Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I can't wait to fill out the Fish Encyclopedia when the Star Ocean Second Story R game launches on November 1, at 11:00 pm CST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I am very much looking forward to Star Ocean 2 R. Considering how much they've shown they changed and improved in just the demo, I'm really curious what other surprises are waiting in the full game.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Star Ocean The Second Story :allears:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Don't mix artstyles, they said. And never mix resolutions, they said.

Meanwhile, Star Ocean is over here looking awesome.

Will this game be something I can go into blind, or should I read up on lore for the first one?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
You do not need to know anything about Star Ocean 1 to play 2.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Here's what you need to know: Claude Kenny is the son of two major characters from Star Ocean 1, Ronyx Kenny and Iria Silvestri, and is really tired of living under his parents' shadow (and influence). Especially his dad's.

That's it. You're prepared now.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

And you barely need to know that much. The game conveys just fine on its own that Claude is the son of a hero and high-ranking officer, and it's been getting to him for a long time now.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Donnerberg posted:

Will this game be something I can go into blind, or should I read up on lore for the first one?

Go in blind.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

FutureCop posted:

Anyone else really excited for STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R? I played the demo (which does look to transfer progress into the full game) and was quite impressed at the amount of polish at recreating the experience while also modernizing it with loads of quality-of-life changes. I always wanted to go back and play this on PS1 but was held back by old standards like random encounters, but now that those are physically modeled in the world with this remake, I'm all for playing this. Hope it turns out well: is out soon on Nov 2nd.

I started playing the PS1 version a while ago, but I didn't make a lot of progress, and I've switched computers, so I have to see if I can recover the save game I had. With the remake just around the corner, though, I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to play through the PS1 version to see how everything gets updated with the remake, but playing both back-to-back sounds like a chore.

What I'm going to be curious about is whether or not the remake is going to carry over all the ways you can break the difficulty curve. I was in the process of doing the trick where you get the Thieves' Gloves and pickpocket a high-level sword off one of the NPCs in one of the towns, but I've lost track of where I was with that.

There's also the one where you learn the duplication skill and make a hundred of an item that lets you level up quickly, so you can reach Level 100 on the first disc, but I don't know the whole process for that, just what I remember from the LP on the Archive.

-

Alternatively, I could just play the game normally.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Schwarzwald posted:

Go in blind.

yeah do not study for so2 it does not take itself that seriously and neither should you

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Don’t sell the sword from winning the tournament until you have some really good poo poo to fuse with it, that’s about the only thing to keep in mind.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think I might try an actual Tales game instead of Shining Resonance, because although it has charm, much of the time spent in the game just isn’t interesting.

I like the cast, even if they’re very stereotypical jrpg characters, but everything else is mediocre to bad, and often dull. There’s nothing egregiously wrong with it, but that’s hardly a good reason to play something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

And it’s a bummer that what seems to be the most interesting thing about the game mechanically—

the resonance bond system, which is kinda like Valkyrie Chronicles’ potentials except you can affect it with what traits you unlock and how you arrange them

—is completely opaque, and ultimately doesn’t seem to matter much.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Really waiting for SO 2 R, the PS 1 version was about the first PS rpg I ever owned. My advice is this: do Private Actions. Whenever you can. That's all.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It's funny that SO2R not having random encounters was mentioned as a positive upthread, I found The World's Easiest To Ignore Symbol Encounters to be the worst of the system changes. Saps all tension from exploring.

Based on the demo the original has more coherent design if you have to choose one version but r's gonna be an interesting enough spin to be worth a play regardless.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's always been a number of people who consider random encounters an inherently flawed mechanic done solely out of tradition, rather than a deliberate design choice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m still sticking with Shining Resonance. It might not be the most original thing, but it’s got enough character to keep it from feeling overly bland.

Anyone play that other Media.Vision PS4 fantasy game? Valkyria Revolution.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Don't

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rinkles posted:

I’m still sticking with Shining Resonance. It might not be the most original thing, but it’s got enough character to keep it from feeling overly bland.

Anyone play that other Media.Vision PS4 fantasy game? Valkyria Revolution.

Oh lord, I could barely finish the demo. It feels like a game that finished its development cycle a year too early. It's incredibly stiff, ugly as hell and it sounds awful. It's definitely one of the top 5 worst gaming experiences I've had.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I liked the story setup buuuuuuttt yeaaaaahh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The combat system looks kinda intriguing. Seems pretty original.

What was the Vita performance like?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

There's always been a number of people who consider random encounters an inherently flawed mechanic done solely out of tradition, rather than a deliberate design choice.

Tbf there have been some real stinkers wrt random encounters with poo poo awful rates and/or no grace period, but yeah there’s not a lot of difference between something like Etrian Odyssey’s non-FOE system and the old Yakuza games where you can see some dickhead running up to you but it might as well be a random encounter since there’s no run button yet, except the latter makes you die a little on the inside. If nothing else seeing enemies feels less intrusive since you know exactly when you’ll be interrupted imho, and most console RPGs don’t really test the player party’s attrition so it’s not like the benefits of forced random fights against enemy mobs exists either.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Touch encounters or go to hell

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't remember that Yoshi's Island stage

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Last Celebration posted:

Tbf there have been some real stinkers wrt random encounters with poo poo awful rates and/or no grace period, but yeah there’s not a lot of difference between something like Etrian Odyssey’s non-FOE system and the old Yakuza games where you can see some dickhead running up to you but it might as well be a random encounter since there’s no run button yet, except the latter makes you die a little on the inside. If nothing else seeing enemies feels less intrusive since you know exactly when you’ll be interrupted imho, and most console RPGs don’t really test the player party’s attrition so it’s not like the benefits of forced random fights against enemy mobs exists either.

Well, Etrian Odyssey in particular has a little meter that shows how close you are to a random encounter, so you do know almost exactly when you'll get into an encounter and can prepare yourself accordingly.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I like games where you can hit enemies for a pre-emptive bonus like in XIII-2 or Persona 5.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i always feel random encounters are fine when the tone of the game supports it, if the world is supposed to be hostile touch encounters sometimes just feel really silly. it's like if a lion hunted a gazelle by walking at it menacingly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It really depends on the structure of the game imo. Like they make perfect sense in a dedicated dungeon crawler like Etrian Odyssey or SMT but they're a horrible weight around the neck of Octopath Traveller, where the game's pushing you towards open world world exploration and then constantly taxing your time with pointless interludes. Also any time you have to do a puzzle that requires movement between locations and random battles are enabled the designer should be imprisoned

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Etrian Odyssey also handles that by secretly changing the encounter rate (ie: how fast the meter fills up) in different areas. Places where they don't want you to be interrupted, like puzzles, have extremely low rates.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Clarste posted:

Well, Etrian Odyssey in particular has a little meter that shows how close you are to a random encounter, so you do know almost exactly when you'll get into an encounter and can prepare yourself accordingly.

Yeah that’s what I mean, you know almost exactly when something’s gonna fight you so it’s functionally the same as Yakuza 3, where random guys in preset parts of the world just beeline you and you have no option like hauling rear end to avoid the fight. poo poo, I think Y3’s is more random than Etrian Odyssey since you have to play a while before you figure out who’s a symbol encounter.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I like games where you can hit enemies for a pre-emptive bonus like in XIII-2 or Persona 5.

i don't like this mechanic because it incentivizes standing around waiting for the mob to face away from you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the idea in yakuza 3-5 is funny because what it's actually trying to encourage you to do is walk everywhere. like most enemies only spot you cause you're sprinting around the place and if you just walk like a normal person they don't try to chase you. the run button just turned it into the opposite of that and now you have to loving bolt for it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, theoretically you can make that part fun. But often it isn't, true.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Looper posted:

i don't like this mechanic because it incentivizes standing around waiting for the mob to face away from you

In star rail, you can charge right up to them and smack 'em, as long as your controllable character has a type advantage you'll get the bonus.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Every game should just steal Bravely Default's system!!! Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i like how breath of fire dragon quarter handled it, where the enemies were 1 to 1 the same on the map as they are in fights, and could be baited or trapped for advantageous positioning or strategy when the fight starts, or even just having a bunch of adds chase you and take them out individually before preparing for the one big monster they were surrounding separately.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Bring back the auto-win thing from Earthbound if you significantly out-level the encounter

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just do Lightning Returns or Undertale's genocide mechanic

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just do Lightning Returns or Undertale's genocide mechanic

Or Nethack's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GloomMouse posted:

Bring back the auto-win thing from Earthbound if you significantly out-level the encounter

I really don't know why basically no one else ever did this, since it's really good. It's also hugely satisfying to have enemies that used to barrel into your face to kick your rear end run away from you in terror because you're so much stronger now.