Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This is years old, isn't it? Part of the Empire Strikes Back thing? On my phone so I can't check.

I miss Auralnauts doing stuff. I think they only get inspired when Obi Wan is doing something and if not, they just want to make music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Darko posted:

This is years old, isn't it? Part of the Empire Strikes Back thing? On my phone so I can't check.

I miss Auralnauts doing stuff. I think they only get inspired when Obi Wan is doing something and if not, they just want to make music.

It's a re-up due to ye olde copyright

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

"Kids acting like kids? Not in my Star Wars. Give me the indoctrinated child soldier"

Totally normal thing to say, yes?
I liked the character just fine, but all the same, it's incredibly difficult to write a kid acting like a kid and not have them be as annoying as a real kid. Before you even get to the child actor of it all, that's a herculean task.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

One thing I have liked about these newer shows is that it’s given Hayden Christensen a chance to not look like a goober.

That's funny, I thought it did pretty much the exact opposite.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Hayden Chistianssen

He's smooth and he's soft and he stays where you expect him to

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vinylshadow posted:

"Kids acting like kids? Not in my Star Wars. Give me the indoctrinated child soldier"

Ashoka was (purposefully) super annoying at first as well, before she was fully indoctrinated into Jedi stoicism and full of PTSD from all the killing

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I didn't have a problem with the little Leia actress in Obi-Wan. The kid did a good job.

It's more the fact they did it at all. It just seems like such a creatively bankrupt idea to put in an old character and say "Well technically they never met in Episode IV so it's fine!"

It's like they decided for Obi Wan Season 2 that actually Lando had some swashbuckling adventures with Vader in a past life, because technically they were there before our heroes arrived and they had a deal.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

I hate this defense of bad child characters in stories.

It's like saying there are plenty of annoying and boring people out there so it's okay to have them in your story. That's the lamest possible writing excuse anyone could come up with.

Often the problem isn't even "kids acting like kids", it's kids NOT being kids at times and at others they behave like toddlers. It's the understanding people have of kids who actually don't have kids. "Kids" aren't just random behavior machines, they have a distinctive character, quirks, abilities, weaknesses, strengths etc. too and it is when shows don't treat their kid characters with any depth that they fail.

Another common problem is that people think a child can't be successfully "annoying" on screen. Just like everything else it's all about execution. Making your "annoying" adult characters interesting or at least sympathatic is just as much of an art as doing it with kids. An example would be Ellie from the Last of Us (either in the game or the show). Someone who just like young Leia is supposed to act more adult than her real age but still has "typical" child-like attributes.
You know what Ellie has that young Leia doesn't have? A proper character with depth and a character arc that is as strong as any main character could wish for. She isn't just a macguffin to progress the story (despite still having that function too), the story literally centers around her and the relationship to Joel. It is the HEART of the story.
Compare that to young Leia in Obi-Wan or even Anakin in TPM. They are child characters that are constantly relegated to being a distraction to the main events and only serve as plot vehicle. That's also why child characters are often viewed so negatively because in too many stories they become nothing but an obstacle to our protagonist. It's the "Walter White's wife" problem but for children.

PS: Another issue is of course that not many writers/directors have enough trust in their child actors to actually carry a role which has such significant impact on the story (and it's certainly harder to find "reliable" performances in that age bracket, not to mention all the other practical issues working with children).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Larryb posted:

The kid who played young Ahsoka wasn’t bad at least (hell, I’d say she was better than Rosario)

She was allowed to do more than just cross her arms.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Hey now, Rosario was also allowed to give a smug, knowing smile.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

galenanorth posted:

Huyang says "His father was a Jedi" almost like he's boasting on him for being a nepo-baby

In all his x,xxx years there can't have been more than a handful of jedi born from jedi.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mastajake posted:

Hey now, Rosario was also allowed to give a smug, knowing smile.

But only if Sabine wasn't doing the same. Or sighing.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Brushing a Rancor's Teeth

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now that's how you could have saved the show - have Thrawn go the full Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now.

Have the world they arrived on be barren, apart from the space whale bones and all the imperials were forced to eat each other to survive. That's why there are no officers and deck crew, they were judged the least important (and least able to defend themselves).

All the weird poo poo on the stormtroopers armour isn't from how hard they were fighting, but from how hard they have fallen. Have them be a cult, like we almost saw in Thrawn's first appearance when they were all chanting his name.

Have Ahsoka be the first horror Star Wars.

"We have been sending you messages through the dreams" sounds raw in concept and instead the show barely scratches the surface there, less than a childrens cartoon they originated from, people behind the show are just allergic to anything stylish

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

"We have been sending you messages through the dreams"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1716905723547041820

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Honestly I'm still not 100% sure about the ship that came down over Kenari--the crew were wearing what were clearly CIS emblems, but they kept stubbornly referring to it as a Republic ship (and were clearly afraid of a Republic ship following it down). I suppose Kenari could have been so far out on the Rim that neither the lost children nor Marva were super clear on the distinction, either.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LividLiquid posted:

I liked the character just fine, but all the same, it's incredibly difficult to write a kid acting like a kid and not have them be as annoying as a real kid. Before you even get to the child actor of it all, that's a herculean task.

This makes me curious, what do people think are some of some of the best kid performances (acting primarily among adults) in recent years? And I'm not even talking in Star Wars. I usually think adding a kid to a story fucks it up. The two that come to mind as being good are the daughter in The Nice Guys and the kid in Iron Man 3, both Shane Black movies, where he doesn't really treat them like kids. You're right that it's hard to "write a kid acting like a kid and not have them be as annoying as a real kid", which is why I think Black just doesn't try.

This is my way of saying you should watch The Nice Guys if you haven't already.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 24, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

thrawn527 posted:

This makes me curious, what do people think are some of some of the best kid performances (acting primarily among adults) in recent years? And I'm not even talking in Star Wars. I usually think adding a kid to a story fucks it up. The two that come to mind as being good are the daughter in The Nice Guys and the kid in Iron Man 3, both Shane Black movies, where he doesn't really treat them like kids. You're right that it's hard to "write a kid acting like a kid and not have them be as annoying as a real kid", which is why I think Black just doesn't try.

Kids are always great in Wes Anderson movies. The summer camp one and the latest theatrical one and the Roald Dahl one from this year are great.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Kids are always great in Wes Anderson movies. The summer camp one and the latest theatrical one and the Roald Dahl one from this year are great.

Yes! Moonrise Kingdom is probably my second favorite Anderson movie. Good call. I haven't seen the other ones you mentioned yet.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Stranger Things, E.T., parts of The Goonies, Moonrise Kingdom, Radio Flyer, The Sandlot, and Stand By Me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LividLiquid posted:

Stranger Things, E.T., parts of The Goonies, Moonrise Kingdom, Radio Flyer, The Sandlot, and Stand By Me.

I did say "acting primarily among adults" to exclude Stranger Things. And E.T., Radio Flyer, The Sandlot, and Stand By Me is going way outside of any definition of "recent years". Because I was curious if anyone had done it well recently. Going back to The Sandlot (a movie I adore) doesn't help.

My point was to draw a comparison to Jacen, which is what you were talking about in your post. I think it's about having a story about adults and throwing a kid in the mix. Stranger Things is a story about a bunch of kids (with some adults as supporting characters), so sure, the kids of course work. Your examples are all straight up kid stories. So it's not at all the same. The two examples I gave are directly applicable.

(Yeah, I know I gave a pass to Moonrise Kingdom before, so my bad there.)

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 24, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm sorry. I don't know how I missed all that. I guess I just got excited.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LividLiquid posted:

I'm sorry. I don't know how I missed all that. I guess I just got excited.

No worries. Those are all great movies.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Madurai posted:

Honestly I'm still not 100% sure about the ship that came down over Kenari--the crew were wearing what were clearly CIS emblems, but they kept stubbornly referring to it as a Republic ship (and were clearly afraid of a Republic ship following it down). I suppose Kenari could have been so far out on the Rim that neither the lost children nor Marva were super clear on the distinction, either.

It was false flag intelligence stuff imo, they had chemical weapons

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The His Dark Materials series has pretty good child performances, unfortunately let down by Lin Manuel Miranda.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's older now, but season 4 of The Wire not only did a whole central plotline involving a school complete with multiple classes, but took four almost completely unknown child actors and made them pivotal cast members that the entire season revolved around.... and it was absolutely loving fantastic and every kid actor involved both as main cast and supporting players absolutely knocked it out of the park.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The His Dark Materials series has pretty good child performances, unfortunately let down by Lin Manuel Miranda.
Speaking of which, Dafne Keen was excellent in Logan as well.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MMAgCh posted:

Speaking of which, Dafne Keen was excellent in Logan as well.
This is an outstanding example.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Jerusalem posted:

It's older now, but season 4 of The Wire not only did a whole central plotline involving a school complete with multiple classes, but took four almost completely unknown child actors and made them pivotal cast members that the entire season revolved around.... and it was absolutely loving fantastic and every kid actor involved both as main cast and supporting players absolutely knocked it out of the park.

Have any of those kids done anything since then? They were all fantastic and deserve big careers.

Still kind of crazy that Michael B Jordan had the biggest career out of all Wire alumni.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tristan Wilds and Maestro Harrell who played Michael and Randy both ended up in music, though I think both still act and show up in stuff every so often. Jermaine Crawford who played Dukie actually appeared for a couple of episodes in We Own This City (great show) last year and holy poo poo did he grow up to be a good looking dude! Also hilariously his plotline involved him and Jamie Hector (Marlo from The Wire) really getting along and impressing each other :3:

I'm not sure what the guy who played Namond is doing now, a basic wikipedia search doesn't bring up anything for him.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

thrawn527 posted:

This makes me curious, what do people think are some of some of the best kid performances (acting primarily among adults) in recent years?

Appropriately for this thread, but there's a brilliant child actor performance in Gareth Edwards' The Creator. She's pivotal to the entire movie. It's got mixed reviews, but I loved Rogue One so much I had to get a cinema ticket to say thanks to Edwards. And I liked it a lot. It's a bit scruffy, but it feels like old-school big ideas sci-fi that doesn't quite accomplish all it sets out to do, but incredible visuals for what is a comparatively small budget. But that kid's performance carries the story, because you need to believe in her for the story to work.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Who only became more important as the series advanced!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Rewatching Andor:
I didn't realize how awkward Nemek was. A true Poster.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Tempted to get this figure. This version apparently after he stopped eating all the fatty Peridea food:

https://gizmodo.com/grand-admiral-thrawn-hot-toys-star-wars-ahsoka-lars-1850966886

Hot Toys head sculpts are insane sometimes. I don't think they use the 3D scans that Hasbro uses(?)

Sabine, Chopper and Hera already also had new Hot Toys revealed. Hopefully Baylon and Enoch will also get love.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Worth it for the loth-cat

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Vinylshadow posted:

Worth it for the loth-cat

Teek posted:

Tempted to get this figure. This version apparently after he stopped eating all the fatty Peridea food:

https://gizmodo.com/grand-admiral-thrawn-hot-toys-star-wars-ahsoka-lars-1850966886

Hot Toys head sculpts are insane sometimes. I don't think they use the 3D scans that Hasbro uses(?)

Sabine, Chopper and Hera already also had new Hot Toys revealed. Hopefully Baylon and Enoch will also get love.

In this house we believe:
Thrawn is Fat
Loth-Cat is worth it
Sabine is a Jedi
Ashoka was good
Witches are cool
Feloni was Right

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

In this house we believe:
Thrawn is Fat
Loth-Cat is worth it
Sabine is a Jedi
Ashoka was good
Witches are cool
Feloni was Right
And of course

Chopper is best war criminal

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I was about to comment how much action figure technology has improved since I was a kid, and then I looked it up and that Thrawn figure costs more than the Nintendo Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That's not really an action figure either, is it? Like at 1/6 scale that's probably nearly a foot tall?