Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Breaking news: scientists uncover new shocking fact: ippo is kinda stupid actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Bisse posted:

It’s also kind of dumb because weight classes. This man, who weighs 73,4kg and is tall, punches so hard, that you, man who weighs 73,4kg and is shorter thus likely having more muscle mass to compensate, could not possibly match it.

yeah but all that weight just went to his dick

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

FutureCop posted:

I've probably mentioned it before (EDIT I absolutely have), but I've always been annoyed with Kamogawa when it came to the Date fight where he just kept hammering in the point that a champion is some sort of otherworldly opponent with much heavier punches than any challenger could ever muster: Ippo absolutely could've won if he was just in a better mental state and didn't view Date as some sort of unstoppable magical being that he wasn't worthy to fight. Hell, it wasn't even Kamogawa: Takamura kept putting Ippo down as well constantly. For god's sake, it's one thing to be cautious and humble, but aren't you supposed to be on your fighter's side as a hype man, in a way? I can't find it right now, but I remember watching one of those 'coach reacts to Ippo' vids and even he was calling out how negative Ippo's coaches were being when they should be supporting him to stay positive.

EDIT Sure enough, just check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8M3Wt8cOk at around 4:40

There's also the fact that it only exists for that one fight. When Ippo's the champion, Kamogawa doesn't tell him to keep in mind the weight of the champion's fists or anything like that - the coach tells Ippo to approach every fight as though he's the challenger, and acts like Ippo is loving Up every time he tries to act like he's actually the champion.

And after every title defense everyone marvels at how humble and modest Ippo is, and concludes that Ippo failing to recognize that he's actually the champion is just a personality trait of is.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

There's also the fact that it only exists for that one fight. When Ippo's the champion, Kamogawa doesn't tell him to keep in mind the weight of the champion's fists or anything like that - the coach tells Ippo to approach every fight as though he's the challenger, and acts like Ippo is loving Up every time he tries to act like he's actually the champion.

And after every title defense everyone marvels at how humble and modest Ippo is, and concludes that Ippo failing to recognize that he's actually the champion is just a personality trait of is.

uhhh maybe it's just my memory but i thought the whole "the champions fists are heavy" thing shows up a lot.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Rubellavator posted:

uhhh maybe it's just my memory but i thought the whole "the champions fists are heavy" thing shows up a lot.

oh yeah. it shows up all the time

except when the champ is going to have a tough fight, like Aoki's title challenge or all of Ippo's title defenses. people only talk about all the magic champ powers when the series is trying to hype up the champ as a super extra badass. if Morikawa wants the readers to think the champ is going to get chumped by frog dude or Wally, Kamogawa suddenly doesn't think it's all that special to be a champ

Vizuyos fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 16, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 13 hours!)

i wonder if getting a Pro license is really that easy.
you just show up, and do a little spar in the ring for a few minutes?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

no there's a written test too

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

also the forest survival game

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GateOfD posted:

i wonder if getting a Pro license is really that easy.
you just show up, and do a little spar in the ring for a few minutes?

You are graded on how well you do.
Hear a FAQ about it for how it works in Japan.
https://www.asianboxing.info/japanese-boxing-faq.html

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Substantially more pages than last time and no break next week. Things are looking up.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
those two are just having fun out there

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Back to back two pages spreads...feels good.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

"Makunochi didn't have this when he was active"

needs to be said over and over against anyone else he spars

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this rocks

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress yeah I love The Fighting

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Started hearing this as I finished the last page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxvJqXaJFbI

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

next chapter
Ippo: "But I already predicted this counter strategy attempt from Mashiba"

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

god drat. i would love to see this animated.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Next chapter ippo pulls a gun just like Rosario would

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Forgive me coach. Just this once, I must go all out *demon wings sprout from Mashiba's back*

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
gently caress, this rules lol

KidDynamite posted:

god drat. i would love to see this animated.

IIRC, though someone here might know better, discotek said the blurays were selling well

It'd be cool if that sent some sort of message, maybe how we are all dying to see stupid poo poo like the Wally fights

Wally was murdered and I was proven right

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
When it's two boxers doing a boxing, the flow from panel to panel conveys such a clear and concise sense of movement, it's drat near unmatched in the comics industry, god drat what a chapter

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Theory: Mashiba's strategy is to switch to being the aggressor and controlling the range but at a middle distance where his long arms don't disadvantage him, maybe something really tricky taking advantage of the squared up stance like right jabs and left uppers.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Namnesor posted:

When it's two boxers doing a boxing, the flow from panel to panel conveys such a clear and concise sense of movement, it's drat near unmatched in the comics industry, god drat what a chapter

The 1st panels of mashiba throwing a left straight (maybe a jab) and the next panel of ippo crouched down having charged in instantly under the left were outstanding, just some of the best or on par with the best work of the series. poo poo looks rad as hell.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Namnesor posted:

Let's just fasttrack all of this nonsense; the next evolution of the Dempsey Roll is a gun.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Was going back through my old posts itt to find something and this was a trip

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Morikawa really makes wearing headgear look cool

There's gonna be a moment in the Rosario fight where Mashiba thinks fighting Ippo imitating Rosario was harder than Rosario, maybe before the fouling.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

Morikawa really makes wearing headgear look cool

There's gonna be a moment in the Rosario fight where Mashiba thinks fighting Ippo imitating Rosario was harder than Rosario, maybe before the fouling.

Calling it now he's gonna take out all his aggression against Ippo on Rosario and just body the guy to (near) death.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sextro posted:

Theory: Mashiba's strategy is to switch to being the aggressor and controlling the range but at a middle distance where his long arms don't disadvantage him, maybe something really tricky taking advantage of the squared up stance like right jabs and left uppers.

He's lowered his stance meaning he shortened his reach but increased his speed. Also, his center of gravity lowering gives him more power and stability. Mashiba was always wild and unstable but this makes it more like he is an orthodox boxer. It would put the other side in a panic if they think he is cool and collected. Also in ippo orthodox boxers are written to be much stronger than gimmick ones. Ippo right now is becoming stronger cause he is learning all the orthodox styles.

This should let him, yeah, square up closer than his usual style and fight against an Ippo-style in-fighter.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
The shoe making the big step in the second-to-last panel has to be Ippo's, right? I think/hope the big reaction from everyone in the last panel is to Ippo rocking Mashiba's poo poo with a counter.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

one important development in the "everyone realizing that ippo is fit to fight again until Ippo himself does" storyline that has to happen is that he's got to absolutely get dumpstered by something, so that everyone can understand that he can take hits real good and get back up again too. Maybe Mashiba just floors him here lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Babe Magnet posted:

one important development in the "everyone realizing that ippo is fit to fight again until Ippo himself does" storyline that has to happen is that he's got to absolutely get dumpstered by something, so that everyone can understand that he can take hits real good and get back up again too. Maybe Mashiba just floors him here lol

when mashiba's coach called out to stop his attack this chapter i thought it was him thinking "wait ippo retired due to brain damage, we probably shouldnt loving smack his skull around" but no, he noticed that ippo was going to counter that poo poo lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah same

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Shindragon posted:

I remember the super early chapters Kamogawa was like we aren't gonna teach you to dodge or any of that poo poo. Just gonna build you up so you can take hits like Mike Tyson.

God this series is that old.

Which is funnier because Tyson was actually a pretty good defensive boxer, there’s at least one famous clip of him casually dodging a flurry of punches during his career

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYoZYvsYmL4

lol this looks like the most infuriating thing ever

edit: and once again now i'm just watching tyson atomize dudes for twenty minutes

Patware fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 26, 2023

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i basically can't parse real boxing at all unless it's mike tyson deleting someone. then i can tell what happened.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Got a chance to stop by Morikawa's IRL gym today!

View from the entrance floor, the second floor also had a mat space where people were training. It's worth noting that this gym seems to be exclusively for pros and aspiring pros. I believe they also run a youth program.

There's Ippo paraphanelia all over the place.

Got a picture with the man himself too.

The lady at the front desk told me to check out the manhole covers that they designed for the city a short walk away from the gym.

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 26, 2023

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Wow that’s really cool. Jealous!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

canoshiz posted:

Got a chance to stop by Morikawa's IRL gym today!

View from the entrance floor, the second floor also had a mat space where people were training. It's worth noting that this gym seems to be exclusively for pros and aspiring pros. I believe they also run a youth program.

There's Ippo paraphanelia all over the place.

Got a picture with the man himself too.

The lady at the front desk told me to check out the manhole covers that they designed for the city a short walk away from the gym.

thats loving sick

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hah thats awesome, what a cool thing to visit. I like that the takamura statue is all lovely welds and stuff on it, really nails it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Are any of Morikawa’s boxers good