Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing Signalis on Game Pass and it's cool so far although the Protektor area outstayed its welcome by a key or three. I don't really feel like rushing it but conscious of it leaving Game Pass in a few days, can anyone give me a rough estimate of how far in I am? Just got to the mines and they seem nice, there's a friendly large lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm playing Signalis on Game Pass and it's cool so far although the Protektor area outstayed its welcome by a key or three. I don't really feel like rushing it but conscious of it leaving Game Pass in a few days, can anyone give me a rough estimate of how far in I am? Just got to the mines and they seem nice, there's a friendly large lady.

Maybe halfway?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I read books super slow but visual novels really fast. There's something about the way dialog boxes are presented on screen that my brain can absorb without scanning every word.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Strawberry Panda posted:

I read books super slow but visual novels really fast. There's something about the way dialog boxes are presented on screen that my brain can absorb without scanning every word.

It's like those speed reading trainers where it flashes a single short line on the screen at a time, it just flashes through your head.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Note the 100% achievement.

Unless GOG is inaccurate. There is a 10 minute discrepancy between Playnite and GOG playtimes.

Steam version seems to have over ninety achievements so I highly doubt you've seen all there's to do.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Maybe halfway?

Well I sort of died but not really and now everything seems grand. Definitely curious as to where this is going but I strongly suspect it's going to be slightly too far in the "cryptic gibberish" direction for me lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ACHTUNG
ACHTUNG
PSYCHOLOGIE UND LESBEN VORAUS

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I finished signalis not too long ago. I can give you some light spoilers on how much you have to go

Have you noticed how there seems to be a theme of getting a bunch of key items and unlocking the exit to escape the level? You did probably about two of those before the mines. And I saw you just finished the mines. You're in the last area, collect all the keys in this area and you won't be too far from the end.

To give a quick answer, probably 2 hours

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 24, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Well I sort of died but not really and now everything seems grand. Definitely curious as to where this is going but I strongly suspect it's going to be slightly too far in the "cryptic gibberish" direction for me lol

I think by the end of the game you'll understand enough to mostly understand what has happened. There are a few unclear aspects of the story to me but overall I think by ending I understood what was happening and felt like it was a pretty great if very sad and heart wrenching story with minimal dialogue actually explaining exactly what is happening.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah Signalis is not really that hard of a game to understand on an emotional level. If you try to read it literally you'll drive yourself nuts but it's not really meant to be interpreted that way. It's not 100% metaphorical dream logic, but it's also a thing where the specific details of what is happening are deliberately vague and intended to serve the mood rather than establish a firm timeline of events. It's very much wearing its Silent Hill influences on its sleeve.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I just hope all the dead biorobogirls get to go to human heaven

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

you can also very much take it literally and try to string together a theory of what is actually going on.

I have seen like, 6 mostly-plausible theories that attempt to explain the game, each of them wildly different. there's a lot to chew on if you want to! but you don't have to. the details don't actually matter, as previously stated

I managed to put some time into Crow Country and it's pretty much exactly what I expected: a Resident Evil 1 derivative that doesn't really break away from any of its game design conventions. way more committed to being a time capsule than say, Signalis. harder than these types of games usually are, too, but I might just be bad

not that "derivative" means "no effort put into building a distinct world". I'm adoring the style, and the variety of locales. If you llike anticipating what scenery-dependent puzzles RE throws at you, you will like this one.

I love being reminded that I can still get scared

edit: oh, and there's an Exploration mode with no enemies! no excuse not to check this one out tbh

Ramie fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 24, 2023

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I just hope all the dead biorobogirls get to go to human heaven

they go to robotory like the neo testament clearly says

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

speaking of, been enjoying this even tho it's hard and the EA is kinda rough: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2290890/Endless_Dark/

kinda a personal taste pick but it's right for the thread

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Buck Wildman posted:

speaking of, been enjoying this even tho it's hard and the EA is kinda rough: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2290890/Endless_Dark/

kinda a personal taste pick but it's right for the thread

This is also a goon-made game; I unfortunately can't locate the thread atm.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr E posted:

I think by the end of the game you'll understand enough to mostly understand what has happened. There are a few unclear aspects of the story to me but overall I think by ending I understood what was happening and felt like it was a pretty great if very sad and heart wrenching story with minimal dialogue actually explaining exactly what is happening.

I'm in what I'm fairly sure is the last area now and I understand quite clearly that the point is that lesbians' souls can survive dying of radiation poisoning.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Oxxidation posted:

ACHTUNG
ACHTUNG
PSYCHOLOGIE UND LESBEN VORAUS

More posts like this

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!

Discendo Vox posted:

This is also a goon-made game; I unfortunately can't locate the thread atm.

Here you go. It's pretty slow, though. I found it on page 10.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Rabid Boar posted:

Here you go. It's pretty slow, though. I found it on page 10.

Well, we can change that!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played the demo for Crow's County, a retro-inspired horror game with an aesthetic that combines a Resident Evil and Final Fantasy VII, which is a neat look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1cICMVSTk

The demo was kinda neat. I think the main character is lacking in reaction to what's going on around her, but I'm digging the gameplay. Wish there was a bit more indication to interactive objects though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

More posts like this

GREAT HOLES SECRETLY ARE DIGGED
WHERE EARTHS PORES OUGHT TO SUFFICE

AND THINGS HAVE LEARNT TO WALK
THAT OUGHT TO CRAWL

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Norco isn't a horror game per se, but it's got some hella unsettling scenes. Also, part of the ending made my eyes tear up a bit.

I finished it last week and figured I'd share!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It is a cool game and I might finish it off before it leaves Gamepass but I really agree about the Protektor area wearing thin. You get keys that lead to other keys. Then MORE keys. It felt like a joke almost. They should've really trimmed this down.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
As a love letter to Silent Hill and Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid, I think Signalis is unparalleled. Like the tone and the aesthetics and the mechanics of the puzzles are spot on, with the dedicated close-up camera angles for foreboding paintings or statues, the fetching of gems and keycards.....I'm a sucker for that poo poo and its why I love Resi7 so much. Its already so accomplished just on that level, as a loving salute to that era and style of games, that its really rather remarkable that it also carries along this vibey, existential, ambiguous time-loop narrative.

That said, I was carried along purely by nostalgia and vibes, and have absolutely no idea what the actual story is.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

roomtone posted:

It is a cool game and I might finish it off before it leaves Gamepass but I really agree about the Protektor area wearing thin. You get keys that lead to other keys. Then MORE keys. It felt like a joke almost. They should've really trimmed this down.

Yeah I can see the inventory space was a point of contention for a lot of people. It didn't bother me much overall but made some repetitive back and forth even more repetitive. Forcing a slot for the torch feels pretty lame. You're calling it a module, I have a radio module that isn't taking up a slot. Whatever.

It does some weird stuff like if you find bullets for a gun you're using, it automatically tries to load them without having to do the inventory shuffle, but it doesn't let you use healing items you find without clearing an inventory space. Make up your mind!

I've also found it a bit too generous with ammo and stuff, I've only been playing on Normal but I'm now just running around Rotfront with 30 bullets for each gun mowing everything down and burning the bodies. I do like the catharsis moments like that but pretty sure I could have killed basically every enemy and still been fine

I do like that Ariane is basically Cthulhu. Fell on a weird planet and is now in a horrible death/dream state and her dreams are loving up reality . It's a neat way of exploring that idea without feeling forced in / overly obvious like, uh, all the direct quotes are.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 25, 2023

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Went to check news for stygian reign of the old ones but the dev team seems gone
Rip

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I am also giving Signalis another play-through to finish if before it's off Gamepass, which lined up great with a $1, 14 day offer to re-up my subscription. Currently on what's been heavily signposted to be the final boss, though I haven't beaten her yet. Will likely do so in my next attempt.

I've heard their are multiple possible endings (not including the fake ending). How easy are they to achieve? Not sure I'll have time to play through the game multiple times again to see them all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You'd have to replay the entire story to see them all, as they're based on how you played the game rather than being distinct dialogue choices at the end. I would just see what you get and youtube the others.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well there's also the secret happy end too but you can't get that first time and need to do some obscure stuff.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I'm playing the original Silent Hill just now. I was thinking after getting bored with the key stuff in Signalis that maybe the old survival horror gameplay just doesn't work anymore - but I'm having a really good time with Silent Hill. I never played past the first 20 minutes before, played all the others. So I think it's just a matter of making sure that each puzzle/key blockade leads to something that feels like progress and keeping things interesting moment to moment, not letting the gameplay deteriorate into an obvious combing of the area for keys (which is all it actually is), and definitely not doing this several times in a row in the same area.

I think it's just that this genre of gameplay has to be done well, and the little details really matter.

Although I've had to to look up the solution for 2 of the riddles in Silent Hill because they are baffling to me.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
please tell me you didn't need help on the bloody piano

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I remember being stuck at the three keys as a kid for a week because I didn't realize one dead end had a branch I could cross. My neighbor had to come over and show me.

That was the first, last, and only failure in my entire life.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

of course that's what i'm talking about!

there's blood on the keys, does that mean anything? no, it doesn't. it's obviously reducing the poem down to whether the birds in it are white or black, even though at least pelicans are both, and about playing the keys that don't make a sound in the order those coloured birds appear in the poem. super easy.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 25, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Resident Evil largely does the keyhunt puzzle bullshit well because it's patently ridiculous about it, and it can have bigger setpieces than something like Silent Hill. Yeah, sure, I have to fight a 50 foot titan zombie to get half of a picture of a unicorn to unlock the basement doorway, okay. It's blatantly just a stalling mechanism to get you into action pieces with no pretense of puzzle solving, and it's so obvious that it becomes okay. When Silent Hill makes it so you have to "figure out" how to make the handle for a trap door with some stupid MacGyver nonsense it isn't an actual puzzle, it's finding the three weird items on the map and then using them on the door.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Myst was my first online experience in discovering most people are apparently tonedeaf.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

roomtone posted:

of course that's what i'm talking about!

there's blood on the keys, does that mean anything? no, it doesn't. it's obviously reducing the poem down to whether the birds in it are white or black, even though at least pelicans are both, and about playing the keys that don't make a sound in the order those coloured birds appear in the poem. super easy.
I'm sorry, you failed one of the fabled gamer rites of passage.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i dont think ive ever had a problem with the piano puzzle, even on the first playthrough

the stupid one in nowhere with the pictures above keypads is the one that always gets me no matter how many times i replay it, because i always think its an astrology puzzle instead of a count the legs puzzle

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Is it easier or harder than the Danganronpa 2 Othello puzzle?

Only puzzle I've ever seen in a game where before you do it the game asks if you want to skip it entirely.

Strawberry Panda fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 25, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

idontpost69 posted:

I'm sorry, you failed one of the fabled gamer rites of passage.

yeah I'm just looking it up and it seems like this is a bit of of an infamous puzzle. the one in the hospital with the plates was not as bad but that's partly cos it's the same idea - throw away everything except the colours, so you're primed for it.

The valve puzzle in the school I got lucky and happened to put in the exact right valve turns on the first try.

I was laughing at how absurdly wide the streets in Silent Hill are, like 15 lanes wide. Now it just occurred to me they must have done this so they could load in the cells of the town without such obvious pop-in - like, you can't see what's on the other side of the street because it's half a mile away and they load it while you're in the middle. Pretty cool.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

roomtone posted:

yeah I'm just looking it up and it seems like this is a bit of of an infamous puzzle. the one in the hospital with the plates was not as bad but that's partly cos it's the same idea - throw away everything except the colours, so you're primed for it.

I was laughing at how absurdly wide the streets in Silent Hill are, like 15 lanes wide. Now it just occurred to me they must have done this so they could load in the cells of the town without such obvious pop-in - like, you can't see what's on the other side of the street because it's half a mile away and they load it while you're in the middle. Pretty cool.

No they just drive really big cars.