Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The picks were backbreakers with the game still up for grabs so I think it's fine to give Purdy his portion of blame and feel generally grouchy about another ugly loss but it's been so funny to spend the day combing comment threads and stuff and seeing people go "no way. dealbreaker. not the guy. we need to move on NOW" and understand they're calling for Sam Darnold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I for one would very much like to watch Kyle Shannahan turn Sam Darnold into virtually the same QB as Purdy after an entire career of being completely mid

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rad Valtar posted:

The Niners lost to Chicago, Denver and Atlanta last year can we just calm down for a moment.

I am calm. Disappointed, but calm.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

On that first drive on the 3rd and 12, the video replay showed Warner looking back over his shoulder before the ball was passed. If he was watching Cousins, he easily stops that from being a 1st down and the drive is over. No idea what he was looking at but he wasn't watching the play after the snap.

I mean, the ball is snapped and he turns and looks back towards the safeties or something. Just a heads down play. Or head facing wrong direction.

I liked how Aikman on that play was like "Hockenberg does a great job of finding the hole in the zone!" And not like, Fred Warner was looking at the off to the side and left a gap in the middle of the field that was about 20 yards wide.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I will never give Grant Cohn anything. Dudes a loving hack who has never liked Kyle ever.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

Goodbye Brett Maher, hello Lucas Havrisik

Maher had to go, but I'm not impressed with Havrisk's college stat line (zero NFL experience):

XPM 73 XPA 78 XP% 93.6
FGM 34 FGA 53 FG% 64.2 :cry:

Maher's worse FG% was 66.7% in 2019 (20 for 30)

Havrisk is the best they could get? Yikes.

It's such a shame they couldn't afford to keep Matt Gay.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Forrest on Fire posted:

I for one would very much like to watch Kyle Shannahan turn Sam Darnold into virtually the same QB as Purdy after an entire career of being completely mid

Statistically Sam Darnold is one of the very worst QBs of the 21st Century. "Mid" would be a massive improvement for him.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Bask in the awfulness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA9sLlFR3V8

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has Wilks been fired yet?

Cuz he really should have been by now. You don't let someone who makes calls that bad stay in a position where he can do it again. It's just too risky and the stakes are too high.

I know there are a litany of dumb decisions over the years, but in terms of something that looks like a relatively normal play, that has to be up there among the all-time worst.

There was basically nothing to gain and everything to lose. It just showed complete lack of in-game awareness.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Benne posted:

Statistically Sam Darnold is one of the very worst QBs of the 21st Century. "Mid" would be a massive improvement for him.

He has comparable stats to Mark Sanchez which I find pretty amusing.

Very worst QBs of the 21st century is pushing it when Kyle Boller, Ryan Lindley, Josh Rosen, Johnny Manziel, Brody Quoyle, Jimmy Clausen all played offensively bad football.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Has Wilks been fired yet?

Cuz he really should have been by now. You don't let someone who makes calls that bad stay in a position where he can do it again. It's just too risky and the stakes are too high.

I know there are a litany of dumb decisions over the years, but in terms of something that looks like a relatively normal play, that has to be up there among the all-time worst.

There was basically nothing to gain and everything to lose. It just showed complete lack of in-game awareness.

If they did that, then they would be admitting they were wrong to hire him in the first place. This is an organization that doesn't like to admit they were wrong until they absolutely must.

Edit: I don't know much about his coaching style, but he's completely different from Saleh and Demeco, so maybe there is going to be growing pains along the way. From what I've heard people say is he's a DB coach. 49ers have most of their talent and money invested in DL/LBs.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Seeing reports that Frank Clark is signing with SEA.

Cool I guess.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Forrest on Fire posted:

Did he ever get over mono, or is that just a permanent thing?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

That's disappointing. Before I couldn't think of any Seahawks with DV reports off the top of my head.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jfa agrees with me that this poo poo ain't on Purdy

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Purdy was fine almost the whole game. I never saw a replay of the 2nd INT but up to that point he'd been really good. The first INT looked more like miscommunication than a bad throw. For it to be that far off, he must have thought Jennings was going to be in a completely different place. I think headed into the last drive he was close to 80% completion rate.

The offensive problems were really just an unlucky fumble that doesn't happen if the defender isn't underneath CMC. A missed FG and the OL being poo poo, as usual. They had the ball 3 times in the first half and should have had at least 17. 3 possessions in a half is just sad, though. That was on the D being total garbage and never being able to get the ball back.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Benne posted:

Darnold actually looked "fine" in the preseason. He knew the parts of the offense that were installed, he made his reads at an acceptable rate, and put the ball pretty much where he was supposed to. With Deebo and Williams back, he can run something that resembles our offense. We'd still lose unless the defense untucks itself, but it probably wouldn't be on him.

The one thing I am sure of, he looked waaaaaaaaay better than Trey Lance did.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Nervous posted:

That's disappointing. Before I couldn't think of any Seahawks with DV reports off the top of my head.

I get that disappointment, but also believe in second chances. Has he had any recent issues with the law? (I did not look for myself cause I kinda do not want to know)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nervous posted:

Jarran Reed served a 6 game suspension in 2019 for DV.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Purdy was fine almost the whole game. I never saw a replay of the 2nd INT but up to that point he'd been really good. The first INT looked more like miscommunication than a bad throw. For it to be that far off, he must have thought Jennings was going to be in a completely different place. I think headed into the last drive he was close to 80% completion rate.

The offensive problems were really just an unlucky fumble that doesn't happen if the defender isn't underneath CMC. A missed FG and the OL being poo poo, as usual. They had the ball 3 times in the first half and should have had at least 17. 3 possessions in a half is just sad, though. That was on the D being total garbage and never being able to get the ball back.

He shows it in the vid, Jennings ran a really bad route so the timing was off

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

Wonder if defenders are intentionally trying to get under CMC like that to strip it.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1717266037148643787?s=20

Sam Darnold's entrance music

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Purdy out for sunday's game with a concussion :(

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Concussions suck and I hope he gets back fine but I just have to say: hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Papercut posted:

Purdy out for sunday's game with a concussion :(

I mean is he officially out? Or is it a wait until Saturday/Sunday morning and see if he's clear?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
oh… oh… time to whip out the vodka

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Shindragon posted:

oh… oh… time to whip out the vodka

I hope you brought enough for everyone

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I wouldn’t be a good host if i didnt. Also if i recall most qbs who go into concussion protocol do not tend to play that week

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's the bengals, maybe sam darnold can beat them anyway

weirder things have happened

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shindragon posted:

I wouldn’t be a good host if i didnt. Also if i recall most qbs who go into concussion protocol do not tend to play that week

Pickett did it last year but there is a certain amount of time built into the process so it’s not common.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

it's the bengals, maybe sam darnold can beat them anyway

weirder things have happened

It's the true test of whether QBs play good because Shanny offense or not.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Well we're in some pretty poo poo now man.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

this thread is about one 49er loss away from LOST SEASON posts

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tweak posted:

We'll get there just wait.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sam Darnold will be great in this SF game.

His head is almost a perfect cube, he has potential for greatness.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tweak posted:

Realistically, they are 2 plays away from being 7-0. Dunno if it is LOST SEASON at this point. Adjusting expectations to a playoff loss due to moron defensive coordinator is probably a wise choice, though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tweak posted:

OTOH Sam Darnold

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
If Kyle Shanahan can make Sam Darnold look like an actual NFL QB, he should win Coach of the Year immediately after the game.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

This is my advice for Sam Darnold: trust the Run and all will be revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I honestly keep confusing Sam Darnold and Sam Bradford in my head and I don't know why.