Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Darchangel posted:

No, we are a revenue enabling department. Just see how far you get without us,

The CIO and CFO were able to get entirely out the door before that outsourcing deal caused massive overhead related layoffs, so it was a great idea as far as they're concerned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
And the cycle begins anew

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I supposedly have a job offer coming in tomorrow, seemed like a weird hybrid of IT and biomedical. But I’d be on the clock while driving and that sounded pretty nice

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

chin up everything sucks posted:

Just took a desktop support job myself, after putting months of time and effort into getting my cybersecurity certifications. Why does IT go through so many "lots of jobs/no jobs" cycles? Is it just because it's one of the first departments to get cut when a company isn't doing well?
The UK seems desperate for security people right now. I've given up applying for stuff because so many recruiters come to me daily.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

klosterdev posted:

"IT is not a revenue generating department"

Okay mister personal assistant to the CEO. How many sales have you personally made in the past 12 months. Zero? It seems you aren't generating any revenue, how about we eliminate your position?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A Frosty Witch posted:

:yotj:

My unemployment dried up a month ago so looks like Target has a new junior member to stock shelves.

Thus ends the saga of larchesdanrew.

It's been wild y'all :unsmith:

Also this was last page but it's not the end there are still ways to go, just keep trying!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Check out this fire hazard I spotted the other day
I can only assume the floor heater's cord is snaking up under the desk and plugged into the top heater in some weird daisychain configuration, and the angle of the photograph just obscures it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Not really a :yotj:, but still fun. Had a technical interview for a potential contracting side gig. "strongly recommend" was used and said I undersold myself on the skills assessment. That made me feel good, because the assessment triggered the gently caress out of my imposter syndrome.

90 min scheduled call, talked for over 2 hours. Really enjoyable to nerd out and swap stories with a fellow IT old.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Check out this fire hazard I spotted the other day

I like how the second cable in the power strip is getting pulled out. Sure, you can only see the ground prong, but that's still Not Good.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anybody know anything about analysing the performance of websites? We have an issue with a group of three websites that intermittently slow to a crawl but only when accessed from a specific network. Ideally I'd like to deploy something onto a few client devices (it can be a browser extension because these sites are fairly heavily used) that can more or less do what the Chrome dev tools network tab does, but aggregate that data to a central location as well as giving me details like the client IP address and the IP address that was resolved by DNS for the site assets in question, as well as not needing user interaction above the fact that they've visited the sites that are having problems. I've seen website performance monitoring services but they all seem to hit the sites in question from globally distributed locations which is great if you're running a website, but less useful for diagnosing a suspected network issue.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Thanks Ants posted:

Does anybody know anything about analysing the performance of websites? We have an issue with a group of three websites that intermittently slow to a crawl but only when accessed from a specific network. Ideally I'd like to deploy something onto a few client devices (it can be a browser extension because these sites are fairly heavily used) that can more or less do what the Chrome dev tools network tab does, but aggregate that data to a central location as well as giving me details like the client IP address and the IP address that was resolved by DNS for the site assets in question, as well as not needing user interaction above the fact that they've visited the sites that are having problems. I've seen website performance monitoring services but they all seem to hit the sites in question from globally distributed locations which is great if you're running a website, but less useful for diagnosing a suspected network issue.

Sounds like a digital experience monitoring tool might what you’re looking for. I’m familiar with various vendor solutions like Cisco’s thousand eyes, Zscaler’s ZDX, or Palo’s ADEM but not sure what sort of standalone tooling exists out there.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

thousand eyes is what we use

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Dynatrace or app dynamics or app insights if it’s on azure. I would not recommend anything from Cisco personally

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Dynatrace or app dynamics or app insights if it’s on azure. I would not recommend anything from Cisco personally

those are all tools you would use if you were the one publishing the app/website which I don't think is what thants is doing

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Just living up to my username

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Anything to be said for throwing up a quick VM on the same network segment as the webserver and just running Wireshark in promiscuous mode?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That will be difficult to get useful data from if the site uses https, which it should.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At this point I'd just be looking for lower level stuff like retransmissions or malformed packets TBH. HTTPS is another thing to worry about after going "are requests/responses even getting here/back?".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That could work but it would be a lot of data to process, and if there is an option to farm that out to another service in exchange for cash then I'd take it. Some good ideas so far though and I'll look into them some more.

For a bit of backstory, this isn't a website that this company runs, it's a site run for them by their parent company but that parent is based in another country and taking a "not our problem, must be your end" approach to this, and won't even pull basic utilisation metrics from the host, so we're trying to go it alone.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Just got a call that a potential job wants to fly me out to Portland for a second interview.

That's probably a good sign, right? :ohdear:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A Frosty Witch posted:

Just got a call that a potential job wants to fly me out to Portland for a second interview.

That's a very good sign, yes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh hell yeah that's a good sign. Good luck!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The dream of employment is alive in Portland

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

A Frosty Witch posted:

:yotj:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

A Frosty Witch posted:

That's great!

Mr only interaction with recruiters is annoyance, thankfully. There's one in my messages right now who claims they have great local jobs. But it's extremely obvious from the phone number and bad grammar, that this is in fact, an American using Google Translate, for unknown reasons.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

A Frosty Witch posted:

Powell’s books, voodoo donuts and a new job is a hell of a flying visit.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Powell’s books, voodoo donuts and a new job is a hell of a flying visit.

I've been looking to make the move for a long time. My closest friend and the rest of my social circle lives up there so I visit as much as I can and I love love love it.

This particular job is absolutely perfect for me and my skillset. The interview committee seemed to really like me and the executive assistant that called to coordinate the date was a bit flustered and apologized saying they had literally never flown someone in from out of state for an interview so she's not sure of the process.

I'm taking that as a sign that they are heavily considering me. Fingers crossed. :ohdear:

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I mean Denver has a voodoo donuts also. But critically apparently no job interview. Good luck!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

A Frosty Witch posted:

The interview committee seemed to really like me and the executive assistant that called to coordinate the date was a bit flustered and apologized saying they had literally never flown someone in from out of state for an interview so she's not sure of the process.

They're either lying to butter you up for the move or telling the truth. Both of which are probably good signs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurieg posted:

They're either lying to butter you up for the move or telling the truth. Both of which are probably good signs.

Yeah, either they want to make you feel special, so you take the job... or they want to make you feel special so you take the job.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Best of luck, Witch!!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, either they want to make you feel special, so you take the job... or they want to make you feel special so you take the job.

I hope it's the latter :allears:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

A Frosty Witch posted:

hell yes girl. wishing you all the best, i hope you kill this interview and thrive in portland

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

VooDoo donuts peaked in 2002 and its been all down hill since.

The real donut junkies go to Blue Star. (Note its been years since Ive been to Portland but I have fond memories of biking around there in my misspent youth).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Am I unfairly cynical about ~*AI*~? I was watching this and it just seems like a system to pad emails out by including things that the person you're messaging already knows, because they wrote the message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxR4JZ-2oiU

That email is just word salad, it doesn't add any value at all. Maybe the whole thing is aimed at CEOs who want to be able to say they led an AI strategy, and evaluating how useful it might be is to miss the point. The meeting example they're using is two minutes long and this time-saving AI thing is pulling out thirteen key words and four questions which seems like it would get overwhelming if you met for 30 minutes, and provides nothing over someone making notes as they go.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 1, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Am I unfairly cynical about ~*AI*~? I was watching this and it just seems like a system to pad emails out by including things that the person you're messaging already knows, because they wrote the message.

That email is just word salad, it doesn't add any value at all. Maybe the whole thing is aimed at CEOs who want to be able to say they led an AI strategy, and evaluating how useful it might be is to miss the point. The meeting example they're using is two minutes long and this time-saving AI thing is pulling out thirteen key words and four questions which seems like it would get overwhelming if you met for 30 minutes, and provides nothing over someone making notes as they go.

A non negligible amount of business runs on appearances, form and bureaucracy. Taking five pages to say nothing is an asset, especially in public sector.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Thanks Ants posted:

Am I unfairly cynical about ~*AI*~?

I doubt it. I've repeatedly called it AutoCorrect Writ Large, because that's all it really is. It's text prediction based on what other text looks like.

It's not "hallucinating", because that implies it has senses to be fooled. It's just constructing plausible sentences.

There is a place for expert systems, tools designed explicitly for a task like analyzing code or rapidly prototype novel drug combos. But these Bayesian word salad-spinners ain't that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

Am I unfairly cynical about ~*AI*~?
Go on Twitter. Find some accounts talking about it.
Head back a year or two, see what they were saying about NFTs.
Head back a couple more, see what they were saying about Bitcoin.
Once you've done this, you'll have your answer.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Thanks Ants posted:

The purpose of repeating stuff that was in the message you're replying to is that it signals to the recipient that you actually read their message and are interested in what they're saying, rather than blowing them off with a form response.

But it will lose that effect pretty quickly once ai form responses that mimic it become commonplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

There is a place for expert systems, tools designed explicitly for a task like analyzing code or rapidly prototype novel drug combos. But these Bayesian word salad-spinners ain't that.

LLMs were brought up in our company a few months ago, and one of my senior co-workers said he used it to explain a piece of code to him. This is such a bad idea that I had a million things to say about it uit, but I was unable to accurately convey my :stare: into words.