuff feels a lot nicer, but the way a lot of buildings still just poo poo the bed with building/prop placement on any kind of slope is insane. There really should have been at least some building models for situations where like, hey, this lot is on a slope - let's use a model where the basement is partially exposed, rather than have the back foundation of the house shoot up twelve feet out of the ground. Sheds you'd have to hoist your lawnmower into with some kind of pulley system. Swimming pools where entry requires a chin-up.

It looks totally fine from a distance, but the minute you zoom in just a hair too much the illusion just shatters.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

turn off the TV posted:

here's a 100k pop save file that you can use for benchmarking

https://download.gamestar.de/public/files/savegames/100k_Einwohner.zip

should go in C:\Users\[Benutzername]\AppData\LocalLow\Colossal Order\Cities: Skylines II\Saves\[Steam ID]

Ryzen 5 3600/16GB RAM and GTX 1650 Super/6GB VRAM here; after making the recommended changes here and leaving everything else on medium, it was a little sluggish, but quite playable. Only bad hitches were when you tried to zoom in way closer than I ever do anyway

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

MikeJF posted:

It is actually a thing GPUs can be pretty good at but I think at this point people would've already figured out if simulation was being offloaded to the GPU. And honestly, it seems like doing that kind of specialised coding is probably beyond what this team would be able to spend lots of resources on.

Funnily enough, in a game designed more like SC4 this might be a good way to draw the fake cars that represent traffic

Snowmanatee posted:

They added a simulation of land value butwith no way to apply property tax or LVT :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Tarnop posted:

I think tomorrow I'm going to experiment with my city and try completely ignoring all new low density demand. Did they ever talk about what drives the different residential demand types in a dev diary?

I did and it didn't work at all. No demand for subtype, no building, R1 R2 R3 are just as separate as C O.

Honestly, those two being entirely separate is pretty depressing too, given how much of my local commercial architecture is reclaimed mills. That in itself is a failure IRL, yeah, but also it's a failure of a simulator to fail to implement failures.