Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Stallone isn’t funny, neither is Seagal, at least not intentionally. The best action stars can do comedy. That’s why Arnold is the king. He’s funnier than his peers. Just is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I unironically love Last Action Hero.

Some great comedic timing by Arnold in that one.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
What the hell, Stallone is hilarious in Demolition Man. He just tends to overdo the witty bumbling back and forth from the latter Rocky movies these days.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Stallone pulls off some great comedy in Demolition Man. Him just constantly being exasperated by all the future bullshit and then, as a result, cussing as the swearing ticket machine so he has enough paper to wipe his rear end was great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

well why not posted:

Stallone isn’t funny, neither is Seagal, at least not intentionally. The best action stars can do comedy. That’s why Arnold is the king. He’s funnier than his peers. Just is.

I did a mini-Stalloneathon recently and while he is often quite bad including at comedy (watching him try and keep up in a one-liner-off with Kurt Russel in Tango & Cash is painful), his comic timing in the first Rocky movie is legit great. All the bits where he's super awkward while being interviewed on TV are hilarious.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
He's best as a straight man playing off his natural lunkhead qualities

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think Sly can do ok like in Demolition man but Arnie's just much, much better at it

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Arnold saying "talk to the hand" is the least funny thing that has ever appeared in a movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dokmo posted:

Arnold saying "talk to the hand" is the least funny thing that has ever appeared in a movie

true but Arnold saying "I have to take a major leak (perfect Arabic)" is the funniest thing to ever happen in a movie

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dokmo posted:

Yes but I'm pretty sure he didn't write that line

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

People don’t understand how goddamn great Rocky is because of what but the franchise and Sly became.

Warm take: Seagal was never good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Warm take: Seagal was never good

i like both Under Siege movies and definitely watched a lot of Seagal when i was younger but yeah pretty much.

i think my favorite as a kid was Marked for Death, the one where he fights Jamaican drug lords and i am terrified to revisit it and see just how racist it is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i like both Under Siege movies and definitely watched a lot of Seagal when i was younger but yeah pretty much.

i think my favorite as a kid was Marked for Death, the one where he fights Jamaican drug lords and i am terrified to revisit it and see just how racist it is.

It's that specific kind of racist that you encounter everytime a new gang catches the public's eye. (see also that period when every TV show and film writer found out about MS13 at the same time) The Jamaican gangs were briefly a phenomenon in the US (Ioan Grillo wrote about them) and were responsible for some very high profile and nasty stuff but it provoked a rapid and effective police response. It was dramatic enough to catch the public imagination and we got Marked for Death and Predator 2 out of it (probably some other stuff that I haven't seen or was completely forgotten)

It's one of Seagal's better films (for what that's worth) They don't even try to establish that any of these guys are really a threat to him and he just mows them down in various nasty ways. There's also a bewildering subplot involving a priestess and Voodoo magic that I've deliberately forgotten the details of. It's also the point where somone actually realised how stupid Seagal looks when he runs and you can see a few very deliberate editing choices based on that realisation

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

King Willy owns

Wish he lived tbh

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ok wait I take it back about Seagal never being good. Once he said he’d snatch every one of a motherfucker’s birthdays. That was the one good thing he did other than poo poo his pants getting choked out by Gene Lebell.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/lyricshitposts/status/1716079000357884309

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

morestuff posted:

He's best as a straight man playing off his natural lunkhead qualities

This makes sense, I thought he was terrible in Tango and Cash where he was the straight man but also like, the precise/intellectual of the two it's mostly mumbling out quips that pales when he's sharing the screen with Kurt Russell.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

weekly font posted:

Ok wait I take it back about Seagal never being good. Once he said he’d snatch every one of a motherfucker’s birthdays. That was the one good thing he did other than poo poo his pants getting choked out by Gene Lebell.

the other day i found a wonderful weirdo on youtube who creates diorama of popular culture moments, like when Mel Gibson got arrested, or this very event. The dude narrates the entire story, and goes as far as creating a life size clay face, scanning it, and 3d printing an accurate miniature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aCMTpJx2cs

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Steven Seagal Chokehold Diorama would be a great name for something. Maybe my second-born. She's only 8 so legally I think I can do it for her without her permission.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finally got to watch Mi7 Dead Reckoning. Kinda a dissapointed not because it was bad but I felt Top Gun Maverick and Mi6 Fallout both did better in story + action.

There is a lot of setup at the start for the super evil AI and it's just too slow. I read online people praising "the entity". The super evil 1million IQ AI is using a human when it could basically disrupt anything on the grid in a major city, hacking IOT stuff like driverless cars/drones but no lets rely on this one man. They really tried to sell the AI as omnipotent but it just came off as incompetent. Top Gun Maverick didn't have much action either but all the story had an awesome payoff with Roster and the crew finally going the mission overcoming their weaknesses. Dead Reckoning can perhaps fix that in the 2nd part but I felt Fallout was the perfect length and did better than Dead Reckoning. No offense to the guy who plays Gabriel he is cool and all but Fallout had Henry Cavill who was amazing in that. I was really hoping we would get bigger name villains in MI series like they do in James Bond.

Also I must have missed everything Hayley Atwell is in because I have barely seen her but she was GREAT.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Reminds me of the bit from Who Am I where Jackie Chan fights a takewendo and more general karate dude. I had so much fun watching them do their thing and wondering how Jackie was gonna beat them (the answer is desperately and incredibly).

The rest of that movie is just OK but the last 30 minutes is loving amazing

IIRC the taller of the two bad guys was Jackie's bodyguard at the time

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The rest of that movie is just OK but the last 30 minutes is loving amazing

IIRC the taller of the two bad guys was Jackie's bodyguard at the time

Jackie had a tall kick guy bodyguard but it was Ken Lo, the guy he faces in the legendary final fight of Drunken Master 2.

The tall guy in Who Am I? was a Dutch martial artist who at times in that scene is replaced by Brad Allan (the guy he has a great fight with in Gorgeous) because apparently the Dutch guy wasn't nailing all the choreo. Brad is not tall so you can spot the major height difference in some shots.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Here's the clip showing the process and Brad Allen coming in to nail the snappiness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_aWp1boRJw

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Lobok posted:

The tall guy in Who Am I? was a Dutch martial artist who at times in that scene is replaced by Brad Allan (the guy he has a great fight with in Gorgeous) because apparently the Dutch guy wasn't nailing all the choreo. Brad is not tall so you can spot the major height difference in some shots.

He has a great name though, Ron Smoorenburg.
It was his first movie role because yeah, he was just a karate guy that decided to audition for the movie and Jackie liked his kicking skills.
He ended up moving to Thailand after being a stunt fighter guy in Tom-Yum-Goong and now he just does martial arts movies in Asia.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrBling posted:

He has a great name though, Ron Smoorenburg.
It was his first movie role because yeah, he was just a karate guy that decided to audition for the movie and Jackie liked his kicking skills.
He ended up moving to Thailand after being a stunt fighter guy in Tom-Yum-Goong and now he just does martial arts movies in Asia.

Scott Adkins beats him up in Ninja 2, which you should watch because it's pretty much the best straight to video action movie ever.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
So I was randomly browsing Jessica Rothe's wiki after rewatching Happy Death Day and what the hell is this. This is the most unexpected sentence I could have read

quote:

Boy Kills World is a 2023 action-thriller film directed by Moritz Mohr in his feature directorial debut from a screenplay by Arend Remmers and Tyler Burton Smith and a story by Mohr and Remmers. Produced by Sam Raimi and Roy Lee, it stars Bill Skarsgård, Jessica Rothe, Yayan Ruhian, Isaiah Mustafa, and Andrew Koji. The plot follows Boy (Skarsgard), a deaf-mute who is trained in the jungle by a mysterious mentor (Ruhian) after his family is murdered. Filming took place in South Africa. The title is a reference to the unrelated sitcom Boy Meets World.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I watched half of the John wick show and it sucks pretty bad. Way too much whedon in the writing

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

I watched half of the John wick show and it sucks pretty bad. Way too much whedon in the writing

Yeah, the issue is that the lead doesn't have nearly enough charisma to sell the dialogue he's given. Every badass quip gives the impression of everyone else standing around patiently waiting for the guy to finish. The annoying part is, it would have worked with a young Ian McShane (go watch 'Villain' from 1971) but they didn't realise they didn't have a young ian mcshane.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hit me up with your best modern action films. I'm pretty caught up on anything pre 2010.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shard posted:

Hit me up with your best modern action films. I'm pretty caught up on anything pre 2010.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/best-action-movies-decade/

Switch edge of tomorrow for winter soldier and it's a hell of a top 20. For 2020 and later, RRR can get you into indian action , Kenshin for Japanese

Otherwise just pick all the big action stars (iko uwais, Tony jaa, Adkins, wu jing, Donnie yen, Chris Hemsworth, tom cruise, Charlize Theron) and watch what they've put out

It's been a great time to be into action

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 5, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

trevorreznik posted:

https://filmschoolrejects.com/best-action-movies-decade/

Switch edge of tomorrow for winter soldier and it's a hell of a top 20. For 2020 and later, RRR can get you into indian action , Kenshin for Japanese

Otherwise just pick all the big action stars (iko uwais, Tony jaa, Adkins, wu jing, Donnie yen, Chris Hemsworth, tom cruise, Charlize Theron) and watch what they've put out

It's been a great time to be into action

Keanu Reeves, too.

This will land you on Man of Tai Chi, I fairly uneven but very underrated martial arts movie starring Tiger Chen, directed by Keanu Reeves. I love it dearly.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's sort of pushing the definition of action, but 'The Great Battle' is really fun. It felt like some coked up producer in korea watched every big epic battle movie of the last thirty years and yelled 'I WANT ONE OF THOSE' and when someone asked which one, he screamed 'ALL OF THEM.' As a result, you get a two hour movie that crams in its own versions of the major set pieces from Kingdom of Heaven, Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, The Last Samurai, 300, Troy, King Arthur, Alexander, that Luc Besson Joan of Arc movie...Its relentless and just set piece after set piece. I enjoyed it but it also made me realise I was getting older. If I'd seen it as a young man I think I would have watched it, in full, every single day for about a month before I got sick of it. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. I'm not going to say it's really a good movie but if you like epic battle scenes, it will hit the spot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shard posted:

Upgrade

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

If you haven't watched Fury Road, watch Fury Road.

If you have watched Fury Road, watch it again.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Also John Wick, John Wick 4, Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, Avengement, The Night Comes For Us, Ip Man 4, and Frozen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xand_Man posted:

If you haven't watched Fury Road, watch Fury Road.

If you have watched Fury Road, watch it again.

on it, chief

update: it's still good

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 6, 2023

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Raid.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I prefer the leaner Regeneration but Day of Reckoning slaps. Get the unrated version.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Has "The Night Comes for Us" in top 3, this list is alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's a great movie but gently caress ever seeing it again. The most nihilistic action movie ever.