Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Inadequately posted:

Randomly decided to read the wiki page for Batman: Death in the Family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Death_in_the_Family_(comics)

Apparently the winning character ended up being Jimmy Olsen, but in the end they decided to call that whole thing off and just publish PSAs starring superheroes talking about the AIDS crisis.

Oh god this is the same poo poo that happened with speedy ain' it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

90sgamer posted:

It’s not. Most of the poo poo johns is doing was originally going to be released by DC under an imprint called “Killing Zone”.

He probably thought it was BS that Bendis, joe hill, gaiman and Gerard way just show up and instantly get their own imprints and Hickman was offered one but DC cancelled his.
Oh man, I had forgotten about THE KILLING ZONE. I don't think that the motives you're describing line up to the sequence of events:

2009-2010: Geoff Johns named Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment during the big shake-up that installed Diane Nelson as president and Didio/Jim Lee as co-publishers. The shake-up also put DC Comics as a subsidiary of "DC Entertainment", a newly formed discrete division of Time Warner.
Summer 2015: DC Comics moves offices from New York City to Burbank, California
July 2016: Geoff Johns is named president of DC Entertainment after Nelson is promoted to President/Chief Creative Officer of Warner Bros Consumer Products and Entertainment
July 2016: Young Animal, a "pop up imprint" curated by Gerard Way featuring obscure DC characters is announced
October 2016: AT&T announces their intention to purchase Time Warner
2017-2018: A bunch of antitrust/legal obstacles to the AT&T purchase crop up, but by early 2018 the path is cleared and the purchase is made official in June
March 2018: Sandman Universe, a "pop up imprint" "overseen" by Neil Gaiman featuring DC-owned Sandman/supernatural characters is announced
November 2017: After a bunch of issues, Justice League, the first movie guided by Geoff Johns in his new role as President of DC Entertainment hits theaters. It is not a hit.
June 6, 2018: After a leave of absence, Diane Nelson resigns from DC/WB.
June 11, 2018: Geoff Johns announces that he is stepping down from CCO position, forming Mad Ghost LLC and will focus on writing/producing comics and film
June 2018: Killing Zone, a "pop up imprint" curated by Geoff Johns featuring obscure DC characters is announced
October 2018: Wonder Comics, a "pop up imprint" curated by Brian Michael Bendis featuring young DC superheroes is announced
June 2019: Hill House, a "pop up line of horror comic books" curated by Joe Hill is announced
February 2020: Dan Didio is fired as co-publisher of DC Comics
October 2020: Ray Fisher and others start speaking publicly about the unprofessional/toxic work environment producing the Justice League film, and Johns is one of the people named in these stories
December 2020: Geoff Johns/Mad Ghost announce their first Image series, Geiger

Johns was a high level DC executive and likely played a role in the deals that created Young Animal and the Sandman Universe.
He had stepped down from an executive position at DC by the time Wonder and Hill House were announced, but both of those took place after Killing Zone was announced, which itself was part of his own freelance deal he signed with DC in 2018 after stepping down. It's possible that at some point between 2018-2020 that DC "cancelled" Killing Zone, though it is equally possible that things were just delayed because of the pandemic, continuing upheaval at DC/their parent company, etc.

Remembering that Killing Zone exists does make the similarities between Geiger and Kamandi/Atomic Knights and Junkyard Joe/GI Robot all the more glaring, though.

Siegkrow posted:

Oh god this is the same poo poo that happened with speedy ain' it?
Are you talking about the 1971 comic where it was revealed he using heroin, or something else?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Yes, the heroin thing. Is that how it happened? Higher ups trying to do a PSA and mangling it?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Siegkrow posted:

Yes, the heroin thing. Is that how it happened? Higher ups trying to do a PSA and mangling it?
Not really?

The Green Lantern/Green Arrow run by O'Neil/Adams was very deliberately tacking Social Issues and both creators wanted to do a story about young people getting hooked on drugs. And then they did it. They had to push against higher-ups (and indirectly the Comics Code Authority, who ended up folding after Spider-Man did a similar story, got rejected by the CCA, and then lauded in the mainstream press as brave and socially conscious for publishing it without code approval) to get it published at all.

DC Comics has gone back to "Speedy is on drugs!" about a hundred times since then with wildly varying levels of sensitivity and quality, which is why I thought you might be referring to one of those.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I thought he was talking about Mia having AIDS. Tough being a Speedy.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Being speedy is cursed, apparently

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Admittedly, they're part of why I got into comics and so I have a soft spot for them, but I'm excited to hear about new Elseworlds series. Curious about the new Gotham by Gaslight, running 12 issues should mean that my biggest complaint about the original (I wish it was longer) shouldn't be an issue. Batman the Barbarian sounds like it'd be exactly my poo poo though there's not much description for it, and Green Lantern: Dark sounds like it could be interesting. Also a new Dark Knights of Steel miniseries, sequel to DC vs Vampires, and another Batman mini that doesn't have much of a description but the cover they show looks like a Batman toy I had as a kid so maybe.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hell yeah, Elseworlds.

That one year in the mid-1990s where every annual was an Elseworlds was the best DC event ever.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So many of those minis sound good but I will probably trade wait them meaning I won't get any of them for about 4 years.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

catlord posted:

Admittedly, they're part of why I got into comics and so I have a soft spot for them, but I'm excited to hear about new Elseworlds series. Curious about the new Gotham by Gaslight, running 12 issues should mean that my biggest complaint about the original (I wish it was longer) shouldn't be an issue. Batman the Barbarian sounds like it'd be exactly my poo poo though there's not much description for it, and Green Lantern: Dark sounds like it could be interesting. Also a new Dark Knights of Steel miniseries, sequel to DC vs Vampires, and another Batman mini that doesn't have much of a description but the cover they show looks like a Batman toy I had as a kid so maybe.

"How can we justify making 8 more Batman mini/maxi series?"

"Guys, I got a great new idea!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

"How can we justify making 8 more Batman mini/maxi series?"

"Guys, I got a great new idea!"

You say that as if OG Elseworlds didn't consist of 80% Batman.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Mother gently caress y'all I've been waiting

twelve years

for this, DC don't you be edging me now

Thomas Warcrimes King we will always be enemies (you know what you did)

BUT

If you truly do manage to recanonize clay origin for realsies no takebacks I will forgive you for EVERYTHING and consider our debt settled!

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
1) Tom King is a purist so of course hes going with that origin

2) Tom King is no more or less responsible for war crimes than any other American citizen

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

90sgamer posted:

1) Tom King is a purist so of course hes going with that origin

2) Tom King is no more or less responsible for war crimes than any other American citizen

tom king was a cia "counter-terrorism" officer for 7 years

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Alaois posted:

tom king was a cia "counter-terrorism" officer for 7 years

And? Do you have evidence to support the idea that King willingly committed war crimes?

The war on terror was bs but it employed a lot of people not all of them were Cheneys henchmen

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Started reading City Boy. This is a pretty cool book.

90sgamer posted:

And? Do you have evidence to support the idea that King willingly committed war crimes?

The war on terror was bs but it employed a lot of people not all of them were Cheneys henchmen

The evidence is that he was in the CIA.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vandar posted:

The evidence is that he was in the CIA.

That’s not evidence though. Unless you can actually link him or the unit he was in with genuine war crimes, you shouldn’t say he’s a war criminal. That’s a serious accusation, and one you should only use with near-certainty, not something you use by association.

He’s a hack with bad ideas, that we know for sure

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

The CIA is in and of itself a warcrime. Choosing to join it is a warcrime.
Source: I come from one of the many countries that had a CIA backed dictatorship.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Siegkrow posted:

The CIA is in and of itself a warcrime. Choosing to join it is a warcrime.
Source: I come from one of the many countries that had a CIA backed dictatorship.

Espionage isn’t a war crime. Choosing to join a government institution isn’t a war crime. Backing a coup isn’t a war crime.

War crime isn’t synonymous with “bad thing”, it has a very specific meaning and joining the CIA isn’t that

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
Many people joined national security organizations after 9/11 for various reasons including but not limited to good paying job, a desire to keep people safe and investigate legitimate threats, a sense of patriotism (whether right or wrong). Have there been bad actors in the CIA? Undoubtedly but that doesn’t mean everyone who gets a job in the CIA is committing war crimes and torturing people.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The calm hitlers have infected BSS.

My Batman reading continues. I'm nearly up to cataclysm and no man's land and am excited to see how that event us. I do think Alan Grant was the best Batman writer ever.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Mother gently caress y'all I've been waiting

twelve years

for this, DC don't you be edging me now

Thomas Warcrimes King we will always be enemies (you know what you did)

BUT

If you truly do manage to recanonize clay origin for realsies no takebacks I will forgive you for EVERYTHING and consider our debt settled!

It’s said in a very noncommittal/shrugging fashion by a character that is clearly portrayed as being a liar, holding the lasso of lies and building America on a throne of lies and is ultimately an unreliable narrator. Meanwhile he is narrating it to Lizzy/Trinity and the insinuation from the dialogue seems to suggest that she was raised on a different story. (“We know we know. We have heard the other story as well”)

It seems like it’s there to be deliberately ambiguous and let the reader choose which version they prefer. Or perhaps keep it deliberately vague while waiting to see what the movies do and which way for the synergy to lean? I dunno it seemed very noncommittal.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 25, 2023

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Maybe he’s a war criminal because many of his major works are about characters processing how to deal with doing war crimes

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hey, overseeing the torturers contracted by the government but not actually preforming the act personally is fine! Don't even sweat it, my guy!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s not evidence though. Unless you can actually link him or the unit he was in with genuine war crimes, you shouldn’t say he’s a war criminal.

Good news, we can definitely link him to the CIA. So it's fine.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

It seems like it’s there to be deliberately ambiguous and let the reader choose which version they prefer. Or perhaps keep it deliberately vague while waiting to see what the movies do and which way for the synergy to lean? I dunno it seemed very noncommittal.

Does anyone actually prefer the secret love child origin? Like, it was fine for that specific Wonder Woman story which was built around that idea. But as the canon origin in all Wonder Woman stories, who wants that?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Y'all I was just making a HiC joke :911:

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

It’s said in a very noncommittal/shrugging fashion by a character that is clearly portrayed as being a liar, holding the lasso of lies and building America on a throne of lies and is ultimately an unreliable narrator. Meanwhile he is narrating it to Lizzy/Trinity and the insinuation from the dialogue seems to suggest that she was raised on a different story. (“We know we know. We have heard the other story as well”)

I meeean, I'd disagree on it being "noncommital." The narration tacitly mocking "the other story" while propping up the one that Tom (Definitely Not a War Criminal Probably) King clearly prefers is literally the most...commital...that they've ever been about this. Like, compare the "Forged first of clay. Then steel." line with Sovereign also saying that the center of the other story is "most certainly a lie" There's such a thing as an unreliable narrator, but there's no hiding what the story is actually saying.

It's true that any future writer could probably point at the narrator being unreliable for an easy excuse if they ever wanted to walk back on this, but the fact is that DC continuity is such a dire house fire right now, with no one knowing anything definitively, that any writer could frankly walk back on anything anyone wrote, at any given point, with any justification they wanted. That'd be the case no matter what King wrote here. The fact is that -- whether with WW or any other character, whether at DC or anywhere else -- the only "canon" is what's been most recently printed, and most recently imprinted on the readers.

The fact also is that King's first issue of this run has been the best that the title has sold since...god, who even knows? When was the last time a WW issue was on a top ten sales list? It being on there now is actually kind of crazy. And sad. (And probably undeserved lol, it ain't that good :sweatdrop:) So what we have is the run that will probably end up being the most well-known Wonder Woman story of recent memory -- deserving or not -- openly declaring that she's made of clay and that the other story is most certainly a lie. That ain't nothing, and it's only the second issue! Who knows what else is coming.

Gripweed posted:

Does anyone actually prefer the secret love child origin?
New 52 fans and DCEU fans, who are basically the same thing. :kiddo: They fuckin' looove the demigod stuff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Y'all I was just making a HiC joke :911:

There is no place for jokes in this forum, sir, only discussion of government agencies, their histories, and how/if by proxy employees are responsible for their sins.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 25, 2023

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The differences between being bitten by a radioactive spider and being bitten by a genetically-modified spider are minimal if the stories about the person who gets bitten are no good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TwoPair posted:

There is no place for jokes in this forum, sir, only discussion of government agencies, their histories, and how/if by proxy employees are responsible for their sins.

Just following orders

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've used the CIA world Factbook for research and now I am worried that I will be accused of committing war crimes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don’t mind the love child origin, but it’s kind of pointless in the long run. Wonder Woman and the Amazon’s didn’t need a new origin, though I did really like what Azzarello did with the rest of the pantheon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This isn't the place for discussing Tom King's past pre-comic writing bullshit. Only his comic writing bullshit, of which is there is plenty to discuss.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I will say King's intepretation of Steve is...well, real bad. What's this nonsense with him doubting Diana enough to be cussing at her? I think King was trying to evoke the Chris Pine Steve who was like nooo Diana you can't fight them all you're not good enough:reject: before the No Man's Land moment -- which of course leads her being very much good enough to absolutely fight them all -- but the difference is that Chris Pine Steve was a rookie Steve who hasn't seen Diana do all the cool poo poo, and this should be a Steve that has, so it just ends up making him look the most patronizing he's looked since, like, the 70s.

I miss Cloonrad's upbeat bi-curious himbo Steve. :sigh: This is really one of those things that makes you appreciate what you had before you lost it. Truly, comic books both giveth and taketh.

Though Steve's conduct here certainly strengthens the theory I've heard being floated around that Trinity is going to end up being made from clay as well, 'cuz I don't think King's gonna have Diana make a baby with this guy and there are hardly any other viable prospects.

In other comics, I quite enjoyed the Alan Scott book, and it also came as a surprise that it's apparently an ongoing series? I haven't been paying nearly enough attention to this.

Phillip Kennedy Johnson's Action Comics continues to be a perfect Superman book. Well, the villains are very blustery and annoying, which...is also pretty on brand for Superman comics, tbf.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

X-O posted:

This isn't the place for discussing Tom King's past pre-comic writing bullshit. Only his comic writing bullshit, of which is there is plenty to discuss.

Thank you! This thread goes to poo poo whenever he’s brought up.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

BrianWilly posted:

Phillip Kennedy Johnson's Action Comics continues to be a perfect Superman book. Well, the villains are very blustery and annoying, which...is also pretty on brand for Superman comics, tbf.

I am sad to see it go, but three years is a pretty long time for a Superman book to be good.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am sad to see it go, but three years is a pretty long time for a Superman book to be good.

Is the run all collected in trades I’d like to check it out

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
King's Wonder Woman is very not great, yeah. Also, a passing thought I had related to it is where does all of that Lasso of Lies stuff put Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters? Is he also now an entity powered by a lie or ???

King's Penguin is much better and I think his strengths are in these tighter, smaller scenes with a well defined focus. Anything at a higher scope and he just loses the plot or gets high on his own supply or something.

There's a bunch of stuff going on in the Red Hood comic and it's a mess that's trying to tie into 4 different series/specials at once and woof.

I have no idea where Green Arrow is headed, but I'm all in on it. Same with Flash. poo poo's getting weird in Flash, in a good way.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
It seems like King does a good job when given the freedom to write a self contained miniseries but doesn’t do as well with writing heavily editorialized ongoing series and tie in events that have to connect with a broader continuity.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The dream backup in the new issue of Harley is Junji Ito inspired and it's kind of great. :swoon:

And here I thought they wouldn't be able to top the Evangelion dream sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
You ever have a book that feels like it almost wins you back with its managing to at least stick the landing without smashing its face into the pavement leaving it a bloody husk
then manages to do that with a sudden last page reveal at the last issue anyway?
That's Unstoppable Doom Patrol. I've saved you six issues.