Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Macaluso posted:

I think the big issue I had with the pilot is that it kind of feels like the main character loses her mind as soon as she arrives. So you've got this character on the verge of a breakdown the entire time and every scene of her is her panicking and I don't think it really works to have her be like that from the start. I think she needed time to experience the world and then be unable to leave the game before she starts to lose it.

I like this kind of setting where people get stuck in game or movie or computer program or the backrooms or whatever. I love SCPs that do this kind of thing, but I need the main character to not be so immediately crazy

i mean to me it works. I probably would be the same way and i think

Flopsy posted:

I dunno if Jax's assholery was meant to be endearing. I mean I certainly didn't see it that way. Everyone there is trying to cope and kind of slowly losing it in their own different ways. I'd kinda like it if they leaned into his meaness more to emphasize that ;no this isn't some cute schtick the dude is genuinely an rear end in a top hat and has almost entirely checked out of caring about anything. I'd like a deconstruction of the lovable jerk trope with him but maybe that's just me. He'd certainly be a good source of conflict in the show anyway. As for Caine I actually sympathize with him the most. Dude's a program being forced to deal with circumstances he was never built for and struggling to cater to his guests needs. But from the looks of it he was designed to be the server host for a children's game and now he has to try and keep a group of adults psychologically healthy while knowing he can't give them the freedom they truly want. The little moments of him going silent and nervously fidgeting tugged on the heart strings a little on my end. If the show does try to make him out to be the villain I'm going to check out as that sounds really boring. But as it stands I think he's actually victim to forces beyond his control and is putting on a brave face and doing the best he can given his situation.

yeah, i genuinly like that cain is just some evil incarnate, he is just in a super broken program and he has sorta god powers and he probably would help if he could but he can't because he is limited with his power because he is the main character of some 00s kids game thats self aware to a degree.

Flopsy posted:

Again I kind of wonder if this is going to be deconstruction of her character archetype. Like the new point of view character who needs the world explained to her and thus the audience by extension. But instead of helping the other characters find an exit or giving them hope about their circumstances she just straight up mentally collapses and forces someone else to take on the mantle of looking for an exit. I mean she's not curious about the situation or brave. She's anxious as gently caress, weak willed and obviously kinda selfish. Frankly having her slowly become the most demented of the cast despite having only just arrived appeals to me ngl.

yeah kinda.

https://twitter.com/glitch_prod/status/1715448833029574791

also they have merch coming. not vizipop quality yet but some solid stuff. id put pomni on my work desk. more likely they will just end up looking distressed next to some other weird poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean to me it works. I probably would be the same way and i think

yeah, i genuinly like that cain is just some evil incarnate, he is just in a super broken program and he has sorta god powers and he probably would help if he could but he can't because he is limited with his power because he is the main character of some 00s kids game thats self aware to a degree.

yeah kinda.

https://twitter.com/glitch_prod/status/1715448833029574791

also they have merch coming. not vizipop quality yet but some solid stuff. id put pomni on my work desk. more likely they will just end up looking distressed next to some other weird poo poo.

Alex Rochon has fulfilled his destiny of finally using his Spamton voice to actually sell people uselessly poo poo for monetary value.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
It's the first collab of its scope and ambition from some of the best youtube cartoonists out there.

I guess that's why it took me awhile to realize what I was seeing. They explicitly mention at the end you can't sustain that manic high forever, but the characters do try to have some normalcy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Alex Rochon has fulfilled his destiny of finally using his Spamton voice to actually sell people uselessly poo poo for monetary value.

i mean i kinda don't mind it because with indie stuff it usually does end up helping the development somewhat and they usually end up getting cool weird art for t shirts or posters and sometimes their other stuff ends up alright.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I agree with Floppy on Jax and Pomni's characters. If anything I think Jax should be MORE mean because that's the point. It's implied that they're familiar with abstraction and they've seen it happen to multiple people before and they all have to do what they can to keep from breaking and Jax does that by being a detached rear end in a top hat. To give him a meaningful arc, you have to start him off in a bad place.

And Pomni, I sorta got the vibe that she's just Like That. She's just an extremely nervous high strung person regardless of if she's trapped in a digital circus or not, she's not curious or brave, she's just low key freaked out about everything all the time. I also have Some Opinions about that long shot of her staring into the mirror but we'll see where that goes if the series gets picked up.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
HETEROCHROMIA

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The issue at the core is that the plotting of the pilot is just not that great, and doesn't really allow for much character interaction or display of their personality with range, they are all just as anxious or blasé at the beginning as they are at the end.
It wanted to sell itself as the dark thing right away as opposed to letting that creep in with either a building sense of dread, or a rugpull when you've successfully got the audience convinced you've established a rhythm.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neeksy posted:

The issue at the core is that the plotting of the pilot is just not that great, and doesn't really allow for much character interaction or display of their personality with range, they are all just as anxious or blasé at the beginning as they are at the end.
It wanted to sell itself as the dark thing right away as opposed to letting that creep in with either a building sense of dread, or a rugpull when you've successfully got the audience convinced you've established a rhythm.

i feel like they kinda over sold the dark part because i feel like while its gonna have a dark undercurrent and probably end up like SOMA on some level i kinda feel like its gonna end up like helluva boss where alot of people think its just gonna me hosed up violent office comedy but it ends up being a hosed up romantic dramaedy with the whole IMP thing being mostly a side thing. I feel like from watching it, its mostly gonna focus on pomni looking for ways out or at least coming to terms with poo poo and slowly figuring out a way out or at least another level to the maze. who knows. i think what hurt it most is pacing though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched that this morning and between the whole "trapped in some kid's VR game" deal and Caine being a circus guy who's a huge smile with eyes, I keep thinking about Tad Williams' Otherland

I know they're not making this show to be a big reference to a relatively obscure cyberpunk-lite novel series by a fantasy author and the similarities are only in the very broadest strokes, but I do wonder how the creators handle it if/when it comes up

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

I watched that this morning and between the whole "trapped in some kid's VR game" deal and Caine being a circus guy who's a huge smile with eyes, I keep thinking about Tad Williams' Otherland

I know they're not making this show to be a big reference to a relatively obscure cyberpunk-lite novel series by a fantasy author and the similarities are only in the very broadest strokes, but I do wonder how the creators handle it if/when it comes up

Speaking of which, Pantheon also has Otherland similarities with its haptic VR gear and uploaded intelligence.

edit: watching season 2 episode 5 of Pantheon right now and there is even a kid with progeria, just like one of the Otherland protagonists

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 24, 2023

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Kaewan posted:

Scavenger’s Reign is filling the void left by Raised by Wolves being cancelled.

I had the exact same thought yet somehow the animated show is more grounded. RIP Raised by Wolves.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I watched the first 3 episodes of Scavenger's Reign and liked it a lot. The animation style is cool, the premise and characters seem interesting, and the story engages the viewer very quickly.

Must say though that vibes are extremely foreboding from the jump and do not let up. I was on the verge of watching it through my fingers, the whole planet they're stuck on feels like a haunted house and the humans just don't know it yet.

Bad things are going to happen and it is going to be extremely ugly when they do.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dead End Paranormal Park will finally be getting an ending of sorts in comic form in May 2024

https://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/hamish-steele-deadendia/#:~:text=Are%20more%20books%20planned%3F,set%20in%20the%20same%20world

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'll say this for digital circus, that fuckin theme song is LOCKED in my brain

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

watched all of the bee and puppycat netflix series.

weird show. enjoyable. constantly felt like it should have been better than it was, though. there were some really strong elements, and some really whatever ones, and it never totally came together. i suppose that's the vibe it is going for. like, they didn't try too hard to whittle this concept down. just throw whatever in there. it's about a lazy woman who works menial jobs, actually nah she's a robot.

i'd watch more if they made it. i like bee, and toast was the funniest character. never fell for puppycat, though.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

my brain keeps going back to digital circus only in that I see it has potential visually and conceptually, and my mind keeps trying to re-write the pilot so I could actually like the result.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neeksy posted:

my brain keeps going back to digital circus only in that I see it has potential visually and conceptually, and my mind keeps trying to re-write the pilot so I could actually like the result.

my biggest issue is it hits the dread drum a little TOO hard TOO often because their are a bunch of moments that work for it but others dont. also pacing.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my biggest issue is it hits the dread drum a little TOO hard TOO often because their are a bunch of moments that work for it but others dont. also pacing.

There's definitely elements I think are really neat but the more I sit on it I'm coming to realization it's a little hard to get invested. All the characters are either already beat down or have accepted their circumstances. I find it hard to care when they've all already given up, even our point of view character at the end of the pilot.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Finally sat down and watched the Digital Circus pilot. Loved it, Pomni is amazing, and I cannot wait for more (there better be more :ohdear: ). I do get where the criticisms are coming from-- the beginning especially felt jarring in terms of pacing and timing-- but I also felt like the show found its footing as the pilot went on.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

one would also hope that as a pilot they'd be taking in feedback and re-tooling the series for whatever final form it may take

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

roomtone posted:

watched all of the bee and puppycat netflix series.

weird show. enjoyable. constantly felt like it should have been better than it was, though. there were some really strong elements, and some really whatever ones, and it never totally came together. i suppose that's the vibe it is going for. like, they didn't try too hard to whittle this concept down. just throw whatever in there. it's about a lazy woman who works menial jobs, actually nah she's a robot.

i'd watch more if they made it. i like bee, and toast was the funniest character. never fell for puppycat, though.

Yeah that series put me in a weird mood because it felt so chill and relaxing but also sad. Bee is a lazy woman who works menial jobs, but shes lazy because she's a robot or at least some sort of synthetic human who doesn't age the same as everyone else, so she doesn't feel the need to really get anywhere in life. Her true goal seems to be to pick up all the bits of the ship that are in the ocean all around the island but she also doesn't feel much ambition to do that until the warlock hands start attacking earth.

Toast has to be a homage to Ranma, where characters like Shampoo were always crashing through walls to fight the main character. The style of Bee and Puppycat strikes me as Rumiko Takahashi crossed with Adventure Time.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

one would also hope that as a pilot they'd be taking in feedback and re-tooling the series for whatever final form it may take

That is always the hope!
I just worry that the writing and story structuring being as weak as it is in the pilot means they are going to have a lot of struggling to pull off the concept even when given more time and budget to do so. Putting all of its mystery cards on the table in the first few minutes, for example, is a really bad decision.

Lackadaisy's pilot didn't have as much of a structural problem as this, but it also had some issues with timing, sound effects/music, and some of the voice direction didn't feel cohesive or reflective of the physicality of the moment. Rocky's trailing off from poetry into his pratfall in particular felt off in that regard, for example, etc.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

MokBa posted:

Scavengers Reign is the coolest poo poo I have seen in years. Somehow is living up to and surpassing my high expectations.

Yeah it’s great. This is why Max might still be worth paying for, seeing something like this I’ve never heard of pop up and it turns out to be awesome.

Kind of reminds me of that bizarre French animated movie Fantastic Planet

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I'm going to be shocked if any of the characters get out of this alive except Levi. This show kinda reminds me of comic in the 90's called "Warriors of Plasm" about a planet that was alive filled with all sorts of organisms and goop.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I hope Madrano gets decently paid and maybe one day syndication, (Rogers too). But, has there been any news on who still owns Hazbin?

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
It's way too early to prove, but I can see a future where crowdsourcing starts to compete with national studios, when people stop caring about industry (Like what happened to buying music) and eventually direct to studio funding becomes a thing.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I believe to the best of my mind this is doinks Sr. at his relatively earliest: https://youtu.be/jd_c0JHbflI?si=wy6P0MvgL1P9_7Lu

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
looks like the Scott Pilgrim opening leaked

I'm so excited for this

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TheMopeSquad posted:

I'm going to be shocked if any of the characters get out of this alive except Levi. This show kinda reminds me of comic in the 90's called "Warriors of Plasm" about a planet that was alive filled with all sorts of organisms and goop.

I think some of them will live but they won't exactly be "human" anymore.

Also the opening sequence of the first episode makes me think the intergalactic shipping company knows the dangers of the planet and will go full " nuke it from orbit" if or when the survivors make contact.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I've seen actual animes that are less anime than that opening. What I'm saying is :perfect:

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

TwoPair posted:

I've seen actual animes that are less anime than that opening.

This is an actual anime

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Watching the new scavenger's reign, just going to quote myself.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think the red head guy will probably be one of those "can't do anything without loving up and making it worse for myself and everyone else" type of people

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

This is an actual anime

Yes but I thought they'd tone it down for this show since it's based on a Canadian comic. I've never been so happy to be wrong

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How many episodes will Scavenger’s Reign be?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

How many episodes will Scavenger’s Reign be?

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Excellent. This is some of the dopest poo poo i've seen in years, glad there's plenty more to go.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

There's definitely elements I think are really neat but the more I sit on it I'm coming to realization it's a little hard to get invested. All the characters are either already beat down or have accepted their circumstances. I find it hard to care when they've all already given up, even our point of view character at the end of the pilot.

yeah. i think the beginning freakouts and the ending/void freak where pomni just goes into the smiling friends Pim shutdown is great. other parts are fine. I think most of the character choices are fine so far though.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Finally sat down and watched the Digital Circus pilot. Loved it, Pomni is amazing, and I cannot wait for more (there better be more :ohdear: ). I do get where the criticisms are coming from-- the beginning especially felt jarring in terms of pacing and timing-- but I also felt like the show found its footing as the pilot went on.

yeah i enjoyed it too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TwoPair posted:

Yes but I thought they'd tone it down for this show since it's based on a Canadian comic. I've never been so happy to be wrong

They kept saying during the NYCC panel that every idea they pitched to Science Saru on their story boards and the music inevitably got cranked up to anime-11 in the best way possible.

The entire OP was pure Science Saru. (They even chose the artist and track.) O’Maley told them they had free rein, and they went full nostalgia trip with it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

*bites on this intro like a gold coin* yessir, that's an anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I watched that Digital Circus whatever because you guys were discussing it. It was a bit ehh. Fine, I guess. It's just a pilot I guess, maybe in future episodes they could evolve the characters and have better stories.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like they kinda over sold the dark part because i feel like while its gonna have a dark undercurrent and probably end up like SOMA on some level i kinda feel like its gonna end up like helluva boss where alot of people think its just gonna me hosed up violent office comedy but it ends up being a hosed up romantic dramaedy with the whole IMP thing being mostly a side thing. I feel like from watching it, its mostly gonna focus on pomni looking for ways out or at least coming to terms with poo poo and slowly figuring out a way out or at least another level to the maze. who knows. i think what hurt it most is pacing though.

My theory of her being hosed up at the end is because she saw the reality, it's like SOMA in that they are digital copies of the people who used the vr headset, the real her already removed the headset and continued with her life, she won't ever escape

In other more interesting news: goddamn Scavengers Reign is good. Great direction, interesting character development, sublime art style. Cool music too!
Although it's making GBS threads way too much in a single character (Kamen). He started in the most screwed up situation of all the survivors, the series present him as the most vicious killer, and now in episode 4 it's is revealed it wasn't a normal, freak accident, it all happened BECAUSE OF HIM. I kinda would prefer if it was just just a normal accident with people doing its best to survive, instead of having a 'villain' figure.