Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Vidmaster posted:

My copy gets here tomorrow supposedly, so I'll at least be able to give it a skim then!

So having only played Torment and skimmed some 2e books, as well as only skimming these, I’d say my impression is mostly positive overall. The artwork is great, and the content that’s there is pretty good, but I wish there was more of it and it went deeper into important stuff like the factions and the different parts of the Outlands and gate towns. The core book is only 100 pages, so that’s not a lot of room for this massive setting. The planar character options seem very limited and not that exciting, which is my biggest disappointment. The adventure seems cool, and the bestiary has some neat stuff in it besides all the staples. Being fairly new to 5e and not having DMed it yet, I can’t really weigh in on whether this would be super useful over just getting the 2e planescape content, but I’m happy with it as an addition to my small selection of 5e books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay that's actually kind of a killer for me because lol naked retconning. People were annoyed with Faction War because the follow-up never got published, not because it was a bad idea on its face.

lol and lmao at bringing Darkwood back and treating the Fated like they're legitimate in the environment of 2023.

hey! they finally made Lhar CG and removed Darkwood's utterly inexplicable CG status. he's CN now instead of NE like he should be, but hey. he's also weirdly an archmage instead of a cleric or something but maybe that's a limit of the existing pool of 5e npc monster statblocks they pulled from. and least it correctly labels them as Bullies and Warlords and spends most of the description talking about them doing financial crimes. now clearly not having any insert quotes calling the harmonium fascists is clearly the bigger whiff!!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

re: Magic Item chat, I have a strong desire to catalogue and maybe reconfigure the Baldur's Gate 3 list of magic items and just backport them to 5e. Will need to figure out which need attunement and what may or may not work with 5e rules as written, but it would be a fun project to reverse engineer since its one of the best examples of magic items being available across the whole spectrum we have.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay that's actually kind of a killer for me because lol naked retconning. People were annoyed with Faction War because the follow-up never got published, not because it was a bad idea on its face.

lol and lmao at bringing Darkwood back and treating the Fated like they're legitimate in the environment of 2023.

Fated are portrayed as assholes. Like here is their primary entry.

Planescape posted:

Fated
Who Take All They Can and More

Factol: Duke Rowan Darkwood

Headquarters: Hall of Records

Aligned Plane: Ysgard

Members: Bullies, moguls, warlords

Epithet
: Takers

To the Fated, the multiverse belongs to those with the strength to take it. Destiny and the will of the gods are poor excuses used by folk too weak to go after what they want—everyone makes their own fate. At the same time, nothing’s free. It takes work, dedication, and sometimes blood to seize greatness.

There’s no inherent malice in the Fated’s philosophy. It takes more than material wealth to provide for one’s needs, and not everything worth having can be taken by force. Respect and happiness, for example, must be earned (or bought). Still, Takers are branded as callous and selfish, if not outright feared, and they never offer assistance willingly unless it benefits them in some way.

Factol Rowan Darkwood (chaotic neutral, human archmage) holds the reins of the Fated in his tightfisted grip. “Duke” Darkwood, as he’s sometimes known, is a commanding presence whose every step is an implacable stride toward his next prize. With brutal efficiency, he exploits the financial stranglehold his faction has over Sigil, richly rewarding informants for secrets that might give the Fated leverage over the other factions.

Faction Attire. Takers dress in ostentatious outfits marked by heavy embroidery. They sport elaborate hairstyles, and each member carries an hourglass of golden sand—a reminder that time is money.

Role in Sigil. Secure in the Hall of Records, the Fated cement their role as the tax collectors of the Cage. Their ruthless debt collection efforts and aggressive foreclosures earn them a heaping share of animosity. They have bad blood with the Harmonium, who view the Fated as wrongheaded and dangerous, and Factol Darkwood and Factol Montgomery of the Society of Sensation are bitter rivals.

Yusin posted:

Oh also I have yet to look at it, but a new thing called the Adventure Atlas: The Mortuary is out on Beyond. From what someone else it's a dive on the Heralds of Dust and their base.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/sourcebooks/adventure-atlas-the-mortuary

To expand on this now that I have read it. It's a full fleshing out of the Heralds of Dust, with adventure hooks, and a look at the Mortuary as a potential adventure location. I would not be surprised to see more of these for other planescape factions. Skall gets an unique statblock here instead of using the Lich one, so I guess if other factions get one their Factol will get a unique one too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Reveilled posted:

I find making up items is almost always more fun in play than giving out items from the books. Here's some magic items from my game:

Generally I like just winging it with items, I find when you make them up yourself it's a lot harder to gently caress up your campaign since you know how they work and are more likely to remember players have them and plan accordingly.

Your "Knight's Gift" should explicitly define what a Knight move is. And also indicate that the move cannot end in another creature's space or inside a physical object, etc.

Your Ring of Hatred's effects are poorly defined and hard to understand.

I don't understand why you mention a "week" in your Ring of Hatred's description, since according to the description as I understand it, nearly anyone taking a long rest with it on will be dead within two hours because when sleeping they aren't pursuing a target. 1d4 hit points a minute, at an average of 2.5 will kill someone with 200 HP in 80 minutes. If they don't sleep, they'll take levels of exhaustion and die.

If they are restrained, say, by fellow party members, is that considered forcibly pursuing a target? What does "forcibly pursuing a target" mean, and how long after donning the ring does it take before the character starts bleeding? One minute? It doesn't say. Does succeeding in the Wisdom save prevent the bleeding effect? It doesn't say. The ring doesn't seem to grant any special knowledge over where their target is. Does going in the wrong direction, even with the intent to kill their target count as not pursuing the target, because they're going farther away? I also don't understand what "internalize the ring's hatred as their own" means. Is that only until Remove Curse is cast, or does the ring permanently dictate to a player how their player feels even if the curse and ring is removed?

In other words, you probably need to clear up some things about how that works.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Zurreco posted:

That being said, the arrow you are talking about is totally fine and I'm pretty sure I've seen it used by Drow in modules. Subtle Spell could still Dispel them so they aren't without counter. The shield you are proposing is absolutely bananas broken and either it would need to be rebalanced or the DM is going to start purposefully nerfing it with doors all over the place.

I'm the dm in this situation :negative:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It sounds like it's a Ring of Staying On Topic and the negative effects kick in whenever the DM thinks the wearer is being sidetracked, hard coding this stuff would be unnecessarily restrictive in most contexts.

The "internalisation" check seems just to see if the wearer is aware the ring is influencing them or that they consider the feelings to be wholly their own.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Your "Knight's Gift" should explicitly define what a Knight move is. And also indicate that the move cannot end in another creature's space or inside a physical object, etc.

They’re workin’ on their knight moves, tryin’ to make some front page trad games news

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SpaceDrake posted:

I was annoyed at Faction War because it was a bad idea.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah Faction war was peak 90s metaplot bullshit

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I don't understand why you mention a "week" in your Ring of Hatred's description, since according to the description as I understand it, nearly anyone taking a long rest with it on will be dead within two hours because when sleeping they aren't pursuing a target. 1d4 hit points a minute, at an average of 2.5 will kill someone with 200 HP in 80 minutes. If they don't sleep, they'll take levels of exhaustion and die.

If they are restrained, say, by fellow party members, is that considered forcibly pursuing a target? What does "forcibly pursuing a target" mean, and how long after donning the ring does it take before the character starts bleeding? One minute? It doesn't say. Does succeeding in the Wisdom save prevent the bleeding effect? It doesn't say. The ring doesn't seem to grant any special knowledge over where their target is. Does going in the wrong direction, even with the intent to kill their target count as not pursuing the target, because they're going farther away? I also don't understand what "internalize the ring's hatred as their own" means. Is that only until Remove Curse is cast, or does the ring permanently dictate to a player how their player feels even if the curse and ring is removed?

In other words, you probably need to clear up some things about how that works.

Nah, not really. I'm not publishing a third party compendium of magic items for other people to use who need to work out what I meant in my absence. My players have all played chess, they don't need me to explain what a knight's move is to them.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I've been giving short shrift to one of my players and I want to change that. They're playing an artificer but explicitly modeling them off Milo Minderbinder from Catch-22: a proto-venture capitalist who goes along with the heroes, but will always prioritize expanding his syndicate above other objectives, because what's good for the syndicate is good for everyone!

Some of the short shrift has been because we're playing the Dragonlance campaign and, well, once they get sent out to the Northern Wastes, there's not a lot of business happening. But everyone loves the campaign and I intend to adapt the old modules so that it can continue, and I'm hoping to include more ways for this character to be played to his personality.

I've drafted some rules to that effect, based on some of the optional downtime stuff in Xanathar's. Making a play for the syndicate will involve Deception, Investigation and Persuasion, and depending on the result of the rolls, there will be plot hooks and complications. But I don't want to just be like "you make 100g!" as a success and "oh, no leads this time" or "you lost half your investment" as a failure/complication, I want it to be more like "you got a hint that Silvanesti cloth is in even lower supply since the evacuation, so you bought up a bunch and started trying to sell it, but it turns out demand is also low because wearing Silvanesti cloth makes you conspicuous if the dragon armies invade, so you've got a lot invested in something you don't have a way of moving right now."

Is there a good resource out there for this kind of economy play (in D&D or any TTRPG, really) so that I'm not trying to improvise appropriate economics at the table?

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
The Acquisitions Incorporated rulebook, maybe?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
You could use a loose step system;

What is your players overall goal?
What four quadrants are going to support that goal?
Then each quadrant is going to be supported by 4 smaller steps.

The smaller steps are where you can be fluid, moving them forward or back based on the rolls or decisions during normal play.

Player makes a good charisma roll during downtime while they observe the trade in the market.

Player moves one step closer to the goal because they've observed high demand for elvish cloth because people are worried the war will make it scarce.

Next session the party fails to convince the city's leadership that the war is a serious threat leading to the city becoming more complacent and less worried about scarcity, the player loses a step on the progress track.

Each step could be non-liquid assets but if you player wants it to be related to actual money, give them an option to cash out early and remove a step of progress for 100 or so.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 18, 2023

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Thanks. I did glance through Acquisitions Incorporated before (I have Beyond access to it through a different campaign) but the main thing I took away was that it expects the entire party to be in on the business, not for it to be one character's side story. But there may be usable stuff in there if I dig further.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Introduce a Resident Evil 4 style obscure traveling merchant. He can sell raw mats that the Artificer can use to craft for the party but you can only afford the mats if the whole party is in on it. He also always carries chocolate covered cotton.

Your description of the player does put me on edge as a DM. It sounds like a perfect storm for a player to completely gently caress over the whole party in exchange for in game money just to say "it's what my character would do!" People tend to not like being used and/or manipulated, especially not by a teammate.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Your description of the player does put me on edge as a DM. It sounds like a perfect storm for a player to completely gently caress over the whole party in exchange for in game money just to say "it's what my character would do!" People tend to not like being used and/or manipulated, especially not by a teammate.

Understandable, and I'd probably say the same. But to be clear, everyone's really good at separating IC and OOC: we're eight months into this campaign and the artificer is legitimately every player's favorite character. In character, they love grumbling about him, and he acts like he would gently caress everyone over for gold, but he never has. Out of character, the other players love when he does something that's just perfectly slimy, while his player delights in finding very specific ways for him to convince himself to play along with whatever the others are doing. It's a great dynamic.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Is there anywhere online people talk about their characters? I'd imagine there's more build advice than RP advice out there but I'd still be interested in reading about both and don't see posts gaining any traction in the main threads and subreddits. There's the RPG stories threads but those seem better suited for standouts on the good and bad extremes. Is that sort of thing usually contained to your group's discord?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
If you want feedback on your character in any capacity :justpost:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

You'll have to try hard to do worse than that one guy who was playing a naked wizard at his LGS because he wanted to roleplay Diogenes of Sinope.

There's so the gaming stories thread for stuff like that.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I guess I'm not looking for specific feedback, this time anyway. I just like reading about what other people are playing and seeing what groups come together and how they do. Which can run into module spoiler territory I guess.

Alright, :justpost:ing, sorry for length.

Our DM just paused our pf2e campaign to start us on 5e. Gatewalkers had been too "on-rails" for him and he was getting bored that our characters were doing the same things every fight and getting our asses kicked every fight. Not sure swapping to 5e is how to shake either of those up, but he knows it better since he ran a few campaigns during covid, and feels more comfortable freestyling and shaking things up on the go. We're also on a D&D high with 2/3 of us playing Baldurs Gate 3.

DM's wife kicked off character creation with a changeling druid named like a fairy princess, then our guy who tanks in every game we play from pathfinder to Across the Obelisk rolled a warforged monk for a minor change of pace. The next few players were an eladrin archfey warlock, a high elf death cleric of talona who said (only slightly jokingly) that he would not be healing, and a goliath paladin. So I ended up making a satyr wizard with sleight of hand, planning on going illusionist since its something I can't play (imaginatively) in a CRPG. Once our characters were locked in, our DM had his wife shift from the changeling druid to her usual deep gnome gremlin, making her a rogue instead of her standard barbarian she's played in a few campaigns.

We played the first session and it went well. My satyr and the eladrin left the faewild due to the hags battling for territory in the witchlight adventure intro, and we found and activated the warforged in a monastery ruin. Ran into the others in town as we started Phandelver from the intro box I think. It was a bit awkward at first as we were put in the spotlight to roleplay our meetings when our pf2e campaign was 95% hack and slash.

Once the adventure kicked off the cleric immediately had to go back on his word and heal me because my wizard got crit one shot by a crossbow in one of the first attacks of the game. The only other "death" was when the goliath threw the rogue into a room with a half dozen goblins (she crit on the attack, it was pretty cool) and she had to eat a round of attacks before the rest of us got in there. We then stabilized and fought them off. The surviving leader came back with a hostage so I used silent image to cover the hostage in rock since the party was absolutely going to attack during this standoff. I cast shield to survive his enraged counterattack (DM wanted to test my concentration on the illusion) and we finished them off.

Ended the first session there and this weekend we'll be getting a 7th party member, a dwarf fighter with an arsenal of axes. With the cleric wanting to mix it up with his channel divinity once he has it, I told the warlock we should go blade pact and bladesinger for a full melee party.

So I'm going illusionist. I plan to discuss with the DM ahead of time the effects of my illusion spells so there's no surprises or arguing since its ambiguous and we'll want to keep things moving at 7 players. Warlock is going chain pact and asked for a special familiar the DM granted permission for. The paladin is going Ancients wholly for speak to animals and I'm curious how she'll do because the DM is her brother and will absolutely strictly hold her to her oaths. She hasn't taken them yet but would have unintentionally broken them twice in the first night from what I could tell. The monk wants to go path of mercy since we are low on healing. The cleric has already gotten the DM to let him do herbalism + alchemy to make healing potions (& poisons...) for us since they are so expensive and he's already adopting some Baldurs Gate 3 gameplay changes. I'm not sure what the rogues plans are but she's a happy go lucky bloodthirsty gremlin, her husband has her characters charge in whenever we waffle too long about what to do. The dwarf is a veteran player who loves roleplaying so we'll see how he fits in.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 19, 2023

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I hope you have a blast, but switching to 5e will not increase the variability of your decisions in combat.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Anyone have any resources for playing with small children (in my case, 5.5 and 8)? Specifically, I'm looking to see if anyone has any pre-made adventures I could run my kids through to dip our toes in D&D 5E. My wife and I both played a lot before we had kids (Pathfinder/4E/5E), but I've never really DM'd and certainly not for unexperienced players like this. We have the three core books, plenty of dice, and I think I can handle character creation with them, as well as the actual playing mechanics, but the encounter design is where I feel most lacking. Bonus points if it is something that could easily reskin to a Thanksgiving themed adventure (what is a dragon but a really angry giant turkey?)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Klungar posted:

Anyone have any resources for playing with small children (in my case, 5.5 and 8)? Specifically, I'm looking to see if anyone has any pre-made adventures I could run my kids through to dip our toes in D&D 5E. My wife and I both played a lot before we had kids (Pathfinder/4E/5E), but I've never really DM'd and certainly not for unexperienced players like this. We have the three core books, plenty of dice, and I think I can handle character creation with them, as well as the actual playing mechanics, but the encounter design is where I feel most lacking. Bonus points if it is something that could easily reskin to a Thanksgiving themed adventure (what is a dragon but a really angry giant turkey?)

For kids, I would really recommend the 3rd party Humblewood setting/campaign book. You can adjust the adult themes of the story up and down, ie. You knock people out instead of killing them, etc. The art is super cute and a setting where they can galavant around a giant enchanted forest as bird or animal people or whatever is straight outta Redwall and perfect for kids.

https://humblewood.com/pages/about-humblewood

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Klungar posted:

I ran this https://www.amazon.com/STEAMFORGED-Animal-Adventures-Starter-SFAA-SS/dp/B08HWHWLKR/ for some friends and think it would be great for kids.

Five and eight are fairly young though and you might want to try something simplified like . .
What's the board game, mouse gard?

Edit: mouse guard is a thing but I was thinking of

https://www.amazon.com/Plaid-Hat-Games-PH1100-Mystics/dp/B009TNOF9G/

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 20, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i dove right in on lmop with my 7 year old and she loved it. my 6 year old didnt have the focus for it and now she's 7 and my older 8, and the younger one still doesn't care for it. it's very dependent on the kid. some 5-7 year olds will thrive, some as old as teenagers won't have the attention span for it

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mederlock posted:

Humblewood

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Animal Adventures

Thanks, I'll take a look!

I know the kids are young (especially my youngest), but my wife will be playing a PC as well and we are looking to focus on the imaginative RP side of things than combat side of things anyway. We took them to the D&D movie earlier this year and I've reading them The Hobbit at bedtime for the last couple months, so I think they'll be in a good place to give it a try. Even if people just have some generic not-too-difficult-but-still-interesting combat encounters for Level 1-3 characters, I can probably take it from there. Can't imagine this exercise will last more than a session or two as we are just looking for something to do over the Thanksgiving break as we won't be traveling like we normally do.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Had a good session zero last night and very excited to run again
Also, what's the underdark equivalent of a Lion? They're gonna be fighting circus folk and I wanted a lion tamer but under dark.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Maybe a Gray Render or Deep Rothe? Gray renders are pretty neat, they take an oddly protective stance towards some individuals, so maybe a tamer has one as a potential “pet”, that respond harshly to anyone else.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Pcs are level 3

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Ominous Jazz posted:

Pcs are level 3

Oof, maybe a displacer beast then?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

Oof, maybe a displacer beast then?

That's the right answer

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I could see Riding Lizards being used in Underdark-esque circuses.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Everywhere in the underdark started importing panthers after the legend of drizzt started spreading around.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

Had a good session zero last night and very excited to run again
Also, what's the underdark equivalent of a Lion? They're gonna be fighting circus folk and I wanted a lion tamer but under dark.

Grick maybe?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I ended up going with a displacer beast and a reskinned nilbog drow that rides it. I think that's going to be a unique challenge. I just have to figure out where this fight is.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The carnie is pissed at the PCs for exposing his scam, he was charging people for two animals but he only had one displacer beast.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The carnie is pissed at the PCs for exposing his scam, he was charging people for two animals but he only had one displacer beast.

Obligatory that's not how they work, actually.

:goonsay:

bagrada posted:

Everywhere in the underdark started importing panthers after the legend of drizzt started spreading around.

Just a whole bunch of cheap, imported figurines of wandrous power.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have a mini-panther IRL, myself. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pollyanna posted:

I have a mini-panther IRL, myself. :smug:

I know. I have avatars on.