Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Kakaricho posted:

My totebag and official program for the 20th Anniversary arrived!

The memories page was cute, so I wanted to share it. Also, they are still keeping the last game secret!

I think my 10th Anniversary bag has held up over a decade of use as well.

https://imgur.com/gallery/KsoQFer

I forgot to check if there were any GCCX events this year when getting my PTO, and now I'm paying the price. Doh!

Can't believe this dork has been doing this show for 20 whole rear end years. Where did time go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thank you for the new release! Not much of a horror liker, but gotta watch GCCX anyways. The story was somewhat confusing, though I'm guessing the editing may have left out some parts?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Major Helper posted:

Thank you for the new release! Not much of a horror liker, but gotta watch GCCX anyways. The story was somewhat confusing, though I'm guessing the editing may have left out some parts?

Honestly I had to go back and look at GameFaqs to make sure I hadn't missed something, because it felt weirdly empty compared to the first game.

skyegccx
Sep 5, 2023

Nemo2342 posted:

Honestly I had to go back and look at GameFaqs to make sure I hadn't missed something, because it felt weirdly empty compared to the first game.

Nope, they didn't leave anything out when it comes to the story, it's just that nonsensical. They did leave out at least one important gameplay moment (interacting with and subsequently being chased by the samurai statue at the house, but it's not obvious that it's important.

Also, some behind the scenes stuff that some of you might find funny. Before we started translating the Clock Tower II episode, we were going to use the character/location names from the localization. However, the title of the episode is "This time it's a Japanese horror", Kan describes the game as being different from the previous Clock Tower games because it's set in Japan, and the fourth thing Arino says about the game is "Ah, it's Japan!", so we ended up going with the Japanese names instead.

Random Stranger posted:

I cheerfully did the typesetting for that one as a big Densha de Go fan.

Now the quiz episodes...

There's one quiz game episode that we have our eye on that has a particularly nasty HUD. Just looking at it makes me yearn for the opaque, solid colors of Quiz Nanairo Dreams and Yuuyu's Quiz de Go! Go!

Lastly, LocationScouts is still looking for timers, typesetters, and especially translators. Our main translator is going to have significantly less time for GCCX starting next spring, so we'd really appreciate it if we could get at least one or two people who'd be willing to help fill his shoes.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm like barely n3 level or I'd give it a shot

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I just started watching the subbed TMNT episode and remembered this was translated with AI or something. This... is not a good idea, haha. When "Arino-san" gets translated as "thank you," that's a problem

ETA: Oh no it keeps getting more and more inaccurate! It called Arino an "ant" (ari=ant)

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 25, 2023

locationscouts
Aug 23, 2023

zari-gani posted:

I just started watching the subbed TMNT episode and remembered this was translated with AI or something. This... is not a good idea, haha. When "Arino-san" gets translated as "thank you," that's a problem

ETA: Oh no it keeps getting more and more inaccurate! It called Arino an "ant" (ari=ant)

I haven't watched any of the AI subs. Don't want it to color our work. I'm sure we'll get to TMNT eventually.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

locationscouts posted:

I haven't watched any of the AI subs. Don't want it to color our work. I'm sure we'll get to TMNT eventually.

I almost want to volunteer to re-translate this one. But I just don't have the spare time anymore...

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

zari-gani posted:

Ari no Oni

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

zari-gani posted:

Thank you, ant.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

translating arino san as mister’s ant

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Game Center CX - It's like Top Gear for ants

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Trying to use AI* to "help" translate on a show like GCCX or Tokyo Encounter would be an inherently cursed endeavor regardless of how hopeful and hungry audiences may well be---the utmost it can be leveraged is the wild world of donghua and even then you have to expect genders to be hilariously, bafflingly wrong and oftentimes phrases the likes of which you can't fathom for the context to be put forth alongside any number of other issues Even If sometimes a human tries to lend it aid as an editor of sorts.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is why I'm not worried about my translation work getting snapped up by machines anytime soon. Then again, I don't do the really formulaic stuff like patents.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

zari-gani posted:

This is amazing, a couple of screenshots:

TN: SAISEN means "rematch"

Speaking of things that are kilometers away...

IT'S LITERALLY WRITTEN IN ENGLISH ON THE SCREEN AND YOU STILL GOT IT WRONG

The weird thing is, GCCX is actually probably a pretty good test case for AI translation, in that it uses a lot of the same phrases over and over. And in general, the translation is... not exceedingly wrong most of the time. But just like any machine translation it fucks up completely when it reaches even a slightly unusual phrase or a joke.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I can't believe AI would steal the hard work of TV Nihon like this

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

The AI subs really struggled with Ari-tello (Arino x Donatello) and all the times Arino jokingly called Kusa-langelo "Kuso-langelo". It also has no idea what a "zanki" is (lives) and just gives up on translating it halfway through.

One of my fav moments was when "okusan" (madam) got translated as "Ms. Oku."

Funny thing, I watched the subbed Mega Man 2 ep afterward (been showing my husband episodes relevant to the Saitama show), which is a TV Nihon release -- it was a breath of fresh air. Sure, they make some mistakes and I don't agree with some of their choices, but I'd 1000% take them over AI. Japanese is too context heavy and you need a human being to interpret.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Thank you, ant.

Thants.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Hirayuki posted:

This is why I'm not worried about my translation work getting snapped up by machines anytime soon. Then again, I don't do the really formulaic stuff like patents.

It's just as bad, if not worse, with stuff like patents. It seems okay at first glance, but context is even more important when you're talking about highly technical topics, and it's a nightmare because some of the issues aren't immediately obvious. Proofing AI translations of highly technical documents ends up taking just as much time as doing it from scratch, so that's how I charge for that stuff. Hence why those sorts of requests have dried up for me while I keep getting straight translation work. People keep talking like human translators will get replaced any time now, but I actually see what AI translations can do with long documents and I just laugh.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

pnumoman posted:

context is even more important when you're talking about highly technical topics, and it's a nightmare because some of the issues aren't immediately obvious.

I learned this from my dad, who used to do JP-EN translation for scientific documents. Even those are context-heavy.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
I always thought that translating scientific papers pretty much required the author to participate actively in its translation, I don't know about ALL fields of course but what I've had contact with/wrote always ended up having some implied knowledge required for understanding it despite great efforts in the introductory section. Not having the author at ready to consult when you're translating a scientific document seems like a nightmare.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Funny thing, I watched the subbed Mega Man 2 ep afterward (been showing my husband episodes relevant to the Saitama show), which is a TV Nihon release -- it was a breath of fresh air. Sure, they make some mistakes and I don't agree with some of their choices, but I'd 1000% take them over AI. Japanese is too context heavy and you need a human being to interpret.

Oh man, I love those early episodes, TV Nihon or not. They have the charm of everyone not quite knowing what to do and a very "home made" feel. Including the aforementioned episode where Arino calls in the middle to cancel his hair appointment when he - despite expectations - did actually not clear Mega Man 2 in time for it

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Explosive Tampons posted:

I always thought that translating scientific papers pretty much required the author to participate actively in its translation

I think he did have to regularly contact the author to ask them to clarify some points, which is still a pain.

I also love the very early days of the show. They don't yet know what Arino is capable of (or incapable) and everyone is babies. Arino was only 32 years old in the MM2 ep, definitely my senior when I first saw it, and I'm much older now!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 25, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rochallor posted:

This is amazing, a couple of screenshots:

TN: SAISEN means "rematch"

Speaking of things that are kilometers away...

IT'S LITERALLY WRITTEN IN ENGLISH ON THE SCREEN AND YOU STILL GOT IT WRONG

The weird thing is, GCCX is actually probably a pretty good test case for AI translation, in that it uses a lot of the same phrases over and over. And in general, the translation is... not exceedingly wrong most of the time. But just like any machine translation it fucks up completely when it reaches even a slightly unusual phrase or a joke.

who of anyone even remotely thinks this is a good idea

please tell me they're getting roasted off the internet for it

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
you can't shame the ai freaks, unfortunately

skyegccx
Sep 5, 2023

hexwren posted:

who of anyone even remotely thinks this is a good idea

please tell me they're getting roasted off the internet for it

Well, it was posted thirteen months ago, and they haven't done anything like this since.

I'd say they got roasted well enough.

herkz: >doing the meme unironically

NinoChan: wake up sirs, new nyaa street making GBS threads strategy just dropped

Zer0_COOL: The translation software has some trouble understanding who does what to whom and where and why. If it can’t accurately render what is said, then it’s of limited utility. Like the video you uploaded.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Does anyone know where I can find the "Arino's wedding" clip from Arino's old comedy show? We released a sub ages ago but I can't find it on my drive. The one where he and his wife do a re-enactment of how they met/got engaged.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

I also love the very early days of the show. They don't yet know what Arino is capable of (or incapable) and everyone is babies. Arino was only 32 years old in the MM2 ep, definitely my senior when I first saw it, and I'm much older now!

Kan's forward in the Saitama Event Program mentions the show was originally supposed to be a show where Eichiro Funakoshi interview manga creators. It sort of panned out differently. And I was thinking about the clip where they discuss AD Yamada, in the very next bit, they mention how it was a big hit with fans when Toujima messed up fighting Larios/Rarios. Maybe Yamada was fired before they realized that messing up was funny?

And I find it funny that when I watch older episodes sometimes, my wife will see young Arino and go "Huh?" before realizing what's on.

zari-gani posted:

Does anyone know where I can find the "Arino's wedding" clip from Arino's old comedy show? We released a sub ages ago but I can't find it on my drive. The one where he and his wife do a re-enactment of how they met/got engaged.

The link on the official fan site is down, and Fuji's No Fun Police did a good job scrubbing it, it seems. It was on 【めちゃ²イケてるッ!】有野晋哉結婚極秘プロジェクト if my old memos are accurate.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I have the raw video and the sub file still -- just not the hardcoded sub release we put out.

skyegccx
Sep 5, 2023

zari-gani posted:

I have the raw video and the sub file still -- just not the hardcoded sub release we put out.

Assuming this is just for private viewing, you should be able to just drop the sub and video files in the same folder. Any video player worth its salt will automatically load the sub file if it has the same file name as the video file.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

zari-gani posted:

Is it called Game.Center.CX.Extra.Arinos.Wedding.SAGCCX.avi?

It's only about 34 MB, if you need I can surely find somewhere to drop it.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Since we're requesting lost videos, does anyone happen to have that segment of Yoiko taking Hamada and Matsumoto to Akihabara?

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I got you
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/k2uQdtRV7iKDSXsRXv7

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Oh geez, I remember this dude from the 24 hour tag video from 20 years ago or whatever

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Does anyone recall when the first TV-Nihon sub was released?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

This is a classic.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

skyegccx posted:

Assuming this is just for private viewing, you should be able to just drop the sub and video files in the same folder. Any video player worth its salt will automatically load the sub file if it has the same file name as the video file.

I don't have the timed/edited sub file -- just my raw work that I then passed onto the sub group. I don't have any of the timed sub files, for that matter, so my husband is at the mercy of our hard coded subbed releases

Ahh a blast from the past! This is my translation work (I used to translate random Downtown clips)

Nemo2342 posted:

Is it called Game.Center.CX.Extra.Arinos.Wedding.SAGCCX.avi?

It's only about 34 MB, if you need I can surely find somewhere to drop it.

Yes please!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 26, 2023

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I've been watching the GCCX x Sakurai collab videos on YouTube and the JP only ones on the GCCX channel are so good. I have intermediate Japanese ability so it's a good chance for me to pick up some new vocab but man this is just so chill.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

zari-gani posted:

Yes please!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/gheyeu1nq0tcjuv8kkug2/Game.Center.CX.Extra.Arinos.Wedding.SAGCCX.avi?rlkey=gqdiii3monuw3wqtt0pq6fh98&dl=0

Hopefully this should work since it's such a small file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Thanks that worked!