Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

That leads me to my next recommendation: magnifiers!

I honestly can't do poo poo without them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Careful with the pin vices on Amazon; a lot of the cheap ones come with bits that are flat on the tip and are basically useless for actually *drilling.* I got one a while back that has a nice handle but ended up having to buy a full new set of bits from Army Painter.

Buy your drill bits at a hardware store. It can be a pain to find an actual 1mm one but proper tempered bits will cost about twice as much as anything aimed at a hobbyist but last literally forever in a a pin vise. Trying to make the random garbage that comes packaged in with your pin vise work is a pointless exercise in frustration.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Even if you use the lovely bits they'll probably end up breaking off in one of your projects, so do yourself the favor of replacing them immediately. Bits are consumables, anyway, even good ones will eventually blunt or get damaged and need replacing.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh yeah, totally; my cheap pinvice has an amazing handle but those bits loving suck. Even doing the knife thing is hard if you're trying to be super precise; I still can't line up bolter barrels correctly doing that.

I find it easier to use a slightly smaller bit and correct the inevitable bad alignment afterwards with the tip of a knife.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

A good use for the lovely bits is as a hole punch for thin metal sheets to make studs. Just flip the bit in the vice so you have a flat surface for the punch.
Just punch them out on a silicon mat to make life easier

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Lostconfused posted:

I'm in the GTA, Richmond Hill.

Heroes World is a pretty well known longtime store from the Markham area that moved to ~Leslie and 7, they do host games quite often and run decently frequent leagues.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Demilich posted:

That leads me to my next recommendation: magnifiers!

I honestly can't do poo poo without them

I had a decent pair before my puppy dog went and ate em. Still haven't replaced them yet and I might have to change that this holiday season.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How'd I do, haven't painted a blue boy in a year or so

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

looks good to me!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I bought two Field Odnance Batteries because I thought each kit built a field cannon and either a las cannon or rocket launcher. I did not realize one kit would build two field cannon. Oops!

Is there anyway to get a hold of just like, spare carriages or something? I'd love to not just let these extra guns go to waste.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you're US, check ebay for bits. If you're UK then there's a whole bunch of bits sites you can use like bits & kits and bitzbox.
If the stuff is available however is very much crapshoot.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
People sell the actual GW bits separately but they'll probably be pretty expensive for what they are. I bought some industrial tools to use on my acolyte hybrids in 9th cause the box only came with 1 each and then didn't actually end up getting them put together before 10th came out and made all the industrial tools the same and also apparently crap.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That kit is also pretty magnet-friendly, which might be an easier option.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How'd I do, haven't painted a blue boy in a year or so

Maybe I'm looking for something to nitpick, not that I have any experience with painting

it looks good except for the highlights on the bracer and the backpack. They don't seem to blend in as well as on the other parts of the miniature, even when scaled down. It could be just the angle too, what do I know.

The shading on the middle robe thing is kinda eh, but it's also dark so it doesn't stand out.

The skeleton standard came out great though. It's really busy so all the color and the shading blends into a nice cohesive image.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah idk how to paint fabric :shrug:

Also the highlights are me trying to do something without properly blending

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Athas posted:

She also managed to convert a The Masque model (normally a Slaanesh daemon) to a Solitaire

That's both fantastic, and lore-accurate!

The Masque once infiltrated a Harlequin performance and enraptured the audience into her thrall with her dancing, until a Solitaire (the only member allowed to play Slaanesh in reenactments of Eldari History) showed up and broke the spell, engaging in a dance-off with the Masque for 6 days and nights until she missed a step and fled.

Cease to Hope posted:

another lore-accurate cool thing is that you can make up stories like that any time you want and say it's lore

True but my story's in the daemon codex

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Oct 26, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
another lore-accurate cool thing is that you can make up stories like that any time you want and say it's lore

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah idk how to paint fabric :shrug:

Also the highlights are me trying to do something without properly blending

One easy way to make fabric look good is to give it fat highlights (minimal blending skill needed, you can layer up or zenithal) on the raised bits, then matt it right down so it's not shiny.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

JBP posted:

One easy way to make fabric look good is to give it fat highlights (minimal blending skill needed, you can layer up or zenithal) on the raised bits, then matt it right down so it's not shiny.

Can you give me a visual aid

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Weird question, are there 'official' colors for Tau, Tyranid and Ork blood?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I was literally just looking it up last night to do a Painboss for Orktober. Theirs is red or a deep, almost black red, which tbh I found disappointing, I wanted it to be neon pink
No idea about Nids and Tau

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

I was literally just looking it up last night to do a Painboss for Orktober. Theirs is red or a deep, almost black red, which tbh I found disappointing, I wanted it to be neon pink
No idea about Nids and Tau

I had in my head that Ork blood was green as a part of their "We're all sentient fungus" thing. For Nids I'm pretty sure it's been portrayed as different colors at different times, possibly based on hive fleet? (Kidding, it'd be 'Whatever the author wanted'.)

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

bird food bathtub posted:

I had in my head that Ork blood was green as a part of their "We're all sentient fungus" thing. For Nids I'm pretty sure it's been portrayed as different colors at different times, possibly based on hive fleet? (Kidding, it'd be 'Whatever the author wanted'.)
I think ork blood used to be green but they switched to red to make it work better painting wise.
I think the same thing happened with Tau who sometimes have blue blood, sometimes red.

Edit: Googled it and found confirmation in the 4th end note from a Warhammer Community Article. "It’s been red from the first ever account of the sacred ta’lissera blood bond. We tried different coloured blood for our alien races – Orks had green blood at one point – but it just didn’t look right on the miniatures, nor in the art." - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/28/farsight-the-author-speaks/

neaden fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 26, 2023

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
That's what I was worried about, glad GW already did the legwork on this

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When you watch the Tyranids get ripped to shreds in any Space Marine 2 gameplay footage it's all completely arterial red*

But yeah, that might just be Hive Fleet Leviathan, which might also represent the majority of the species.

*this actually also applies to when you killed Orks in Space Marine 1.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Tyranids sometimes have purple blood referred to as "alien ichor" but it's hardly consistent.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Tyranids sometimes have purple blood referred to as "alien ichor" but it's hardly consistent.

Case in point:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I like to think of the different xenos blood by feeling they elicit rather than color. Tyranids should make you say "ewww grody". Orks should get "hell yeah, rad". Tau, a condescending "pathetic", because if you're seeing their blood you're probably close enough to be some flavor of marine pulling them apart with your hands like a starving Cajun at an anime mecha-crawfish boil.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

some flavor of marine pulling them apart with your hands like a starving Cajun at an anime mecha-crawfish boil.
Please don't steal my custom chapter.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

neaden posted:

I think ork blood used to be green but they switched to red to make it work better painting wise.
I think the same thing happened with Tau who sometimes have blue blood, sometimes red.

Edit: Googled it and found confirmation in the 4th end note from a Warhammer Community Article. "It’s been red from the first ever account of the sacred ta’lissera blood bond. We tried different coloured blood for our alien races – Orks had green blood at one point – but it just didn’t look right on the miniatures, nor in the art." - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/28/farsight-the-author-speaks/

GW being shockingly correct here. You paint the blood on your minis the best-looking colour, and if anyone complains it isn't canon, you punch them and run away yelling DOOOOORK

Just make sure their army is still on the table untouched. Even tabletop wargamers must have standards.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Safety Factor posted:

Please don't steal my custom chapter.

Complete with Chapter Master Zat A'Rains and 1st company chaplain Fraynke Dae-Vis.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 26, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Demilich posted:

To add, many bits on aliexpress are like this (flat) as well. To get around this flaw, use a knife tip to make a central point so you can keep your bit steady. I literally just stick the tip of the blade in and spin it a little bit, it works like a charm.

The pin vice itself that I got off Aliexpress however for $4 each are amazing though.

More like ebay "deals"
The prices are terrible usually.

To add more to this.

Dspiae (China Gundam modelling accessories maker) have a very nice pin vice which has an proper chuck like what you'd get on a power drill - it'll grab onto anything from sub-millimetre bits up until 3mm bits. It also costs the same as a regular cheapo hobby pin vice.

For drill bits I would suggest going to a hardware store and specifically buying singles
The bits in packs are usually poo poo and I went through so many until I realised that spending £3 for a pack of 20 useless HSS bits isn't the saving compared to spending £3 on a single cobalt bit that goes through pewter like a hot knife through butter.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Complete with Chapter Master Zat A'Rains and 1st company chaplain Fraynke Dae-Vis.
As if the chapter master would be anyone but Paul Prudhomme.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I am a bit confused about GW monetization of codex, core rules and their app.

Right now I can pursue pretty much everything in the app except for Space Marines and Tyranid, and it tell you if you want access you have to buy the codex. Even on the Warhammer Community page, the Space Marines are missing and Tryanid just have a rule clarification, not the codex.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000-downloads/

So basically, they release a whole bunch of stuff for free and now are just slowly putting it all behind a pay wall again?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

BadLlama posted:

So basically, they release a whole bunch of stuff for free and now are just slowly putting it all behind a pay wall again?

yep

:sun:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

:tif:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's really weird because some stuff is still accessible like whatever is in the Black Templar combat patrol or something.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Safety Factor posted:

As if the chapter master would be anyone but Paul Prudhomme.

The first, and most successful iteration of the Breadnaught chassis, at the very least.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

BadLlama posted:

I am a bit confused about GW monetization of codex, core rules and their app.

Right now I can pursue pretty much everything in the app except for Space Marines and Tyranid, and it tell you if you want access you have to buy the codex. Even on the Warhammer Community page, the Space Marines are missing and Tryanid just have a rule clarification, not the codex.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000-downloads/

New Recruit is a better army builder and the fancy list printout has all the rules for every unit in an easy to read layout similar to index cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

It's really weird because some stuff is still accessible like whatever is in the Black Templar combat patrol or something.

Combat Patrols are all free forever cause they're the new entry point for plastic crack