Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I hate that the fire station is too large to fit between two zoned streets. You basically have to have an awkward gap or do a weird street layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I'm getting around 70 FPS but everything is blurry and looks like rear end but i'm on high for most if not all settings.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wish you could lay down the bus route before you have to place a stop.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

One thing driving me nuts is that you can't easily do something like this:

Without dividing the street in half with an alley, and then dragging the asymmetric road in each direction. I'll do it this way but its click-intensive.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Grand Fromage posted:

Editor and mods are coming at some indeterminate future point. Probably not that far off since they gave a bunch of big CS1 mod/asset makers early access to it to get started.

yeah on donoteat's stream they mentioned they are working on a huge creator building pack for CO

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

The devs are entitled to their excuses and I understand that videogames are hard, but then again there are plenty of PC videogaming options in 2023 and I'm kind of burned out on buggy, unoptimized releases. So this is actually a deal breaker for me and it's a real bummer.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

It is a bummer, but if the alternative is them working on it behind closed doors for another few months, then you wouldn't be playing it either way.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks. I think sc2k used a custom sprite tileset font, and copying the letters one by one in photoshop.. no. Of course someone had coded a tool to generate memes based that!

It seems to be based on the Chicago font, considering SC2k was released for MacOS first and the DOS version kinda copied the MacOS GUI.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I'll do it this way but its click-intensive.

Now there is a thread title

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I feel like I struggle with putting too many services down. The constant popups about "we suck we're buying electricity! healthcare sucks!" make me put that stuff down but then I bleed money.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Elendil004 posted:

I feel like I struggle with putting too many services down. The constant popups about "we suck we're buying electricity! healthcare sucks!" make me put that stuff down but then I bleed money.

As far as I can tell you can completely ignore everything in chirper, there's no useful information at all.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
__really__ wish there was a way to town down chirpr, I generally play on the fastest speed and it's constantly dinging about some dick who thinks the weather is nice

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Danaru posted:

__really__ wish there was a way to town down chirpr, I generally play on the fastest speed and it's constantly dinging about some dick who thinks the weather is nice

wait a bit and there'll be a mod for it, C:S1 had a good one that cut that poo poo right out.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'm getting around 70 FPS but everything is blurry and looks like rear end but i'm on high for most if not all settings.

do you have dynamic resolution turned on?

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Danaru posted:

My favorite part of the launch live stream was when they interviewed the CEO and she revealed it was basically her pet project; it makes perfect sense. Of course a feature that stupid and annoying that everyone mods out would be the CEOs favorite.

EDIT: Too add more context, from this article:
https://www.pcgamer.com/there-will-be-a-chirper-for-sure-in-cities-skylines-2-says-colossal-order-ceo/

quote:

"Chirper has kind of become the mascot of the game," Hallikainen said. "Unintentionally. It was not planned at all. I think it's something that brings that element of humor and fun in the game that is outside of the city building experience. And it's definitely part of the Cities: Skylines world, of the universe.

"So, yeah. It will see its own iteration. There will be a Chirper, for sure" in Cities: Skylines 2, Hallikainen revealed.

Hallikainen also told me she was the one who came up with Chirper in the original Skylines. "The feature was my idea," she said. "So I have very strong feelings about it." (I believe her, because I once saw her being interviewed while wearing a shirt with a picture of Chirper chirping the words "Give me a chance!")

"It's something that was my only contribution—and then I think someone commented that it's good that CEOs don't take part in game development, because that's the result," she said.

But Hallikainen clearly has a good sense of humor about Chirper, and doesn't seem to mind that not everyone was on board with the noisy little mascot.

"I think really, truly, the mark of a successful game is that when you launch the game, and the only thing people complain about is the tiny bluebird, you have done something right," she said. "So, no hard feelings."

sim fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 25, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Danaru posted:

single-family homeowner constantly complaining that they live next to a chemical plant.

why did you buy it then??? shut up

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah I think Chirper is either bugged or lags super far behind the simulation; they kept complaining about power/water/sewage even though those services were far under-utilized; my guess was that they were backed up from the very beginning of the game when you're still plopping stuff down.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's why they moved to the paradox mod store,so the CEO can ban any mod that removes chirper

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Digital Jedi posted:

That's why they moved to the paradox mod store,so the CEO can ban any mod that removes chirper

you can already turn it off

RoyalScion posted:

Yeah I think Chirper is either bugged or lags super far behind the simulation; they kept complaining about power/water/sewage even though those services were far under-utilized; my guess was that they were backed up from the very beginning of the game when you're still plopping stuff down.

the radio messages will complain about service outages that happen while the game is paused so it might also be that

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

DrSunshine posted:

Hearing all these reports of people with 4090s getting 10fps and stuff makes me really wonder what kind of machines are the developers using? Are they testing the game on normal computers or are they testing it on very specific, insanely powerful supercomputers?

It probably ran lovely on their computers too, but they left it alone thinking they could go back and fix performance later, right up until the deadline was getting close and everything's taking longer than planned and the features aren't all done yet and the publisher won't let them change the release date and oh god oh gently caress we're out of time

it's very important for management to keep the scope of the game under control, plan things accurately, and allow sufficient room in the schedule for things to go wrong. pushing back a release date that's already been announced is hard and the publishers hate to do it unless the the game is in an incredibly dire state. and even then it can be hard to convince them

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Chirper popping up with people whining about how hot it is still is annoying but at least in CS1 it was helpful when you would have a corpse rotting in a building somewhere and it would let you know. The idea is fine, the problem is that most of the tweets aren't relevant or they're for problems that are fixed the tick after the tweet is sent.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i am trying to build a high density city core but there are zero buildings getting built and every commercial block is complaining about lack of customers. there are a handful of apartment towers but all of them are full on residents when i click into them and yet no new ones are being built. what am i missing with how demand works

also - no intercity train routes? i have built a train station but there is nothing coming from the outside connections. i guess i have to set up a line myself? i am insanely stupid and just realized you have to manually make a line to the edge of the map. lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's funny that somebody thinks an in game Twitter clone would be endearing in the year 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Popete posted:

It's funny that somebody thinks an in game Twitter clone would be endearing in the year 2023

The twitter clone working very poorly is very apropos, though.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

barnold posted:

i am trying to build a high density city core but there are zero buildings getting built and every commercial block is complaining about lack of customers. there are a handful of apartment towers but all of them are full on residents when i click into them and yet no new ones are being built. what am i missing with how demand works

also - no intercity train routes? i have built a train station but there is nothing coming from the outside connections. i guess i have to set up a line myself? i am insanely stupid and just realized you have to manually make a line to the edge of the map. lol

HMMM I didn't get the train thing to work, but I was building busses and it said to do an outside connection for a bus, you have to start the line in a stop inside your city, and then click on an outside connection at your city's edge and it'll link up. Probably the same deal with trains, I have to try that tonight.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

barnold posted:

also - no intercity train routes? i have built a train station but there is nothing coming from the outside connections. i guess i have to set up a line myself?

I haven't reached anywhere near that point myself in the game, but I think high density developing is dependent on high land values too. The land values in part rises as an effect of services available, but more in response to demand exceeding supply. The addresses already need to be desirable before you zone for high density.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

nielsm posted:

I haven't reached anywhere near that point myself in the game, but I think high density developing is dependent on high land values too. The land values in part rises as an effect of services available, but more in response to demand exceeding supply. The addresses already need to be desirable before you zone for high density.

this would make sense i guess but i'm playing with unlock all/unlimited money on. i just want to build a cool looking urban core and watch it fill in and i guess i'm not allowed to do that. so far i am not very impressed with the creative freedom in this game and will probably just go back to playing CS1 until this thing gets some updates out

in CS1 i could just slap a bunch of high density down and boom, i'd have some sweet apartment buildings that would grow into better buildings as the city expanded

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
This game desperately needs to bring back the "no zoning on this road" feature. Trying to get arterials built in an industrial area and not waste a mega fuckton of space is insanely difficult. I found a workaround where you can use 1 lane highways to block off the roadside, build your collectors, zone and then delete the blockers but this is annoying as gently caress.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If there's no rail connection to the end of the map, can I make my own once I get a tile that touches the border? I have ocean access so it's not a big deal, but it'd be a bummer for my eventual shipping district

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Another small feature that seems to be missing, or maybe has had its activation moved to something else, is flipping the direction of one-way roads. Or maybe it's no longer possible because of the more complex road-building with lanes splitting off etc?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

nielsm posted:

Another small feature that seems to be missing, or maybe has had its activation moved to something else, is flipping the direction of one-way roads. Or maybe it's no longer possible because of the more complex road-building with lanes splitting off etc?

nah it is missing. the only way to change the direction is to delete the entire segment of road and then make sure you are putting it down in the direction you want it to go. it's super annoying

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

^^^ Maybe I misread the tool tip then, I thought you could flip it still

nielsm posted:

It's definitely possible, there's a tutorial for it, although I don't remember the method. Can you replace the road with an opposite facing one for free?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

nielsm posted:

barnold posted:

nah it is missing. the only way to change the direction is to delete the entire segment of road and then make sure you are putting it down in the direction you want it to go. it's super annoying

Use the replace road tool function. No need to delete. It will follow the exact path of the existing road.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

barnold posted:

Nope. Switch to the replace tool on the one way road and click drag the opposite direction to change it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Nope. Switch to the replace tool on the one way road and click drag the opposite direction to change it.

was that in the tutorial? i don't remember seeing that when i went through it but good to know

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

No idea, I skipped the tutorials.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

:ohdear:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

From Reddit: Built-in Road Anarchy

quote:

Go to Steam, Cities:Skylines 2, Properties. Add --developerMode to LAUCH OPTIONS. Start the game.

While in game, select Road tool, then press Tab, go to Simulation and set "Bypass validation results" checkbox.

Press Tab again to close the window.

You can build on water, through the bridge or right on top of other road, etc etc.

P.S. Did not find how to plop adult trees, but there are other cool things there.

Please note, that changing most of other settings in developers tool will break gameplay.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

barnold posted:

residential demand is tied to rent, household size, physical household size, citizen age and actual land value. families with children don't like studio low rent apartments, single young people probably won't be able to afford a single family home, the elderly prefer public transportation or driving over walkability, etc.

rent is also the cost of upkeep divided by the number of tenants, and high density buildings have the highest upkeep by a significant margin, so you may be running into an issue where high density buildings won't be made until enough people are willing to move into one to keep the rent affordable

i think the game also tells you to zone more commercial than you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

turn off the TV posted:

you can already turn it off

:doh: I don't know how I missed that