Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Xalidur posted:

Despite the House GOP circus and Trump being generally evil, a bunch of GE polling just came out that was either tied or with Trump ahead. I simply cannot comprehend the absolute madness, depravity, stupidity, or all three, that it would take to choose that outcome in 2024. And it's a coin flip that we might get it.

People who still support trump are living in an entirely different world from you. They literally can't even comprehend your views. They're several bubbles removed from any sort of disagreement. A lot of them think Fox is too liberal and have moved onto wackier poo poo.

The internet was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mannerup posted:

lmao the groveling did nothing for him except get his text messages publicly posted

I understand that his voter base will likely never see this but how do you vote for someone like this?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FizFashizzle posted:

I understand that his voter base will likely never see this but how do you vote for someone like this?

There's an (R) next to his name on the ballot, they make it really easy for you

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

What else are they going to do, vote for baby raping and puppy blood drinking on the other team? Why I saw on face book they even have Jewish space lasers!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

What else are they going to do, vote for baby raping and puppy blood drinking on the other team? Why I saw on face book they even have Jewish space lasers!

I mean, you would think that having space lasers would be a good incentive to vote for them, so they don't blow up MY house with said laser, but what do I know?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

bird food bathtub posted:

It was probably an ad for this book that came out last month.

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/733925/jewish-space-lasers-by-mike-rothschild/

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
The Federal Reserve sticking with high interest rates is going to help Trump a lot. I'm not convinced that the kind of inflation we're seeing is going to be fixed by trying to do another Volcker shock and you have a range of voters being hurt by the effects (whether it's due to it being harder to do anything using credit, harder to sell your home or make mortgage payments, the drag on stocks, or people losing jobs).

If we do reach the supposed goal of 2% inflation (which I'm not sure is really a realistic thing), I don't think any of us are going to like how we got there.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s really not unless the economy collapses entirely into its own rear end in a top hat. People keep trotting out election ‘truisms’ that don’t hold up when people actually hit the polls.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

i am a moron posted:

It’s really not unless the economy collapses entirely into its own rear end in a top hat. People keep trotting out election ‘truisms’ that don’t hold up when people actually hit the polls.

People are economically hurting and Biden, for better or worse, is the guy in the Oval Office so he is going to get the blame from many voters.

How much of a boost that will the GOP despite the GOP taking on a lot of unpopular social and economic positions is up for debate, sure. I just think the effects of higher interest rates are unfortunately not a good thing for a Democratic Party that usually gets its best results by concentrating on "checkbook" issues for working people.

Polling isn't an exact science, especially in an age where no one wants to pick up their phone, but there seems to be a noticeable level of dissatisfaction in all the general election polling right now and that usually helps the challenger and not the incumbent.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Eric Cantonese posted:

People are economically hurting and Biden, for better or worse, is the guy in the Oval Office so he is going to get the blame from many voters.

How much of a boost that will the GOP despite the GOP taking on a lot of unpopular social and economic positions is up for debate, sure. I just think the effects of higher interest rates are unfortunately not a good thing for a Democratic Party that usually gets its best results by concentrating on "checkbook" issues for working people.

Polling isn't an exact science, especially in an age where no one wants to pick up their phone, but there seems to be a noticeable level of dissatisfaction in all the general election polling right now and that usually helps the challenger and not the incumbent.

Sure. All of that goes out the window if it's Trump as the Republican nominee though. People still hate that dude.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
You don’t even need to go that far back in history to see that it doesn’t really matter - Republicans held the White House from 80-92 and Obama got a second term despite everything that happened while he was president the first term. ‘The economy’ is almost always a facile, narrative driven way to predict polling behavior. It’s divorced from both historical results and current voting trendlines. I think it’s also way, way too much of an oversimplification of American voters understanding of how our country and the world functions.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BiggerBoat posted:

It's maddening to me because "fixing" social security is essentially as simple as eliminating the cap. Defense spending is equally frustrating because the entire model is centered around building things that murder people and destroy things and, once their built, someone needs to find a use for them. Hell, we've had things resembling clearance sales on the arms we manufacture basically because they sit around gathering dust otherwise.

But any attempt to look at if we really need all this poo poo is always framed as "gutting the military".

Your general points are correct, but two important asterisks:

1) Just lifting the cap on social security taxes alone won't entirely fix the funding issue. It will fix about 2/3 of it. You will still need to reduce benefits or increase the actual rate a little (or dramatically increase the number of working people via immigration because the unemployment rate is so low right now that you can't feasibly introduce 10% more people into the workforce).

2) The military is basically a real estate and welfare program now.

Arms sales and new procurements are only about 20% of the defense budget. That's still in the range of $150 billion per year, so there is fat to cut there, but over half of all defense spending goes to costs associated with troops, real estate, and maintenance.

The problem is that forced retirements, reducing the size of the military, kicking people out of the military, reducing salaries and benefits for the military, and closing military bases are far and away the least popular ways to cut military spending. If you want dramatic military spending cuts, then those are the areas you have to target.

The last Presidents to propose that were George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. Clinton had a drawdown plan and Bush had his "peace dividend" plan, but both of them ended up thrown out the window and reversed after 9/11. Obama came the closest with his proposal that defense spending only grow by slightly less than an inflation for 10 years. Even Bernie Sanders' defense spending plan when he ran for President only cut about 10% because he wouldn't commit to cutting real estate or personnel costs.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

i am a moron posted:

You don’t even need to go that far back in history to see that it doesn’t really matter - Republicans held the White House from 80-92 and Obama got a second term despite everything that happened while he was president the first term. ‘The economy’ is almost always a facile, narrative driven way to predict polling behavior. It’s divorced from both historical results and current voting trendlines. I think it’s also way, way too much of an oversimplification of American voters understanding of how our country and the world functions.

Both of your examples kind of support the point of the economy mattering. Reagan was lucky to survive the economic contraction early in his term (1980 to 1982) and Democrats gained seats in the 1982 midterms. The US recovered from the recession by 1984 and was expanding again. In fact, the next recession didn't happen until... 1992 and that hurt Bush and helped Clinton.

Likewise, the financial crisis already commenced under George W. Bush. Obama tried, but his policies did not fix the hurt enough and the Democrats got stomped in 2010. The technical lowpoint of the recession was in late 2009 and there was enough time and ensuing recovery after the midterms, that Obama was ultimately able to recover by 2012.

"The economy" does not explain everything (and I was not saying it does), but the economic welfare of voters at any given point does have an effect and I would not just wave away how that affects voter behavior and preferences.

Trump's a special case, sure, but I think it's up for debate on whether he is so poisonous that his campaign is not going to be able to benefit if the economy keeps getting worse under Biden for working Americans.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 25, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

Both of your examples kind of support the point of the economy mattering. Reagan was lucky to survive the economic contraction early in his term (1980 to 1982) and Democrats gained seats in the 1982 midterms. The US recovered from the recession by 1984 and was expanding again. In fact, the next recession didn't happen until... 1992 and that hurt Bush and helped Clinton.

The economy is a tough thing though because yes inflation is high and interest rates are high but unemployment's is the lowest it's been in a long time. Wages are going up too. The economy is growing.

This isn't to say it's growing evenly or that people aren't feeling the pinch but it's more complicated than inflation is bad, therefore Biden and the economy is bad.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

Likewise, the financial crisis already commenced under George W. Bush. Obama tried, but his policies did not fix the hurt enough and the Democrats got stomped in 2010. The technical lowpoint of the recession was in late 2009 and there was enough time and ensuing recovery after the midterms, that Obama was ultimately able to recover by 2012.

"The economy" does not explain everything (and I was not saying it does), but the economic welfare of voters at any given point does have an effect and I would not just wave away how that affects voter behavior and preferences.

Trump's a special case, sure, but I think it's up for debate on whether he is so poisonous that his campaign is not going to be able to benefit if the economy keeps getting worse under Biden for working Americans.

And carter had the gas crisis in 1979

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Eric Cantonese posted:

I’m not waving it away I just think any statement I’ve read on this or the last page about it isn’t detailed enough to engage with. It’s a facile analysis of something very complex. Similarly you’re making statements about things being worse for working Americans, yet that is not what all the data is saying. It’s a narrative until you start making an actual case this is happening and start hazarding educated guesses at poll behavior. Otherwise it might as well be an opinion piece written by a conservative think tank on cnn.com.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The only real Jewish conspiracy is trying to convince me that the plural of Rothschild isn't Rothschildren. I'm on to you, Mike (if that's even your real name)!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The DNC hasn't officially taken any action yet, but it seems like this is pretty much confirmation that New Hampshire's refusal to change their date is going to result in them losing their delegates.

Iowa complied with the reform requests to basically turn the caucus into a primary with ranked choice voting (allow mail-in voting, allow voting all day, and you don't have to wait 3 hours or stay for the entire caucus duration to vote), but NH has refused to move its primary citing a state law that requires them to be the first primary state of an election cycle.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1717134040027873528

quote:

Biden will not be on the New Hampshire primary ballot this election

CONCORD, N.H. — President Joe Biden will not file to be on the primary ballot in New Hampshire this election cycle, his 2024 campaign told the state Democratic Party on Tuesday.

“While the president wishes to participate in the Primary, he is obligated as a Democratic candidate for President to comply with the Delegate Selection Rules for the 2024 Democratic National Convention promulgated by the Democratic National Committee,” Biden for President campaign manager Julie Chávez Rodriguez wrote in the letter obtained by NBC News.

The DNC Rules & Bylaws Committee sent out guidance Tuesday advising Democratic campaigns to refrain from filing to be on the primary ballot in New Hampshire, a source familiar with the events said. The Democratic National Committee released a plan this year to make South Carolina the first presidential primary voting state following Biden’s recommendation, overtaking Iowa and New Hampshire, but New Hampshire law requires the state to hold the country’s first primary.

“In accordance with this guidance, Biden for President will refrain from submitting a Declaration of Candidacy for the Primary ahead of Friday’s candidate filing deadline for the Primary,” Rodriguez wrote.

New Hampshire Democratic Party Chair Raymond Buckley responded to the letter on X, writing: “The reality is that Joe Biden will win the NH FITN [first in the nation] Primary in January, win renomination in Chicago and will be re-elected next November. NH voters know and trust Joe Biden that’s why he is leading Trump in NH by double digits."

DNC Chair Jamie Harrison said in February that the new primary calendar “puts Black voters at the front of the process in South Carolina." He added, “The Democratic Party looks like America, and so does this proposal.”

In 2020, Biden came in fifth place in New Hampshire, but his victory in South Carolina gave him the momentum he needed to ultimately win the Democratic nomination.

Earlier Tuesday, before the letter was reported, New Hampshire Secretary of State David Scanlan said, "I think it’s a mistake that he’s not putting his name on the ballot." As the state's top elections official, Scanlan ultimately chooses the date of the primary.

On the presidential primary ballot in New Hampshire, there will be a list for all of the candidates and then a line for write-ins. That means that even though Biden will not be listed on the ballot in New Hampshire, people voting in the Democratic primary will have the option to write in his name.

“If 50% of the voters write in Joe Biden’s name, then the challenge will be preparing to count those write-in votes up at the end of the night when polls close,” Scanlan, a Republican, said in a speech at Saint Anselm College in Manchester.

“One thing that we will be recommending strongly to the local election officials before the primary election is that they enlist additional help to be able to speed up the write-in counting process,” Scanlan said.

In his speech, Scanlan explained why he believes New Hampshire should maintain its first-in-the-nation status.

“It’s a small state geographically. It has a small media market compared to other state states in the country, especially the large ones. We are a purple state politically,” Scanlan said. “We have regular high voter participation. And it is very easy for any United States citizen who qualifies to run for president to actually try and make it happen."

New Hampshire has not set its primary date yet. Scanlan said it will be announced “sometime after the filing period.”

Even though Biden’s name will not be on the primary ballot, his campaign manager said he expects it will appear on the general election ballot in November 2024.

“Consistent with New Hampshire law and the Secretary of State’s guidance, the president looks forward to having his name on New Hampshire’s general election ballot as the nominee of the Democratic Party after officially securing the nomination at the 2024 Democratic National Convention where he will tirelessly campaign to earn every single vote in the Granite State next November,” Rodriguez wrote.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Good. The current primary system is busted. This will make it a tiny bit better

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jesus III posted:

Good. The current primary system is busted. This will make it a tiny bit better

The primary system has already been reformed, New Hampshire is just refusing to go along with the reforms

Also I would consider "sent out guidance Tuesday advising Democratic campaigns to refrain from filing to be on the primary ballot in New Hampshire" to be the DNC taking action, even if it's still short of officially announcing the results of the NH primary will be ignored

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

The result of New Hampshire has always been more about narratives, momentum and expectations than their small amount of actual delegates, so there's an argument to be made to keep the path and see what happens

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Xalidur posted:

Despite the House GOP circus and Trump being generally evil, a bunch of GE polling just came out that was either tied or with Trump ahead. I simply cannot comprehend the absolute madness, depravity, stupidity, or all three, that it would take to choose that outcome in 2024. And it's a coin flip that we might get it.

I might need to stop doomscrolling, it's taking the fun out of the Speaker antics.

General Election polls are basically meaningless right now. Not only hasn't there been a single primary vote taken yet this season, but also you have to remember that we don't elect the President via popular vote.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Eric Cantonese posted:

The Federal Reserve sticking with high interest rates is going to help Trump a lot. I'm not convinced that the kind of inflation we're seeing is going to be fixed by trying to do another Volcker shock

If we do reach the supposed goal of 2% inflation (which I'm not sure is really a realistic thing), I don't think any of us are going to like how we got there.
Inflation has pretty much fallen, and there is no indication in the forecast of anything that would push it back up. No Volker shock required.

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1712494317024026761

Medium-term forecasts show the rate returning to its 21st century average and interest rates, eventually, also falling. Global inflation is falling (and the US has been performing better than global inflation pretty much this whole time.)

Now, it’s extremely understandable that people are still upset because prices don’t fall, and people want them to fall, because they’re high. But the lost ground has to be made up through wage growth, which takes some time. Every month that goes by between now and Nov 24 is likely to see an improvement in people’s feelings about inflation (barring the usual gas price rage.)

I think given the actual CPI numbers Powell might be actually kind of hoping for a recession in continuing to raise rates, and I think Biden should absolutely fire him. But he might be done raising rates - it’s thought that if anything there will be one more. Many Fed governors don’t want increase rates again at all.

October CPI report comes out on Nov 14, it’s almost guaranteed to be below 3% YOY (Sept and Aug were a little elevated because of a gas price spike that has subsided.)

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
There is also a theory that public opinion tracks with three year inflation more than YOY, and that figure has just tipped into falling in recent weeks. (YOY has been falling for about a year.)

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Misunderstood posted:

I think given the actual CPI numbers Powell might be actually kind of hoping for a recession in continuing to raise rates, and I think Biden should absolutely fire him. But he might be done raising rates - it’s thought that if anything there will be one more. Many Fed governors don’t want increase rates again at all.

Pay attention to the PCE if you want to know what Powell might be looking at. That is what the official inflation target is based on, not CPI.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I believe Johnson will win on first gavel, but Republican speakers have horrible workplace environments.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Misunderstood posted:

Inflation has pretty much fallen, and there is no indication in the forecast of anything that would push it back up. No Volker shock required.

Medium-term forecasts show the rate returning to its 21st century average and interest rates, eventually, also falling. Global inflation is falling (and the US has been performing better than global inflation pretty much this whole time.)

Now, it’s extremely understandable that people are still upset because prices don’t fall, and people want them to fall, because they’re high. But the lost ground has to be made up through wage growth, which takes some time. Every month that goes by between now and Nov 24 is likely to see an improvement in people’s feelings about inflation (barring the usual gas price rage.)

October CPI report comes out on Nov 14, it’s almost guaranteed to be below 3% YOY (Sept and Aug were a little elevated because of a gas price spike that has subsided.)

That doesn't really change the political impact of the perception, though.

You mention it, but kind of glaze over that this is the primary problem:

quote:

it’s extremely understandable that people are still upset because prices don’t fall, and people want them to fall, because they’re high. But the lost ground has to be made up through wage growth, which takes some time. Every month that goes by between now and Nov 24 is likely to see an improvement in people’s feelings about inflation (barring the usual gas price rage.)

Even if real wage gains are back on track and inflation is falling, it doesn't really matter if people still feel like prices are too high and won't come down. Even in good economic times, people still do the "gas used to be 89 cents per gallon and it only cost a nickel to see a movie!" routine. In a situation where real wages have roughly gotten to where they would been without Covid, it is still going to "feel" worse to get a paycheck for $2,000 and spend $1,500 on food and rent than it feels to get a paycheck for $1,000 and spent $800 on rent - even though you are objectively better off in the first scenario.

You'd need really significant wage growth in a short period of time or significant deflation to change that perception in just a few months. It took about 5 years after inflation started falling in the 70's for people to "feel" like it was getting better, even though it was technically better than before about 3 years in.

In the short term, I think gas station signs and grocery store prices are going to have more of a political impact that real wage gains or inflation numbers. The U.S. is doing much better than Europe and other major areas in regards to real wages and inflation, but American voters don't live in Europe and aren't grading on that scale. Avoiding a huge depression and getting us back to where we would be without covid are big successes, but it's not entirely unreasonable for people to remember that things were bad a few years ago and not be impressed by getting everyone back to 5 out of 10.

Going from -8 out of 10 to 5 out of 10 feels a lot worse than just staying at 5 the whole time, even though the first one is objectively much more improvement. People don't live in averages.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Misunderstood posted:

Ex -food -shelter -energy -cars lol.

Considering only the rate of inflation and not area under the curve.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The DNC hasn't officially taken any action yet, but it seems like this is pretty much confirmation that New Hampshire's refusal to change their date is going to result in them losing their delegates.

Iowa complied with the reform requests to basically turn the caucus into a primary with ranked choice voting (allow mail-in voting, allow voting all day, and you don't have to wait 3 hours or stay for the entire caucus duration to vote), but NH has refused to move its primary citing a state law that requires them to be the first primary state of an election cycle.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1717134040027873528

As someone who spent the first 22 years of his life in New Hampshire, it being the first primary is pretty baked into our state's culture, and even many people who don't even vote in the general election usually partake in it, and the DNC loving with this to reward a deep red state like South Carolina, which is even less reflective of the democratic base than NH, is still the stupidest move the DNC has done in the last decade. It is legitimately a factor that could push NH to vote in a republican representatives, Trump for president, or, if they continue this in future years, republican senators.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

In addition to people loathing Trump and a lot of these truisms being negated by this hatred, I'd argue that Trump is as much of an incumbent as Biden. He's a rare former president running for reelection. People know how he governs. They remember his neverending daily dramas. This has been true from the beginning, and we will all be reminded of his dumb poo poo with all of these upcoming trials during election season. Trump has been losing his and Republican elections since the special elections of 2017, including most recently in 2022 (which I argue was a loss). Democrats are swinging by 11 points in special elections as we speak. Trump Republicans in swing states have been losing hard.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

i am a moron posted:

I’m not waving it away I just think any statement I’ve read on this or the last page about it isn’t detailed enough to engage with. It’s a facile analysis of something very complex. Similarly you’re making statements about things being worse for working Americans, yet that is not what all the data is saying. It’s a narrative until you start making an actual case this is happening and start hazarding educated guesses at poll behavior. Otherwise it might as well be an opinion piece written by a conservative think tank on cnn.com.

I'm not sure if you're going to be happy with any of the pieces below (and I'm not saying that there isn't some debate to be had on how truly bad off most Americans are right now), but we have been seeing a situation throughout the past couple of years where inflation has affected the purchasing power of a lot of people. While you are seeing wage increases, inflation is eating into how much those are helping.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/average-american-family-lost-7k-172024544.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/22/amid-lower-inflation-buying-power-rose-for-first-time-in-2-years.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/06/business/economy/september-jobs-report.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/12/business/inflation-cpi-report-september.html

If there is another narrative on how things are getting better for Americans, it is having to fight against a narrative about things being worse.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Does New Hampshire's law lay out a minimum amount of time that they have to have their primary before anyone else? Like, what if it got to be the first by a couple of hours or something like that? Or even just a day?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

Does New Hampshire's law lay out a minimum amount of time that they have to have their primary before anyone else? Like, what if it got to be the first by a couple of hours or something like that? Or even just a day?

By law it is either the first Tuesday in March, or one week (7 days) before the first other primary, whichever is earlier

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

small butter posted:

In addition to people loathing Trump and a lot of these truisms being negated by this hatred, I'd argue that Trump is as much of an incumbent as Biden. He's a rare former president running for reelection. People know how he governs. They remember his neverending daily dramas. This has been true from the beginning, and we will all be reminded of his dumb poo poo with all of these upcoming trials during election season. Trump has been losing his and Republican elections since the special elections of 2017, including most recently in 2022 (which I argue was a loss). Democrats are swinging by 11 points in special elections as we speak. Trump Republicans in swing states have been losing hard.

Can you put a number on "a lot"?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MegaZeroX posted:

As someone who spent the first 22 years of his life in New Hampshire, it being the first primary is pretty baked into our state's culture, and even many people who don't even vote in the general election usually partake in it, and the DNC loving with this to reward a deep red state like South Carolina, which is even less reflective of the democratic base than NH, is still the stupidest move the DNC has done in the last decade. It is legitimately a factor that could push NH to vote in a republican representatives, Trump for president, or, if they continue this in future years, republican senators.

South Carolina composition:
25% black
7% hispanic

New Hampshire composition:
2% black
4% hispanic

I'm really sorry but as angry as you might be about it, the dreaded state of South Carolina is much closer to the actual demographics of the country. Yes this stays true even if the dems were mean to you.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm not sure if you're going to be happy with any of the pieces below (and I'm not saying that there isn't some debate to be had on how truly bad off most Americans are right now), but we have been seeing a situation throughout the past couple of years where inflation has affected the purchasing power of a lot of people. While you are seeing wage increases, inflation is eating into how much those are helping.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/average-american-family-lost-7k-172024544.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/22/amid-lower-inflation-buying-power-rose-for-first-time-in-2-years.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/06/business/economy/september-jobs-report.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/12/business/inflation-cpi-report-september.html

If there is another narrative on how things are getting better for Americans, it is having to fight against a narrative about things being worse.

To be clear, I’m not saying things have gotten better for workers. It’s been a really bizarre mixed bag since 2019 and Biden hasn’t exactly beaten back the ills of late stage capitalism. But questions I’d have for any analysis of this kind of thing would be things like, are the people who are most affected by the mixed bag of economic results even likely voters? If we look at historical trends are people even changing voting habits due to economic reasons? It feels to me like a narrative folks trot out (and not on a partisan basis) along with gas prices and other things that I think is more of a tribalist’s take on voter habits than anything based on a well reasoned analysis of voting habits and preferences

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

South Carolina composition:
25% black
7% hispanic

New Hampshire composition:
2% black
4% hispanic

I'm really sorry but as angry as you might be about it, the dreaded state of South Carolina is much closer to the actual demographics of the country. Yes this stays true even if the dems were mean to you.

538 did an article back in 2019 about this, where South Carolina ranks 46th in matching with the share of democrats. Black people make up 58% of dems in SC, where they are only 20.4% of the democratic base. Its even more distorted than NH, since about 61.2% of democrats are white. New Hampshire ranks 34th in matching with the general Dem electorate.

The most representative would be Illinois, New Jersey, and New York. Florida, Nevada, and Pennsylvania are the most representative swing states, though whether the former can still be considered one is up for debate I suppose

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Republicans can make a federal law establishing NH as the first state if they like, or is that unconstitutional?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nonsense posted:

Republicans can make a federal law establishing NH as the first state if they like, or is that unconstitutional?

The federal government is not involved in state parties planning their primaries in any way.

Even if they wanted to for some reason, the 1st amendment would stop them from regulating the private right to assembly or association.

If they really wanted to regulate the primary schedules federally, then they could pass a constitutional amendment and do it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eric Cantonese posted:

I mean we aren't stacking corpses so high the morgues are literally running out of time slots in the cremation ovens so that's a thing I'm enjoying about our endemic rather than pandemic present