Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

bamhand posted:

What's wrong with NMD? It's the only content where stuff has enough HP to make the combat satisfying. It's way better than any open world content at least.

Where do you rather want to be:
- Handcrafted open world, millions of poo poo to do, dots everywhere on the map, people summoning bosses and firing nukes everywhere, and partying up randomly to get more hell/vamptide stuff and have fun, and coming away from it with whispers, season xp, vampstamp xp, etc then jump straight to the next one
- Alone, in a cold, damp, dark, repetetive AI dungeon, thats half an hour long, occasionally backtracking through empty corridors, where all the drops except maybe the endboss are poo poo, and getting reward with like half a level on a glyph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tokubetsu posted:

Do the keys do anything else? I've just been opening every box lol. I just found out theres the special trine boss for 150 blood lures though so I may actually missing something.

There's new crafting recipes that use blood lures, but I can't remember if the keys are part of them or not.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Bisse posted:

- Handcrafted open world, millions of poo poo to do, dots everywhere on the map, people summoning bosses and firing nukes everywhere, and partying up randomly to get more hell/vamptide stuff and have fun, and coming away from it with whispers, season xp, vampstamp xp, etc then jump straight to the next one
- Alone, in a cold, damp, dark, repetetive AI dungeon, thats half an hour long, occasionally backtracking through empty corridors, where all the drops except maybe the endboss are poo poo, and getting reward with like half a level on a glyph.

The open world stuff would only be fun if it was equivalent of like NM70+. As is, would rather be in the dungeon because open world is not rewarding from a gameplay, xp, or loot perspective.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I wonder if they will take the feedback regarding vamptides and use them to improve on helltides. It does feel like they are experimenting with the format and seeing how players respond to it. I think vamptides are great

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Biggest issue with NMDs is the general slowness of everything. Fishing around in your inventory to very slowly open a portal and sit through load screens compared to how little bullshit you need to zoom into Chaos Sanctuary or instantly pop open a GR, it's a total momentum killer.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

kaaj posted:

Interesting if they'll stick to that message from yesterday about no nerfs with this published.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNhVuNlHDr4

I don't think fixing a bug really counts as a nerf.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

That’s won’t be a nerf. That’s an obvious bug fix.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bisse posted:

2. But they could buff them some obv

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The problem with open world challenges being ”too easy / not enough xp / no glyph points” are just balancing choises. Increase monster stats in helltides and season tides for high levels by a lot, make one of the tide quests give you glyph xp, and boom you’ve given the player base something fun to do on high levels. Sure NMDs could still be faster for pure leveling, but personally I would rather have fun for 10 hours than be bored for 5.

Hell maybe even let people bloodmark themselves in helltides so now I can do all the fun things at once in the same place. Hire me blizzard

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Couldn't you also make NMD denser, have more events, etc? Honestly it's all the same to me as long as I'm smashing dense packs of monsters.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just make them a linear corridor. There is no gameplay benefit gained by searching around for the doodad to place in the other doodad. All it does is add tedium and time.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Just make them a linear corridor. There is no gameplay benefit gained by searching around for the doodad to place in the other doodad. All it does is add tedium and time.

I thought that was the whole promise of season 1: the malignant tunnel

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they forgot to make the tunnels good

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm trying to math this out. The higher power one has some dumpster roles but does it's over arching power edge it ahead?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I wonder if they will take the feedback regarding vamptides and use them to improve on helltides. It does feel like they are experimenting with the format and seeing how players respond to it. I think vamptides are great
Yeah if we don't see 24/7 Helltide after this, Blizzard just hates fun.

Bisse posted:

I would rather have fun for 10 hours than be bored for 5.
If this quote was "I would rather have fun for 5 hours than be bored for 10" I'd frame it. It'd be a solid game design mantra in an era where companies are trying to force people to stay in their game so it stays populated and looks alive at the cost of forcing grind and, well, playing longer and being bored.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 25, 2023

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

m.hache posted:

I'm trying to math this out. The higher power one has some dumpster roles but does it's over arching power edge it ahead?

The base damage increase alone is like an additional 25%[x] mod (and will get even better after hitting 5/5), so yeah you should switch

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

they did make the NMDs denser than s0 (i think this was mid s1? fell off of that after a weekend when i first got into t4.) they're alright now id say, but you probably are still gonna want to look up what the "best" dungeons are. Sirocco Caverns is great for instance, no complaints about the density there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dance Dance Rev Mario Mix posted:

the living steel chests in a helltide seem to drop more forgotten souls than the others, so I've been targeting those
This was a good callout, I got one of these and it got me a whole bunch. The whole Helltide took me from zero to 14.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah Helltides suck now compared to Vamptides.

Anyone know what the best way to get Forgotten Souls from Helltides is?

Screaming Hellveins are purple looking things you can click on that spit out a couple of forgotten souls on the map. Then there is the boss that spawns whenever there are "meteors" dropping on the map, look around and you should either see it appear or see the boss icon on the map, they can drop forgotten souls and/or those roses. You can get 8 forgotten souls from a mystery chest, 10 from the living metal chest and 3 from a regular chest. The amounts are not guaranteed as you can get the roses too but you are guaranteed to get forgotten souls from the mystery and living metal chests.

There is also the special helltide boss Kixxarth that drops a whole bunch of forgotten souls if you can find and kill it. It's not very hard, just annoying as it jumps and runs around.

You should be able to get 45-55 forgotten souls from a single helltide. There is also a small chance to get a forgotten soul when salvaging a legendary item.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
The biggest problem with nmd is that you're forced to do stupid bullshit objectives to complete them. Nobody wants to rescue 6 tied up losers who wandered into the monsters den, or kill every single mob, or find multiple pedestal stones.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TjyvTompa posted:

Screaming Hellveins are purple looking things you can click on that spit out a couple of forgotten souls on the map. Then there is the boss that spawns whenever there are "meteors" dropping on the map, look around and you should either see it appear or see the boss icon on the map, they can drop forgotten souls and/or those roses. You can get 8 forgotten souls from a mystery chest, 10 from the living metal chest and 3 from a regular chest. The amounts are not guaranteed as you can get the roses too but you are guaranteed to get forgotten souls from the mystery and living metal chests.

There is also the special helltide boss Kixxarth that drops a whole bunch of forgotten souls if you can find and kill it. It's not very hard, just annoying as it jumps and runs around.

You should be able to get 45-55 forgotten souls from a single helltide. There is also a small chance to get a forgotten soul when salvaging a legendary item.
Awesome, thank you for this.

Tonetta posted:

The biggest problem with nmd is that you're forced to do stupid bullshit objectives to complete them. Nobody wants to rescue 6 tied up losers who wandered into the monsters den, or kill every single mob, or find multiple pedestal stones.
But but but we cant just have people running through the dungeons quickly!!!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Or collect anima from mobs that have to explode into smaller spiders. Nothing breaks up a dungeon like waiting for your keys to spawn on kill.

God help you if they are poison and you need to wait for the explosion before the anima spawns.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Actually the biggest annoyance is the hurt tick you get when you’re poisoned that interrupts any of the action animations so after you kill that big mob of spiders you just have to stand there and wait for 10 seconds before you can even pick up the keystone.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The silent chests you need for season chapter 3 - are the maps online up to date? Tried looking some up and travelling to those spots but couldn't find any. Do they randomly spawn around that area, do they spawn at certain times of day, is there something I have to do to get them to spawn or are the maps just out of date?

the maps could be right but it seems like silent chests are effectively a low chance replacement of the spawn of a regular chest. sometimes the spot is empty, most times it’ll have a regular chest, rarely a silent one. no rules that i know of like “there’s always one silent chest up per zone” or whatever that’s allow you to brute force it

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Bisse posted:

the latter. andy and meph runs are my poo poo

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is Mother's Embrace or a Duriel drop the only way Sorc can get 8 uniques equipped?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

seemed like WT4 varshan did his ground effect poo poo faster than in WT3. making the mechanics just go faster so you have less time to react and move is a lazy-rear end way to make it harder

you definitely want this

it drops from varshan. I got mine in 3 kills on WT3

Woah. I don’t have minions, but blood surge upgrade is sick

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Zeg posted:

Lures are probably the real grind.

This is the blood I was talking about. The... other blood I've just been upgrading with and it just seems to keep refilling as I do stuff so I have to spend a thousand or whatever every so often.

I'm not sure if keys drop more in WT3/4 but I probably got ~20 the entire time 1-50 (which, granted, was super fast and mostly collecting aspects/doing legions) so having hundreds seems weird.

bamhand posted:

Couldn't you also make NMD denser, have more events, etc? Honestly it's all the same to me as long as I'm smashing dense packs of monsters.

More events would be kind of counterproductive, but yeah there's a point where you realize GRs did it right and having to make baby steps back towards that sucks. Flushing the MMO out of the system would be good but probably work against their cosmetic monetization strategy.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Zeg posted:

Lures are probably the real grind. Elites onward drop them pretty consistently and I spend a lot of time specifically riding around trying to get them to show up.

For anyone else wanting the iron maiden, chalice, and skull, the boxes are the way to go. Do not hold on to your keys.

if you can hit the central event with 5+ people i think you actually get more lures than it costs

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

bamhand posted:

Is Mother's Embrace or a Duriel drop the only way Sorc can get 8 uniques equipped?

Ok actually it seems Mother's Embrace only drops as Sacred. Or at least the 3 I've gotten from Wt4 Varshan were. So that leaves just 2 hats from Duriel to possibly complete as a Sorc? Why do they design everything so poorly?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ehud posted:

I don't think fixing a bug really counts as a nerf.

Yeah, that looks a pure bug - Tibault's Will has a +Max Resource that is giving Rogues + to their Combo Points, rather than just Energy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm in wt4 and almost 70 and I still haven't had a single aspect of the alpha drop

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tonetta posted:

The more I think about it the more I agree this is the worst thing about them. Like it's kind of fun once, when you first do the dungeon to unlock the aspect. But by the time you get to grinding NMDs for endgame progress you just want to beat to death the person who decided there should be 3 mcguffins at opposite ends of the dungeon in order for you to get your scrap of glyph xp.

NMDs should be 2 or 3 times as long with no cockblocks along the way.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
if you have all your vampiric aspects upgraded, what would be the fastest way to do blood zones in order to finish up the rest of the hunters acclaim? i dont even know if anything in the last 3 tiers is super worth it but i have them just sitting there

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Did the dungeon layout changes not go in for season 2? I've been playing and I haven't noticed nearly as much/any backtracking as before. There's always a loop you can go through that has more monsters to kill and takes you back to where you need to be.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Martian Manfucker posted:

Did the dungeon layout changes not go in for season 2? I've been playing and I haven't noticed nearly as much/any backtracking as before. There's always a loop you can go through that has more monsters to kill and takes you back to where you need to be.

I’ve still seen a lot of it. The dungeons with teleporters are a relief.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Martian Manfucker posted:

Yeah it's like 5 minutes a dungeon if you're trying to speed through. Still kinda boring though.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

if you have all your vampiric aspects upgraded, what would be the fastest way to do blood zones in order to finish up the rest of the hunters acclaim? i dont even know if anything in the last 3 tiers is super worth it but i have them just sitting there

Completing the 3 objectives once an hour has been the fastest way for me. Not really worth it once those are done.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I got a Temerity during a 150 blood lure event with a max barrier roll, game fun again.

Are all the WT4 unique farming bosses as hard as Varshan? Even at level 77 my WW barb barely makes his HP go down and I die in a couple of hits.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Turn on crossplay and hit up the 150 lure spot and hope a bunch of people show up and then just take turns fueling the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Lakbay posted:

I got a Temerity during a 150 blood lure event with a max barrier roll, game fun again.

Are all the WT4 unique farming bosses as hard as Varshan? Even at level 77 my WW barb barely makes his HP go down and I die in a couple of hits.

Duriel is for sure harder (he's level 100), grigore and beast in ice might be easier