Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

fanfic insert posted:

The post is explicitly about reality not matching paper and you say nuh-uh and link the paper

I do not think I'm going to meet a standard of proof of getting you onto a ship to personally count with your own eyes and hands all of the armored units on board. Especially when the standard of proof to believe that the US doesn't deploy any tank brigades to Europe is "I read it on a twitter post with zero sources."

But it's possible that ships like these are just transporting decoys and that out of frame, there are no more vehicles at all, like some kind of transportation hoax that every soldier who rotates through Europe is in on. It's also predictably stupid that when these giant trains loaded with tanks and IFVs and artillery and the like go through Texas to seaports, on the way out to or back from Europe, you get tinfoil hat guys thinking the federal troops are there to conquer Texas or something.

The Port of Beaumont, TX is a publicly known place and is one of several ports typically used for this kind of stuff.

Punished Turtle posted:

mlmp08’s silence on Palestine is deafening

In sincerity, the collective punishment and war crimes against the Palestinian people is so gross, enduring, and indefensible that it's just not even remotely fun or interesting to trade barbs with psychopaths who think they aren't people and deserve it. And the one weird trick of "if you think Palestinian civilians shouldn't all just eat it and hope they don't die, I guess you love terrorism" is so loving boring. Even if someone wanted to be some real-politic edgelord to make excuses for killing civilians, even from that twisted view, it is not a compelling argument, and it sucks. So I avoid the I/P zones where people lose their loving minds about Iran or something while gasping that it's okay to indiscriminately bomb civilians and cut off their food, water, medical supplies, on top of just blowing up their homes. Pretty hard to say "oops, just collateral" when you're cutting off basic human life support and being indiscriminate by design.

"The US is losing WW3" may well be apt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:hai:

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i can understand people not believing that because shipping 70-ton tanks back and forth across the atlantic for maintenance is maybe one of the stupidest ideas i've ever heard.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hatebag posted:

i can understand people not believing that because shipping 70-ton tanks back and forth across the atlantic for maintenance is maybe one of the stupidest ideas i've ever heard.

people within the US government debated and still debate both sides of it, at length.

And a lot of the debate is not about the tanks, it’s about housing and moving family members and whether that is good or bad. Don’t need families if the troops are “deployed” for 9 months at a time away from families and living in barracks and doing exercises nonstop rather than having family around and going home at the end of each day. Plus political issues of stationing and building base infrastructure or not.

so basic routine is they modernize, do a bunch of collective training events in the states, then ship over to relieve an armor unit coming to the end of their European tour.

some other nations that only use their tanks in their own borders think it’s insane how much of US training is “get your equipment on a train/ship/airplane under its own power to prove you can,” since they don’t deploy overseas and have “worldwide deployment” requirements.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 14:04 on Oct 24, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
shipping tanks back and forth is a thing that sounds really dumb but also that's kind of always been the game plan and logistics/fuel costs are well worth keeping people at least maybe a little refreshed on how to get tanks to the periphery if you want to maintain your holdings

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

what's the point of keeping your logistics top notch if you just lose every war anyway? ron paul was right! close those bases!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Punished Turtle posted:

mlmp08’s silence on Palestine is deafening

there's no way of knowing if those paragliders were hamas or just some guys enjoying some recreation. attributing any deaths to those attacks is denying the agency of the settlers.

edit:

mlmp08 posted:

In sincerity, the collective punishment and war crimes against the Palestinian people is so gross, enduring, and indefensible that it's just not even remotely fun or interesting to trade barbs with psychopaths who think they aren't people and deserve it. And the one weird trick of "if you think Palestinian civilians shouldn't all just eat it and hope they don't die, I guess you love terrorism" is so loving boring. Even if someone wanted to be some real-politic edgelord to make excuses for killing civilians, even from that twisted view, it is not a compelling argument, and it sucks. So I avoid the I/P zones where people lose their loving minds about Iran or something while gasping that it's okay to indiscriminately bomb civilians and cut off their food, water, medical supplies, on top of just blowing up their homes. Pretty hard to say "oops, just collateral" when you're cutting off basic human life support and being indiscriminate by design.

well okay good

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Cuttlefush posted:

shipping tanks back and forth is a thing that sounds really dumb but also that's kind of always been the game plan and logistics/fuel costs are well worth keeping people at least maybe a little refreshed on how to get tanks to the periphery if you want to maintain your holdings

Admittedly I am one of gods stupidest creatures but if you are shipping tanks from the USA to Europe then those transport ships have to make the return journey anyway so you might as well fill those boats with broken tanks. Iirc the USSR had a similar theory with aircraft engines where they were not really meant to be serviced thoroughly at forward positions because it makes a bunch of sense to just bring in good spares and take them back to central locations for rebuild.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that reminds me of how instead of trying to figure out how to cool the barrel of a machine gun, the MG42 just made it really easy to swap in a new barrel after the current one was overheated

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

big dong wanter posted:

Admittedly I am one of gods stupidest creatures but if you are shipping tanks from the USA to Europe then those transport ships have to make the return journey anyway so you might as well fill those boats with broken tanks. Iirc the USSR had a similar theory with aircraft engines where they were not really meant to be serviced thoroughly at forward positions because it makes a bunch of sense to just bring in good spares and take them back to central locations for rebuild.

well hold on now... i think a lot (all? not sure) of the shipping is done through https://www.arcshipping.com/ and they also do commercial transport. not sure i'd compare it to ussr's logistics, which is also on land and rail-based and not the weird private Voluntary Intermodal Sealift Agreement (https://www.maritime.dot.gov/national-security/strategic-sealift/voluntary-intermodal-sealift-agreement-visa) bullshit. who even owns arkshipping?

also lol bonus whatever this is https://www.maritime.dot.gov/sites/...re-8-1-2019.pdf

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lol of course they outsourced the shipping. i bet a lot of people who make the tank boat decisions retire to fake jobs at the shipping company

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

gradenko_2000 posted:

that reminds me of how instead of trying to figure out how to cool the barrel of a machine gun, the MG42 just made it really easy to swap in a new barrel after the current one was overheated

That's fairly normal with gpmg design iirc.

Cuttlefush posted:

well hold on now... i think a lot (all? not sure) of the shipping is done through https://www.arcshipping.com/ and they also do commercial transport. not sure i'd compare it to ussr's logistics, which is also on land and rail-based and not the weird private Voluntary Intermodal Sealift Agreement (https://www.maritime.dot.gov/national-security/strategic-sealift/voluntary-intermodal-sealift-agreement-visa) bullshit. who even owns arkshipping?

also lol bonus whatever this is https://www.maritime.dot.gov/sites/...re-8-1-2019.pdf

Ah well I did done assume that the us DOD used us DOD ships to move their shite. Well gently caress at least I overestimated the great Satan instead of the other way around

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
oh hey look a pertinent excerpt!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hatebag posted:

lol of course they outsourced the shipping. i bet a lot of people who make the tank boat decisions retire to fake jobs at the shipping company

It’s a mix. Sometimes contracted, especially for routine safe operations, other times merchant marine, army boats, etc. The army has a bunch of port operations teams while military sealift command deals with assigning ships to missions. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Sealift_Command

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

mlmp08 posted:

mlmp08 is right

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mlmp08 posted:

:hai:

Reuters has been pretty fair overall (for a western source etc), but yesterday I caught in the war article of the day them calling Hamas launching rockets as "terrorism". Like, the district has been bombed night and day for 2 weeks straight, it's clearly a war.

I'm loving this new angle of propaganda war that says one party in a war just isn't permitted attack the other. Like with Russia insisting Ukraine isn't allowed do attacks inside Russia because that's against the da roolz. Are you at war or are you not?

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

From the I/P thread

Wasn’t “psychohistory” in the Foundation novels essentially an anemic knock-off of Dialectical Materialism?

Great show, though.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

people within the US government debated and still debate both sides of it, at length.

And a lot of the debate is not about the tanks, it’s about housing and moving family members and whether that is good or bad. Don’t need families if the troops are “deployed” for 9 months at a time away from families and living in barracks and doing exercises nonstop rather than having family around and going home at the end of each day. Plus political issues of stationing and building base infrastructure or not.

We built a town, Lehr, for 4 CMBG

hth

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Got good news about American sealift. Good luck supplying anything with a bunch of 50 year old steamships.

https://news.usni.org/2023/03/29/marad-head-not-at-all-confident-ready-reserve-fleet-could-be-crewed-in-a-crisis

quote:

During her opening remarks, Waltz said the sealift fleet had concerning readiness rates in recent exercises.

Van Ovost said Transportation Command was analyzing the results of the 2022 Turbo Activation exercise and using better metrics so it would have more confidence in being able to assess the fleet’s readiness.

“We have not yet seen the return on investment” in various modernization efforts and reforms that followed after the 2019 exercise, Van Ovost said. Only 40 percent of the ships involved in the exercise were capable of being put to sea on short notice.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

hth

and you kept 4th CMBG there for how long post-Cold War?

If we’re talking about armored units that existed 30-60 years ago, yeah, the US had a shitload of armor in Europe instead of the present day rotational and APS model.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Zadok Allen posted:

Wasn’t “psychohistory” in the Foundation novels essentially an anemic knock-off of Dialectical Materialism?

Great show, though.
yeah. Asimov's ego was far larger than his intellect. IMO the show is much better than the books.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

cat botherer posted:

yeah. Asimov's ego was far larger than his intellect. IMO the show is much better than the books.

Well the s2 is good. S1... only the original content empire portion is good, all the stuff from the book are terrible. I am not too crazy about the book either.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
more like isaac aidsimov

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Was it in this thread people were talking about jobs at military sealift command?

The pay doesn't look terrible compared to being enlisted but life is probably horrible and you're either on a ship for 9 months, or stranded at an island naval base wishing you could be on a ship for 9 months?

Seems like being a baker or something for 100k a year would appeal to people.
https://sealiftcommand.com/departments/culinary/cook-baker/27

Maybe it's hard to get that specific job, or msc life simply sucks that badly, I dunno. It's fun to watch the videos and imagine if life has gone differently. maybe I'd be a second officer by now!

(Nope, still a liquid poo poo pumper, damnit.)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

dune is dialectical materialism the novel

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

palindrome posted:

Was it in this thread people were talking about jobs at military sealift command?

The pay doesn't look terrible compared to being enlisted but life is probably horrible and you're either on a ship for 9 months, or stranded at an island naval base wishing you could be on a ship for 9 months?

Seems like being a baker or something for 100k a year would appeal to people.
https://sealiftcommand.com/departments/culinary/cook-baker/27

Maybe it's hard to get that specific job, or msc life simply sucks that badly, I dunno. It's fun to watch the videos and imagine if life has gone differently. maybe I'd be a second officer by now!

(Nope, still a liquid poo poo pumper, damnit.)

i knew people who worked those jobs (not for sealift but on long term cruises on government adjacent ships) and they loved it. usually. if they did it for more than a season. it was also a 6 on 6 off kind of thing. it's also probably the fastest way to get that a feel for if you like that lifestyle and I knew a few people who did a stint and then went on to get their MMCs or whatever or who decided they werent about the sailors life

have heard horror stories about a lot of commercial vessels. being a steward on one of the few us science ships is chill though

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zadok Allen posted:

Great show, though.

id call it "quantitative dialectical materialism" but asimov didnt realize thats what he was describing because

cat botherer posted:

and

Egg Moron posted:

dune is dialectical materialism the novel

dune's a way, way better take on the same basic idea

jared harris is loving killing it as hari seldon though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

hth

What does Lehr mean because that's the same name as a Wehrmacht Panzer Division

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
it should be lahr lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Forces_Base_Lahr

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

and you kept 4th CMBG there for how long post-Cold War?

grumble grumble grumble 2 years

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

What does Lehr mean because that's the same name as a Wehrmacht Panzer Division

To answer this question anyway Lehr is German for "teach".

This division was formed out of training personell and instructors when the Germans started being in serious trouble in 1943. It's presented as an elite division but lol poo poo is totally hosed when you cannibalize your training pipeline.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i enjoyed all of the foundation show, yeah the empire bit is better but for most people it's another making perfect the enemy of the good situation. And that's weird to me because it's not like there's a lot of good sci fi on tv at the moment. But yeah people are like "this isn't perfect so I dropped it after 2 episodes" and i guess this is why everything gets cancelled after 2 seasons apart from dramas that are relatively cheap to make

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or they could just make something original instead

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TotherChris/status/1716760525038600673

america's attack dog ran out of grift missiles so they're ordering more grift missiles at higher grift prices

Danann has issued a correction as of 05:38 on Oct 25, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Slavvy posted:

that would be unamerican

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

xpost not sure if succ or ww3 loss
DHS to offer ‘lifeboat’ reassignments to employees in expiring CWMD office | Federal News Network

federalnewsnetwork.com posted:

The Department of Homeland Security is setting up potential reassignments for employees in its Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction unit if Congress fails to reauthorize the office later this year.

The authority for the CWMD office terminates Dec. 21. While bipartisan legislation to reauthorize CWMD exists in both chambers of Congress, time is running short as lawmakers face another looming government shutdown scenario in mid-November, while House Republicans have yet to appoint a new speaker.

“It’s a complicated congressional environment right now,” Mary Ellen Callahan, the assistance secretary of DHS’s CWMD Office, said in an interview.

The CWMD office is responsible for working with state and local governments as well as international partners to guard against chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear threats to the United States.

“We’re explaining the value proposition that is the CWMD office,” Callahan said regarding DHS’s conversations on Capitol Hill. “How integrated we are with our DHS components, how we support our components, providing them equipment, training, technical assistance, and expertise. And how we also are working with our state and local stakeholders that comprise almost 40% of the U.S. population.”

With the CWMD office facing termination, however, DHS leaders are considering contingency reassignments for the 234 employees who work there. Callahan said DHS leaders have agreed to keep open some jobs in the coming months to prioritize the reassignment of CWMD employees should Congress fail to act.

CWMD employees have until Nov. 17 to select a reassignment offer. They would then be officially reassigned to those new positions on Dec. 17, which is the start of the first pay period before CWMD’s authority expires.

After Dec. 17, Callahan said CWMD would not be able to pull them back if Congress makes a last-ditch reauthorization attempt. She said it would be the “largest management directed reassignment” in DHS’s history.

“The contingent reassignment is to give a lifeboat to folks, to make sure that they continue as a fed, they don’t have a break in service, and that they can find a job that is at least within their series and grade,” Callahan said.

The office includes employees ranging from nuclear physicists and chemical engineers to veterinarians who work on bio-surveillance programs.

“These are unusual positions that we’re really leaning forward to make sure we can find a place where they can be productive federal employees, if indeed CWMD goes away,” Callahan said.

But she said the office is starting to see some “slight attrition” due to the uncertainty about the office’s future.

“We’ve had a couple of people who have left and I know other people are looking at it, or considering retirement or other exit options,” Callahan said. “I have encouraged them to stay around, because I feel very passionate about this mission. And I feel that it’s an incredibly important time for this office to continue. With that said, I understand that people have to make choices on their own. I think the closer we get to December, particularly the latter part of the month, the more we’re going to see people exiting the office at their own will.”

The CWMD office was formally established in 2018 and has struggled with morale challenges for much of its existence. Its employee engagement score of 39.4 in 2022 ranked 430th out of 432 subcomponents across the entire federal government.

The office has struggled with turnover among its senior leadership ranks, according to the Government Accountability Office. Callahan is now the fourth different assistant secretary to take the helm since 2018.

Callahan was previously chief of staff to former DHS Deputy Secretary John Tien, who led a DHS-wide morale improvement initiative.

“I’m taking what I learned and applying it here at CWMD,” she said. “I am an engaged leader that likes to inspire teams to get the best out of them, and also have individuals feel seen and heard. And I’m leading the office this way. I’m trying to be very candid about where we are. But I’m also trying to inspire the team to let them know that not only do I believe in them, but I think I can get more out of them.”

If the office is reauthorized, she said her longer term goal is to make CWMD’s operations more integrated into the processes and policymaking happening across other DHS components.

“We can help be subject matter experts for them, as we face this weapons of mass destruction issue,” Callahan said. “And that’s, I think, how to help the morale here. These people are experts, and they want to be seen as an expert, and they want to be engaged in the mission.”
highly critical support for House Republicans

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

id call it "quantitative dialectical materialism" but asimov didnt realize thats what he was describing because

and

jared harris is loving killing it as hari seldon though

Idk, he wrote foundation in the 50ies. Would probably have been dumb to call it that

Centrist Committee posted:

that would be unamerican

genericnick has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Oct 25, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Slavvy posted:

like raised by wolves?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I love the original foundation trilogy and most of dune (uh books 1 through 5ish), but what the world really needs is a new tv series about modern events. Wargame: Millenium Challenge™

- Many years ago, a battle erupted where the US lost. this actually never happened, since it was a WARGAME
- But now, terrorist forces are using the same tactics that were pioneered by actual USSTRATCOM masterminds
- Teleporting motorcycles and suicide speedboats threaten the new world order
- Only one man is ripped enough to stop them. Enter -- Van Riper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Zadok Allen posted:

The Oldest Man posted:

Somebody once told me that Dune was essentially the story of Foundation told from the perspective of the Mule and I still think about that when it's mentioned.