Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i liked Neon Demon because it kind of starts as a Suspiria riff and ends as a Fulci riff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Neon Demon kicks rear end

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love the joke at the end

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah neon demon is one of my favorite Refn films.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MacheteZombie posted:

I love the joke at the end

Same. Such a good flick.

Also for me the ED remake is the second best in the franchise behind the OG. Such good splatter.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I saw Drag Me to Hell last night in a theater on 35mm. So good. Still a crowd (dis)pleaser.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve only see the remake of suspria but because I loved it so much and people hate it so much I might just be evil and never watch the original 😈

I’ll watch it one day lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve only see the remake of suspria but because I loved it so much and people hate it so much I might just be evil and never watch the original 😈

i respect this. sometimes you have to out-hater the haters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They're just so different, just completely different movie experiences. I think if you did watch the original you'd understand why some people who love the original weren't happy with the remake and vice versa. Visually they're polar opposites, and while the original is a little under 100 minutes, the remake is 2.5 hours long. It's certainly a venn diagram with plenty of room on both sides for people to not like one or the other.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I tried to watch the OG on tubi but the version they had was hosed up and really bad quality and the internet cut out so I just said eff it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

weekly font posted:

Same. Such a good flick.

Also for me the ED remake is the second best in the franchise behind the OG. Such good splatter.

I absolutely adore Evil Dead 1/2/AOD but ED2013 is a better straight up horror movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

They're just so different, just completely different movie experiences. I think if you did watch the original you'd understand why some people who love the original weren't happy with the remake and vice versa. Visually they're polar opposites, and while the original is a little under 100 minutes, the remake is 2.5 hours long. It's certainly a venn diagram with plenty of room on both sides for people to not like one or the other.

Yeah exactly. And at the same time if they were completely separate movies and Guadagnino had called it something else, you just know people would whine that "this was just Suspiria"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just rewatched all the Evil Dead movies within the last week. My ranking was ED2 > ED1 > ED2013 > AOD > Rise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched talk to me and it was kinda cool. I wish it was better after thinking about it. Wish there was more meat on them bones. But fun idea and ending.

It’s a good horror movie for young people or people who hate horror to dip their toes in

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Rageaholic posted:

I just rewatched all the Evil Dead movies within the last week. My ranking was ED2 > ED1 > ED2013 > AOD > Rise.

I agree with this.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I went to see It Lives Inside and it's 20 minutes of a good movie stretched across 100 minutes. Nothing terrible, but just so slow and dull.

I'm going to see Five Nights at Freddy's on Friday which will either be good, or ridiculous enough to be entertaining anyway.

e: since we're doing ED ratings: 2 > 1 > Rise > 2013 > AOD, but this is like splitting hairs, all of them are 10/10.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 25, 2023

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I should watch ED2013 again, I recall being suprised that I didn't hate it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think it's the single bloodiest movie I've ever seen, or definitely up there at least.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AOD is number one for me as it’s the most important film for me. It’s my Star Wars when it comes to filmmaking

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i revisited the Evil Dead remake recently and it's... fine. certainly above average for a horror remake, some fun shot compositions, Jane Levy is great, and most importantly some true S-tier gore effects. i kind of hate any moment that Jane Levy's not on screen though.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Evil Dead II is unmatched for me. My problems with ED13 are that the direction just isn't frantic enough and the characters don't take up enough of the screen or quite pop nearly enough...for most of the movie. Because holy gently caress is the final act incredible. Some great jumpscares, the bathroom scene is fantastic, nasty splatter, and the opening scene is an all-time great. I liked it a lot and I have a feeling I'll rate it highly when I get around to seeing Rise and the original and can rank them all together.

It's just weird that it's called a remake or reboot!! It's not!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s a really cool conversation between Guillermo Del Toro and Fede Alvarez that was recently posted on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z592chAts8I

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

quote:

i kind of hate any moment that Jane Levy's not on screen though.

Big disagree cause watching the glasses guy get endlessly owned is hilarious

S tier: ED1, 2013
A
B: ED2
C: Rise, AoD

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

There are people out there who don’t find Evil Dead 2 the obvious best entry?

Wild world out there.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Kart Barfunkel posted:

There are people out there who don’t find Evil Dead 2 the obvious best entry?

Wild world out there.

This has always been my take. To me it's the most creative one, tons of fun and a perfect mix between comedy and horror. If I had to rank them all, I'd go:

Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2013
Evil Dead Rise

There's just so much good stuff in 2, Raimi was just throwing everything at the wall and using every trick he had to keep it visually interesting and inventive.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It's one of my favorite movies ever made, let alone one of my favorite horror movies, so I'll always be biased in favor towards it. It's just an unbelievably energetic piece of filmmaking and it has the greatest horror ending of all time...or at least top five.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think I'm going to rewatch Evil Dead 2 tonight its so brief that I think I'll have enough time to watch it.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Typical. I spend years fruitlessly trying to convince even a single other human soul to watch X-Cross, but a bit of thoughtlessly tossed off praise for Night Creatures moves mountains.

I watched X-Cross because someone in the horror thread recommended it, so you did get at least one person.
X-Cross is great. Pure Japanese horror fun. Everyone should watch it. It's free on Tubi!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Fancy Hat posted:

This has always been my take. To me it's the most creative one, tons of fun and a perfect mix between comedy and horror. If I had to rank them all, I'd go:

Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2013
Evil Dead Rise

There's just so much good stuff in 2, Raimi was just throwing everything at the wall and using every trick he had to keep it visually interesting and inventive.

I generally agree with this I think Army of Darkness gets far too much hate. The only problem with that movie was there wasn't more of it. Tons of fun, great set pieces, Raimi did the best he could with the puppets and studio meddling, Bruce Campbell had a blast. You can see the noticeable difference in how enthusiastic he was during the movie and then how unenthusiastic he was when the studio made them do reshoots for the ending.

The hag in the pit is one of the most iconic scenes in horror. Just an all around baller movie.

Evil Dead 2013 is a great horror piece in itself just such a tonal shift that I don't mind ranking it below Evil Dead 1 which was essentially a student film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk I think the reshot ending is the best ending of any movie. It’s just pure distilled evil dead nonsense

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah the original "loser Ash oversleeps" was a misfire, IMO. It fits the Evil Dead movies just fine but not Army of Darkness, which is the sort of Alien -> Aliens progression.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Dead II is my favorite of the Evil Dead movies (also my favorite movie) but I actually think the first one has the best ending

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i revisited the Evil Dead remake recently and it's... fine. certainly above average for a horror remake, some fun shot compositions, Jane Levy is great, and most importantly some true S-tier gore effects. i kind of hate any moment that Jane Levy's not on screen though.

yep. the last 15 minutes are exactly what I want from an Evil Dead movie but there’s like… a full hour of insanely early 2010s poo poo before we get there.

the canon ranking is ED/ED2 as the top two, interchangeably, accounting for individual taste, then Ash vs, then Army of Darkness, then 2013, and then Rise. I’ll even let you get a little flexible with AoD but anything else is foolishness

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I was thinking while watching the disappointment that is Exorcist Believer; I actually wouldn’t have minded it so much if they just remade it with modern sensibilities updated. Even a shot for shot would have given us a chance to hold the original and the remake in a hand each and just ask “Do we want to watch the one that legitimately hurt people, or the cash-in that hits all the same moments?”.

If someone remade something like Rosemarys Baby using this ethos, that’d be interesting.

I much prefer the Suspiria approach, obviously. Maybe I have just went temporarily insane from watching a David Gordon Green movie.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I need to rewatch AoD, haven't seen it in a pretty long time now. I've always thought of it as the weakest of the movies but only because the others are all such bangers, it's still a super fun movie.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah the original "loser Ash oversleeps" was a misfire, IMO. It fits the Evil Dead movies just fine but not Army of Darkness, which is the sort of Alien -> Aliens progression.

I kind of liked it from a horror element that he was now completely stuck in a new time forever but Ash should be about overdone badassery

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You really should. I revisited it even though I did hate it on first watch, and it grew on me every subsequent rewatch. The fact alone that I rewatched it a bunch of times is a huge mark in its favor.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The best way to watch the original ending is off of a bootleg vhs bought from a shady vendor at a local comic convention.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the OG Evil Dead is such a powerhouse, hits hard as a hammer. still love em all though, and the TV series rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Evil Dead 2013 and the newest Hellraiser have really good takes on drug abuse and how it affects others. The actresses in both those movies played a drug addict pretty solidly.