Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Goon Boots posted:

when will creators stop calling explaining a bunch of random poo poo an iceberg
i hate it !!!!!!

The Lettuce Iceberg, Explained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

The Lettuce Iceberg, Explained

The worst lettuce.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Goon Boots posted:

i hate it !!!!!!

When they find an even worse trend to chase.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

You just filled up my queue for the morning, thanks Rhino!

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
A Response to the Rabbit hole of the Lettuce Iceberg Debunking, explained is Garbage And Here's Why is a Timeless Classic (NOT CLICKBAIT)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Goon Boots posted:

i hate it !!!!!!

this is the only iceberg you ever need:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Love it when people discover Harold Shipman, a name that still terrifies English pensioners to this day.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I watched the video about the Doctor Who YouTuber who's accused of* murdering his pregnant girlfriend that was linked here a while back. Jeez, that was a depressing watch. I didn't know that a: the "livestream" is still available b: She commented on it saying that she'd probably be tuning in and c: how many arrogant comments and hideous little details were included in that stream, almost like leaving clues, even down to having a "No Time to Die" poster flick up for a second at a certain point. Just awful. She can't have suspected a single thing.

*legalities obviously seeing as case is in progress

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Goon Boots posted:

i hate it !!!!!!

there's something really perverse about trying to interpret a series's plot elements and themes in that format. like instead of engaging with the content on a serious level, they're engaging with it solely as something to be mined for content

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the algorithim needs content

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It was kinda funny when the lower levels of the iceberg were just increasingly obscure injokes but now they all have to be "disturbing" which killed it.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I guess it was only a matter of time before the SSSniperwolf story crossed paths with Legal Eagle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87SJb4oD5iA

He also recently had a very good video about an awful raid committed by awful law enforcers.(I know that doesnt narrow it down much)

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Greekonomics posted:

I've never watched any of the non-Jon Bois stuff from Secret Base, but there's going to be a miniseries on Shaq vs Kobe that looks interesting:
I didn't know anything about this beforehand but the first episode is out now and I enjoyed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud9FFraGI0s
can't hear Clair de Lune without thinking of Tim Rogers

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DeafNote posted:

I guess it was only a matter of time before the SSSniperwolf story crossed paths with Legal Eagle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87SJb4oD5iA

He also recently had a very good video about an awful raid committed by awful law enforcers.(I know that doesnt narrow it down much)
Lol

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Whirling posted:

there's something really perverse about trying to interpret a series's plot elements and themes in that format. like instead of engaging with the content on a serious level, they're engaging with it solely as something to be mined for content
The tragedy of people taking a joke seriously.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Whirling posted:

Yeah, this is also why I avoid videos with “[movie/tv show] explained!”. Just feels like they’re gonna lore dump to me instead of doing a well thought-out analysis.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The only Icebergs I know of are ones about either increasingly obscure fan theories and/or jokes. Did they go the tierlist route of being the new "hip" video format?

Zedd fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 24, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
was watching one about "disturbing" websites and one of the websites was youfellasleepwatchingadvd.com and another was akinator lol

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Equeen posted:

Yeah, this is also why I avoid videos with “[movie/tv show] explained!”. Just feels like they’re gonna lore dump to me instead of doing a well thought-out analysis.

This is one of my favs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URo66iLNEZw

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Well, that's a name I haven't heard in years

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Happy Landfill posted:

Well, that's a name I haven't heard in years

And you still got it in one

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Clerical Terrors posted:

This video about gender dysphoria, anxiety, incels, and a manga showed up in my reccs and I've decided to share it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAA1XtDOuH8

I watched this and it was cool. Fraught and very personal, but I appreciated the analysis. I do agree that the spoiler warning and timestamp to skip things doesn't make sense when the major revelations come up at the end of the video again. It did make me go read the manga before the spoiler section started and I could see how the alienation of gender plays into it. I'd read more into how the main character felt alienated from their own sexuality, but they do blend together in this case.

Anyway, it's always weird seeing updates on what new bacteria is growing in 4chan and it always ends up more hosed up than you expect.

When you come at the dweeby lawyer youtuber, you better not miss.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

I watched the video about the Doctor Who YouTuber who's accused of* murdering his pregnant girlfriend that was linked here a while back. Jeez, that was a depressing watch. I didn't know that a: the "livestream" is still available b: She commented on it saying that she'd probably be tuning in and c: how many arrogant comments and hideous little details were included in that stream, almost like leaving clues, even down to having a "No Time to Die" poster flick up for a second at a certain point. Just awful. She can't have suspected a single thing.

*legalities obviously seeing as case is in progress

This is not exactly the same thing, but lowtax’s youtube channel is still up and it has an “upcoming” livestream scheduled for April 2020 or whenever he died. If you’re a piece of poo poo without a friend in the world, that stuff just stays there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
does youtube just pocket the money from dead people's youtube accounts or what

Like is totalbiscuit's channel still around and making some amount of money from views, or do they demonetize the channels of dead people?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

YouTube has provisions that allow family members or designated representatives to take custody of accounts when someone dies.

If someone dies and nobody ever takes over, I imagine the automated system just keeps on dumping adsense money into their account. I assume it doesn't officially leave Google's books until a user cashes out the payments so it's probably no skin of their nose if it just sits there forever.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

at the time of my demise, ownership of my account will pass to my next of kin and they will post in my stead

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Skippy McPants posted:

YouTube has provisions that allow family members or designated representatives to take custody of accounts when someone dies.

If someone dies and nobody ever takes over, I imagine the automated system just keeps on dumping adsense money into their account. I assume it doesn't officially leave Google's books until a user cashes out the payments so it's probably no skin of their nose if it just sits there forever.

The Youtube partner rules are a bit vague on the matter. "If a channel is inactive and has not uploaded or posted Community posts for 6 months or more, YouTube reserves the right to remove its monetization." So they can stop the monetization, but it's not guaranteed.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

does youtube just pocket the money from dead people's youtube accounts or what

Like is totalbiscuit's channel still around and making some amount of money from views, or do they demonetize the channels of dead people?

TB's channel is still around yes, although who knows if it's still monetized or whatever. Looking on SocialBlade (as much as that's not worth too much nowadays) his channel still gets a few thousand views a day even though it hasn't been active for so long. It also seems like his wife Genna was at one point considering removing his content from the net because A.I. twats were using his videos to train voices, although she decided against it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

TB's channel is still around yes, although who knows if it's still monetized or whatever. Looking on SocialBlade (as much as that's not worth too much nowadays) his channel still gets a few thousand views a day even though it hasn't been active for so long. It also seems like his wife Genna was at one point considering removing his content from the net because A.I. twats were using his videos to train voices, although she decided against it.

She should. Dude's rotting in hell where he belongs, no one needs to remember him.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 25, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man, so much is happening at the Urban Rescue Ranch. it's quickly becoming one of my favorite channels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm6pbjwRyw4

go get'er, Master Oogway! you'll figure it out eventually!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Arivia posted:

She should. Dude's rotting in hell where he belongs, no one needs to remember him.

what's wrong with total biscuit?

(should mention i only saw a few vids of his throughout the years)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

what's wrong with total biscuit?

(should mention i only saw a few vids of his throughout the years)

dude sent me death threats and sicced his fans on me because i said there shouldn't be transphobia in a video game (pillars of eternity) at the height of gamergate. had people trying to get into my accounts for a year because of that poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Gamer gate adjacent, and had a heated gamer moment where he tweeted at someone wishing they die of cancer, arguably resulting in a reversal of fortune

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I brought up the wishing cancerous death on someone on here once and he returned to SA to flip out at me, I believe it was the last post he ever made, too, because he was otherwise very busy dying of cancer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Totalairbiscuit imo

Veotax
May 16, 2006

But his reviews were so good! Who doesn't love spending the first half looking in the options menu!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Veotax posted:

But his reviews were so good! Who doesn't love spending the first half looking in the options menu!

"Terrible game on all fronts but it can run at a full 60 FPS so it's good."

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arivia posted:

dude sent me death threats and sicced his fans on me because i said there shouldn't be transphobia in a video game (pillars of eternity) at the height of gamergate. had people trying to get into my accounts for a year because of that poo poo.

Captain Invictus posted:

I brought up the wishing cancerous death on someone on here once and he returned to SA to flip out at me, I believe it was the last post he ever made, too, because he was otherwise very busy dying of cancer

real shame this superstar is not with us anymore

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Goon Boots posted:

at the time of my demise, ownership of my account will pass to my next of kin and they will post in my stead

"steadposting" is going to be the real fad of the

/looks at goons

2020s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arivia posted:

I don't remember transphobia in Pillars of Eternity.