Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

coelomate posted:

uh oh the World Eaters box has burrowed into my mind. My search history is now full of "Angron return probability" and "why are eightbound good" and poo poo.

It's looking really enticing for me too, hard to talk myself out of grabbing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is 2000 points of space marines. It's a metal baking tray that cost $5 and fits in a big plastic box that cost $7. There were different heights of boxes so I got an 18" and an 8". These redemptors fit very nicely in the smaller one. I think the magnets under the bases were $8 total for more than this army.

Is that an 8 dreadnought Space Wolves army? Does that play well?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

coelomate posted:

uh oh the World Eaters box has burrowed into my mind. My search history is now full of "Angron return probability" and "why are eightbound good" and poo poo.

The Butcher's Nails dig deep.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Athas posted:

Is that an 8 dreadnought Space Wolves army? Does that play well?

Yes and I haven't had the time to try it out, it's been a busy few weeks for me

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
My wife is building a Harlequin army, and I am moderately envious of her creativity.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So I am looking at this thread because I have a serious case of :brainworms:

Took a look at the guard combat patrol box, which at the start seems reasonably priced.

And then I made the mistake of building out a 1000 point list, which looks a lot less reasonably priced at like $500 or something.

And just using the combat patrol box building it out to something like

quote:

CHARACTER

Platoon Command Squad (75pts)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Grand Strategist
• 4x Veteran Guardsman
• 4x Close Combat Weapon
• 4x Laspistol
• 4x Lasgun

BATTLELINE

Infantry Squad (120pts)
• 1x Sergeants, 14 Guardsmen and 2 Heavy Weapons Team
• 4x Laspistol
• 18x Close Combat Weapon
• 14x Lasgun
• 2x Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad (120pts)
• 4x Laspistol
• 14x Lasgun
• 2x Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad (120pts)
• 4x Laspistol
• 14x Lasgun
• 2x Heavy Bolter

OTHER DATASHEETS

Field Ordnance Battery (120pts)
• 2x Ordnance Teams
• 1x Battery Close Combat Weapons
• 1x Lasgun
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Bombast Field Gun

Field Ordnance Battery (120pts)
• 2x Ordnance Teams
• 1x Battery Close Combat Weapons
• 1x Lasgun
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Bombast Field Gun

Ratling Snipers (60pts)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Sniper Rifle

Basilisk (135pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Earthshaker Cannon
• 1x Heavy Bolter

Scout Sentinels (60pts)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Militarum Multi-laser

Scout Sentinels (60pts)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
All of the weapon choices are place holder, but you get the idea I think? I mean it's two combat patrol boxes and then some extras to fill out the rest.

But subjecting myself, and everyone else that I would play with to that many miniatures seems insane.

Why not just make a more tanky army?

quote:

BATTLELINE

Cadian Shock Troops (60pts)
• 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant and 9 Shock Troopers
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Chainsword
• 8x Lasgun
• 9x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Plasma Gun

Cadian Shock Troops (60pts)
• 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant and 9 Shock Troopers
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Chainsword
• 8x Lasgun
• 9x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Plasma Gun

CHARACTER

Lord Solar Leontus (125pts)
• 1x Conquest
• 1x Konstrain's Hooves
• 1x Sol's Righteous Gaze
• 1x Warlord

OTHER DATASHEETS

Basilisk (135pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Earthshaker Cannon
• 1x Heavy Bolter

Leman Russ Battle Tank (180pts)
• 1x Leman Russ Battle Cannon
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Lascannon

Leman Russ Battle Tank (180pts)
• 1x Leman Russ Battle Cannon
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Lascannon

Leman Russ Demolisher (200pts)
• 1x Demolisher Battle Cannon
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Lascannon

Scout Sentinels (60pts)
• 1x Close Combat Weapon

Of course I'm being stupid here by insisting on three tanks, but hey I'm trying to justify my fancy names HQ here or something.

Anyway, I just have to get this all out of my head. This poo poo is too expensive, too much work, I'll probably never go through with it. Because looking over the rules it seems like everything got compressed to a model is just a model. A tank can be substituted for any other big boy model with big stats and there isn't anything all that tanky about it.

And hell maybe I'd prefer to just paint a bunch of chaos marine in bright red World Eaters color scheme and just play them like a regular chaos legion instead.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Axetrain posted:

The Blood Angels specific detachment rules are somewhat underwhelming so most lists that want to be competitive just use the general purpose space marine gladius detachment rules atm. I personally speculate that this is going to stay this way until the 10th edition update gives us a new Blood Angel codex and updated units. That being said they are still fun to play and the new assault intercessors with jump packs + smash captain are pretty great and very on brand for Blood Angels. Sanguinary Guard are overcosted but old school Death Company are fearsome (not the death company intercessors) and they still get access to all of the good Space Marine units.

This is quite helpful, thank you very much!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

But subjecting myself, and everyone else that I would play with to that many miniatures seems insane.

More infantry.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

Took a look at the guard combat patrol box, which at the start seems reasonably priced.

And then I made the mistake of building out a 1000 point list, which looks a lot less reasonably priced at like $500 or something.

The two solutions I worked through were 1) Play with friends/people who are chill and will let you proxy much, much cheaper things (as a stupidly poor kid growing up I used cut up Styrofoam blocks and cheap rear end paints to make an Ork army) or 2) Find a friend with a resin printer.

I then eventually became that friend with the printer but whatever.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

All of the weapon choices are place holder, but you get the idea I think? I mean it's two combat patrol boxes and then some extras to fill out the rest.

Why not just make a more tanky army?

Of course I'm being stupid here by insisting on three tanks, but hey I'm trying to justify my fancy names HQ here or something.

Anyway, I just have to get this all out of my head. This poo poo is too expensive, too much work, I'll probably never go through with it. Because looking over the rules it seems like everything got compressed to a model is just a model. A tank can be substituted for any other big boy model with big stats and there isn't anything all that tanky about it.

And hell maybe I'd prefer to just paint a bunch of chaos marine in bright red World Eaters color scheme and just play them like a regular chaos legion instead.

Oh hey, you're me. I bought a combat patrol and then decided to build it to 1000pts. My solution was to go with a fluffy mechanized guard. It certainly lacks competitive edge, but is going to be fun. I'm only using the infantry that came in the combat patrol, so that keeps painting reasonable. I've gotten very fast at assembling the chimera. I'd recommend you consider taking a Rogal Dorn. They are very good, and cost a lot of points so you're getting great value for your money there by having to fill out the army a bit less.

It sounds like you are coming to this edition from 3rd edition, when we had facings and those super exciting glance/pen charts. That was my experience, but playing the game tanks feel like tanks. On a technical level a lasgun could kill a Land Raider now, which seems wrong, but it would take so much rolling as to not practically happen. A few hits from a lascannon are going to be deadly, but you won't get those lucky turn one front kills anymore. Honestly, I miss the fun wacky nature of the old system, but tanks are a much more reliable investment of points for the guard now. I was skeptical, but they feel right.

I think the only thing to watch out for is building an army that doesn't excite you, if you go with what excites you the painting and rest will work itself out imo. I don't even think that one list is that many models for guard, I've seen way crazier lists.

edit: oh I thought you already had a combat patrol.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 24, 2023

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Super Waffle posted:

Thinking about adding a dreadblade Moirax to my CSM list. 10 points cheaper than a Forgefiend, but no Dark Pacts. I have yet to actually play a game of 10th so this is all theorycrafting, but does this make sense?

Dark pact is way better than ten points. Forgefiends are really, really good

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

But is it better than a big stompy robit with a conversion beamer?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

If you're going Guard, get the Cadia Stands box instead of the Combat Patrol. Same minis and it's cheaper since it's last edition and people are dumping it. I might get a second one myself, actually.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Super Waffle posted:

But is it better than a big stompy robit with a conversion beamer?

Conversion beamers are the best of the retro weapons imho

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I noticed that World Eaters have Forgefiends for 170 points instead of 180, and then I realized trading dark pacts for a 10 point discount and WE charge-and-close-combat stuff is... probably a bad trade!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Depending on whether you're playing Custodes or Stealer Cult that box could differ wildly in size.

Unfortunately I have:

Necron
Sisters
Grey Knights
Votann
Ultramarines

+a few smaller random amount of things

Basically to hold all of this in one box, somehow. I'm thinking my necrons I'll have to do some multi tier storage. I have more I haven't assembled so it'd need more room than this

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Improbable Lobster posted:

Conversion beamers are the best of the retro weapons imho

Moirax is also 2 inches faster and an OC of 8 vs 3. Invuln save is only against ranged and a worse leadership score, however. Run with a claw w/rad cleanser for infantry and conversion beamer or graviton pulsar to take out tough stuff and vehicles, and this guy could run up the field, grab an objective and make it a fort.

Also, big medium stompy robit

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I just moved so I haven't had much time to paint but now that I'm settled in it's back to it. Here's my Hive Tyrant.

I think I might do the Deathleaper in a different scheme than the rest of my army and try something darker and stealthier looking.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Lostconfused posted:

for any other big boy model with big stats and there isn't anything all that tanky about it.

Check out the new holiday box FYI - looks to be around a 30 percent discount for two dorns, two infantry squads, and a command squad.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

It sounds like you are coming to this edition from 3rd edition, when we had facings and those super exciting glance/pen charts.
Yeah, last time I played was when my mother drove me down to scarborough town center (or wherever that games workshop store was) on sunday. None of the super weird rules made sense back then, i just wanted to play with all the cool looking miniature soldiers and tanks.

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Check out the new holiday box FYI - looks to be around a 30 percent discount for two dorns, two infantry squads, and a command squad.
Yeah I took a look and if you combine it with a combat patrol box you get 1000 points exactly, after you convert the sentinel to a scout variant.

I thought people were going to talk me out of it, but you're all enablers here.

Anyway, I haven't even decided on a color scheme yet, and I need to clear up a work area for painting.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just a WIP, haven't painted an ultramarine in forever, this guy looked cool and unfortunately is too tall for the boxes I put him in

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just a WIP, haven't painted an ultramarine in forever, this guy looked cool and unfortunately is too tall for the boxes I put him in

Looks great so far!

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Lostconfused posted:

Anyway, I just have to get this all out of my head. This poo poo is too expensive, too much work, I'll probably never go through with it.

The best way to jump on board without having to sell organs is either the aforementioned 3d print route, or to grab someone else's terribly painted second hand army off eBay along with a bottle of whatever plastic friendly paint stripper is available in your part of the world.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The best way to jump on board without having to sell organs is either the aforementioned 3d print route, or to grab someone else's terribly painted second hand army off eBay along with a bottle of whatever plastic friendly paint stripper is available in your part of the world.

tbh I remember ebay deals being easier to score a decade ago. Maybe the surge inpopularity combined with so much being out of stock at GW means there are more bidders? But even the janky old collections often go for a hefty multiple of the current MSRP.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Athas posted:

My wife is building a Harlequin army, and I am moderately envious of her creativity.

These are rad as hell. I love the basing.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

What’s a pin vice, and which one should I get for drilling minis? I do love putting paperclips into my guys to make sure they don’t fall apart but it hurts my hands and it sounds like a pin vice might help. Also any recommends for a mini friendly electric drill? Terrified to try this one since I’ll probably drill into my hand with it.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

a fatguy baldspot posted:

What’s a pin vice, and which one should I get for drilling minis?

A Pin Vice is pretty much a regular screwdriver, but using drill bits instead. So it let's you go slow and careful while drilling holes into soft materials.

Pretty much any brand will work, but you want appropriately tiny drill bits to go with.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

a fatguy baldspot posted:

What’s a pin vice, and which one should I get for drilling minis? I do love putting paperclips into my guys to make sure they don’t fall apart but it hurts my hands and it sounds like a pin vice might help. Also any recommends for a mini friendly electric drill? Terrified to try this one since I’ll probably drill into my hand with it.

You can just search amazon for "pin vise" and you'll find them, or every miniature/gaming store in existence probably has a few hanging on their racks for like $20. Basically tiny little hand drills with a rotating cap on the end that sticks on your palm to allow you to press it in. Unless you have much, much greater control than I do I would very seriously NOT recommend a powered drill, even a mini one. They're just not built for this scale and will probably end up blowing holes through your minis or tearing up the sides as they skip along.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 25, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

You can just search amazon for "pin vise" and you'll find them, or every miniature/gaming store in existence probably has a few hanging on their racks for like $20. Basically tiny little hand drills with a rotating cap on the end that sticks on your palm to allow you to press it in. Unless you have much, much greater control than I do I would very seriously NOT recommend a powered drill, even a mini one. They're just not built for this scale and will probably end up blowing holes through your minis or tearing up the sides as they skip along.

"Wowstick" is pretty good unless i guess you shake a lot

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

jadebullet posted:

the patterns on the vehicles make me remember I suck at painting. They rock

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Careful with the pin vices on Amazon; a lot of the cheap ones come with bits that are flat on the tip and are basically useless for actually *drilling.* I got one a while back that has a nice handle but ended up having to buy a full new set of bits from Army Painter.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Army Painter pin vice is pretty solid. I still use an old Citadel one that has pretty comfortable grip instead of just being a chunk of metal.
It does squeak a lot though.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

jadebullet posted:

The bases are just Valhallan Blizzard followed by a liberal application of glitter glue and some transparent crystals from Green Stuff World. I spend way more time on my forest-themed grimdark bases for my Custodes (complete with plastic skulls and cork rocks), but they end up looking much worse than her Harlequins. She also managed to convert a The Masque model (normally a Slaanesh daemon) to a Solitaire, while I'm proud when I can figure out how to make my dudes point their weapons forwards.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I did end up ordering a combat patrol box yesterday because it looked like a local shop was selling it at 20% less than MSRP.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

EdsTeioh posted:

Careful with the pin vices on Amazon; a lot of the cheap ones come with bits that are flat on the tip and are basically useless for actually *drilling.* I got one a while back that has a nice handle but ended up having to buy a full new set of bits from Army Painter.

To add, many bits on aliexpress are like this (flat) as well. To get around this flaw, use a knife tip to make a central point so you can keep your bit steady. I literally just stick the tip of the blade in and spin it a little bit, it works like a charm.

The pin vice itself that I got off Aliexpress however for $4 each are amazing though.

coelomate posted:

tbh I remember ebay deals being easier to score a decade ago. Maybe the surge inpopularity combined with so much being out of stock at GW means there are more bidders? But even the janky old collections often go for a hefty multiple of the current MSRP.

More like ebay "deals"
The prices are terrible usually.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

coelomate posted:

Yeah, I've notived a lot of secondhand hams are snatched up either much quicker than they used to be or for more money

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah, last time I played was when my mother drove me down to scarborough town center (or wherever that games workshop store was) on sunday. None of the super weird rules made sense back then, i just wanted to play with all the cool looking miniature soldiers and tanks.

Yeah I took a look and if you combine it with a combat patrol box you get 1000 points exactly, after you convert the sentinel to a scout variant.

I thought people were going to talk me out of it, but you're all enablers here.

Anyway, I haven't even decided on a color scheme yet, and I need to clear up a work area for painting.

Do you still live / work in the Toronto area? If so, we have a group that hangs out twice a month to roll dice, it's extremely welcoming to newbies as well.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Do you still live / work in the Toronto area? If so, we have a group that hangs out twice a month to roll dice, it's extremely welcoming to newbies as well.

I'm in the GTA, Richmond Hill.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

The Demilich posted:

To add, many bits on aliexpress are like this (flat) as well. To get around this flaw, use a knife tip to make a central point so you can keep your bit steady. I literally just stick the tip of the blade in and spin it a little bit, it works like a charm.

The pin vice itself that I got off Aliexpress however for $4 each are amazing though.

More like ebay "deals"
The prices are terrible usually.

Oh yeah, totally; my cheap pinvice has an amazing handle but those bits loving suck. Even doing the knife thing is hard if you're trying to be super precise; I still can't line up bolter barrels correctly doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Lostconfused posted:

I'm in the GTA, Richmond Hill.

Ah, I mean you're more than welcome, but we meet at like the Lakeshore and DVP twice a month.