Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

BabyFur Denny posted:

I think the app got sold and the original developer is no longer involved
Yeah, back in June https://twitter.com/BenoitLetondor/status/1674730171453014016

It also dropped the "Pixel" in the name. Latest review in play store talks about the

Also noticed in play store that you can pay up to $99.99 in the app, what the hell is that for?

It was open source, and I found this branch https://github.com/marazmarci/PixelNotSoMinimalWatchFace and if you dig enough you can likely find a newer one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I need the guy who made the Stealth 360 face for the Moto 360 to answer my email.

My all-time favorite watch face, and it hasn't been touched in forever.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

minusX posted:

Yeah, back in June https://twitter.com/BenoitLetondor/status/1674730171453014016

It also dropped the "Pixel" in the name. Latest review in play store talks about the

Also noticed in play store that you can pay up to $99.99 in the app, what the hell is that for?

It was open source, and I found this branch https://github.com/marazmarci/PixelNotSoMinimalWatchFace and if you dig enough you can likely find a newer one.

So I was looking for the timeline of how fast they made changes etc, and looking at appbrain and

quote:

The new Premium option is an $15 PER WEEK SUBSCRIPTION. You read that right. $60/mo just to access paywalled watch face features. It should go without saying that absolutely no watch face is worth that amount of money. Predatory, extortionate, shameful behavior.
Holy poo poo. Looking at the other apps the devs have "made" seems like this is their MO. Buying out an existing app and then adding a ton of full screen ads that have a 3 day free trial followed by $250/year subscriptions to turn them off. This is really loving annoying and makes me worried for a lot of apps I've come to love and are doing well enough that someone else might want to buy them out.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Remember that there is nothing that capitalism has not, cannot, or will not poison.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I've used Pujie (originally Pujie Black, rebranded as Pujie Watch Faces I think?) since I found it and never had any complaints

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sourdough posted:

I've used Pujie (originally Pujie Black, rebranded as Pujie Watch Faces I think?) since I found it and never had any complaints

Yeah, same here.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Pujie being a paid app that then springs a subscription on you to even look at other people's uploaded faces sucks rear end

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Pujie being a paid app that then springs a subscription on you to even look at other people's uploaded faces sucks rear end

I just made my own minimal one and have used it forever now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I used to use Pujie before all that. I won't install it anymore though because I don't like to support that behavior.

From what I recall it's worse than that. You can't even download a watch face in the wild and apply it unless you subscribe. Your options are either use the ones that come with it or make your own. Import, from any location even local, is locked down.

Pear is always my go-to minimal watch face, but I really just use the built in watch face of my Galaxy Watches and Pixel Watch.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I downloaded this one for October:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bloomfield.halloween2

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fwiw that Pujie app offers a one time $3 iap to access the library for life, I think it said it was a limited offer maybe? It sucks but I found a bunch of good faces on there already so eh.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I like this. One of the things I really liked about my old Fossil was the seasonal watch face they had. Didn't have complications, but you could read the time and it had options for various ones around the year.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

minusX posted:

So I was looking for the timeline of how fast they made changes etc, and looking at appbrain and

Holy poo poo. Looking at the other apps the devs have "made" seems like this is their MO. Buying out an existing app and then adding a ton of full screen ads that have a 3 day free trial followed by $250/year subscriptions to turn them off. This is really loving annoying and makes me worried for a lot of apps I've come to love and are doing well enough that someone else might want to buy them out.

This is an ongoing problem with phone apps in general, and I want to say it happened to some extent with shareware software on PC, too.

It's also a massive security concern, because bad actors will buy an app, load it up with malware, and unless you're paying attention pretty closely it can go unnoticed for a while. Just adding extortionate subscription fees is pretty mild compared to some of what has been going on out there.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
does anyone know how to fix this issue: whenever I start an exercise bike workout on my galaxy watch 4 it always loses my heart rate after about 2 minutes and stays lost for multiple minutes until the end of the workout where it comes back for like a minute, I've tried wearing it in every conceivable position, tight loose, inside of arm, outside, left, right, I even tried shaving the hair off of my arm in the spot where my watch is but nothing, any other work out works totally fine, it also fully reads my recovery heart rate afterwards without issue, saw a lot of people on reddit talking about it but no actual solutions. also this is a recent thing, as in the last 2 months or so, never had a problem before in the year+ I've owned it.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 10, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lol gently caress off Samsung for not letting us rebind (or even uninstall) Samsung Pay from the long-press back-button shortcut. I can workaround it by using the home button long-press or double-tap to open Google Wallet.

It came up because my local transit card (Presto, Ontario) can be added to Google Wallet as of Tuesday.

An annoying quirk (Presto is all annoying quirks) is it can exist once either on my phone or my watch. And my card will be garbage once it's transferred. But still, having it on my watch is a hell of a lot more convenient.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

runaway dog posted:

does anyone know how to fix this issue: whenever I start an exercise bike workout on my galaxy watch 4 it always loses my heart rate after about 2 minutes and stays lost for multiple minutes until the end of the workout where it comes back for like a minute, I've tried wearing it in every conceivable position, tight loose, inside of arm, outside, left, right, I even tried shaving the hair off of my arm in the spot where my watch is but nothing, any other work out works totally fine, it also fully reads my recovery heart rate afterwards without issue, saw a lot of people on reddit talking about it but no actual solutions. also this is a recent thing, as in the last 2 months or so, never had a problem before in the year+ I've owned it.

I switched from using strava to using samsung health to start/track exercises way back when I was having this issue and it seemed to go away. If you're already using samsung health, idk :(

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

WearOS Strava has a dumb long-standing bug where like ... it won't track distance if you have it set up to auto start/pause. You can just disable that feature and it works fine. The Strava website automatically adjusts for pauses anyway.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

sourdough posted:

I switched from using strava to using samsung health to start/track exercises way back when I was having this issue and it seemed to go away. If you're already using samsung health, idk :(

I do use samsung health, doesn't matter I threw it into a dumpster on my way out, today it just slowly went from resting to like 90 where it would cut in and out repeatedly and when it came back it just said 90-100 when I can put my finger on my neck and feel my bpm way higher than 100

thanks for trying to help though.

edit: wow whats up with all the people selling watch 5s with broken sensor ports as "like new open box"? did they change the definition of like new when I wasn't looking?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 11, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

minusX posted:

Pixel Minimalist face just disappeared for me and I remembered the above.

Play Services says I have no subscription for the app but I did pay $3.26 for Premium back in Jan '23.

Can they just yank the app for me like that? Willing to make a ruckus with Google if there's a point to it - but have no idea how this kind of poo poo works. Seems to be I've already bought premium so WTF, etc

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

v1ld posted:

Pixel Minimalist face just disappeared for me and I remembered the above.

Play Services says I have no subscription for the app but I did pay $3.26 for Premium back in Jan '23.

Can they just yank the app for me like that? Willing to make a ruckus with Google if there's a point to it - but have no idea how this kind of poo poo works. Seems to be I've already bought premium so WTF, etc

It disappeared suddenly last night for me, too, but I was able to redownload it this morning from the Play Store. I really need to find a viable alternative for it at this point.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I didn't want to risk any shady poo poo getting on my phone on account of that watchface so I removed it all together. I cant seem to find the name of the one I'm using now but I kinda prefer it, even though it doesn't have the new shortcuts (that I barely used anyway)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, good point on not running code from suddenly shady company.

RIP watch face.

The original dev is such a good guy. I had a longish email chain with him about weather syncing. Good dude who wanted a good app.

E: Deleted the app from my phone - it's no longer in the app store, but a variant named the same except for "Pro" is now there for $1.49, no reviews.

I went to the store to see when the last code update was on my phone, actually worried about shady code injection now. But with the app disappearing I can no longer tell when it was last updated.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 14, 2023

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

v1ld posted:

Yeah, good point on not running code from suddenly shady company.

RIP watch face.

The original dev is such a good guy. I had a longish email chain with him about weather syncing. Good dude who wanted a good app.

E: Deleted the app from my phone - it's no longer in the app store, but a variant named the same except for "Pro" is now there for $1.49, no reviews.

I went to the store to see when the last code update was on my phone, actually worried about shady code injection now. But with the app disappearing I can no longer tell when it was last updated.

It was renamed "Minimal Watch Face" because they didn't want to use the name "Pixel"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.benoitletondor.pixelminimalwatchface

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What's the goon zeitgeist recommendation for a smartwatch or hybrid smartwatch whose primary goal is to tell the time, show calendar reminders, and only listen to basic OK Google commands if a button is pressed?

I don't want to wear it while sleeping, I don't really need fitness/wellness tracking, and I'd like it to look like a regular old watch. Doesn't need to be waterproof as long as it can resist occasional rain or a splash.

I'm totally down to buy used/older designs. I've got a Pixel 6A and honestly I just want something that makes it easier for me to remind myself to do stuff, keep a task log, that sort of thing. Less a life-centering thing, more an ADHD functionality tool. It'd be nice if it maxes at $200ish, I'd rather have a fabric or metal mesh band but I'm OK buying those third-party.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MJP posted:

What's the goon zeitgeist recommendation for a smartwatch or hybrid smartwatch whose primary goal is to tell the time, show calendar reminders, and only listen to basic OK Google commands if a button is pressed?

I don't want to wear it while sleeping, I don't really need fitness/wellness tracking, and I'd like it to look like a regular old watch. Doesn't need to be waterproof as long as it can resist occasional rain or a splash.

I'm totally down to buy used/older designs. I've got a Pixel 6A and honestly I just want something that makes it easier for me to remind myself to do stuff, keep a task log, that sort of thing. Less a life-centering thing, more an ADHD functionality tool. It'd be nice if it maxes at $200ish, I'd rather have a fabric or metal mesh band but I'm OK buying those third-party.

I've got a used pixel watch I don't know what to do with. I know some people didn't like it but I really liked the watch and only stopped using it because Google gave me a pw2

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

minusX posted:

It was renamed "Minimal Watch Face" because they didn't want to use the name "Pixel"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.benoitletondor.pixelminimalwatchface

Thanks! Last update to the Android app was Oct 10th. Wonder why the watch face was yoinked yesterday.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I got a Pixel watch to mainly serve as ADHD brain support, and it's served me pretty well. I haven't regretted the purchase at all, and that was at full, have-to-import-it-because-Google-hates-New-Zealand price (not rich, just stupid). If you can pick one up for cheap, it might do the trick.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

v1ld posted:

Thanks! Last update to the Android app was Oct 10th. Wonder why the watch face was yoinked yesterday.
Mine wants to update still and I haven't let it, might've happened from an update that applied?

cptn_dr posted:

I got a Pixel watch to mainly serve as ADHD brain support, and it's served me pretty well. I haven't regretted the purchase at all, and that was at full, have-to-import-it-because-Google-hates-New-Zealand price (not rich, just stupid). If you can pick one up for cheap, it might do the trick.
What do you use it for to help? I might hurt my ADHD with the number of Notifications I let go to it, so I'm trying to doctor that down but not sure if I'm missing out with something else.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mainly to cut down on the number of times I check my phone. If I can look at my wrist and see what the notification is without having to pull my phone from my pocket and unlock it, that makes me less likely to get distracted by all the other poo poo that my phone makes me do. Calendar notifications and task reminders that I can see at a glance (again, without having to pick up the infinite distraction machine) are also really helpful for keeping them in my brain and on my radar.

Obviously there's analogue ways that I could do that too, but the watch suits me in that it's the path of least resistance while still reducing distraction.

Also the crown is useful as a slightly tactile fidget tool for when I'm in long meetings, but that's sort of an added bonus.

I don't know if you post in the ADHD thread, but the goons there might also have some useful insight.

Edit: Also, I have Always On Display turned on, which means it's not lighting up and grabbing my attention every time I move my wrist. So most of the time it's just functioning like an actual watch, until I'm actively using it to check a notification.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 15, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MJP posted:

I started off with Mobvoi TicWatches - I have both an E2 and an E3. You might check out TicWatches as they're more likely to be in your price range and sounds like a decent one would serve your purposes. I currently use a Galaxy Watch 5 as my primary watch, and have my grumbles about Mobvoi, but the E3 was pretty good when it was my daily driver. One of my gripes is that Mobvoi tends to be slow with updates (my E3 is still on Wear OS 2.0, despite a long series of promises it would be updated to Wear OS 3.0), and their English internationalization is pretty weak, but it performed well otherwise.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I'm shilling this watch face
carbon neon
has a great always on mode
makes your watch look like a tokyo flash. plus you can flex your clock reading skills, that or be early or late to a lot of stuff.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 16, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

runaway dog posted:

I'm shilling this watch face
carbon neon
has a great always on mode
makes your watch look like a tokyo flash. plus you can flex your clock reading skills, that or be early or late to a lot of stuff.

Bummer... looked totally up my alley, but mysteriously not available on my 5 Pro. Last updated in 2019 and the dev's let his website hosting lapse.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Analog? Bosh, flimshaw

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

Bummer... looked totally up my alley, but mysteriously not available on my 5 Pro. Last updated in 2019 and the dev's let his website hosting lapse.

I'm using it on my 5 non pro, I always have trouble trying to install it unless I do it directly from the watch.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I just bought a fitbit charge 6 and it seemingly will not sync to my iphone 11 no matter what I try. All the watch shows is a message to download the fitbit mobile app, which I have, and have an account. Most of the time it makes it to the 4 digit code screen, but it never recognizes the code and it times out. Restarting the watch doesn't work, the website says you press a button on the charger usb cable 3 times or unplug it and plug it back in 3 times, and that does nothing. Did I just get a lemon or is the bluetooth on my phone bad? I don't use it that often but it doesn't seem to have any problems otherwise

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This really isn't the right thread for this question as it's not a WearOS device.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
If I only want a relatively basic smartwatch that allows me to check my notifications, set timers, and use Google/Samsung Pay, is $100 for a new Galaxy Watch 4 Classic a good deal, or is it too obsolete? I've already read about the trash battery life, but I don't care about the sleep tracking, so I can just charge it overnight.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Quixzlizx posted:

If I only want a relatively basic smartwatch that allows me to check my notifications, set timers, and use Google/Samsung Pay, is $100 for a new Galaxy Watch 4 Classic a good deal, or is it too obsolete? I've already read about the trash battery life, but I don't care about the sleep tracking, so I can just charge it overnight.

i'm still rocking my gw4 (non-classic) and it does all of those things very well. I can still typically get over a day on a charge.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Might be too much work but you can trade in a 100 dollar gw4 to samsung for 200 trade in credit and bring a gw6 down to around 100ish. Last time I looked anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I think the Galaxy Watch 6 deal is over, now it's $145 of trade-in value toward a Watch 5, which seems less worth it.

Edit: Actually, it said the deal was expired on SD, but I was able to find it on Samsung's site. So it'd end up being $130 for a Watch 6 (non-classic). taking into account the price of the 4 Classic.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 24, 2023