Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

execute them all imo (serious opinion, not hyperbole)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Farchanter posted:

I get that she has a proffer in this case, but if someone without one were to accept a plea deal and then not testify in the trials they agreed to cooperate with, what would happen to them?

That's a real question, I've been wondering how this works if one of the Trump associates who took a deal tried to play takesies-backsies.

If they violate the terms of their probation they can get thrown into prison/jail. If the State didn't dismiss with prejudice their other claims against the defendant they can also bring them back up assuming they are not barred due to double jeopardy, which they shouldn't yet at this point for this instant case.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Zotix posted:

Powell is already telling her followers that the DA extorted the guild plea.

Sure, they extorted the truth by threatening her with punishment for the crimes. I mean, how dare they!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Farchanter posted:

I get that she has a proffer in this case, but if someone without one were to accept a plea deal and then not testify in the trials they agreed to cooperate with, what would happen to them?

That's a real question, I've been wondering how this works if one of the Trump associates who took a deal tried to play takesies-backsies.

What I'm wondering is what does the prosecution do if she follows the plea deal to the letter and gives them everything they want in court, but every day after court ends she's back on the internet supporting the Big Lie.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think the first step is a court date with an angry judge who wants you to clarify if you are pleading guilty of your own free and fair volition or not.

Then Georgia is only one of a myriad of headaches for her, as she still had the dominion lawsuit, and she could still potentially have federal charges. So continuing to gently caress around definitely puts her on a path to find out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If I was escaping serious legal consequences for my part in a conspiracy to end American democracy, I would lie so low that the Dwarfs of Moria would be the only ones who could hope to find me.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ms Adequate posted:

If I was escaping serious legal consequences for my part in a conspiracy to end American democracy, I would lie so low that the Dwarfs of Moria would be the only ones who could hope to find me.

Personally I would of just of been an awesome enough to succeed in end American democracy, unlike those losers. :smugo:

But yeah, this is one of those things, where the only people who are going to get involved in it are such broken people that dealing with all the fall out, they are obviously just going to gently caress everything up. Sensible well adjusted people who don't just constantly gently caress up just chose not to be involved in any of this.

See also: Alex Jones bankruptcy trial.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Jesus III posted:

Trump should flip

Trump secretly flipped 4 years ago. All of that was a longterm sting operation. The last one who flips gets all the punishment.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Trump secretly flipped 4 years ago. All of that was a longterm sting operation. The last one who flips gets all the punishment.

The SAG strike meant the producers for America needed to move to a reality show format again, huh?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

He said he would drain the swamp. He didn't say which swamp, the time or method of draining it.

Have you noticed you don't hear "4th Dimensional Chess" uttered with regard to Trump anymore?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jesus III posted:

He said he would drain the swamp. He didn't say which swamp, the time or method of draining it.

Have you noticed you don't hear "4th Dimensional Chess" uttered with regard to Trump anymore?

Nobody actually tries to defend him either. The closest you ever see is "yes he did it and it was good actually and if you don't like it you're the problem."

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nobody actually tries to defend him either. The closest you ever see is "yes he did it and it was good actually and if you don't like it you're the problem."

That's literally describing defending him though

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
They're defending, but not really trying

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That's literally describing defending him though

When I say "defending" I mean "things that could even in theory help if you said them in a court proceeding."

"I didn't do it" is a defense. "I did it but only because I relied on bad legal advice" might be a defense or might help in mitigation. "It was great actually" is . . .not a defense and it's not an excuse. It's just a . . . Plea, effectively.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

This has to be witness tampering

Tweeting a very long-winded version of "that dude sucks and I bet his testimony against me is all lies to save himself" isn't witness tampering. Not even if it's done by a famous person with a particularly enthusiastic and aggressive fanbase.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1717210981288304917

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Which statement of Trump's is he referring to?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Nitrousoxide posted:

Follow up tweets have what he said.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When I say "defending" I mean "things that could even in theory help if you said them in a court proceeding."

"I didn't do it" is a defense. "I did it but only because I relied on bad legal advice" might be a defense or might help in mitigation. "It was great actually" is . . .not a defense and it's not an excuse. It's just a . . . Plea, effectively.

Got it. My bad for misinterpreting

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Set the precedent!! Make him spend the night in jail at the very least.

We all know he'll get the judge equivalent of a "strongly worded letter" and be back doing the exact thing within minutes of leaving the court.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Got it. My bad for misinterpreting

No worries I was speaking technically and you were speaking generally

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

The quote "because this judge is a very partisan judge with a person who's very partisan sitting alongside… perhaps even much more partisan than he is.”" specifically refers to the clerk who he has attacked before and today said that that person was rolling their eyes at him.

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1717180935647473747

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

OgNar posted:

The quote "because this judge is a very partisan judge with a person who's very partisan sitting alongside… perhaps even much more partisan than he is.”" specifically refers to the clerk who he has attacked before and today said that that person was rolling their eyes at him.

throw another fine on the pile

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

OgNar posted:

If you can't handle a non witness rolling their eyes during cross then you don't belong in the courtroom

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Farchanter posted:

as part of the deal they have to sit down and tell them everything, they tape her answering the same questions they would ask at trial. so, later on at trial, if she changes her story, they'll pull up the video and ask her about the contradictions.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Set the precedent!! Make him spend the night in jail at the very least.

We all know he'll get the judge equivalent of a "strongly worded letter" and be back doing the exact thing within minutes of leaving the court.

At least take away his access to electronics, hell they did that when Sam Bankman-Fried was awaiting trial (and then he still used them anyways for more witness tampering and got thrown in jail).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you can't handle a non witness rolling their eyes during cross then you don't belong in the courtroom

Maybe so, but courtrooms aren't exactly the places where everyone inside are putting their best, most good-faith foot forward and really being reasonable and truthful about what they say and what they mean.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mercury_Storm posted:

At least take away his access to electronics, hell they did that when Sam Bankman-Fried was awaiting trial (and then he still used them anyways for more witness tampering and got thrown in jail).

Three words : personal Faraday cage.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Xiahou Dun posted:

Three words : personal Faraday cage.

Imagining an x-men style magneto prison that no tweet can penetrate

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Judge should order him taken into custody at start of next court hearing, state considering criminal contempt charges, then let him go and say decided not to charge him after all.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Meow Tse-tung posted:

They could even call it an X-Cage!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

We need to create this heaven now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I just want to see Trump waddling around to rallies in a phone-booth sized thing of copper like a steampunk Dalek.

Is that really so much to ask.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

quote:

Donald Trump is taking the stand in his civil trial to answer questions from the judge under oath about his comments outside the courtroom.

Can he last two minutes without perjuring himself?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Edit * beat

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 25, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1717248957296849140
Energon wins

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Five grand was what it cost me and my wife to spend a couple weeks in Spain back in 2010. Ten grand is what a member of (I think) Phish offered a local band to give up their name so he could use it for a side project—they took the money and renamed themselves Ten Grand. Still less than I pay on my mortgage every year, and functionally meaningless to Trump. Maybe after he sends some death threats they’ll charge him what my knee surgery ran me.

But again, in its majestic equality etc etc

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If the judge keeps doubling the fine every time, by this time next week we might be talking about some real money

The real point was to put Trump on the stand just so the judge reminded Trump he could do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

selec posted:

Five grand was what it cost me and my wife to spend a couple weeks in Spain back in 2010. Ten grand is what a member of (I think) Phish offered a local band to give up their name so he could use it for a side project—they took the money and renamed themselves Ten Grand. Still less than I pay on my mortgage every year, and functionally meaningless to Trump. Maybe after he sends some death threats they’ll charge him what my knee surgery ran me.

But again, in its majestic equality etc etc

Been mentioned before but I think Trump has FAR less COH than people think. His personal interest in this trial in particular is because it's his revenue stream yeah, but also if all his companies die all the bills are due and THAT isn't something he can handle I think. I don't know NY law but I'm assuming outstanding debt gets priority when his companies are dismantled.