Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Codependent Poster posted:

I think he's chilled out in recent years but yeah he used to be a diva

I was trying to look up how long he’s been clean and found out he’s also bipolar, which I’m sure exacerbated things during his prime.

He’s also a Trump supporter and a conspiracy nut, so uhhh maybe strike my previous post :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That’s a really loose definition of “all time greats”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was trying to look up how long he’s been clean and found out he’s also bipolar, which I’m sure exacerbated things during his prime.

He’s also a Trump supporter and a conspiracy nut, so uhhh maybe strike my previous post :yikes:

welp

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ruddiger posted:

That’s a really loose definition of “all time greats”

There are about five different versions of the Mount Rushmore of action movies depending on your preferences, but if you want one for 80's/90's Hollywood action movies, he is absolutely in the discussion.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
then there's the ear wax museum if you like steven seagal

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grendels Dad posted:

There are about five different versions of the Mount Rushmore of action movies depending on your preferences, but if you want one for 80's/90's Hollywood action movies, he is absolutely in the discussion.

'80s / '90s Hollywood action star Mount Rushmore basically begins and ends with Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Cruise, Bruce Willis and Jackie Chan.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In terms of Arnold and Sly 80’s/90’s movies, my favorite Arnold movie of that era is The Running Man, and my favorite Stallone movie of that era is Demolition Man.

I shall not be taking further questions at this time. Thank you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk those are pretty great flicks. Might be different if you said like idk the 6th day and judge dredd

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

1995 Dredd certainly isn’t the worst. The set design and costuming is really great. But a PG-13 Judge Dredd movie was doomed from the start. Though ‘95 Dredd has some wonderful quotes/lines.

Karl Urban’s Dredd is the definitive Dredd.

The Sixth Day is hilarious. The first time I ever saw it, I was on the old Route 66 driving to Arizona from Michigan (was in the process of moving to metro Phoenix), and there was a huge dust storm/thunderstorm rolling into the small town I stopped to get gas in, and some random family of like 8 people who owned the gas station invited me to wait it out at their Texas Chainsaw Massacre-lookin’ house down the street.

It was a coin flip as to whether or not they were going to kill me. But instead they fed me dinner and I watched The Sixth Day with their high school age kids on the TV in the living room. I think it was on TBS, so it was edited, but holy crap was it ever bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

'80s / '90s Hollywood action star Mount Rushmore basically begins and ends with Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Cruise, Bruce Willis and Jackie Chan.

00s-Present Cruise has way more of an argument for Action Rushmore than 80s/90s Cruise, that spot could easily go to Lundgren or Van Damme.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Having Schneider as the "comic" relief in 95 Dredd certainly didn't help that film either.

Who could listen to the guy for even a second and think "yes, this is a person I want in my film".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Bloodsport, Universal Soldier, Hard Target and Timecop were bangers. 80’s and 90’s Van Damme was terrific.

And who could forget Sudden Death, in which he stops terrorism by playing goal in an NHL game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swEgflM5Ol4

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gonz posted:

Bloodsport, Universal Soldier, Hard Target and Timecop were bangers. 80’s and 90’s Van Damme was terrific.

And who could forget Sudden Death, in which he stops terrorism by playing goal in an NHL game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swEgflM5Ol4

Sudden Death is indeed great. And speaking of Rob Schneider, so is Knock Off. Really fun setpieces, and Schneider is actually somewhat tolerable. Or at least, there’s enough going on in the movie that he just becomes background noise that can’t really detract from everything else.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

00s-Present Cruise has way more of an argument for Action Rushmore than 80s/90s Cruise, that spot could easily go to Lundgren or Van Damme.

Yeah, Cruise didn’t really become Action God until after M:I 2 came out in 2000. The last 23 years for Tom Cruise has cemented him as one of the best action stars of the era, if not the best of said era. He’s also one of the last true Movie Stars™ left, insofar as his name can drive ticket sales.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Statham just sold a lot of tickets to a shark movie.

There’s a few stars left, Cruise is just the brightest. Dwayne Johnson, Theron, and Keanu are still around.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gonz posted:

Yeah, Cruise didn’t really become Action God until after M:I 2 came out in 2000. The last 23 years for Tom Cruise has cemented him as one of the best action stars of the era, if not the best of said era. He’s also one of the last true Movie Stars™ left, insofar as his name can drive ticket sales.

He certainly did alot of running even in the 80's and 90's but yeah, I remember him more as starring in thrillers and dramas.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

With regards to Theron, Atomic Blonde remains one of the best action movies of the last 20 years, IMO. The unbroken shot fight scene in the apartment building was/is supremely impressive.

Edit:

This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrPDTalA1Lc

Gonz fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 25, 2023

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

He certainly did alot of running even in the 80's and 90's but yeah, I remember him more as starring in thrillers and dramas.

Yep; inbetween Top Gun and Mission Impossible (1986-1996), he did the following:

The Color of Money
Cocktail
Born on the Fourth of July
Rainman
Far and Away
A Few Good Men
The Firm
Interview With The Vampire

And then between Mission Impossible (1996; which had great action in it, but was more of a mystery/thriller than an action movie) and Mission Impossible 2 (2000), he did:

Jerry Maguire
Without Limits
Eyes Wide Shut
Magnolia

Then post 2000, especially after Minority Report in 2002, his action catalog really starts picking up steam.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gonz posted:

Yep; inbetween Top Gun and Mission Impossible (1986-1996), he did the following:

The Color of Money
Cocktail
Rainman
Far and Away
A Few Good Men
The Firm

You missed Days of Thunder, AKA "Top Gun, but NASCAR."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Timby posted:

You missed Days of Thunder, AKA "Top Gun, but NASCAR."

Ah poo poo you’re right!

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Gonz posted:

The Color of Money
Cocktail
Rainman
Far and Away
A Few Good Men
The Firm

You forgot Days of Thunder!

Edit: Oh goddamnit I was beaten while trying to look up quotes from the movie

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Kloaked00 posted:

You forgot Days of Thunder!

Edit: Oh goddamnit I was beaten while trying to look up quotes from the movie

Timby stole your thunder.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’ve just started last man on earth and it’s really loving annoying. Not sure i can continue to be honest

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mission Impossible is not an action movie at all. IIRC there’s a handful of gunshots and one single explosion. It’s a thriller through and through.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Judge Dredd 1995 was sadly rated R. It just sucked and was like a kids movie for some reason

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I stand corrected! I could’ve sworn it was PG-13.

But looking back, yeah, the violence was definitely R-rated. Yet the most gruesome stuff was just off-screen (i.e. the ABC robot ripping Jurgen Prochnow apart).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gonz posted:

I stand corrected! I could’ve sworn it was PG-13.

Same. I think it just had the look and feel of a PG-13 thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

well why not posted:

Mission Impossible is not an action movie at all. IIRC there’s a handful of gunshots and one single explosion. It’s a thriller through and through.
Just the difference between the first and the second movies is insane

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think Collateral is the clearest demarcator of Action Cruise. Minority Report does have a fair amount of action scenes but Collateral I think is the first one where there's a lot of emphasis built up around Cruise doing stunts in the most realistic fashion.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
"Yo homie, is that my briefcase?"

Such a top-notch film moment.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rewatched The Firm for the first time in decades last night and had forgotten that Cruise gets to do his full speed action run in that one. So The Firm is definitely an action movie.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ynohtna posted:

"Yo homie, is that my briefcase?"

Such a top-notch film moment.

lol back when I would pagesnype

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940156&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=59#post510094824

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Lawyers aren't allowed to be action stars, It's against the law! :colbert:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Lawyers aren't allowed to be action stars, It's against the law! :colbert:

Isn't Judge Dredd technically a lawyer, too?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Judge Dredd's treatment of Rico and Joe's relationship was extremely bizarre because those were just fundamental facts of the characters in the comics. Like the entire point of Judge Rico's downfall is that Dredd is such a consummate judge that he would even judge his own brother and the clone baby thing was just a basic fact that everybody knew.

Which is weird because it was clear that somebody on the production side clearly cared about the comic since it has a perfect recreation of Mean Machine, a character that could easily have been half assed.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Which is weird because it was clear that somebody on the production side clearly cared about the comic since it has a perfect recreation of Mean Machine, a character that could easily have been half assed.

Also Hammerstein from ABC Warriors designed by Chris Cunningham of Aphex Twin videos fame

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Well, he was a holy terror during the shoot of Street Fighter, always showing up to the set late, either hung over from partying all night long or loving Kylie Minogue all night long (or sometimes both). There was a lot of cocaine on that set.

Hard not to be the most arrogant man in the world at this point. It keeps coming up that Jada Pinkett and Tupac were close friends and people find it obnoxious, but she was one of the best actresses period at this point, very young, and in love with Tupac. I really can't blame her for bringing that up all the time.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fatherboxx posted:

Also Hammerstein from ABC Warriors designed by Chris Cunningham of Aphex Twin videos fame

CC has been involved in a few good SFX properties, I remember seeing him in a behind the scenes video from Alien 3 working on the sculpts & puppetry bits of the Alien.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gonz posted:

1995 Dredd certainly isn’t the worst. The set design and costuming is really great. But a PG-13 Judge Dredd movie was doomed from the start. Though ‘95 Dredd has some wonderful quotes/lines.

Karl Urban’s Dredd is the definitive Dredd.

Judge Dredd could have easily been great with a PG-13 rating. The problems were a script with a toooooon of exposition that drags the whole movie down, and then Rob loving Schneider as a black hole of comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Van Damme had a way better average than Stallone or Willis. i recently did a Van Dammeathon and went through almost 30 movies, it was great. i tried to do a Stalloneathon after and gave up after like 5, it was like eating a big bowl of sand.