Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can confirm Those Leviton 60Wers are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

m0therfux0r posted:

I have a water pressure question that I *think* has a simple answer, but it's tough to Google and find results that apply to the specifics of my question-

I've recently noticed that sometimes our hot water pressure is initially high coming out of our faucets and falls back down to normal within a couple seconds. It is noticeably higher, but not disturbingly so- if you aren't looking for it you might not even notice it. It seems like it happens mostly after taking a shower or otherwise using a lot of hot water, which leads me to believe that it's almost certainly a result of the hot water heater doing its thing and heating up the water that's replacing what I used.

Funny enough I just went through a similar thing, I installed a pex manifold and all new water lines about a year ago but only a few weeks ago got around to installing the pressure regulator. I dialed in the pressure to around 55 PSI but it would climb to about 70 after running hot water, I figured that wasn't too bad and kept an eye on it. After filling the bathtub I walked into the utility room to find water coming out of the release valve on the water heater and the pressure gauge showing 120 PSI :aaa: I installed a expansion tank shortly after..

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Hadlock posted:

My wife goes through about $100 worth of my chargers a year, break even is pretty quick

Definitely getting them for the kitchen table and dining room, I use those about half the day depending on where the sun is and temperature of the house

Classic wife move

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Also yes let me tell you about the $900 in tools I bought to save $200 on a home repair

Something like this used to be the thread title before spf3million and the greatest home-wnership story since groverhaus.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Also the thread title of the tools thread over in AI

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369&pagenumber=660&perpage=40

I found out this thread has a sister thread over in the arts and crafts forum? Literally today. And I guess there's an interior design thread too... Elsewhere

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

I found out this thread has a sister thread over in the arts and crafts forum? Literally today. And I guess there's an interior design thread too... Elsewhere

They're nearly indistinguishable. I find myself posting in whichever one the current conversation matches what I've got to share. This results in a disjointed Post History (much like my house projects)

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

Motronic posted:

You expansion tank is broken (ruptured air bladder inside the tank)

That was it! The plumber just showed up and checked the valve on the expansion tank and it shot out tons of water. They're putting in a new one now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

m0therfux0r posted:

That was it! The plumber just showed up and checked the valve on the expansion tank and it shot out tons of water. They're putting in a new one now.

Nice. Cheap and easy.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I need to have some updates done to the primary bathroom in my condo:

- Repair/reseal grout and caulk
- Replace shower door
- Install shower shelves/caddies/whatever they're called
- Replace toilet
- Install exhaust fan over existing vent

I have some more specific questions about some of these things, but who do I need to call for all this? There's only a bit of plumbing for the toilet, only a bit of electrical work for the fan switch, and this all seems kind of minor for a contractor. But this is my first time hiring someone as a homeowner so... I know nothing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sounds like general handyman stuff

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Sounds like general handyman stuff

Ah okay, that makes it simple, thanks.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
They pushed up the install to tomorrow, so it's going to cost an arm and a leg but I'll have the new oil tank installed and all the plumbing that's leaking oil into my basement fixed soon instead of six weeks from now. hurray!

In other news, the leaves are falling and at some point I do need to throw them all off the cliff and make them next year's problem when I'll be redoing the landscaping anyway. I am quite looking forward to that.

I can't leave them in the yard like some people like to do because they become a fire hazard, on account of how I use the yard primarily to light things on fire and throw them around.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
You have a leaking oil tank and your hobbies involve tossing flaming things around?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I just found out that this doofus (cat tax):

Has figured out how to get past my janky netting meant to keep cats out of my basement laundry area!

This is a bane and a boon because that area has a whole buncha exposed insulation, a Smurf tube with live Romex in it, basically a bunch of crap that I don't want my cats to have access to, but also a boon cause it'll light a fire under my rear end to get that part of the basement spruced up.

Here's an example of the fuckshit I'll be dealing with:

Onto the question! Is there anything I need to be aware of when slapping up some drywall to cover the insulation? And are there any recs for the thickness of drywall I should put down there? I guess while I'm at it, the insulation down there is lovely, after mice and the POs cats fuckin with it. Should I just replace it (ugh :cry:)?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Johnny Truant posted:

So I just found out that this doofus (cat tax):

Has figured out how to get past my janky netting meant to keep cats out of my basement laundry area!

This is a bane and a boon because that area has a whole buncha exposed insulation, a Smurf tube with live Romex in it, basically a bunch of crap that I don't want my cats to have access to, but also a boon cause it'll light a fire under my rear end to get that part of the basement spruced up.

Here's an example of the fuckshit I'll be dealing with:

Onto the question! Is there anything I need to be aware of when slapping up some drywall to cover the insulation? And are there any recs for the thickness of drywall I should put down there? I guess while I'm at it, the insulation down there is lovely, after mice and the POs cats fuckin with it. Should I just replace it (ugh :cry:)?

Assuming there is concrete behind that framed wall, you'll want to be careful what insulation you use. Fine Homebuilding / Green Building Advisor have a lot of great articles on it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

swapped out like an 18yo bri’ish capacitor on my 18yo AC unit with a new US made one. no more loud surge when it fires up lol

feeling accomplished this morning :D

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

right arm posted:

swapped out like an 18yo bri’ish capacitor on my 18yo AC unit with a new US made one. no more loud surge when it fires up lol

feeling accomplished this morning :D

Hell yeah. I spent my morning tidying up a portion of the basement that had become a catch all. The next step is reorganizing all the storage and stored decorations that I moved for a project. I figure if I wait long enough the holiday will be here and I won't have to move the stuff twice. It's gonna look like a wreck until then.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sloppy posted:

Assuming there is concrete behind that framed wall, you'll want to be careful what insulation you use. Fine Homebuilding / Green Building Advisor have a lot of great articles on it.

It is indeed concrete, thanks for the tip!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DaveSauce posted:

Only other annoying thing about it is the leaves don't stay long enough. They usually get blown off just before they reach a nice golden/yellow color.

Sunday:

Tuesday:

Sure do wish the leaves would stay on longer, but drat is it pretty when they come down all at once.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Your lack of wind is impressive.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have to say even though my tree removal was a debacle, not having any leaves to pick up this year was incredible. The Japanese maple leaves are basically nothing so I just mulch them. Last year we returned from a 2 week vacation and we had a layer of soaked leaves in our yard a foot thick. It took so long to get rid of.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We've had wind but the leaves are still pretty heavy. They never really dry out which is why they just drop straight down and yeah, bagging them up is a bit of a pain. That is probably what I'd be doing after work tonight if I didn't have to be handing out candy. It is a huge drag if it rains before I have a chance to get them cleaned up.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I used to use a yard vacuum.

Three years ago I mulched them with the mower. Lawn (zoysia) has never looked so lush.

Anybody in the market for a good lawn vacuum?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just had a frustrating experience with Appliance Parts Pros (who I have recommended here before). I installed a drain pump on an LG washer 3 weeks ago. All was well. As of today, it's making noises when it runs like it's gonna chew through a bearing. Not surprised, lots of new parts are junk.

They need the model, serial and a PICTURE of the bad part to do the warranty. I said I'm not taking a working and needed appliance apart and putting it back together (1+ hours) for that. Can I just buy a pump toady, I'll install it then we can go through the warranty process later and you can issue a refund or even a credit. "No, we have to send you another pump. This is LGs policy."

This is the same style of additional warranty hoops LG has been sued over (and lost) multiple times. And it's still going on in their repair parts channel. Just ridiculous.

They ended up telling me that they're going to send me a replacement anyway and please hold on to the old one for at least 30 days in case they need a picture or a return of it. So they made good on it but it's pretty much a failure of customer service that I had to go through two agents and push this hard, and it's yet another failure of LG and a good reason to not buy their stuff in the future.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

I don’t follow the home buying thread anymore so this may have been discussed in there but it looks like the federal jury trial in Burnett v. National Association of Realtors is finally underway. I learned about this years ago on SA. It alleges that the 6% commissions, requiring MLS listing, and setting up so seller pays the buyer are all bad for consumers and violations of Sherman anti-trust.

Trying to find a non paywalled link to share that isn’t realtors complaining but this is where i saw it first: https://www.wsj.com/articles/burnett-v-national-association-of-realtors-home-buyers-sellers-brokers-commission-7e58fda0

Update on the NAR Lawsuit: Jury Finds Realtors Conspired to Keep Commissions High, Awards Nearly $1.8 Billion in Damages. "The verdict, which hands loss to brokerages and industry trade association, could upend the home-sale industry"

The article is pretty light on details, but the NAR lost the case and will appeal. If it gets slapped with antitrust the damages (IANAL but apparently the judge's sentencing decision) could triple. Either way there could be farther-reaching consequences like breaking the cartel.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Good, gently caress realtors.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Motronic posted:

This is the same style of additional warranty hoops LG has been sued over (and lost) multiple times. And it's still going on in their repair parts channel. Just ridiculous.

Seems like everything these days has been designed to waste so much time that most give up before getting what was promised. Warranties, insurance, price-for-life, etc etc...

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

One bathtub faucet hot water is barely a trickle. Cold water pressure is fine. Both the hot and cold water pressure work fine on all other faucets in the house. Any idea what could cause this? It hasn’t been cold enough for any frozen pipes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sublimer posted:

One bathtub faucet hot water is barely a trickle. Cold water pressure is fine. Both the hot and cold water pressure work fine on all other faucets in the house. Any idea what could cause this? It hasn’t been cold enough for any frozen pipes.

Build up in the hot water pipe?

Is it two knobs or one?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hed posted:

Update on the NAR Lawsuit: Jury Finds Realtors Conspired to Keep Commissions High, Awards Nearly $1.8 Billion in Damages. "The verdict, which hands loss to brokerages and industry trade association, could upend the home-sale industry"

The article is pretty light on details, but the NAR lost the case and will appeal. If it gets slapped with antitrust the damages (IANAL but apparently the judge's sentencing decision) could triple. Either way there could be farther-reaching consequences like breaking the cartel.

Washington Post free link:

https://wapo.st/47cJZwz

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

MarcusSA posted:

Build up in the hot water pipe?

Is it two knobs or one?

Two knobs

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Sublimer posted:

Two knobs

Maybe a problem with the valve for the hot water on that faucet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tristesse posted:

Maybe a problem with the valve for the hot water on that faucet.

Yeah you probably need to take it apart and see what's up.

SA-Anon
Sep 15, 2019

Sublimer posted:

Two knobs

It may be something as simple as the the handle not engaging the stem of the valve and the valve as a result not physically moving.

Not a plumber, but I've dealt with a lot of valves in power plants.

It is not impossible for a valve stem to break but.. more likely something is not physically engaging between the handle and the valve.
And that prevents the valve seat/plug from moving.
And that prevents the water from flowing

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Motronic posted:

Just had a frustrating experience with Appliance Parts Pros (who I have recommended here before). I installed a drain pump on an LG washer 3 weeks ago. All was well. As of today, it's making noises when it runs like it's gonna chew through a bearing. Not surprised, lots of new parts are junk.

They need the model, serial and a PICTURE of the bad part to do the warranty. I said I'm not taking a working and needed appliance apart and putting it back together (1+ hours) for that. Can I just buy a pump toady, I'll install it then we can go through the warranty process later and you can issue a refund or even a credit. "No, we have to send you another pump. This is LGs policy."

They ended up telling me that they're going to send me a replacement anyway and please hold on to the old one for at least 30 days in case they need a picture or a return of it. So they made good on it but it's pretty much a failure of customer service that I had to go through two agents and push this hard, and it's yet another failure of LG and a good reason to not buy their stuff in the future.

The ease with which large companies go straight back to criming is disgusting

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
- Thanks for the HOA advice last month. I’m not 100% pleased, but we did get a slight bump in the fee approved, making sure we aren’t falling behind on the reserve, and planted a seed to think about further increases so that we can continue paying for services when those go up in prices too.

- First day of freezing temperatures here and I’m so glad that we put in new windows. The windows and sliding glass door were the originals from the 90s. I just went to the first floor, which is usually 60-65 degrees in the winter when the rest of the townhouse is 70-72, and it was 68 today. It’ll be a small win on the heating gas bill, and a big win for comfort for that floor. It’s especially impressive given the first floor foyer opens up to the second floor so a lot of the heat was either escaping out the sliding glass or to the second floor.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Mr Cooper got hacked and sent a link to the very trustworthy domain mrcooper info.com

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A guy who says he lived in my house 40 years ago just took a photo with his family on my front porch and then asked if he could come inside the house. He described the layout and even told me something I didn't know (2nd floor was converted from an attic to living space in 1985) so I'm sure it was an innocent request but yeah nah dude sorry.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That happened to my mom, I believe she did let them in the house, and they gave her a little bit of history that helped clear up some mysteries.

I know I won't have that problem, this house was in the same family since 1945 and the older man who grew up here declined our offer to take a look around one last time when we bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tell them that they can tell you which wall the money is hidden behind and that you will bring it to them if it's there