Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Also I haven't tested them all but after you wear a suit for a while in spider man 2 they get visual wear and tear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bless is very useful early on in BG3, adding a 1d4 to all your attack rolls makes a huge difference when your entire party is struggling to hit. If you happen to have a Bard then it will also stack with Bardic Inspiration. If you're running with Karlach you can give her Wolfheart Aspect to feed advantage to all your melee characters. That's what I did in my first run and Lae'zel was pretty much the MVP by the time I got out of the first act. Two-handed fighters are godly in 5E.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Arcane Blessing staff from the tower in the Underdark is an early staff that is arguably end game worthy because it makes Bless better, including adding 2d4 for spellcasters to use on their spell attacks. So that's +10% to +40% chance to hit with spells on a buff that last ten rounds.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Oct 23, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It’s much more than a little thing, but BG3 having no trash fights where every encounter is hand designed to be interesting in some way really does a lot to elevate it in spite of the crappy D&D mechanics. I think my ideal game would be the combat mechanics of DOS2 with the writing and characterization of BG3. Some of the twists in these fights are so fun.

In my coop playthrough we’ve mainly dealt with the terrible hit chances using the fairy fire spell (gives you advantage against anything affected) and the “precision strike” thing that’s available to fighters on laezel. pick the battle master subclass and precision strike as one of your moves. it will let you add a large amount of accuracy to your weapon attacks and it’s a big reason she’s started to pretty much carry the group.

edit: Apparently the magic missile spell is also guaranteed to hit so we’ve used that to finish low health enemies a lot.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Oct 23, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Oh, I think you misunderstand: Karlach is the only person pulling her goddamn weight in regards to Actually Hitting Things, probably thanks to exactly those two things. She just turns into a pincushion the instant enemies get to do anything, probably in part because of that second thing.

I can't find it now, but someone posted in the BG3 thread about how the AI prioritises who to shoot at. It might be AC or something? But basically, if someone is getting shot a lot then is there gear, or are there buffs (from others in the party or elixirs you can find/buy/make with alchemy) that you've got that might help? Getting shot or hit doesn't matter as much if you can just tank your way through it and heal up after. Or if you can bring a better healer and make sure they're ready to save her fiery rear end. One of my party was getting shot to poo poo for a while so I made sure to try and buff them whereever possible and then the enemies still spent time shooting them while I basically shrugged it off laughing as the enemy wasted their attacks.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just another plus one to bless. On a d20 single points matter. Minimum five percent Max twenty is no joke. This is also why every point of armor class really matters. And why advantage is huge as well.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Owl Inspector posted:

It’s much more than a little thing, but BG3 having no trash fights where every encounter is hand designed to be interesting in some way really does a lot to elevate it in spite of the crappy D&D mechanics. I think my ideal game would be the combat mechanics of DOS2 with the writing and characterization of BG3. Some of the twists in these fights are so fun.

In my coop playthrough we’ve mainly dealt with the terrible hit chances using the fairy fire spell (gives you advantage against anything affected) and the “precision strike” thing that’s available to fighters on laezel. pick the battle master subclass and precision strike as one of your moves. it will let you add a large amount of accuracy to your weapon attacks and it’s a big reason she’s started to pretty much carry the group.

edit: Apparently the magic missile spell is also guaranteed to hit so we’ve used that to finish low health enemies a lot.

I couldnt disagree more on the combat mechanics of DOS2, ive been playing both a fair bit recently, and BG3 is SO much more interesting with the combat. Movement being seperate from doing things, bonus actions, multiple attacks. Its so much better. Playing DOS2 with my friends, wait (seemingly) ages until its my turn, use my meagre 4 action points moving over to someone to punch. End turn.

BG3 on the other hand, run in, throw a dead goblin at his mate so hard that they both turn into mist, run away cackling.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I made Karlach a paladin. And my main a paladin warlock. I think I have problems.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

DOS2 combat is sublime but it's also a lot harder and more video gamey than BG3. In DOS2 you're expected to do almost everything in your power to eke out an advantage. Blocking the doors with furniture so enemies can't get in, carrying around 6 explosive barrels with you to drop on Turn 0, giving every member of your party Teleport so they can drop the bad guys out-of-bounds, not only is all that allowable, but par for the course. The tactics that completely break the game are even more unintuitive and ridiculous. You can be creative in BG3 but it's hardly as needed, and even really bad situations are usually recoverable. Still fun, but the difficulty slips away from you around Level 5 and doesn't particularly threaten from that point onward.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

By the end of the first act in DOS2 our characters all had a hotbar full of tricks to choose from and we basically never spent a turn without doing something fun and impactful, eventually reaching the point where we almost never used default attacks and the number of choices was almost overwhelming, and the few turns without much action just build up to a better turn next time by letting you bank AP (or delay your turn to a better moment, a surprisingly useful feature). by comparison a bunch of my ranger’s turns in BG3 have been spent doing 1-2 default shots with coinflip accuracy because there’s almost nothing better I can find to do with my action. I have a couple of summoned critters who can also attack for even less than coinflip accuracy, I guess? I have the freshest memories of DOS2 from the last act so it’s probably not the fairest comparison to the first act of BG3, but by level 6 the mechanics have been a pretty enormous step down. But instead the writing and presentation (VA/facial animation/cutscenes) have been vastly better than DOS2, so BG3 really feels like an inversion of that game and I’ve just adjusted to enjoying different things about it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A very cute thing in Forspoken's intro before you even get to Athia - while in NY, Frey's primary method of self defense is pocket sand and throwing bricks. Her signature Athian magic? Earth magic. She's casting her earth spells even before she gets her magic :3:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's like poetry, it rhymes

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The fact that AC: Mirage is a legit stealth game, and not just fight everybody. I still want an AC: Berlin 1925 or Shanghai 1936
Best we've got is a lightly used AC: Paris 1940.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BioEnchanted posted:

A very cute thing in Forspoken's intro before you even get to Athia - while in NY, Frey's primary method of self defense is pocket sand and throwing bricks. Her signature Athian magic? Earth magic. She's casting her earth spells even before she gets her magic :3:

Her entire mission is to get house cats I can appreciate that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shard posted:

Also I haven't tested them all but after you wear a suit for a while in spider man 2 they get visual wear and tear

The one thing it's missing is to take a cue from MGSV, you should eventually get a cloud of flies swarming around you and pedestrians start bending over to dry heave as you pass by, if you go too long without changing or taking a dip in the Hudson

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Baldur's Gate 3 if you're proficient in performance you can play your instrument in town, people will cheer and give you money.

Conversely, if you're not proficient, people will boo at you and hurl insults. I like to end my turns in battle crappily playing a flute just to add to the enemy's humiliation.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's an official plugin for Morrowind that lets you perform at a tavern in much the same way. It's cute.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Push El Burrito posted:

In Baldur's Gate 3 if you're proficient in performance you can play your instrument in town, people will cheer and give you money.

Conversely, if you're not proficient, people will boo at you and hurl insults. I like to end my turns in battle crappily playing a flute just to add to the enemy's humiliation.

I love that there is never a reason not to play your instrument.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

marshmallow creep posted:

I love that there is never a reason not to play your instrument.

I thought the devs fixed the bug causing the party members being readily horny for you? :confused:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you give your entire party music proficiency and different instruments they’ll actually play the full accompaniment to all the songs.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Also other bards and musicians you meet will get annoyed at you when you play near them

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

exquisite tea posted:

If you give your entire party music proficiency and different instruments they’ll actually play the full accompaniment to all the songs.

you can turn your party into a band? game of the millennium

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

OMG that's amazing I had no idea

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you have a tamed cat following you in Minecraft and go to bed, it'll hop on the bed and sleep with you

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it probably took them eight years to develop that functionality and it formed a major version update on its own

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

OMG that's amazing I had no idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJx50ZdWBQs

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

That is unbelievably awesome. The flute and violin trading back and forth is just :discourse:

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Oct 24, 2023

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Can you accompany yourself with multiple instruments?

Like if you get a harp that summons beautiful snakes and maybe a flute that summons gnomes who will fight anything (even snakes) and just kind of want to see what happens can you do that?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are there any sentient instruments that talk by playing themselves that you can encounter?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I had a violin like that once. It got arrested for pizzicatoing in public.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Still playing through Crash Bandicoot 4, another thing I'm really liking is how the game drops in something every so often to incentivizes replaying levels more. It's added a couple characters with different playstyles that have prologues leading in to some of the earlier levels, and eventually introduces a mirrored version of every level along with a variety of changes to the visuals. The latter is especially good because it adds a second set of challenges to win gems for each level, basically making it twice as easy to collect enough to unlock each level's special character skin. Along with the changes to the life system, it's giving me a way more fun time than any of the games in the first trilogy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

For the person in this thread who wanted to see my opinions on Forspoken, I've got the first video up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TZUiRYtQn0

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BioEnchanted posted:

For the person in this thread who wanted to see my opinions on Forspoken, I've got the first video up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TZUiRYtQn0

is there a forums thread for this LP?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I haven't made a thread yet, in a couple of days I have a week off so I'll formalise it then. It's been an exhausting week at work due to flooding calls inundating us because of a storm that hit the UK.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Owl Inspector posted:

Sleep is incredible too, you can clean up multiple end of fight low HP enemies, no save.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SkeletonHero posted:

Can you accompany yourself with multiple instruments?

Like if you get a harp that summons beautiful snakes and maybe a flute that summons gnomes who will fight anything (even snakes) and just kind of want to see what happens can you do that?

MY ENTIRE CIVILIZATION

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A particular subtype of 'little thing' that I love and doesn't really exist anymore are the ways that older games cheated to depict something that should physically happen, but wasn't technically possible. I didn't realize this one until I saw a tweet about it.

https://twitter.com/victorehunter/status/1717079428961083676

And related: I also love that the MGS Collection is a bunch of no-bullshit ports, because those games are full of stuff that's only impressive, interesting and compelling because of the tech it's working at. I normally love HD remasters, but not for Metal Gear.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cleretic posted:

A particular subtype of 'little thing' that I love and doesn't really exist anymore are the ways that older games cheated to depict something that should physically happen, but wasn't technically possible. I didn't realize this one until I saw a tweet about it.

And related: I also love that the MGS Collection is a bunch of no-bullshit ports, because those games are full of stuff that's only impressive, interesting and compelling because of the tech it's working at. I normally love HD remasters, but not for Metal Gear.

There's a load of bullshit in these crappy ports! And anyway, the versions of MGS2 and 3 in it are literal HD Remasters.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

Thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cleretic posted:

Blast Corps truck has multiple textures with different reflections and it changes them when you turn around.

https://i.imgur.com/Q1orSfu.mp4