Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Kyhe posted:

So Nemesis was made with the expectation that they will get at least one more movie. However there are two problems with that: ST X didn't start as TNG movie, and someone saw that rough cut and still thought it would be a hit.

What? Yes, it absolutely did.

If you're thinking of Star Trek: The Beginning, by Berman and Erik Jendresen, which would have covered the buildup to the Romulan War, that came up in 2005, following the cancellation of Enterprise. (The script was also so bad that it resulted in Berman being removed from his position as god king of Trek.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
For some reason seeing the TNG movies referred to as ST# really weirds me out, it seems quite rare.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boxturret posted:

For some reason seeing the TNG movies referred to as ST# really weirds me out, it seems quite rare.

Beyond is ST13.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Boxturret posted:

I've seen it a couple of times and I'm trying to think of the larger context, but I think it's usually when discussing like sets of movies. Definitely feels weird to me as well because I don't remember any marketing for Generations or later that called them "Star Trek VII" or "Star Trek VIII" etc.

I'm watching Search for Spock tonight. It's $0.20 cheaper to rent on Amazon than TMP! Savings.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Timby posted:

What? Yes, it absolutely did.

If you're thinking of Star Trek: The Beginning, by Berman and Erik Jendresen, which would have covered the buildup to the Romulan War, that came up in 2005, following the cancellation of Enterprise. (The script was also so bad that it resulted in Berman being removed from his position as god king of Trek.)

Probably, I am referring to Scott Bakula once saying in interview that he was expecting an ENT movie to start shoot in near future, and then the next thing we got was Nemesis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Der Kyhe posted:

Probably, I am referring to Scott Bakula once saying in interview that he was expecting an ENT movie to start shoot in near future, and then the next thing we got was Nemesis.

Your timeline is probably off, since Nemesis began filming literally two months after Enterprise's first season premiered, and development started two years before that (with Spiner making the demand, a few days after Insurrection premiered, that he'd only do a fourth TNG movie if he had the same level of creative control that Stewart had had on Insurrection).

Bakula began campaigning for an Enterprise movie once it dodged cancellation after season 3 by the skin of its teeth (and it was made clear, in no uncertain terms, to the cast and crew that the fourth season was going to be the last), but that was in 2004 and 2005, two to three years after Nemesis bombed in theaters.

Timby fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 25, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mllaneza posted:

I'd consider rewatching S1 and S3 of Picard with someone who hadn't seen them, maaaaaaaaaaybe S2 if they're big Borg Queen fans. Both seasons have some very good stuff in them, it's just that in S1 all those cool plot threads go nowhere and it ends badly, and in S3 the good stuff is connected by some abysmally stupid parts.

I legitimately don't see myself ever going back and watching any of Picard's 30 episodes again at all. When it looked like Season 3 had turned the corner on the show, I started watching it with a buddy and we went on the journey together of seeing it slowly slide off the quality cliff, do the Wile E. Coyote bit where he hovers there in place for a second and tries not to look down at the open air beneath him, and then just plummet like a stone into a depth of insulting poo poo I don't think I've ever seen in a Trek show before and it turned into a comedy roast by the time we got to eps 8, 9 and 10.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

I legitimately don't see myself ever going back and watching any of Picard's 30 episodes again at all. When it looked like Season 3 had turned the corner on the show, I started watching it with a buddy and we went on the journey together of seeing it slowly slide off the quality cliff, do the Wile E. Coyote bit where he hovers there in place for a second and tries not to look down at the open air beneath him, and then just plummet like a stone into a depth of insulting poo poo I don't think I've ever seen in a Trek show before and it turned into a comedy roast by the time we got to eps 8, 9 and 10.

Picard in its entirety, along with Nemesis, and probably about half of both Voyager and Enterprise and 95 percent of Discovery, is Trek that I'm perfectly comfortable never watching again.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nemesis just failed to draw people in. In the (packed) theater where I watched it, someone loudly made a joke about car insurance after the ramming scene and the whole theater laughed.

These few sentences caught my eye when I was doubling check the plot summary on memory alpha.

quote:

On the Scimitar, Picard heads toward the bridge, shooting any Reman he comes across. Upon reaching the bridge, Picard destroys the door and begins firing at any and all Remans on the bridge. One Reman gets close to him; he beats the Reman with his phaser rifle,

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Seemlar posted:

Berman vetoed them having an exchange between Picard and Worf talking about the loss of his wife because that would confuse audiences, so there being any mention of the war at all was a concession

What is it about genre fiction that turns people into drooling idiots about basic storytelling conventions? Worf talking about something that happened in his recent past isn't going to confuse the audience, they would be learning about along with Picard... unless Berman intended for it to be a lovely toss-off one-liner like the explanation of how he showed up on the Enterprise in the first place.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So with that I assume the logic was that it would be extraneous information that he thought the audience being familiar with Wolf by the previous films, might think needs following up, or show in any sort of character development he has in this film -lol- then it's just not making it feel like a lose plot thread.

And honestly there's sorta a point to that. That a major life thing for wolf and in such a slow film you would think that other characters would you know check in on him, or something. Bring it up in conversation again? I dunno. It's not exactly the type of film where there's so much happening that it wouldn't be brought up again.

While most of Berman's decisions were horrible, I sorta get that. Also I can see Wolf just not bring it up.

But yeah Wolf bring it up shows character growth, and would of been a good scene. It was still the wrong decision.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dr_rat posted:

So with that I assume the logic was that it would be extraneous information that he thought the audience being familiar with Wolf by the previous films, might think needs following up, or show in any sort of character development he has in this film -lol- then it's just not making it feel like a lose plot thread.

And honestly there's sorta a point to that. That a major life thing for wolf and in such a slow film you would think that other characters would you know check in on him, or something. Bring it up in conversation again? I dunno. It's not exactly the type of film where there's so much happening that it wouldn't be brought up again.

While most of Berman's decisions were horrible, I sorta get that. Also I can see Wolf just not bring it up.

But yeah Wolf bring it up shows character growth, and would of been a good scene. It was still the wrong decision.

Replacing Worf with a Wolf would spice Insurrection up, you're right.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Nemesis just failed to draw people in. In the (packed) theater where I watched it, someone loudly made a joke about car insurance after the ramming scene and the whole theater laughed.

These few sentences caught my eye when I was doubling check the plot summary on memory alpha.

Afterwards, despite the urgency of the situation, Captain Picard bursts into the Scimitar's Reman Daycare Center and just unloads on the helpless Reman women and children

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

davidspackage posted:

Afterwards, despite the urgency of the situation, Captain Picard bursts into the Scimitar's Reman Daycare Center and just unloads on the helpless Reman women and children

I also really don't get what the point of taking civilians for hostages and transfering them to Ent-E black site "for enhanced interrogation" that was added back to the novelization was. I mean you already are onboard the superweapon that your nemesis operates, you don't need extra information and I don't think torturing random civilians makes you look like the hero of the movie.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
What's weird about the Remans is that everything about them seems designed to make them sympathetic. They're enslaved by the Romulans, Star Trek's oldest recurring villains. They're kind enough to take in baby Shinzon when he's dumped in the mines, and accept him as one of their own. They're not even responsible for killing the Romulan Senate, that's done by another Romulan.

But hey, they're ugly, so they must be orcs to be slaughtered by the heroes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

I also really don't get what the point of taking civilians for hostages and transfering them to Ent-E black site "for enhanced interrogation" that was added back to the novelization was. I mean you already are onboard the superweapon that your nemesis operates, you don't need extra information and I don't think torturing random civilians makes you look like the hero of the movie.

wait the novelization suggests there's official torture chambers on the E? what the gently caress series did people think they were writing for, 24? that's not star trek

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

wait the novelization suggests there's official torture chambers on the E? what the gently caress series did people think they were writing for, 24? that's not star trek

Relax, its a joke.

Like the "gunning down civilians at the daycare center" I replied to ... I hope. I have only seen the original cut of the Nemesis. :D

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Voyage Home is a rare example, maybe the only one in filmdom, of time travel being pulled off without any apparent ill effects. Even with Spock's memory problems they travel through time so efficiently that they return at almost the exact instant they left.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Angry Salami posted:

What's weird about the Remans is that everything about them seems designed to make them sympathetic. They're enslaved by the Romulans, Star Trek's oldest recurring villains. They're kind enough to take in baby Shinzon when he's dumped in the mines, and accept him as one of their own. They're not even responsible for killing the Romulan Senate, that's done by another Romulan.

But hey, they're ugly, so they must be orcs to be slaughtered by the heroes.

That's an amazing observation and sort of sat at the back of my mind as an uneasy itch throughout the movie, a thought I couldn't quite form. It's a bit poorly thought out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The Voyage Home is a rare example, maybe the only one in filmdom, of time travel being pulled off without any apparent ill effects. Even with Spock's memory problems they travel through time so efficiently that they return at almost the exact instant they left.

The ill effects are frontloaded, they warp in through the giant stone head ketamine dimension.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MuddyFunster posted:

That's an amazing observation and sort of sat at the back of my mind as an uneasy itch throughout the movie, a thought I couldn't quite form. It's a bit poorly thought out.

Oh I don't know, I think there was some element of intentionality there, even if it wasn't necessarily conscious. It was 2003, after all, and US culture was even less sympathetic towards the Other than it usually is

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

dr_rat posted:

(perhaps the most generous use of "honourable death" ever)

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Barry Foster posted:

Oh I don't know, I think there was some element of intentionality there, even if it wasn't necessarily conscious. It was 2003, after all, and US culture was even less sympathetic towards the Other than it usually is

Didn't Enterprise have some queasy post 9/11 allusions? Until doing TNG, I think that's the only non-TOS Trek I ever watched, even then not regularly. I just remember it as a grim, grey smear, punctuated by blue-lit sexy oily rubdown scenes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MuddyFunster posted:

Didn't Enterprise have some queasy post 9/11 allusions? Until doing TNG, I think that's the only non-TOS Trek I ever watched, even then not regularly. I just remember it as a grim, grey smear, punctuated by blue-lit sexy oily rubdown scenes.

Season 3 of Enterprise is an insanely unsubtle 9/11 allusion, yes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MuddyFunster posted:

The first set of villains are shadowy resentment filled terrorists called the Suliban. Then 9/11 happened, so they decided to switch tacks and go full War on Terror, complete with grim and gritty torture in the space middle east and aliens blasting the poo poo out of Florida

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

skasion posted:

aliens blasting the poo poo out of Florida

Eh, nothing of value lost there.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I love the Xindi took the Futurama 'I'll rob this bank a little as a warm up' stance on blowing up Earth, rather than just turning up with the completed doomsday weapon a year later. Very gracious of them

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

No Dignity posted:

I love the Xindi took the Futurama 'I'll rob this bank a little as a warm up' stance on blowing up Earth, rather than just turning up with the completed doomsday weapon a year later. Very gracious of them

Worked for the US in WW2.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arivia posted:

Worked for the US in WW2.

It works if you think or know that your enemy can't or won't be able to respond.

The US nuisance raid against Japan was couched in the knowledge that Japan did not possess the ability to respond and would be compelled to prevent any future raids for propaganda reasons.

Conversely, the Xindi did not anticipate Earth's response to the Florida attack. Rather than pull back and attempt to defend (see the German High Seas Fleet), it was like if someone told the Imperial Japan Army about the Manhattan Project, so they piled in a van and drove across the country to blow up Oak Ridge.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I much prefer TMP to 2001.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Look they took out Earth massive surplus of Gators. If you have reason to think your enemy might drop a whole bunch of gators on your planet this is a very sensible attack.

(have to assume they didn't know we still had a surplus of crocodiles. The preferable animal to drop on a planet if you want a quick surrender.)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Seemlar posted:

(perhaps the most generous use of "honourable death" ever)

Funny because there’s a whole episode in DS9 where Worf is distraught that she’s not in Stovokor

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Worf retroactively gave her an 'honourable death' with the shipyard attack so now he gets to tell everyone she had one.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 25, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The logic of the Xindi test only works if they assume Earth was already gunning for them 100%, so it didn't matter if they pissed Earth off. Even then it's weak.

At least we got Bug Queen Archer out of it

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I love how, even for idiot Berman, this is just immediately and transparently stupid. In what world is, "whoa, Worf is on the other Star Trek show and had a wife? I should check that out," or even, "I don't watch DS9, so I guess that happened there, OK," a less likely audience response than "Wife? I am too confused and the movie is now ruined."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's always relevant to put on a Mr. Plinkett voice and go, "gently caress you, Rick Berman. You ruined this, too?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Worf retroactively gave her an 'honourable death' with the shipyard attack so now he gets to tell everyone she had one.

Oh so Klingons are like Mormons

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

skasion posted:

The first set of villains are shadowy resentment filled terrorists called the Suliban. Then 9/11 happened, so they decided to switch tacks and go full War on Terror, complete with grim and gritty torture in the space middle east and aliens blasting the poo poo out of Florida

And in going full War on Terror they also pretty much ignored the Suliban for the rest of the show lol

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 25, 2023

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

And in going full War on Terror they also pretty much ignored the Sullivan for the rest of the show lol

Hey, the Suliban leader showed up in the two-parter where Enterprise time travels to fight alien time travelling Nazis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I like that they filmed some quite good scenes for the wedding and then didn't use any of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQf0P47VHY