Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha now that has me kind of interested just to see. I think the one I made most romance progress on is the trying to run the museum and arcade stuff. She barely had time for the PC which is perfect, because, same. You don't get to number one workshop by double the points of even cheating Yan by going on play dates that I can't figure how to make work. You do it by having so much of everything you can complete commissions and story quests before noon, most of that time chasing down someone who teleported to church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Khanstant posted:

Haha now that has me kind of interested just to see. I think the one I made most romance progress on is the trying to run the museum and arcade stuff. She barely had time for the PC which is perfect, because, same. You don't get to number one workshop by double the points of even cheating Yan by going on play dates that I can't figure how to make work. You do it by having so much of everything you can complete commissions and story quests before noon, most of that time chasing down someone who teleported to church.

Yeah on Portia I was way too busy fighting robots to do any of the romance stuff at all

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The actual romance elements is very take or leave but strategically befriending the townsfolk to get discounts at their shops and extra friendship points with their friends and family to get discounts at their shops is an important part of the game imo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sydin posted:

Eh, the release date's still 3+ months off, they've got time to hammer out the multiplayer stuff.

That trailer specifically says multiplayer will come later.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh lol my bad, didn't see that.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

TurnipFritter posted:

The actual romance elements is very take or leave but strategically befriending the townsfolk to get discounts at their shops and extra friendship points with their friends and family to get discounts at their shops is an important part of the game imo.

By far the best part of the friendship system and one more games need to steal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Getting relationships up is definitely part of my gameplay flow. When I restart I'll definitely work some better generic gifts into the mix because since I started paying attention my friendships went up a ton. It's cool there's cascading effects too, friend of a friend likes you more. Plus donating to the church, which isn't that bad for a church.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
One of my gripes was that in Portia they gave bonuses for marrying a particular townsperson but they were inconsistent and even the "best" ones were still "meh".

I really wish these harvest moon games created bigger changes to the gameplay loop depending on who you married so that the decision felt more significant. They "help out" a bit around your house but I want to be able to give specific Honey-Dos to help me focus on other things at a time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's especially weird when those characters have their own ambitions or jobs and just become a daily bonus hanging around your house.

Ideally you would need both incomes to be able to support the kid, who after enough years can start doing chores around the farm until kid gets old enough to move away or slack on farmwork to go sneak drinks at Marnie's or whatever. You and the spouse should get to drift apart over time no matter what you seem to try, somehow handing over even the highest quality food or craft items just isn't enough anymore. Endgame is collecting alimony since the corporate city job was always really bailing the farm out of debt.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
"I saw you feeding Abigail an Amethyst again, Roger. Is something going on?"
"No, no honey, it's all a big misunderstanding here..."
"YOU PUT YOUR FINGER IN HER MOUTH, ROBERT. THE JUNIMOS TOLD ME EVERYTHING"

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I’ve spent the last few weeks binging My Time At Sandrock, and it’s definitely solid. Still has your standard indie jank of characters walking into walls or facing the wrong way in conversations but the gameplay loop is fun and they’ve clearly improved from Portia.

The voice acting is… interesting. Some kind of weird line readings and some characters that clearly had different actors (or the same actor forgetting exactly how they did the voice) for cutscenes and for conversations, which seems to be a normal problem for indie games that are writing as they go. But I’ve found a lot of the character dialogue clever and enjoyable.

I was going to complain about the guy reading for Unsuur because the initial conversations with him came across as amateur and wooden readings, and I assumed the actor was due to some sort of kickstarter thing and then the game went on and I realized that no, Unsuur is just an incredibly boring person, and talking with little to no inflection is just what he does. And the actor actually does a good job with making it sound reasonable.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Originally from Atara, Catori divorced her unsupportive husband and left her son with her Ma before coming to Sandrock in the hopes of creating a world-renown entertainment complex.

The gently caress?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Slay queen, slaaaaaaay

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hello mommy

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Portia is 6 bucks on the steam sale, which is an incredible deal for the value you would get out of it.

You don't need any DLC. It's just some meaningless cosmetics.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

I’ve spent the last few weeks binging My Time At Sandrock, and it’s definitely solid. Still has your standard indie jank of characters walking into walls or facing the wrong way in conversations but the gameplay loop is fun and they’ve clearly improved from Portia.

The voice acting is… interesting. Some kind of weird line readings and some characters that clearly had different actors (or the same actor forgetting exactly how they did the voice) for cutscenes and for conversations, which seems to be a normal problem for indie games that are writing as they go. But I’ve found a lot of the character dialogue clever and enjoyable.

I was going to complain about the guy reading for Unsuur because the initial conversations with him came across as amateur and wooden readings, and I assumed the actor was due to some sort of kickstarter thing and then the game went on and I realized that no, Unsuur is just an incredibly boring person, and talking with little to no inflection is just what he does. And the actor actually does a good job with making it sound reasonable.

I think it's sometimes a case of the VA forgetting their accent. Amirah's Brother in particular has this totally made up accent that's even harder to peg than usual because the VA seems to shift it so often. I think there's at least another character or two who have made up accents as well?

And I had the same ride with Unsurr, he sounds appropriate for the boring goober he is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Finally started a Sandrock save and I'm finding it a lot easier to get into and enjoy than Portia. It just feels more manageable somehow. In Portia I felt as if I constantly hit my head into walls, but here I have an idea of what to do and I can make progress pretty easily. The art style is a lot better to my eyes, too.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

They learned a lot from Portia and applied it all to Sandrock, it’s a way smoother and better experience overall.

Has there been any word on the multiplayer recently? I keep seeing mentions of a sandbox mode which isn’t what I’m looking for. Hoping there’s plans to put in a co-op storymode or something.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Last I saw, they're putting in multiplayer, but it it won't be there for launch.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have not started Sandrock yet since I figure there will be more patches to come. But I wanted to make sure I bought it since I'm definitely down for another game like Portia.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Has there been any word on the multiplayer recently? I keep seeing mentions of a sandbox mode which isn’t what I’m looking for. Hoping there’s plans to put in a co-op storymode or something.

they posted this video a month ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn9Ykt1az0M

the bad news: they had originally planned a separate storyline for multiplayer mode, but they thought it wasn't good enough and also due to having limited resources they're scrapping the storyline entirely and it's just going to be a sandbox thing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That video is so bad. So much assumed animosity for friends and loved ones.

Really disappointed by the lack of story in the multiplayer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I will miss my house when it launches, except for the fact that it's arrangement means I can't actually use any of the extra stories because there's no place to place stairs and such.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I played the first week of Sandrock. Game is doing a whole lot of things really well. Optimistic.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Zesty posted:

I played the first week of Sandrock. Game is doing a whole lot of things really well. Optimistic.

It's real good so far and was legitimately hard to put down to wait for release.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, I ended up playing the whole first season but think I'll take a break until it's in 1.0 just so I can get the complete game. It's kind of disappointing to know I'm missing out on things when it explicitly tells you on villager's info pages how much of their content is available. I don't want to make decisions based on where the content is, but on wherever things end up taking me on a full playthrough.

Game is looking and playing really well though. Couple bugs here and there, but they still have a couple months before 1.0

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dang 1.0 got pushed back to November. AC6 and BG3 are going to have to tide me over for longer than I thought.

Oh well props to the studio for actually acknowledging they needed more time and pushing the release date back instead of kicking an unfinished product out the door and fixing it later like most would.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Like they did with Portia....

Anyway kinda sad this is hitting the same day as Star Ocean 2 R now

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Shame I was looking forward to 1.0 but the timeframe seemed rough.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's cool. I'd rather this than trying to force incomplete games to 1.0

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Better to take the time to do it right than release early.

I've been holding off starting my playthrough until release because I thought I remembered them saying they were updating NPCs as part of it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They'll be adding stuff but there's already a ton to do and I would say go ahead and start if you're itchy for some workshoppin'. I'm at the end of the game and content they have in so far and seems like I still have plenty of friendship events and things to go through if I wanted to just grind up days of building friendship only but I kinda like when there's story pressure ot build more than just doing my own pace.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Act 3 and main story finale update just dropped, even though the official 1.0 launch is November 2

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1084600/view/3748740074327462625

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

GotLag posted:

Act 3 and main story finale update just dropped, even though the official 1.0 launch is November 2

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1084600/view/3748740074327462625

Goddamn. The story is 3x the length of Portia? Not that I'm complaining. Portia's story was already super long though (again, not a bad thing). This game is going to take 2 years for me to get through the story.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I took a peak since my save was right at the end of the last story update, and I'd recommend that anybody who wants to jump in still wait for the full 1.0 release in November or, at a minimum, start a new save fresh. As it is my current character got all their perks reset, there's some new materials that suddenly everybody wants that I have none of because it's expecting you to have been grabbing them way earlier in the game, and I'm now getting bombarded by everybody's new time-sensitive personal quests, some of which are bugged like Amirah's which was titled *NOTUSE* and had no description attached. :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't tempt me with a good time. Love getting a huge batch of new tasks and then finishing them that day lol

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've been participating in the final beta tests and the game is absolutely huge and they keep on wanting to add more content for characters and stuff.

I'd estimate a playthrough of the story will take 100-150 hours depending on your pace. My savegame was 128 hours when I saw credits roll. There's still some nasty bugs left right now but I hope the game will have a great launch cause it deserves the success.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1084600/discussions/0/3883851232914867252/

Some stuff about the console releases: PS5, Xbox, and Switch releases are on November 2, but won't be fully updated to where the PC release is until around Christmas. The PS4 version will be released at a later date. Console multiplayer won't drop until Summer 2024.

Some gameplay limitations in the Xbox One and Switch versions, which I imagine will also apply to the PS4 version if it ever releases:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I kind of understand that decision. The PC version received its last content patch (in beta) just last week and console versions usually have to be finished weeks before release. The Console versions should have the september build that has the complete main story but is missing some extra content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I get why they have to do it, but unless they add a backup system to non-visually place decorations, it's technically a slight nerf to your stats. To be fair, I don't know how important the stats are WRT to combat since it's all pretty non-threatening but extra stamina was always appreciated. My workshops out edge is a wall of artifacts and decorations. Seems to get people to admire them for passive friendship gain more often that way.