Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I always watch The Thing in summer on a really hot quiet night.

Because that’s when I want to feel cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

my friend does that stuff where on a hot day he'll get a cold cut sandwich...but tbh man i want a toasted sandwich

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Tbf, Evil of Frankenstein is the worst of the batch

it pretty much is, but it still kicks rear end! the part where Dr. Frankenstein breaks into the burgomeister's house just to chew him out and then rappels out the window with a bedsheet is one of my favorite Cushing as Frankenstein moments

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I skipped The Thing this year in October because I'm gonna watch it in January or February instead when it snows. Same with The Shining.

I just sort of put on The Thing whenever I'm bored, same with the Evil Dead series. I've done it since I was a kid with VHS's and it just sort of is a comfort watch. I've always used Halloween time to discover new horrors or watch some random crap off of Shudder.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Evil of Frankenstein owns for the cozy vibes, he's just being a little weirdo running around the festival. It's so funny.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm watching Frankenhooker for the first time and lol, this movie rules. Mad science! Beverly Bonner! That scene where all the hookers explode from smoking crack, lmao!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Evil of Frankenstein owns for the cozy vibes, he's just being a little weirdo running around the festival. It's so funny.

Yeah the movie's at its best before he rediscovers the monster and it's just Frankenstein being annoyed with his hometown and failing to keep a low profile.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm watching Frankenhooker for the first time and lol, this movie rules. Mad science! Beverly Bonner! That scene where all the hookers explode from smoking crack, lmao!

Some dude just slugging the Frankenhooker and her head splitting off and spraying electricity everywhere introduced a concept that Mary Shelley never pondered

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I firmly believe that Mary Shelley would have wholeheartedly approved of Frankenhooker

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mary Shelley would be the most fun horror director it's kind of a crime she was born too early

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Thinking of cozy horror, when is someone going to give us an adaptation of A Night in the Lonesome October

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Started Lords of Salem and honestly I don't think anything will top how scary and lame those dreads are. Begging white people to stop.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

hahaha they pissed me off so bad. I really liked the movie but I never forgot about them

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Theater near me is doing a double feature tomorrow and I wanna know if this sounds worth it to you guys.

Fulci’s The Church (1989)

Argento’s The Sect (1991)

Now, I’ve seen films from both directors and I’ve enjoyed them very much. But I’ve not heard anybody ever talk about these ones. I don’t wanna get stuck with two duds!

I appreciate the deep cuts they are wont to play at that theater, but last week I saw their screening of Messiah of Evil and it fell totally flat for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Theater near me is doing a double feature tomorrow and I wanna know if this sounds worth it to you guys.

Now, I’ve seen films from both directors and I’ve enjoyed them very much. But I’ve not heard anybody ever talk about these ones. I don’t wanna get stuck with two duds!

I appreciate the deep cuts they are wont to play at that theater, but last week I saw their screening of Messiah of Evil and it fell totally flat for me.

Those are actually both by Michele Soavi. The Sect is just okay, but The Church is GREAT.

I would go.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Messiah of Evil is an all time banger so if you don’t like that one I’m not sure I can understand your taste well enough to be sure but :

The sect/devil’s daughter is a Michael soavi movie, argento just wrote it. The church is also a soavi movie. Church is a lot wilder and more fun, though the sect has its moments. Church plays fast and loose with the idea of a plot, it’s sort of kind of Demons 3 but you don’t need to have seen any of the various other movies in the “series”. If you don’t mind the Italian style of blending horror with comedy and stringing scenes together more by vibes and feel than plot, it’s fun. The sect is more buttoned down but the plot is hackneyed to the point that it would be better if it wasn’t. Neither are a patch on Soavi’s next movie, Cemetery Man, which is getting a rerelease soon and is probably why your theatre is showing these two

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just chiming in to repeat the Church love.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

Messiah of Evil is an all time banger so if you don’t like that one I’m not sure I can understand your taste well enough to be sure but :

The sect/devil’s daughter is a Michael soavi movie, argento just wrote it. The church is also a soavi movie. Church is a lot wilder and more fun, though the sect has its moments. Church plays fast and loose with the idea of a plot, it’s sort of kind of Demons 3 but you don’t need to have seen any of the various other movies in the “series”. If you don’t mind the Italian style of blending horror with comedy and stringing scenes together more by vibes and feel than plot, it’s fun. The sect is more buttoned down but the plot is hackneyed to the point that it would be better if it wasn’t. Neither are a patch on Soavi’s next movie, Cemetery Man, which is getting a rerelease soon and is probably why your theatre is showing these two

Carnival of Souls is one of my all time favorites. Messiah of Evil was trying to do the same thing with a Cali BoHo twist that just didn’t work for me. Not enough happened. I know people love it but maybe I wasn’t in the mood at the time.

I actually loved Cemetery Man. Batshit insane movie. Thank you for that explanation.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I wanted to watch Night Creatures based on an early writeup from someone during the challenge and on a whim my partner suggested we turn the TV black-and-white. It really helped! You can tell the movie was still lit for black-and-white film, and it turned it from somewhat cheap-looking into a really moody dramatic period piece. Really enjoying it this way. Can't wait to see the cool skeletons again.

I heard The Mist was originally meant to be black-and-white, and the dinner scene in Pearl looks great in black-and-white too. It's fun to experiment and see how things look and feel like this.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
The Mist UHD that came out recently has the black and white cut.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Night Creatures is a ton of fun. Great atmosphere, a ton of fun. Wish they did more with the pirate stuff. It's basically "Hammer does a Scooby-Doo" and I adore that.

That being said, I thought at first you were talking about Night Tide, so here's the post I wrote on Night Tide:

Night Tide is cool as hell. Definitely not what I was expecting based on the plot description. One that you have to see just for its uniqueness alone. Moody as hell, surreal and phantasmagoric, but not silly at all.

It's in no way shape or form similar to Hausu, but it reminds me of the same "a vibe I've never seen before" feeling. Just its own wonderful thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Young Dennis Hopper is great in Night Tide.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I heard The Mist was originally meant to be black-and-white, and the dinner scene in Pearl looks great in black-and-white too. It's fun to experiment and see how things look and feel like this.

The Mist in black and white is so phenomenally good.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
When I was a kid the only books my mom had around were Stephen King. We lived in an old farm house, and one day I was playing outside and a tornado touched down in the field. After that whenever it was stormy I'd hide in the basement and read all of her Stephen King novels to distract myself from the weather. So I guess that makes my cozy horror anything by Stephen King. Pet Semetary, Thinner, the Mist, and Gerald's Game stand out. I love that man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ways they kill Freddy ranked:

1. Dream Warriors
2. The Dream Master
3. Freddy Vs. Jason
4. New Nightmare
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street
6. Freddy's Revenge
7. Freddy's Dead
8. The Dream Child

So years back there were a couple of Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash comics. The first one was based on what I guess was an unused movie script (or at least outline) and the second one was treated as the Avengers: Endgame of the three movie franchises. It was incredibly dumb, but at least swung for the fences.

In the end, Freddy was stripped of his powers by the Necronomicon and rendered human. Ash shot him with the boomstick and his wounded body ended up in a Deadite vortex. The same vortex sucked in a government agent who -- total coincidence -- turned out to be the police officer who hosed up the Freddy Krueger warrant back in the day. It caused him to go back in time and possess his younger self into correctly signing the paperwork, thereby negating Freddy's existence as a dream demon.

I respect how over-the-top they went to completely annihilate Freddy with that ending.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s depressing how flooded the comics market is with garbage tier cash grab horror comic adaptations/tie-ins.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Those are actually both by Michele Soavi. The Sect is just okay, but The Church is GREAT.

I would go.

I did not know when i wrote that earlier that the sect sometimes got billed as demons 4, and now I’m very amused that they’re screening them “out of order”

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm pretty sure there are in fact 4 Demons 4 films.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Demons 4
Demoni 4
Demoni Quattro
D4mons

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Important notice: Night Creatures in black and white is, in fact, better.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Real missed opportunity imo

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"watch a color movie in black and white" is probably a good challenge for next year's october, along with "watch a movie reviewed by another poster in the challenge thread"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Typical. I spend years fruitlessly trying to convince even a single other human soul to watch X-Cross, but a bit of thoughtlessly tossed off praise for Night Creatures moves mountains.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

alf_pogs posted:

"watch a color movie in black and white" is probably a good challenge for next year's october, along with "watch a movie reviewed by another poster in the challenge thread"

Do color blind people get a bye?

But deffo like the second idea. It’s fun and basically a gimme. People tend to read others’ reviews and see something anyway, so it’s like a gold star for being friendly.

Speaking of : M_Sinistari, I’m really liking Triangle. Thanks!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I rewatched the entire Purge series because I remembered some of the sequels being pretty good. I think my brain lied to me. Ugh, what a mostly disappointing series. Anarchy is still pretty solid, but the rest of them range from average to terrible and I hope they don't make any more after The Forever Purge, which was my least favorite of the series when I saw it in theaters and again when I watched it just now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just rewatched Freddy's Dead, my favorite Elm Street movie after the original (3 is 3rd).

At its peak this series became "What it Bugs Bunny killed children" and you're telling me that's supposed to be a BAD thing?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/-2OZAJwZvu4

This is a hell of a trailer.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Watching Saw X and Im sorry but I thought the "Blue filter for the US/global north, yellow filter for Mexico/global south" meme was dead. I literally laughed out loud when Kramer gets off the plane in Mexico. What the gently caress?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
See the funny thing with Saw is that a lot of the old movies already look like the yellow mexico filter when they weren't in mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

See the funny thing with Saw is that a lot of the old movies already look like the yellow mexico filter when they weren't in mexico.

I know, especially the second one, but here the contrast between the US and Mexico is really stark.