Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

howe_sam posted:

The Red Sox have apparently offered the head of baseball ops job to...Craig Breslow???

https://twitter.com/jcmccaffrey/status/1716981996948197684

Well have fun working for Alex Cora, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

howe_sam posted:

The Red Sox have apparently offered the head of baseball ops job to...Craig Breslow???

https://twitter.com/jcmccaffrey/status/1716981996948197684

Yep he's apparently the only guy who wants the job, lol

e. Apparently he's accepted and will be the guy:

https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/1716987207406309630

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 25, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

grain of salt because gently caress if i know what actual Baseball Front Office Guys do but Breslow is given a lot of credit for helping the Cubs develop actual pitchers for the first time in history.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well have fun working for Alex Cora, I guess

Fenwayology aside, apparently Cora's had almost no involvement in the process, and if he really did have ownership's ear to such an extent, why is he in an expiring deal?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm honestly a little offended that my dad wasn't important enough for Nick Castellanos to hit a homer.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Nah, it’s not that, Nick just didn’t know.

Sorry for your loss Kevlar.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I know statistical clustering and there's no such thing as hot and cold streaks etc. etc., but Castellanos has always had long stretches where he just feels like an automatic strikeout anytime he comes up with runners on. He happened to hit one of those the second half of the series.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
How do y'all watch full replays of past games? The only thing I'm finding on mlb.tv is audio replays which I don't want, or condensed replays. I signed up for the $4/month thing, but apparently that's only for live audio.

Like...how is this easier for NFL games than than baseball. :negative:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm honestly a little offended that my dad wasn't important enough for Nick Castellanos to hit a homer.

Nick the Stick draws strength from public announcements.

You, on the other hand, can draw strength from good and cool posters in SAS.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

No baseball from two (2) days. Unacceptable!!!!!

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

R.D. Mangles posted:

No baseball from two (2) days. Unacceptable!!!!!

That gives me two days to come up with a thread title for the GDT because I was sure I could get away with reopening last year’s thread. :v:

Also apparently the Cubs are hiring baseball analytics and science people
https://twitter.com/bleachernation/status/1716877030879604867?s=46&t=lRl8HNC2dXvuRHcXaz1cXw

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Chillmatic posted:

How do y'all watch full replays of past games? The only thing I'm finding on mlb.tv is audio replays which I don't want, or condensed replays. I signed up for the $4/month thing, but apparently that's only for live audio.

Like...how is this easier for NFL games than than baseball. :negative:

Full game? None of the archive or mlb.tv links seem to want to work for me either right now. If you just want to watch the condensed game, you can just find it on the scores page or the team's schedule and click the Wrap link and there will be a Condensed Game button.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol if you can't perfectly recreate a ballgame in your mind from the box score like Cypher in the matrix

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/FMBuster/status/1717157731931422722

People are pissed, but I don't blame the players

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red posted:

lmao at Philly Little Big League "gently caress TREA TURNER"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bandire posted:

Full game? None of the archive or mlb.tv links seem to want to work for me either right now. If you just want to watch the condensed game, you can just find it on the scores page or the team's schedule and click the Wrap link and there will be a Condensed Game button.

I can call up archived full games from this past season in the mlb.tv app, but not through the website.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Chemistry can definitely be overstated but I also do not believe a team whose best and most prominent player is Manny Machado will ever win anything.

Good thing the Padres have Tatis and Soto then. There was actually an article in the San Diego Union Tribune before the season ended about how Machado would blow off practice and show up late to things despite being the team leader and he basically called it fake news.

It's starting to come out what a meddler the Padres' owner is. He signed Machado to that monster extension even though Preller signed Bogaerts to basically replace him cause they're friends and he hired Melvin, who never got along with Preller.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It always mystifies me how many mouthbreathing fans go off like THESE GUYS ARE ALL CHOKERS, GET RID OF THEM ALL like losing a hard fought 7 game playoff series is a moral failing. Like, you are aware that the other team is also good and also doing their damnedest to win, right? They don't just like show up and win or lose based on your team's fort rolls.

Like Craig Kimbrel isn't very good but it's not because he doesn't have The Will To Win, it's because he has a very straight fastball and a knuckle curve that's hardly ever a strike so batters can just lay off it and sit on the fastball

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 25, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bandire posted:

I've watched condensed 2016 game 7 so many times and it still makes me anxious as hell, even though I know what happens.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've watched condensed 2016 game 7 so many times and it still makes me anxious as hell, even though I know what happens.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I watched the game. I know what happens. I got the worst hangover in my life because of it. And yet I can’t watch any replays cause I am still anxious that maybe they won’t win this one.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1717190651480084485

Based on the Melvin precedent, the Brewers are going to need a new manager.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

Like Craig Kimbrel isn't very good but it's not because he doesn't have The Will To Win, it's because he has a very straight fastball and a knuckle curve that's hardly ever a strike so batters can just lay off it and sit on the fastball

I honestly think the league has just kinda passed him by. In Kimbrel's prime throwing 97-100 at the top of the zone was extremely rare and most hitters wouldn't be geared for it. Nowadays though bullpen guys throwing that hard is pretty much the norm - hell there's a decent amount of starters who throw as hard/harder than Kimbrel does - and the differentiators are things like spin efficiency, tunneling, etc. A 97 meatball with little movement is ho-hum to hitters these days.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It always mystifies me how many mouthbreathing fans go off like THESE GUYS ARE ALL CHOKERS, GET RID OF THEM ALL like losing a hard fought 7 game playoff series is a moral failing. Like, you are aware that the other team is also good and also doing their damnedest to win, right? They don't just like show up and win or lose based on your team's fort rolls.

Posters here don't call for entire roster turnover, but they definitely write off opponents based almost entirely on current record/position within their division. Losing to the Diamondbacks was treated as unacceptable by several fanbases. The Rangers' losing streak included Milwaukee, Minnesota, and Arizona, but nobody paused to think maybe those were just 3 good teams.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

lmao at Philly Little Big League "gently caress TREA TURNER"
Trea Turner has a growing body of postseason disappearing acts at this point, with quite the funny trend:

Postseason OPS overall: .703 in 252 PA

WC - 1.300
DS - .759
CS - .596
WS - .429

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Trea Turner has a growing body of postseason disappearing acts at this point, with quite the funny trend:

Postseason OPS overall: .703 in 252 PA

WC - 1.300
DS - .759
CS - .596
WS - .429

Don't forget his bad defense.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He helped Castellanos break Spencer Strider so that makes him cool and good

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Milovan Drecun posted:

Posters here don't call for entire roster turnover, but they definitely write off opponents based almost entirely on current record/position within their division. Losing to the Diamondbacks was treated as unacceptable by several fanbases. The Rangers’ losing streak included Milwaukee, Minnesota, and Arizona, but nobody paused to think maybe those were just 3 good teams.
Because over 162 games those teams showed they weren’t that good. Anything can happen over a shorter series of games. (Like a losing streak in September, or the postseason)

Several fanbases treated losing to the Diamondbacks as unacceptable because their teams were better than Arizona.

What they got wrong isn’t that Arizona is just really good, it’s that being better than Arizona (or any opponent) is no guarantee of victory in 3 or 5 or 7 game series.

Fans tend to treat all sports as if they’re as deterministic as NBA playoffs when they simply aren’t.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Red posted:

No offense to the phillies fans in this thread but I hope the phillies make it to the playoffs and then eat poo poo every year if this is the content we can look forward to as a result :laffo:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Because over 162 games those teams showed they weren’t that good. Anything can happen over a shorter series of games. (Like a losing streak in September, or the postseason)

The Brewers won 92 games.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In a division so bad it made the Cubs look good.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Phillies didn't even lose to the DBacks good players, they got shut down by Brandon loving Pfaadt and a shaky bullpen

Craig Kimbrel is a baseball terrorist

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

It doesn't matter with the balanced schedule.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Red posted:

These are the songs of my people

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Phillies didn't even lose to the DBacks good players, they got shut down by Brandon loving Pfaadt and a shaky bullpen

Craig Kimbrel is a baseball terrorist

Get Ginked :smuggo:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Cubs were good :colbert: (until September)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Cubs were awful in May and September, otherwise they were pretty good!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A little May/September collapse.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

A good sandwich filling ruined by bad bread

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Not that it matters but Sean Casey isn't coming back as hitting coach. I wonder who the next Boone pal up is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Red posted:

2nd interview (the kid) is euphronius last night unironically