Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
If you have clamps and wood glue that's an easy fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
so i ended up taking my new guitar to guitar center where they promptly did... some stuff. and now it sounds awesome ;) he didn't explain what he was doing but it looked like he was loosening the screw at the top of the neck, which I'm guessing affects the curve of the neck?

they had a used RAT pedal there for only $50, which i tried to buy, but they couldn't sell it to me due to some weird CA pawn shop laws...? wtf :whitewater: anyway my skill level is nowhere near deserving of any kind of effects but man this clean sound ain't gonna cut it for long. guess i can wait till christmas...

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Sounds like they adjusted the truss rod and possibly some other things. The truss rod affects the straightness of your neck. If its bending too much in either direction it can really, really affect how the guitar plays.

Places that buy used stuff usually have a waiting period before they can sell it - this allows people to recover stolen goods theoretically. Why GC would put things on wait out in sight is an answer I don't have.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

quoting The Leck when i say

RAT Is Best Pedal

though tbh for a little more money than $50 but still less than $100 you could probably find a good used RAT clone that doesn't have that stupid rear end bulging screw on the bottom that significantly impedes putting it on your pedalboard. if you have one.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Get the Rat

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Get the Rat

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Get the Rat

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Having a Rat is like bringing a toan condom with you. No matter what amp you have you’re always ready to gently caress.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Get the Rat

Also, Friday's looking to be pretty great for me!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

landgrabber posted:

quoting The Leck when i say

RAT Is Best Pedal

though tbh for a little more money than $50 but still less than $100 you could probably find a good used RAT clone that doesn't have that stupid rear end bulging screw on the bottom that significantly impedes putting it on your pedalboard. if you have one.

I have a Foxgear Rats and a Rat2 and the only aural difference I can pick is that the P90 hum is slightly different when you aren't playing. Also, the Rats' volume needs to be notch higher that the Rat2 to match.

The Foxgear pedal has a smaller box - half the height, 3/5 the width and maybe 2cm longer. Also, the filter knob turns the intuitive way that the Rat2's doesn't.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

:flashfap:

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
never owned a RAT but lived with someone who had one and used it all the time, great sound

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I’m gonna Get The Rat but I told my wife I wouldn’t spend any more money on this hobby until I suck less :pressf:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

moon demon posted:

I’m gonna Get The Rat but I told my wife I wouldn’t spend any more money on this hobby until I suck less :pressf:

that's the neat part, you never stop sucking

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I want a jazzmaster. I need to finish building my dream tele but a squier jmascis or 40th anniversary is calling my name.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

that's the neat part, you never stop sucking

once I can play cherub rock then it’s gloves off baby

Though technically our agreement was no more money until I suck less which, with some liberal interpretation could mean this very evening after I practice some more. Rules Lawyering your SO can lead to powers that some deem… unnatural

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

When I was trying out the RAT the guy at guitar center took my guitar for a spin for a min… it turns out it actually can make pleasant sounds when in the hands of someone not me

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

moon demon posted:

When I was trying out the RAT the guy at guitar center took my guitar for a spin for a min… it turns out it actually can make pleasant sounds when in the hands of someone not me

Oh yeah, you get used to that

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Verman posted:

I want a jazzmaster. I need to finish building my dream tele but a squier jmascis or 40th anniversary is calling my name.

I bought a Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster body in Oxblood off Reverb and I am going to buy a Squeir JMJM and swap the body out. Lucky for my wallet the JMJM that was in the local guitar center sold since I last looked at it and I've decided to make sure I get my hands on it before buying.

The gold guard on the Oxblood body is gonna gently caress so hard.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

moon demon posted:

once I can play cherub rock then it’s gloves off baby

Though technically our agreement was no more money until I suck less which, with some liberal interpretation could mean this very evening after I practice some more. Rules Lawyering your SO can lead to powers that some deem… unnatural

If you want the Siamese sound you may want to consider the op-amp muff
https://reverb.com/p/electro-harmonix-op-amp-big-muff-reissue-fuzz

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

If you want the Siamese sound you may want to consider the op-amp muff
https://reverb.com/p/electro-harmonix-op-amp-big-muff-reissue-fuzz

Oh….

Oh my

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So a brand new Strandberg showed up for sale and I did the stupid thing. Sälen Tremolo NX for 30% off retail. Supposed to get to me this week. Will I hate it or will it ruin all other guitars for me?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Rats are amazing and versatile but op amp muff is early pumpkins in a box if that's very specifically what you want.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Clayton Bigsby posted:

So a brand new Strandberg showed up for sale and I did the stupid thing. Sälen Tremolo NX for 30% off retail. Supposed to get to me this week. Will I hate it or will it ruin all other guitars for me?

It'll become your go-to guitar because it's impossible to put down. Literally. Doesn't sit in a lot of stands, you can't lean it against a table or anything.

But I had the same concern when I got mine and it's just part of the rotation now. The neck is nice and very comfortable but it hasn't ruined anything else, my strat's neck is equally comfortable in a different way.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

How do you clean those dark fingerspots off of a maple fretboard?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Spit and a rag and a bit of effort

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Pondex posted:

How do you clean those dark fingerspots off of a maple fretboard?

people pay good money for a guitar that's already got tone gunk on the fretboard

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
naptha

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Also this

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Thanks guys.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

internet celebrity posted:

It'll become your go-to guitar because it's impossible to put down. Literally. Doesn't sit in a lot of stands, you can't lean it against a table or anything.

But I had the same concern when I got mine and it's just part of the rotation now. The neck is nice and very comfortable but it hasn't ruined anything else, my strat's neck is equally comfortable in a different way.

That’s good to hear. Been reading and watching reviews a fair bit and there was some “I just don’t want to play a regular guitar anymore” sentiment that did feel a shade fanboy-ish. I have been curious about these guitars for years and recently I have come to the conclusion that I want to play more in the classical position. Without standing up or using some add-on doodad the only guitar I can comfortably use in that manner today is my Dean V. The Strandberg seems to be all about easy playing so figured I could at least give it a shot.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
spit is also good for things too as per Shaman Erlewine

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
How’s Fenders warranty process? The pickup switch in the jazzmaster I got a few months ago is crapping out

mewse
May 2, 2006

Amazon Canada has a firefly les paul available that's probably going to sell out very quickly. I received one last night and it's gorgeous.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I was looking at that yellow one but I have a couple of les pauls and a kit for a 3rd so I am passing for now.

if one of their explorers or vs show up though....

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i played a mesa fillmore and i could kind of hear The Tone. my life is loving over dude

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Clayton Bigsby posted:

That’s good to hear. Been reading and watching reviews a fair bit and there was some “I just don’t want to play a regular guitar anymore” sentiment that did feel a shade fanboy-ish. I have been curious about these guitars for years and recently I have come to the conclusion that I want to play more in the classical position. Without standing up or using some add-on doodad the only guitar I can comfortably use in that manner today is my Dean V. The Strandberg seems to be all about easy playing so figured I could at least give it a shot.

Exactly the same reasons why I got mine, I think you'll be pretty happy with it. I'll also recommend getting the strandberg strap too, you'll need one that can get super short due to the placement of the strap buttons. And it's just a great strap.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

moon demon posted:

Nice thing about the Rat (or the Big Muff that was also suggested) is that you won't outgrow them. They're both widely used and loved by people at all levels of ability, so it's not like you're buying crap that you'll just end up junking when you do feel better about your playing.

PS: Get the Rat

Verman posted:

I have a J Mascis one and strongly consider buying a 40th anniversary every time I see them on sale. Hell, I was at the store and picked up a used JMJM to try it out and see if it felt different from mine, and I wanted that one too. You will not go wrong with either one, in my opinion.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
I have... a gear question

Trying to borrow a stage monitor for our show, the setup is two acoustic guitars plugged into the PA and a bass plugged into an amp which goes direct into the PA as well. If I can't get a monitor, would a 100W Katana MKII function well as one? I see the "Power Amp In" setting which seems like it might be applicable? Just don't want to end up with a garbage monitoring situation if I can help it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

moon demon posted:

The cheap rat clones on Amazon are pretty good if you don’t need to see the real thing on your board - I have a Donner Dark Mouse, but I think I’d go with a joyo splinter if I was buying today.

edit: get a rat