Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the dark place is just a place.

the dark presence is a separate entity that follows alan trying to gaslight and compel him into writing it into existence using his artistic abilities to access the dark place - all of the power it demonstrates in the game is because he sat at cauldron lake and wrote that it would have that power during the story that ends with him defeating it, just as thomas zane wrote he would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

disposablewords posted:

Alan's there in the first place because he's burnt out and can't create. But he proved desirable because the Dark Presence really needs a narrative to exploit, and a novel author works in a more suited medium than the poets, painters, and songwriters it snared before. He talks constantly about how the narrative has to hang together, not just be logical but also follow the "rules" of storytelling, and it gets hammered in further when he mentions writing for TV serials and having the ability to just write originally beat into him by the need to pay bills. The picture painted of him is someone formulaic and workmanlike, which is what the Dark Presence actually needed.

And also seriously, it is a first-draft work, produced under massive pressure without more than the most cursory editing passes to make sure poo poo hangs together. Polish for quality would come later, probably after it had been rewritten so many times it barely resembles the original. A number of real authors are open about the process actually being like that, Alan's situation is absolutely playing into it.

"Man, he wrote this in a 24 hour bender with someone holding a gun to his wifes head. It's pretty awful. I don't think he's a great writer y'all.".

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

James Joyces Fart Letters are pretty great

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

lots of famous writing is actually real bad

"What!?" Watson ejaculated

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Countblanc posted:

yellow taxi goes vroom demo
That game also kicks rear end

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

So it may be rubbish, but at least it's fast rubbish under pressure?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

sebmojo posted:

So it may be rubbish, but at least it's fast rubbish under pressure?

Yeah? Alan even says in game it's not his best work, because he you know. Had poo poo going on when he was writing it.

This is on top of them playing with him having bad writers block before getting forced to write this whole thing. And also MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ALAN WAKE 1 him not even being real/in control of his actions, because he himself was a character created for this event.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad we've finally come back around to accepting that the writing in Alan Wake is bad

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Alan Wake is a bad writer. This is not played for laughs, he isn't there to skewer King or Patterson or whomever, this is not Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

But it is indeed funny that he's a bad, yet very popular writer, nonetheless.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The worst thing about the Remedyverse, a place where supernatural forces of unknowable power and malevolence are apparently a dime a dozen, is that Alan Wake is a bestselling author.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Orv posted:

The worst thing about the Remedyverse, a place where supernatural forces of unknowable power and malevolence are apparently a dime a dozen, is that Alan Wake is a bestselling author.

:hai:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lots of authors are both bestselling and terrible.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Orv posted:

Said fact is sufficiently explained by the mentioned forces of unknowable malevolence.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

the current dominant trend in business management across all sectors is to fire all permanent employees and use fleets of disposable contractors for all work instead. When this concept is applied to game development, you end up with a lot of people who are brought in to design or build specific systems, but nobody with the long-term knowhow to understand how everything fits together and design things to do so smoothly. hence: lots of feature rich games that run like poo poo

And all games are built on Unreal now, a large complicated engine that these contractors are all familiar with on the surface level but that nobody has the time or expertise to customize or optimize for their specific use-case.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Orv posted:

Upsidads posted:

James Joyces Fart Letters are pretty great
The video game adaptation was horrifying. I preferred Finnegan's Wake 64.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

"What!?" Watson ejaculated

The 7th Guest posted:

That game also kicks rear end

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Alan Wake absolutely rules

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Lol Konami released a convoluted guide for deciphering their patch versions for some reason

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Lol Konami released a convoluted guide for deciphering their patch versions for some reason

What the gently caress use is this to anyone??

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It reminds me of those charts that show what version of what console will have what content because they would have console exclusive content

Orv
May 4, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Exciting new technology in chart crimes.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

They're being thoughtful to people pirating the game by letting them know if they've grabbed the latest version or not. How nice of Konami.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's already a mod to get MGS2/3 running at high resolutions

https://github.com/Sergeanur/MGSResolutionPatch

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Assepoester posted:

Alan Wake is a bad writer. This is not played for laughs, he isn't there to skewer King or Patterson or whomever, this is not Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

But it is indeed funny that he's a bad, yet very popular writer, nonetheless.

On the plus side. I just read the new Garth Marenghi novel and it was delightful

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/62003142

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

lots of famous writing is actually real bad

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Harry Potter is worse than I thought.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sci-fi written by old white dudes primarily fuckin' weird about sex? You don't say.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Alan Wake would have been a much better game if he wrote like this.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Orv posted:

Sci-fi written by old white dudes primarily fuckin' weird about sex? You don't say.

"We have failed to uphold Brannigan’s Law. However, I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?"

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Good thing nobody reads the books past Dune.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Is that from a Frank book or from his failson's oeuvre?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dune works fine as a standalone novel

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where the red fern grows excitation edition

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

This.

I dunno, it's got a schlocky charm that sort of reminds me of the weird poo poo in Witcher 2. Coming from typical, safe, AAA gaming of the early 2010s I personally put it in a similar boat as TW2, STALKER, and other ambitious "charming" games compared to like COD or God of War.

Just my opinion, maaaaaan.

Witcher and STALKER are the quintessential eurojank games. CDPR were lucky that it was enough of a breakout hit that they were able to work their way up to Witcher 3, kinda like Larian with Original Sin.

Some of those eurojank studios could probably do amazing things if they didn't languish in B budget obscurity or get lost in licensing hell. Imagine if Piranha Bytes could actually make a polished game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Imagine is larian made cyberpunk

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Witcher and STALKER are the quintessential eurojank games. CDPR were lucky that it was enough of a breakout hit that they were able to work their way up to Witcher 3, kinda like Larian with Original Sin.

Some of those eurojank studios could probably do amazing things if they didn't languish in B budget obscurity or get lost in licensing hell. Imagine if Piranha Bytes could actually make a polished game.

The lucky part was being tied to a successful publishing business (CDP) that could afford to foot the bill of increasingly ambitious sequels.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The lucky part was being tied to a successful publishing business (CDP) that could afford to foot the bill of increasingly ambitious sequels.

Huh, I always thought CDP came after Witcher 1, but I guess not.

E:

Upsidads posted:

Imagine is larian made cyberpunk

:ohdear:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 25, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Huh, I always thought CDP came after Witcher 1, but I guess not.

Iirc the Witcher 1 came about in the form it did in part because of good relations between CDP and BioWare (from publishing the Baldur’s Gate games in Poland). BioWare apparently gave them the Aurora engine license for a pittance.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just figured Alan Wake was Stephen King basically, sometimes you get a masterpiece, sometimes you get a shower thought pushed out to 500 pages

and the idea that a town would be a supernatural nexus honed on him/his work is also extremely Stephen King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

The 7th Guest posted:

I just figured Alan Wake was Stephen King basically, sometimes you get a masterpiece, sometimes you get a shower thought pushed out to 500 pages

and the idea that a town would be a supernatural nexus honed on him/his work is also extremely Stephen King

Look no further than King's self-insert in The Dark Tower books.