Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Meadows should not be getting an immunity deal. He should be in the probation boat with Powell et al at best.

For what it is worth he has immunity from. Federal Prosecution. Georgia still has his rear end on trial, and given that he failed to have it removed, I can't see how he walks without a plea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think we're going to see a Georgia plea deal pretty quick for Meadows.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Simplex posted:

I think we're going to see a Georgia plea deal pretty quick for Meadows.

He would be an absolute moron to have made a deal with the feds but not Georgia since everything he'll be required to tell the Feds to comply with his plea would be discoverable by Georgia.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

He would be an absolute moron to have made a deal with the feds but not Georgia since everything he'll be required to tell the Feds to comply with his plea would be discoverable by Georgia.

I mean... This is Mark Meadows we are talking about.

The immunity deal seems to predate his Georgia indictment. So it looks like that is exactly what happened.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Caros posted:

The immunity deal seems to predate his Georgia indictment. So it looks like that is exactly what happened.

Tbf it's probably hard to remember all of the jurisdictions you need to get immunity in when you're constantly criming.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Isn't he like one of the smarter of Trump's crime goblins? That's not a high bar of course but I think even he/his lawyer would figure that out. My impression is that the arrangement could be just not public yet, just like those who plead in the Goergia case presumably have something worked out with the feds for the same reason.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
What if everybody flips and we're left with Trump still claiming innocence to everything?

"It was all those drat coffee boys/girls who I barely know that did all the crimes, I swear!!"

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Nervous posted:

Ah, the time-value theory of prison. Fascists imprisoned now are worth more than fascists imprisoned in the future. I like it.

I mean, would you rather have Trump in jail for five years starting in February, or Trump in jail for ten years starting when he’s 84?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Trump should flip

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Jesus III posted:

Trump should flip

Seems like a good idea. I'm sure he's got the dirt on Pence.

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, would you rather have Trump in jail for five years starting in February, or Trump in jail for ten years starting when he’s 84?

What's that old saying? A Trump in a cell is worth a Kraken and a Meadow?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I especially enjoy how Meadows' testimony contradicts claims he makes in his own book.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Jesus III posted:

Trump should flip

On who? Putin?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Donald a Trump should definitely flip on himself

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Pin it all on that rascal, John Barron.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'll let Trump flip if he hands over the Piss Tape

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pants Donkey posted:

The vaccine happened under his watch, so it’s great and wonderful. He told his followers to get vaccinated to a sea of booing.

So he probably does get boosters due to it giving him an ego boost and also because he’s high-risk.

He personally invented the vaccine. Nobody had ever heard of a vaccine in all of history before he came along. Many people thank him with tears in their eyes. Usually they're combat veterans who love America. Many people are saying this.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Trazz posted:

On who? Putin?

It turns out Fani Willis doesn't really care about Trump, she just wants to send Giuliani straight to hell.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Trazz posted:

On who? Putin?

Why, on Joe Biden, of course!

Caros
May 14, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't he like one of the smarter of Trump's crime goblins? That's not a high bar of course but I think even he/his lawyer would figure that out. My impression is that the arrangement could be just not public yet, just like those who plead in the Goergia case presumably have something worked out with the feds for the same reason.

I doubt that Georgia would look kindly on any prosecutor who is putting forward a sham indictment and wasting a ton of the court's time with motions for a trial they never intend to happen

I also doubt that Meadows would be filing motions to have his trial removed to federal court if he had a deal with Georgia prosecutors.

In other news, the kraken appears to not know how her plea bargain works. She won't shut the gently caress up about posting the same debunked crap. She keeps reposting stuff about Georgia election fraud, posting about Eastman and most notably that Trump is 'being denied a fair trial'.

That last one in particular appears to be a direct violation of the terms of her plea agreement.

Lady seems crazy enough that I'd be shocked if she doesn't get it revoked in the next few weeks or months. And if it gets revoked she's sort of hosed given that she's already given a proffer.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ms Adequate posted:

Why, on Joe Biden, of course!

Hunter Biden :tinfoil:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Biden Biden.

The Biden they don't want you to know about. The most Biden of Biden's.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Looks bad for Trump

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1716920554371023335

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I get that it would be important evidence for mens rea, but it is deeply funny that it’s the most patently obvious poo poo everyone already knew.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Xiahou Dun posted:

I get that it would be important evidence for mens rea, but it is deeply funny that it’s the most patently obvious poo poo everyone already knew.

As absurd as the Costanza defense sounds, it is probably Trump's best shot for getting away with everything, so the deal is probably worth it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'm not sure what from the story Cheney is getting at, especially given that even Trump's legal staff is going to be competent enough to note his story flipped once he'd already profited from the initial version but could still benefit from this one.

quote:

According to the sources [note: it'd be a shocker if this wasn't Meadows and his lawyers], Meadows also told the federal investigators Trump was being "dishonest" with the public when he first claimed to have won the election only hours after polls closed on Nov. 3, 2020, before final results were in.

"Obviously we didn't win," a source quoted Meadows as telling Smith's team in hindsight.
So the lede is nothing. The first bit time the story discusses Justice, it's also a :burger:

quote:

The descriptions of what Meadows allegedly told investigators shed further light on the evidence Smith's team has amassed as it prosecutes Trump for allegedly trying to unlawfully retain power and "spread lies" about the 2020 election.

To be clear - having someone corroborating the reports of others in the room is probably good for Smith despite his credibility. But "shed[ding] further light" isn't among the more damning pieces of evidence, so we trudge on to more credibility issues:

quote:

ABC News has identified several assertions in the book that appear to be contradicted by what Meadows allegedly told investigators behind closed doors.

According to Meadows' book, the election was "stolen" and "rigged" with help from "allies in the liberal media," who ignored "actual evidence of fraud, right there in plain sight for anyone to access and analyze."

But, as described to ABC News, Meadows privately told Smith's investigators that -- to this day -- he has yet to see any evidence of fraud that would have kept now-president Joe Biden from the White House, and he told them he agrees with a government assessment at the time that the 2020 presidential election was the most secure election in U.S. history.

"I thought he was being dishonest, I just didn't tell anyone about it and according to everyone, acted as I would have done if I believed him"

quote:

Trump was already questioning the integrity of the election months before Election Day. Then, within hours of polls closing on Nov. 3, 2020 -- as Trump was beginning to lose key states -- Trump claimed on national TV that it was all "a major fraud."

"Frankly, we did win this election," Trump declared.

Meadows told investigators earlier this year that he's long believed Trump was being dishonest when he made that statement, given the fact that votes were still being counted and the results from several states were not in yet.

There's more, but it's all the same structure- Meadows claims he told Smith something, ABC News quotes his book saying the exact opposite. I genuinely don't know what Cheney could be referring to in his tweet.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A hush fills the courtroom as Meadows relates the magical time of how reality fleetingly penetrated Trump’s boundless narcissism. Like a fiddler playing to escape the gallows, he weaves a tapestry of words, “He threw fast food mayonnaise packets at the TV when they called the election for Biden. “

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Powell is already telling her followers that the DA extorted the guild plea.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sidney-powell-doubt-election-results-attack-prosecutors-after-guilty-plea-2023-10

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O this doesn’t seem like it’s going to go well for Sydney Powell.

How do you enforce a plea deal? Do they just rip it up and charge you anyway or is there a process? I’m assuming it’s too much to hope the marshals will be involved?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Trazz posted:

On who? Putin?

Trump tries to sell out one of his sons. Or Tiffany.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I wonder if she's trying to force a trial at the last minute in the hopes of delaying Trump's trial. That docket just had weeks cleared off of it. She and Chesbro were going early anyways because they invoked their right to a speedy trial, so it's not like Trump would be on trial this month or anything, but it could make it happen in Q1 2024, for example, if she and Chesbro aren't on trial.

Or she's just stupid.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Once you've pled you don't get to go back and have a trial. That's done. Once you've pled all that's incoming is sentencing.

It's just the grift. She thinks she can tell one story in court and a different story in fundraising emails.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think I've completely forgotten, or never knew, that Sydney Powell was involved in Flynn's attempt to undue his guilty plea.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Once you've pled you don't get to go back and have a trial. That's done. Once you've pled all that's incoming is sentencing.

It's just the grift. She thinks she can tell one story in court and a different story in fundraising emails.

She can still be tried for the elements that were dropped as a result of the deal, can't she?

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

I get that she has a proffer in this case, but if someone without one were to accept a plea deal and then not testify in the trials they agreed to cooperate with, what would happen to them?

That's a real question, I've been wondering how this works if one of the Trump associates who took a deal tried to play takesies-backsies.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Technically, if everyone flips that does support Trump's novel defense that he's not guilty because all the legal gals and political guys who were just bringing him coffee clearly are guilty of crimes. How was a poor, innocent, little president supposed to know any better?

Impressive that they're loving up the Proud Boys play by claiming to have lied about being guilty and regretting it before any sentencing is done. You gotta wait before crawling back to MAGA and explaining it was all just a beautiful con on the dumb courts.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This has to be witness tampering

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Farchanter posted:

I get that she has a proffer in this case, but if someone without one were to accept a plea deal and then not testify in the trials they agreed to cooperate with, what would happen to them?

That's a real question, I've been wondering how this works if one of the Trump associates who took a deal tried to play takesies-backsies.

I could be wrong, just going by people's posts here, but I believe cooperation is a condition of her probation, so if she doesn't or stops, that's a probation violation and she could be sent to jail after a brief hearing with no jury.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly I'd be surprised if there's any precedent for a defendant who fully upholds their plead conditions in court, but spends the rest of their day screaming to their cult on the internet that it's all coercion.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Gyges posted:

Honestly I'd be surprised if there's any precedent for a defendant who fully upholds their plead conditions in court, but spends the rest of their day screaming to their cult on the internet that it's all coercion.

Man, that'd be a sight. The judge would issue such a stern warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I have no sympathy for her desire to continue grifting.

Put her in prison.