Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
For which system will you be getting Assassin's Creed: Mirage?
This poll is closed.
PC 14 18.67%
PS5 5 6.67%
XSX 3 4.00%
PS4 1 1.33%
XBO 1 1.33%
I am going wait for the Switch port 51 68.00%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

I know I'm slightly late to them but are the "La Mulana" games worth playing y/n

they are very good but you really have to be in the mood for a sprawling puzzle metroidvania that makes you take a shitload of notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It also helps if you are overly nostalgic for a game system that never came out in America

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gacha, gacha, gacha

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I know I'm slightly late to them but are the "La Mulana" games worth playing y/n

la mulana 2 is easily the best game of all time

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
la mulana is too hard

I've tried to play it twice and both times progressed a decent amount and then spent hours wandering around trying to figure out wtf to do and gave up

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

2 is easier

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Lol remembering biomutant a game where everyone covered in fur but they couldn't render fit worth a drat so everyone was covered in weird rectangles like a pinata
I remember preordering it for $2 due to a price error and then playing it for about 45 minutes

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

La-Mulana 2 is better than 99% of games but you almost certainly have to figure out, in the process of playing it, how to make your brain grow 2 sizes bigger. Grinch-style

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

la mulana is the game for you if you want to spend an hour poring over notes and feeling like a moron before having an a-ha moment and briefly becoming the smartest human alive

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How much of it is ARG poo poo? How many sliding block puzzles? Any Morse to decode? Magic squares to fill in?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hwurmp posted:

what the gently caress is a "del-ta"

A pretty disappointing Macross series.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

la mulana is the game for you if you want to spend an hour poring over notes and feeling like a moron before having an a-ha moment and briefly becoming the smartest human alive

I got plenty of thatfrom Outer Wilds. La Mulana is just impenetrable

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/10/star-citizens-squadron-42-campaign-is-feature-complete-after-11-years/

Star Citizen's single player campaign is feature complete after 11 years still no release date

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

la mulana and its sequel are great but there is not anyone alive that have gotten through both of them without consulting a guide at one point. Not one

I would still try to get through as far as you can just taking notes by yourself though, but there are definitely a couple galaxy brained puzzles in both of them that you would have to be on the dev's wavelength to get

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone here use reWASD?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

idk why anyone would buy that when steam input is free

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I remember preordering it for $2 due to a price error and then playing it for about 45 minutes

I can't remember if I refunded it on Steam or it was on GamesPass or something but I played for about as long as you. Too Many Cooks the game, it was like every dev had their own pet mechanic and the director was just like "yes" to everything regardless of how it fit or what it did for the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

homeless snail posted:

idk why anyone would buy that when steam input is free

Navigation controller support, for instance

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Is the “Recommend Me a Game Again” thread archived or something? Couldn’t find it anywhere.

The reason I ask is my 9 year old son really, REALLY wants to play an open world adventure and exploration game as he’s been watching me play Starfield.

That, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Outer Worlds, GTA are all games he’s super interested in, and also games that definitely have inappropriate stuff that he shouldn’t be seeing or hearing.

Everything I’ve been able to find it either too mature or not well realized as the others in the same style of wander around, stumble into quests, save the world, etc that Bethesda and Rock Star are so great at creating. Hell, i even thought that one of the Fable games, though dated, might be appealing and they were rated Mature, as well. A partial list of games I’ve tried to get him to play that I thought would somewhat align with what he’s looking for:
- Subnautica
- No Man’s Sky
- Zelda: BotW
- Sea of Thieves
- Minecraft (hundreds of hours already)
- LEGO City Undercover
- LEGO Worlds
- Slime Rancher
- Grounded
- Spider-Man

We have every major console + XGP and I can’t seem to find something that is playable for him - any suggestions or something I’m missing? Or is the nature of AAA games of that caliber is they need to be rated Mature?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sticksy posted:

Is the “Recommend Me a Game Again” thread archived or something? Couldn’t find it anywhere.

The reason I ask is my 9 year old son really, REALLY wants to play an open world adventure and exploration game as he’s been watching me play Starfield.

That, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Outer Worlds, GTA are all games he’s super interested in, and also games that definitely have inappropriate stuff that he shouldn’t be seeing or hearing.

Everything I’ve been able to find it either too mature or not well realized as the others in the same style of wander around, stumble into quests, save the world, etc that Bethesda and Rock Star are so great at creating. Hell, i even thought that one of the Fable games, though dated, might be appealing and they were rated Mature, as well. A partial list of games I’ve tried to get him to play that I thought would somewhat align with what he’s looking for:
- Subnautica
- No Man’s Sky
- Sea of Thieves
- LEGO City Undercover
- LEGO Worlds
- Slime Rancher
- Grounded
- Spider-Man

We have every major console + XGP and I can’t seem to find something that is playable for him - any suggestions or something I’m missing? Or is the nature of AAA games of that caliber is they need to be rated Mature?

Lego Island

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bugsnax (but try to redirect him before the ending sequence)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sticksy posted:

- Subnautica
- No Man’s Sky
- Sea of Thieves
- LEGO City Undercover
- LEGO Worlds
- Slime Rancher
- Grounded
- Spider-Man

Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga
Okami
Outer Wilds
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Supraland

recommendation thread is here

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 26, 2023

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

sticksy posted:

- Subnautica
- No Man’s Sky
- Sea of Thieves
- LEGO City Undercover
- LEGO Worlds
- Slime Rancher
- Grounded
- Spider-Man

King's Field

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Video Games Thx posted:

How much of it is ARG poo poo? How many sliding block puzzles? Any Morse to decode? Magic squares to fill in?

It's all self-contained, and more like what if Zelda had a 99th quest and cryptic riddles indicating where and how to access secrets rather than a collection of classic puzzles. You get an auto-decoder for weird languages and codes, as long as you can find it and its firmware updates and work around some of its quirks. Also the game has opinions about just hitting every wall to find secrets without understanding the riddles, and by that I mean booby trapped walls.

Personally I love it, but I needed a mystery game that'd keep me occupied for a long time. As a result my blind playthrough of La Mulana 1 has been ongoing since 2016, currently stuck in the last third where the riddles really ramp up, and I've got a shelf full of Pepe Silva charts and maps for it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No Man's Sky is already on your list but it's just Starfield but Good. It's pretty much without adult themes aside from occasionally fighting robots, spaceships, and zergy aliens. The gun is technically a multi tool that happens to be able to shoot, but it's really not a shooty game overall.

Has that list not hooked him or just looking for more options?

Grounded might be worth trying together. You said he's familiar with Minecraft already and its a great coop experience. I played with my buddy and there were a few times he mentioned this kind of game will be fun to play w his kids when they're old enough.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/10/star-citizens-squadron-42-campaign-is-feature-complete-after-11-years/

Star Citizen's single player campaign is feature complete after 11 years still no release date

quote:

Richard Tyrer, senior game director on Squadron 42, says in the video that the team is putting "extra emphasis on ensuring things feel fun." That includes the immersive feel of the cockpit and ship flight and ship AI.

Still gotta try and make it fun. This is typically done when games are "feature complete" I hear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

No Man's Sky is already on your list but it's just Starfield but Good.

Starfield's mediocre at best but let's not oversell NMS here

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like how chill No Mans Sky is. I just like exploring each solar system I visit and leaving my mark on each planet. But I wish it had a Starfield like story campaign.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The NMS "campaign" is pretty poo poo. The writing is poor and the only characters are weakly written and stupid.

A lot like a Bethesda cast only far fewer of them.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

Still gotta try and make it fun. This is typically done when games are "feature complete" I hear.

"Feature complete" usually means just hit Alpha, so yeah, adding polish that makes things feel fun is totally reasonable to start focusing on at this point. Nothing else about Star Citizen seems reasonable, such as taking 11 years to hit Alpha, but that part does check out.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sticksy posted:

- Subnautica
- No Man’s Sky
- Sea of Thieves
- LEGO City Undercover
- LEGO Worlds
- Slime Rancher
- Grounded
- Spider-Man

Yonder is combat-free and all about exploring around and solving minor puzzles

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Starfield's mediocre at best but let's not oversell NMS here

Fair enough. I should say "good for what it is." What it is has a ceiling on it and they've pushed it somewhat higher than the others trying the roughly same thing so far. The "dick around space doing bullshit" genre hasn't had a breakout star yet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Signalis got an update today with an option to make the flashlight and camera no longer take up inventory slots and also what sounds like an option to just make the inventory bigger, which was apparently one of the chief issues with the game, so that's nice.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I tried No Man's Sky for like 15 minutes on Game Pass and the mouse movement was so bizarre that I could not continue playing. I don't know what it was but it felt very floaty and like my turning speed was not consistent, but not in a way like mouse acceleration was on or anything, just like the game was just kind of approximating what I was trying to do with the mouse. I looked it up and people were just like "that's just how it is" so I uninstalled it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I haven't played my Yakuza 7 file in maybe 2 years?

This was my first one so I'm laughing at myself over all the stores there are that have items I don't have any of. These days I try to buy everything just in case a quest needs it. I have several part time hero requests that should be done but I didn't have the hoard habit yet.

I have to trust there is a reason my 3 dudes are hosts. They look great starting battles together, especially with Emi as Dealer. Just a whole party party.

I can't remember and am not seeing a prompt, but is there a reaction button I should be pressing when enemies attack me? I'm doing it out of habit without thinking about it, so I assume that's ancient muscle memory kicking in for a reason. But I've played 5 other Yakuza games since then that usually have some kind of reaction press so I can't be sure. I also keep trying to pull out Yagamis skateboard so

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I can't remember and am not seeing a prompt, but is there a reaction button I should be pressing when enemies attack me? I'm doing it out of habit without thinking about it, so I assume that's ancient muscle memory kicking in for a reason. But I've played 5 other Yakuza games since then that usually have some kind of reaction press so I can't be sure. I also keep trying to pull out Yagamis skateboard so

iirc there are only QTEs for attacks

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I believe it's O on playstation or B on Xbox. Push the button just before getting hit and you'll take reduced damage.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Feldegast42 posted:

la mulana and its sequel are great but there is not anyone alive that have gotten through both of them without consulting a guide at one point. Not one

I would still try to get through as far as you can just taking notes by yourself though, but there are definitely a couple galaxy brained puzzles in both of them that you would have to be on the dev's wavelength to get

Kinda wish I could stop my younger self from watching that La Mulana Let's Play so I could playthrough it blind. I'm never forgetting the one puzzle you have to solve by pausing the game and letting the pause animation run.

There's always the second game at least and I'll get around to that eventually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kinda wish I could stop my younger self from watching that La Mulana Let's Play so I could playthrough it blind. I'm never forgetting the one puzzle you have to solve by pausing the game and letting the pause animation run.

There's always the second game at least and I'll get around to that eventually.

Aw, bake sale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Game of Life for PS1 does not hold up.