Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Was the streamer a cowboy called Arcus and wasx the game ninja gaiden?

Haha I think it actually was. It was Ninja Gaiden at least. That guy is clearly speedrunning away from something in his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Caesar Saladin posted:

its okay until you replay the nes ducktales endlessly every day for nine months of your life, which is really the endgame

yeah? All competition is that stupid if you want to be the best

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice Van My Man posted:

I saw my kid start falling down the rabbit hole of weird speed running stuff and had to explain to him about how YouTube will try to suck you into poo poo for deranged loons and convince you it's popular by making it everything you see, but it's actually just a subset of weirdos and no one in the real world cares. He seemed to figure it out and drifted away from it without me having to ban anything.

I mean I used nicer words than that. It is kind of scary when your kid wants to show you their glitched run of a Sonic stage.

Imagine a non gamer, non internet savvy parent trying to explain that to a kid :rip:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
caught my kid trying to juggle his baseballs and had to explain to the little freak that it's a useless skill for deranged loons. (he kept saying something about "fun"?)
he's back to practicing his fastball again thank god, now he can win some games in a real sport

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
My kids will be allowed to play video games, but they will be forbidden from discussing them on the internet.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think I remember anyone playing sports that resulted in piss bottles and atrophied limbs.

Every time someone tries to tell me video games as sports is legitimate it indicates that now is a good time to leave them to themselves.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't think I remember

Did you play football and get brain damage? Maybe that's why you have trouble with your memory

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't think I remember anyone playing sports that resulted in piss bottles and atrophied limbs.

Does Cross Fit count as a sport?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

Did you play football and get brain damage? Maybe that's why you have trouble with your memory

I wasn't never a sports person. I just think by and large people advocating e-sports are bad people and are very dumb if they think it's like a real sport.

The Moon Monster posted:

Does Cross Fit count as a sport?

Cross Fit doesn't even count as proper exercise.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
It's not a real sport unless you get cauliflower ear, ill fitting headsets to scream racial slurs at children doesn't count stop stealing sport valor you nerds

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty sure sports injuries are more common and generally more debilitating than video game related injuries. And if you're going to shift the argument to criticize the character of the players, I've got some potentially alarming news for you about the sports world.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The only people who have strong opinions that a sport isn't a "real sport" tend to be people who aren't good enough to do the sport

I remember being told skateboarding isn't a sport and now it's an Olympic one

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I guess it depends on if you see "sports" as something athletic or not. You know, something that requires a significant physical component. Googling it, this is what the internet defines "sport" as:

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

I think a lot of people look at stuff like chess, videogames etc and see it as "competitions" but not "sports" because it's just people sitting on chairs and doing the bare minimum of physical exertion.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Casual reminder that there's a very good chance your parents are boomers so your frame of reference of what constitutes good parenting might be incredibly skewed.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Oh I don't give a poo poo about sports players, I just think e-sports is even dumber. It's like comparing bad TV to tiktok people pretending to be NPCs. It's all bad, but one is just somehow dumber.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I walked my son into the forest and left him with a spear, some furs and some dried jerky. He shall seek his own destiny now

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Video games aren't a REAL hobby

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

I just think e-sports is even dumber.

it's very dumb. They have people pretending to be sportscasters, and they give the teams little jerseys like what they're doing actually matters to anybody lol. Sometimes they listen in to the players teamchat and it's exactly what you'd expect, a bunch of dull monotones from half-dead guys who never smile and can't maintain eye contact. If you want to lightly touch Death, watch interviews with players and take a drink every time they answer an interviewers question in 5 words or less. Take two if there's an awkward pause while the interviewer comes up with a follow up question that will make the Dork Elemental actually provide some content

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

it's very dumb. They have people pretending to be sportscasters, and they give the teams little jerseys like what they're doing actually matters to anybody lol. Sometimes they listen in to the players teamchat and it's exactly what you'd expect, a bunch of dull monotones from half-dead guys who never smile and can't maintain eye contact. If you want to lightly touch Death, watch interviews with players and take a drink every time they answer an interviewers question in 5 words or less. Take two if there's an awkward pause while the interviewer comes up with a follow up question that will make the Dork Elemental actually provide some content

Both the fact that you watched enough e-sports to describe this so vividly and that you're posting this on a dead website forum make you much more of a Dorkus than the acne ridden 20.y.o who's like half your age.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You know Vic, being mean to me isn't going to make your life any better

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Tbh this sounds identical to most professional sports in America, sounds like they nailed it.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I was just going to say, this reminds me of hockey players after a game, just an empty stare devoid of any signs of intelligence, rambling slighly different sentences 10 times about how the match went.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Noir89 posted:

I was just going to say, this reminds me of hockey players after a game, just an empty stare devoid of any signs of intelligence, rambling slighly different sentences 10 times about how the match went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b5IpCpeb0M

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you can enjoy e-sports all you want, go ahead, but the jerseys and everything which look like something soccer players would wear are goofy. Its funny branding stuff, like its designed so they can get energy drink sponsors. Even calling them e-sports instead of competitive video games is just silly branding. They don't have any athletic aspect at all which is like, the bare minimum for a sport. Next speedrunning will be called a sport and that's just shameful.

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 25, 2023

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Noir89 posted:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

This but about all sports.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Labeling something as a sport doesn't make it a sport.
Not all games are sports but some are.
NASCAR is not a sport.
Golf is not a sport.
NASCAR is closer than Golf, though.
Madden is closer than NASCAR.
But none of those 3 examples are actual sports.
No video games are sports. Many video games are simulations of sports.
It's a complex and stupid issue.
And just because something is in the Olympics doesn't make it a sport.
Thank you drive thru.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The worst conversations on earth are about sports and lovely dudes want to have those conversations with you constantly

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

I walked my son into the forest and left him with a spear, some furs and some dried jerky. He shall seek his own destiny now

Stop coddling your kid

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Khanstant posted:

The worst conversations on earth are about sports and lovely dudes want to have those conversations with you constantly

Have you accepted Jeezoos Khriste as yer poop and vomit?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I would rather have a long insufferable conversation with every Christian on earth than to have to hear anyone ever ask about those cowboys ever again

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

you can enjoy e-sports all you want, go ahead, but the jerseys and everything which look like something soccer players would wear are goofy. Its funny branding stuff, like its designed so they can get energy drink sponsors. Even calling them e-sports instead of competitive video games is just silly branding. They don't have any athletic aspect at all which is like, the bare minimum for a sport. Next speedrunning will be called a sport and that's just shameful.

"Athletic ability" aside, every extant sport was just a silly little game before becoming popular enough to warrant sponsors, colorful uniforms, and merchandising opportunities, you're just not used to seeing it happen in real time. It's the same reason people clock Scientology and LDS as cults but don't bat an eye at older religious sects.

At the end of the day I don't give a poo poo because I'm not going to watch either, but the fact that I avoid e-sports broadcasts for the exact same reasons I avoid regular sports broadcasts makes me think the nerds are doing a pretty admirable job with their efforts to legitimize gaming.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

people say video games are sports because they think it adds some kind of extra legitimacy to them but it doesn't, there's nothing that wrong with being a game and it doesn't make it any less valid than a sport. Like their dad is disappointed in them for not playing a sport but shut up dad, counterstrike is a sport, i'm basically a jock

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

Oh I don't give a poo poo about sports players, I just think e-sports is even dumber. It's like comparing bad TV to tiktok people pretending to be NPCs. It's all bad, but one is just somehow dumber.

E-sports and sports are dumb for the same reasons

If golf is a sport then so is starcraft

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If you participate in the rich person "sport" of dressage, where you basically just trot around on a horse in a fancy way, ancient greeks would say that you're an athlete. It's all arbitrary who cares

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If video games are sports then they can't be art, checkmate gamers

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Can they be performance art?

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

people say video games are sports because they think it adds some kind of extra legitimacy to them but it doesn't, there's nothing that wrong with being a game and it doesn't make it any less valid than a sport. Like their dad is disappointed in them for not playing a sport but shut up dad, counterstrike is a sport, i'm basically a jock

are you ok m8?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

If video games are sports then they can't be art, checkmate gamers

Sports are the purest form of improvisational theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barudak posted:

Sports are the purest form of improvisational theater.

That's deep