Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

War Wizard posted:

Lol at banks being so poorly managedcorrupt that they just handed musk a bunch of money without caring about if he could ever pay it back. I wonder if it'll hurt his credit score.

If a man is rich it follows that he can only get richer. This is the basic theory of investment banking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The language in that article makes me think they were planning to re-sell the debt to someone else before things went to poo poo, but they kept it too long or things went to poo poo too fast and now they’re stuck holding the bag.

Subprime mortgage Elon-backed securities!

yook fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 25, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I mean they knew they were loaning him on something taking an immediate 25-50% haircut (analysts were looking at good Twitter as optimistically worth $30 billion, maybe only 15-20 billion) with room to grow and were confident that they could parcel it out at that rate to banks more enthusiastic about continuous debt service.

It is incredibly impressive that Elon was able to tank analyst views of Twitters value into the single digit billions before Christmas which is much faster than the ability of the banks to parcel it which would take 3-6 months just to have the discussions and do the paperwork.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Having a billion dollar albatross on your balance sheet as a bank this size is highly irregular. Just absolute rinky dink amateur poo poo like building cars in a parking lot or launching rockets without engineered exhaust venting or running a tram tunnel with cars.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

goatface posted:

If a man is rich it follows that he can only get richer. This is the basic theory of investment banking.

I mean statistically speaking this is true

You have to be quite stunningly incompetent to gently caress up at this scale

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Still have the app on my phone. Never got push notifications of recommended posts. Started getting a ton of them the last few days. Checked all my settings and there's no reason for them to be coming to me, but yet they come. Anyone else seeing this.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MasterSitsu posted:

Still have the app on my phone.

Found your problem, but there is an easy fix

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

MasterSitsu posted:

Still have the app on my phone. Never got push notifications of recommended posts. Started getting a ton of them the last few days. Checked all my settings and there's no reason for them to be coming to me, but yet they come. Anyone else seeing this.

People are gonna be all "just don't go on X loser lol" but the answer is Elon is selectively boosting conspiracy theories and right-wing ideology in addition to anything he himself posts that he thinks is especially "clever"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hazo posted:

Elmo destroyed an established and successful brand
It still can't be understated just how boneheaded a choice this was by Musk. It would be like someone personally taking on a loan the size of a small country's GDP to buy Google, then renaming the search engine something impenetrable like NLCV because those were the initials of his grandparents. The biggest thing Twitter had going for it was its brand, but no, Mr Tissue Paper Skin wants to prove Peter Thiel was wrong the whole time, dammit!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

yook posted:

The language in that article makes me think they were planning to re-sell the debt to someone else before things went to poo poo, but they kept it too long or things went to poo poo too fast and now they’re stuck holding the bag.

Subprime mortgage Elon-backed securities!

zedprime posted:

I mean they knew they were loaning him on something taking an immediate 25-50% haircut (analysts were looking at good Twitter as optimistically worth $30 billion, maybe only 15-20 billion) with room to grow and were confident that they could parcel it out at that rate to banks more enthusiastic about continuous debt service.

It is incredibly impressive that Elon was able to tank analyst views of Twitters value into the single digit billions before Christmas which is much faster than the ability of the banks to parcel it which would take 3-6 months just to have the discussions and do the paperwork.

It also helps that when they offered him the deal interest rates were still pretty low, so he only needed to make a small amount of money to pay back the interest, whereas now he has to pay something estimated to be closer to a billion if not 1.5 billion dollars every year.

This is why he has tweeted ~completely at random~ about how interest rates are the greatest evil and an unexpected enemy of enterprise.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

rotinaj posted:

Found your problem, but there is an easy fix

literally required for my job, but there's only one or two clients left on there, and they're on their way out very soon.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Tesseraction posted:

It also helps that when they offered him the deal interest rates were still pretty low, so he only needed to make a small amount of money to pay back the interest, whereas now he has to pay something estimated to be closer to a billion if not 1.5 billion dollars every year.

This is why he has tweeted ~completely at random~ about how interest rates are the greatest evil and an unexpected enemy of enterprise.

rising rates have also made it more difficult for the banks to offload their twitter debt

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MasterSitsu posted:

Instagram does this to me too. I turned off specific notifications within the app. Kept getting the notifications. Makes me wonder if there's something the smartphone APIs that is broken.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tesseraction posted:

The creditors can call time on their credit if there's a legally solid reason to believe their return on investment isn't going to be honoured. If Musk can't pay them back he forfeits either Tesla stock or Twitter.

Yeah, it was back when Tesla stock plummeted. Since he used a big chunk of stock as collateral for the loan, if the stock is suddenly worth half of what it originally did they can demand he pay a hefty percentage of the difference immediately.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He should start a private stock market and sell Twitter stock to high tier verified users

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean twitter does have fundamental value greater than any monetary amount. In that it's a propaganda line direct into the public consciousness and in that all politicos, businesses as journalists are essentially forced to use it.

Can't turn that into cash though, while political actors can definitely shuffle useful idiot Musk around indefinitely. Banks lose, new axis of evil wins!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

twitterphone is live

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i love that new features are now announced by unaffiliated elon fans rather than like, you know, a company account run by a sales team

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

kazil posted:

twitterphone is live
How is this different from discord? Like how is this not way worse discord

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

discord eventually bans its nazis

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why is a non* company account announcing features and musk reply guying it?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

PhazonLink posted:

why is a non* company account announcing features and musk reply guying it?

Because they are Elon's puppet accounts

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
you can't do online banking on discord

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Sir Tonk posted:

also it makes you sterile

only if you're not white, if you're white it makes you extra virile

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He should start a private stock market and sell Twitter stock to high tier verified users

In fact, Elon should start his own country.

With his own infrastructure system. And laws. And sovereignty. And all his fans can live there with him.

Preferably on Devon Island, or somewhere else in the Arctic archipelago and far away from normal people.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Does anyone else remember when Elon briefly talked about maybe making his own smart phones, and then for like several days, his fans were gushing about how they just couldn't wait to buy their Tesla phone, and how awesome it was going to be and how much better it was going to be than iOS or Android, like this was a very real thing that was happening?

I think I recalled that now as I was looking at a few cybertruck photos, because sometimes I still can't believe how people happily talk up his products and ideas when all I can see with my own two eyes are just empty promises, and truly, utterly poo poo products.

Yeah, I forgot about it until you brought it up but I clearly remember it happening. It was hilarious

Kale
May 14, 2010

Can't wait for Tesla to just randomly get all it's value back and then some for virtually no reason like it did over the course of the spring and summer this year. All he has to do is just get up on a stage and promise a whole bunch of crazy poo poo again and investors will just believe him wholesale and it'll rally because the guy just get's an endless extension on credibility that he doesn't deserve at all like any right wing nutjob with money does these days.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

lol for the video calls poo poo Twitter made it default to allow anyone to call you, you have to go into settings and turn it off

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

AlmightyBob posted:

lol for the video calls poo poo Twitter made it default to allow anyone to call you, you have to go into settings and turn it off

big deal that's how a phone works and you have no problem using those

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ya got me there

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ben shapino posted:

big deal that's how a phone works and you have no problem using those
:wrong:

i dislike using them quite a bit

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
that is how phones work. and, like x, it has become an infrastructure used almost exclusively by scammers and bots

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
elon will invent a new phone that is cooler than the iphone

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he will call it the xylophone

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean twitter does have fundamental value greater than any monetary amount. In that it's a propaganda line direct into the public consciousness and in that all politicos, businesses as journalists are essentially forced to use it.

Elon is working hard on that problem. Soon it will be as irrelevant and cloistered as Truth Social and he can move on to screwing something else up.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ben shapino posted:

The other Twitter owners should yank Elon's arms and legs off

:hmmyes:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He'd just post something cringe like "Buying Twitter cost me an arm and a leg!!!!!"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

now the #sports are calling you!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

It's... beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
#sports

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1717360486683955428