Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I have never clicked on a link to jimmy dore or watched any of the stuff posted in the thread for the sole reason being that i think his name sounds dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zoeb posted:

I had a test in my anti-money laundering class and had to write a 500 word essay explaining what I would add to the patriot act. I said, among other things that the best way for the United States to combat terrorist financing is to stop engaging in terrorist financing. I didn't do very well on the test but then again the professor is a cop.

Speaking from personal experience the patriot act has nothing to do with stopping money laundering, if you actually want to combat it you need regular bank audits and extremely aggressive multi hundred million dollar fines for banks that gently caress up and don't report it. I'd say like 90% of money laundering is seen and ignored by banks because of the profit they make off of it. I did a couple anti money laundering forms and my supervisors always got super pissed at me because I was "wasting company time" and "looking for an excuse to take a break"

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

The Jester is one of the few members of the Court allowed to tell the unrestrained truth

I don’t mean to offend you, but happiness is never having to hear this stupid loving phrase ever again

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Andorra posted:

I have never clicked on a link to jimmy dore or watched any of the stuff posted in the thread for the sole reason being that i think his name sounds dumb.

Same, but for his stupid face.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
I for one miss the USSR. For all its flaws it was a counter weight to the American empire and leftist movements could know there was a potential friend out there with a lot of power.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders

Grapplejack posted:

Speaking from personal experience the patriot act has nothing to do with stopping money laundering, if you actually want to combat it you need regular bank audits and extremely aggressive multi hundred million dollar fines for banks that gently caress up and don't report it. I'd say like 90% of money laundering is seen and ignored by banks because of the profit they make off of it. I did a couple anti money laundering forms and my supervisors always got super pissed at me because I was "wasting company time" and "looking for an excuse to take a break"

Agreed. I believe that banks that launder money should face more than fines though, they should face the corporate death penalty. Wells Fargo made more money from money laundering than they paid in fines. They might as well just do it again.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I don’t listen to George Carlin for his deep political insights. I listen to him because he was funny and told jokes. Like, he actually told jokes.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

camoseven posted:

i thought the patriot act already expired under trump?

Some provisions related to surveillance expired, some didn't. The big one that expired was Section 215 of the Patriot Act, which related to the government being able to secretly order businesses to give them business records relevant to an intelligence, international terrorism, or espionage investigation. "Hey Verizon, give us metadata for the calls of millions of Americans" was under that.

The thing that still is around but may expire is Title VII of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance act, which may sunset this year. Section 702 of that one lets them get what they want related to foreign surveillance targets. Stuff like PRISM is under that.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

loquacius posted:

Our mezuzah either fell down or was torn down, and my wife is convinced it was a vandalism, like how a little while ago someone else in our neighborhood kept getting their pride flag ripped down over and over

My take is that it probably just fell, and even if someone DID tear it down they've already shown they're too chickenshit to pull anything that couldn't have also been done by random chance, but it's also very easy to just not put a mezuzah back up until foreign governments stop doing ethnic cleansing in our name without our consent so we're gonna wait

If it’s vanadalism I sincerely hope the worst for whoever did it. You should put it back up in my personal opinion, don’t ever let bastards get you down.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

eviltastic posted:

Some provisions related to surveillance expired, some didn't. The big one that expired was Section 215 of the Patriot Act, which related to the government being able to secretly order businesses to give them business records relevant to an intelligence, international terrorism, or espionage investigation. "Hey Verizon, give us metadata for the calls of millions of Americans" was under that.

The thing that still is around but may expire is Title VII of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance act, which may sunset this year. Section 702 of that one lets them get what they want related to foreign surveillance targets. Stuff like PRISM is under that.

the harm reduction option ftw

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

get one in palestine flag colors for maximum confusion

Do these exist? I want one.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

This is going to be a nebulous argument from me, but bear with: Jimmy may be falling off the tracks, but he's coming from a position of good-faith. He is, by his own admission, a dumb guy, and he's coming to dumb conclusions, but at least he's informed by personal experiences, of getting hosed on his house and healthcare and the like, and if he's being an idiot, it's 'cause he doesn't have the proper rubric to interpret reality. He's fixable.

Tucker is and always will be the bowtie dipshit who was on Crossfire. His whole "fascist making leftist points" persona comes from a disingenuous position of getting viewers. He's not personally evolving, he's a snake trying to find niches, and he will dispose of whatever leftist viewpoints he may espouse if he foresees them going out of vogue. Credit to him that he's smarter than Jimmy from a Machiavellian perspective, credit to him seeing the winds change and that being a Bush admin flunky wasn't the future, but there's no fixing this guy. He believes in nothing. gently caress him. People shouldn't show up on his show because he will absolutely talk poo poo on these same people like Glenn and everyone else if he thinks that'll advance his career. It's like giving Trump credit for being right half the time - it's only because Trump is too cynical and callous to get that saying the quiet part loud is bad. It's no reason to support at him, just to do the "he admits it!" meme and move on.

Yeah, there is nothing shocking or useful about a fascist looking around and identifying the same problems as the left. It's the whole conflict, we both look around, we see the problems, and the Tuckers of the world land on "the solution is start killing". The Nazis understood Germany's economic problems a lot better than the liberals but it's not like that meant poo poo to the communists because they understood them even better.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Mark Meadows flipped on Trump and CNN is very excited but honestly I can't remember what Trump was supposed to have done wrong. Tweeted and called that guy in Georgia to look for more votes? Who the gently caress cares.

edit: Where's Hunter?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

the_steve posted:

No, you see, liberals believe in means-tested access to debate and discussion.
They don't want just anybody to be able to come in and debate or discuss a viewpoint, you have to satisfy their criteria to determine that you're educated enough to join in. Coincidentally, having jumped through any of the hoops they deem valid, odds are pretty good that you're going to agree with everything they already agree on, thus preserving the integrity of D&D.

It's pretty hilarious that in the same thread the poster wrote that in there's a threadbanned list.

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Oct 24, 2023

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

laws have never stopped the feds from surveiling anyone and it's not about to start now

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

loquacius posted:

Our mezuzah either fell down or was torn down, and my wife is convinced it was a vandalism, like how a little while ago someone else in our neighborhood kept getting their pride flag ripped down over and over

My take is that it probably just fell, and even if someone DID tear it down they've already shown they're too chickenshit to pull anything that couldn't have also been done by random chance, but it's also very easy to just not put a mezuzah back up until foreign governments stop doing ethnic cleansing in our name without our consent so we're gonna wait

do non Jewish Americans even know what mezuzahs are??

Solidarity buddy stay safe

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

jimmy dore

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

more like jimmy bore if you've seen his standup act

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Probably Magic posted:

My experience though is they demand you follow up every single post, forever, or you're "not engaging in good faith," as if I have nothing better to do with my time than argue against people who are showing increasing less and less reading comprehension, almost willingly. What a rewarding experience.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Zoeb posted:

I for one miss the USSR. For all its flaws it was a counter weight to the American empire and leftist movements could know there was a potential friend out there with a lot of power.

The fall of the USSR was a tragedy, but it was also a painful experiment that needed to be revamped. China managed to semi-revamp and has potential to come around and deliver on some of the missed promises of the Soviets, but it has a lot of hangups itself. (It should be also noted that America is an experiment that needs revamping as well, and what's more, is designed to implode about as much as the Soviets were. Trick being, of course, that America has gotten a lot more institutional support.)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

What's very funny is, and don't take this the wrong way FF, your posting style is ideally designed for what D&D purports to be, the informed, effort-posting educational forum. The fact that you don't feel comfortable posting there kinda proves that D&D vastly fails that mission statement.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
I got bored once and I decided to skim-read about nazi economics just to see how the nazi economy functioned and while it committed some of the worst crimes against humanity it also offered vacations to the working class which is a lot more than the democrats have ever done so, economically speaking, the democrats are worse than Nazis.

LuxuryLarva has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Oct 25, 2023

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

LuxuryLarva posted:

the democrats are worse than Nazis.

been saying this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gunshow Poophole posted:

do non Jewish Americans even know what mezuzahs are??

Solidarity buddy stay safe

i do but its from a religion class i had to take

also like 10% of the apartments on the floor i live on here in DC have one lol

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

insane clown pussy posted:

more like jimmy bore if you've seen his standup act

Patton Oswat wrote a book of essays a few years back called Zombie Spaceship Wasteland, and one of the essays in the book was about different types of failed stand ups he had seen over the years. One of the types were dudes who bits were basically extended political rants that didn’t really have any jokes in them and couldn’t make an audience laugh to save their own life. He implied that most of them ended up become right wing radio show hosts once they realized they couldn’t make it in comedy.

I think of that when I think of Jimmy Dore.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
is there a section on comedians who kill their wives?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

no his wife hadn’t died yet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonCHI/status/1716794888543408335

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Completely true!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:champ: listen, I get it, Israel killed your whole family. I see you I hear you. BUT...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Say what you will about Donald Trump, but I bet he'd be a lot worse at genocide than Biden.

His name doesn't even rhyme with "genocidin."

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Trump has to win so liberals can go back to being against whatever he does rather than supporting those same things under Biden

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I wish they would just move on with their lives

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Just loving nationalize it

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Probably Magic posted:

The fall of the USSR was a tragedy, but it was also a painful experiment that needed to be revamped. China managed to semi-revamp and has potential to come around and deliver on some of the missed promises of the Soviets, but it has a lot of hangups itself. (It should be also noted that America is an experiment that needs revamping as well, and what's more, is designed to implode about as much as the Soviets were. Trick being, of course, that America has gotten a lot more institutional support.)

let’s revamp america into a smoldering ruin

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mags posted:

let’s revamp america into a smoldering ruin

:hmmyes:

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Scarabrae posted:

Trump has to win so liberals can go back to being against whatever he does rather than supporting those same things under Biden

Hmmm, I wouldn't go that far. I'd be worried about Trump criminalizing my identity and appointing even worse scotus justices. He got abortion banned.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Zoeb posted:

Hmmm, I wouldn't go that far. I'd be worried about Trump criminalizing my identity and appointing even worse scotus justices. He got abortion banned.

Yeah its crazy that trump was able to persuade Obama to not replace Scalia after he died

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hillary's legacy will forever be getting abortion banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Excelzior posted:

Hillary's legacy will forever be getting abortion banned

the surge of nazis in Eastern Europe appreciate her assistance