Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

advanced micro devices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
advanced RISC machines

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

htc was pretty fun but absolutely doomed in the black-featureless-rectangle era of phones. they didn't necessarily make anything very *good* before that etiher, but they did a lot of random stuff.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Olivil posted:

what happened to HTC? seems like they were considered good as far as android go for a couple of years and then disappeared from the face of the earth

they were Nokia'd: google bought out HTC's hardware division and they exclusively make pixel hardware now.

what little manufacturing capacity the remainder of HTC has is now dedicated to sporadically releasing random metaverse/blockchain phones nobody cares about.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

wait do you work for that place?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My house has two Nest thermostats, one for heating and one for cooling, and their learning poo poo absolutely does not work in that scenario. My heating thermostat keeps trying to reset my poo poo back to 50 F until I turn off learning because that's what it was set at all summer. Good poo poo Google

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
having two different thermostats instead of one thermostat controlling both systems sounds completely insane

Apr 7, 2003

Jabor posted:

having two different thermostats instead of one thermostat controlling both systems sounds completely insane

I've got a 1990s era radiant boiler on one thermostat and a 2021 or so forced air cooling system on the other. I'm assuming the installer didn't put them both on one thermostat for a reason.

In either case, not being able to turn off learning during certain periods is dumb as poo poo.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I’m learning that nest thermostats are dumb as gently caress

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

sb hermit posted:

I’m learning that nest thermostats are dumb as gently caress

they’re really bad.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
but also having two of them fighting is a dumb idea that they didn’t plan for, can’t blame them for that.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the smart home was a "neat idea, if they can ever work the kinks out of it" thing in the 1970s (when you could buy x.10 devices at radio shack)

fifty years (and, like, a trillion times more processing power thanks to moores law) it remains a "neat idea, if they can ever work the kinks out of it" thing

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
smart home would becool if it was like motion sensors and automatic doors

instead we get monthly subscriptions and hubs to work with other hubs so we can turn on a light bulb from a phobe

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

smart home would becool if it was like motion sensors and automatic doors

instead we get monthly subscriptions and hubs to work with other hubs so we can turn on a light bulb from a phobe

well that's the problem with most people's home "automation" efforts. they don't actually automate anything. they just move switches to somewhere less convenient. takes a lot of time, effort, money and tweaking to actually automate something as simple as lighting. I had many motion and pir sensors and a nest of node-red flows just to handle lighting alone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
my ecobee and hue stuff is cool and good sorry bout the rest of y’all.

we definitely take advantage of automation for the hue stuff. plant shelf lights come on automatically in the morning with a gledopto controller, under cabinet lighting goes to super dim red at night to act as a nightlight, fish tank lights turn on and off automatically, and the bathroom has a motion sensor to turn the light in for you (which is set to super dim at night then back to more normal levels the rest of the day)

it’s great and was very easy to set up with a couple schedules in the app

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

mediaphage posted:

my ecobee and hue stuff is cool and good sorry bout the rest of y’all.

we definitely take advantage of automation for the hue stuff. plant shelf lights come on automatically in the morning with a gledopto controller, under cabinet lighting goes to super dim red at night to act as a nightlight, fish tank lights turn on and off automatically, and the bathroom has a motion sensor to turn the light in for you (which is set to super dim at night then back to more normal levels the rest of the day)

it’s great and was very easy to set up with a couple schedules in the app

when you actually automate like this, it’s a help and not a hindrance

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just use a light switch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have a mechanical timer switch for the grow lights. that's a form of automation

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

The Management posted:

I just use a light switch

that's absolutely better than "automation" that moves the switch to your phone. it's not better than actual properly implemented automation*

*except when you leave that place and go to a friends house or hotel room or whatever and entirely forget that light doesn't follow presence at appropriate warmth and brightness, and that temperature is a thing you have to might have to think about

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

infernal machines posted:

i have a mechanical timer switch for the grow lights. that's a form of automation

an entirely appropriate and useful one

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i use the ikea iot stuff, also for that one case: plant light timers.

mechanical would do it too but there's some convenience of this synchronizing multiple outlets. i also have one lightbulb connected to it but i never wind up using it in any other way than with the lightswitch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sometimes mechanical timers are audible still which is annoying (which is why i put the shed grow lights in a mechanical timer because i don’t have to hear it)

shitface posted:

that's absolutely better than "automation" that moves the switch to your phone. it's not better than actual properly implemented automation*

*except when you leave that place and go to a friends house or hotel room or whatever and entirely forget that light doesn't follow presence at appropriate warmth and brightness, and that temperature is a thing you have to might have to think about

i think mainly it's only a problem when the only control of any kind is a cell phone. for me all the lights save two are still off and onable by physical switches and of the two one still has a very stable zigbee switch i keep on the shelf

anyway there’s actually lots of good stuff to use out there these days, imo

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 25, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

but also having two of them fighting is a dumb idea that they didn’t plan for, can’t blame them for that.

Sure I can, I should be able to turn one off completely so it doesn't think I want the house to be heated to 50 F

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Sure I can, I should be able to turn one off completely so it doesn't think I want the house to be heated to 50 F

sorry sir you’ll need to buy a second phone

Apr 7, 2003

I'm gonna go fight the thermostat. gently caress you google!!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mediaphage posted:

anyway there’s actually lots of good stuff to use out there these days, imo

not enough tbh, lots of stuff is over complicated to get you to sign into an account for tracking/recurring revenue purposes. my ceiling fan has a really lovely remote but I can control it through Apple home via homebridge so you’d think I could just get a better wireless remote with two dimmers and interface it through HomeKit. but they just don’t exist unless you want something with a screen that can control everything in your house and costs $400

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

My house has two Nest thermostats, one for heating and one for cooling, and their learning poo poo absolutely does not work in that scenario. My heating thermostat keeps trying to reset my poo poo back to 50 F until I turn off learning because that's what it was set at all summer. Good poo poo Google
why do you have the heat turned on at all during the summer? i manually set mine to heat or cold, quite an ask to do two times a year

Apr 7, 2003

butt dickus posted:

why do you have the heat turned on at all during the summer? i manually set mine to heat or cold, quite an ask to do two times a year

You can't just turn the thermostat off so I turn the heat down to 50 F in the summer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

You can't just turn the thermostat off so I turn the heat down to 50 F in the summer

replace them with a couple of cheap dumb thermostats.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

My house has two Nest thermostats

You can't just turn the thermostat off

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9251570

seems like off mode would work fine. if you really needed you can also disable the safety temps

Apr 7, 2003

well, that's not intuitive at all

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

well, that's not intuitive at all

yeah it’s a dumb setup for sure

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mediaphage posted:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9251570

seems like off mode would work fine. if you really needed you can also disable the safety temps

lmao

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

that setup is insane. hire someone to run all the wiring to a common spot and just use one thermostat

Apr 7, 2003

I'm assuming it's that way for a reason, the house is over 150 years old

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

wimp lo thermostat spends all summer training itself wrong

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

i have a nest, it can be set to heat, cool, both or off with a push and a twist. i only ever set mine to heat or cool

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I'm assuming it's that way for a reason, the house is over 150 years old

doubtful, probably the a/c installer was just lazy or assumed the boiler was a 120V system. get all the wiring together, install your smart thermostat, add accessory temperature sensors as desired, done

Apr 7, 2003

sounds like too much work, I think I'll just complain instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

could be your username tbh