Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PriorMarcus posted:

Lego is in a weird place still with 18+ sets. They seem to be pushing the adult market more and more, and getting licenses more and more geared towards adults but still insisting that every set be appealing to children.

They even say as much in the designer reveal video for this.

Give them a few more years and you'll be seeing sets that aren't aimed at children at all.

Adults also like to play with their supremely expensive plastic toys thank you very much :colbert:

seriously, this is one of the reasons why I prefer original Lego to knockoffs and bootlegos. They're, usually, a lot more playable and "fun" because they're just thought that way from the start even if aimed at adults, and I love it! I'm into this also for nostalgia and ease-of-use reasons, if I wanted to make "serious stuff to look at" I'd probably be into making scale dioramas, painting miniatures and all that jazz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yall are crazy, the ornithopter looks great and other than a handful of red pins the exposed technic matches the source.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ohhh these look cute

https://twitter.com/Falconbricks/status/1716868761574388039

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Thanks, I love them.

But also I need just the pots, Lego!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

I kind of get it. I was the kind of kid who absolutely would have been into Dune and would have loved a set like this, but on the other hand I also would have been just as into a more accurate model with less moving parts.

I think this is what stopped me picking up The Batman Batmobile

Like this is a nice attempt at matching the movie version, but it doesn't really look like the Batmobile. The lines are all wrong.

They missed the flared side wings at the back of it entirely.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 25, 2023

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Oh dear, I never really compared that set side by side, that looks awful.

otoh you can turn that set into a near flawless 1989 technic Batmobile

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-115452/Dyens%20Creations/1989-batmobile-42127-alternate-model/#details

after it got recommended here (I think) and another acquaintance built it, a buddy and me got the instructions and the set while it was on sale recently and it's insane how well it uses all these parts, especially the action that lifts up the guns is so good and probably the best implementation out of all the others. I know the flaps popping off is movie accurate but them folding open is just so much more convenient.

Seriously, it's totally worth it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pots good, the other sets... less inspired, imo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The daffodils are just a small set they put in kiosks in the stores. Not super detailed but they fill out the bigger vase sets real nice.

Those roses look fantastic.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

xzzy posted:

Those roses look fantastic.

They look alright but also like an immensely boring build.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

god this thread is so grumpy

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

gschmidl posted:

Didn't you build the 5000 grey piece star wars triangle?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gschmidl posted:

None of the flowers are super fun. It's a lot of repetition from start to finish. But the results are worth it.

If you want non repetitive fast builds, go assemble a city police station or something.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I have built the Yoda's Hut diorama. I have built the Haunted House amusement park ride. I fear no evil.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zwille posted:

Oh dear, I never really compared that set side by side, that looks awful.

otoh you can turn that set into a near flawless 1989 technic Batmobile

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-115452/Dyens%20Creations/1989-batmobile-42127-alternate-model/#details

after it got recommended here (I think) and another acquaintance built it, a buddy and me got the instructions and the set while it was on sale recently and it's insane how well it uses all these parts, especially the action that lifts up the guns is so good and probably the best implementation out of all the others. I know the flaps popping off is movie accurate but them folding open is just so much more convenient.

Seriously, it's totally worth it.

That alt built rules. Actually nails the 1989 Batmobile look a hell of a lot better than the base The Batman's version, that's for sure.

But yeah I'm hoping they take another non-Technic run at it later, cause it's an amazing car.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Waltzing Along posted:

Didn't you build the 5000 grey piece star wars triangle?

12000ish :negative:

xzzy posted:

None of the flowers are super fun. It's a lot of repetition from start to finish. But the results are worth it.

Oh, I have most of the other flowers, but the bouquets and succulents at least mix it up a little. I'll check them out when they're officially announced - it's not like it's an endlessly long build like I imagine the Colosseum or various soccer stadia to be.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oy, guess I’ll wait until November 1st to buy the Viking Village and the giant minifigure, so I get the GWP. I really want the house, but $250 is so much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think my ‘didn’t enjoy the build, but really like the result’ set is the Star Wars trench one. Other than the little ships at the end, it was just a bunch of abstract grey shapes for the most part. Glad I didn’t pay full price for it, am glad it’s sitting on my shelf looking cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The UCS Star Destroyer is actually a really good build. Much better than the Falcon.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Oy, guess I’ll wait until November 1st to buy the Viking Village and the giant minifigure, so I get the GWP. I really want the house, but $250 is so much.

The Houses go for, like, $30 new on Bricklink if you really want them. I have the first 2 and have the next 2 on order/

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Do we think the ornithopter will be available in general stores? Thinking I could probably save a few quid by not ordering it from Lego directly.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It will definitely be available because it is already on Target.com. It may not be available day one, but it will be relatively quickly. It's not an exclusive set.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh man this is great!
https://twitter.com/deralego/status/1717485552977711205

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I want that. :dogstare:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

Similar with most of the sets with trees now. Like the A-Frame has you building a lot of copies of the same leaf clusters.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
PKMN Trainer red is going to have to build one in every color to do the Everyone Is a Giant Robot

E: and theyre going to all hold regular sized spacefigs as the babies, who are also holding baby space figs

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Big Benny needs to come with a Little Spaceship!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I want the giant spaceman.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

mutata posted:

The Houses go for, like, $30 new on Bricklink if you really want them. I have the first 2 and have the next 2 on order/

What kind of price do people charge for shipping those sets, I really want them too. The lack of that has put me off using the site as I have no idea how much they’re going to charge, and you don’t see the price until you’ve essentially committed to buying right?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mutata posted:

I want the giant spaceman.

I am a little bummed that the chin piece isn't askew/busted.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Tarquinn posted:

I want that. :dogstare:

:same:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I got the following email regarding my Ornithopter order.

quote:

Thanks for ordering from LEGO.com. The item(s) listed below are currently out of stock, so it will be a little longer before we can ship them to you. We're sorry about the delay. Any pre-order items you may have ordered aren’t delayed, but may appear below.

etc
Does this mean it won't be shipped in the first wave, or is this a standard thing for pre-orders?

The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm going to need some more Atreides and Fremen stillsuits to go with it. Hopefully lepin will make some. And some Harkonnen and Saudakar too.

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 26, 2023

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

That's just the standard response for pre-orders, at least in my experience. You'll get it drat near release day.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

deoju posted:

I got the following email regarding my Ornithopter order.

Does this mean it won't be shipped in the first wave, or is this a standard thing for pre-orders?

The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm going to need some more Atreides and Fremen stillsuits to go with it. Hopefully lepin will make some. And some Harkonnen and Saudakar too.

That’s standard with preorders. System flags it as oos so it sends that email out.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

What kind of price do people charge for shipping those sets, I really want them too. The lack of that has put me off using the site as I have no idea how much they’re going to charge, and you don’t see the price until you’ve essentially committed to buying right?

It's hit or miss. I've gotten small sets shipped for $10 from Europe to US, but also I've had people want to charge a lot. You kinda have to browse a bit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s tough too since it’s very easy to just spend $20 shipping anything in the US.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Minimalist poster for Indiana Jones 6?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
It's Perry the Platypus, from the cartoon Phineas and Ferb. The running joke is that he's just an ordinary pet platypus, but when he puts the hat on he becomes a spy.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

I got this and I love you for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
In other news, when is the next double points? I know I just missed one but I thought that was specific to certain themes. Is Black Friday a thing? I have terrible memory so I can't remember