Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If you spend an hour doing the prayer circle it's not bad. There's no immunity so can just keep praying over and over. It also doesn't fail like Treat Wounds where you end up poo poo out of luck for an hour.

Seems to roughly be the equivalent of Lay on Handsing over and over for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm doubtful that what you claim is true. Adding 11 minute increments to a system that previously used 10 minutes or less for everything increases logistical complexity for questionable benefit. Do you think this feat would be overpowered otherwise?

I've already read plenty of complaints online about tracking time outside of combat being too fiddly. My response was always that it is actually super easy for my group specifically because you can break it into 10 minute "rounds". This makes a common problem people have with the system worse. For a nearly negligible amount of hp. Maybe if you weren't an unthinking moron you'd see that.

edit:

The rules as written heavily incentivize breaking things down into 10minute chunks. I'm sorry if you are more interested in dunking on someone for not being able to count (lol, you got me, I'm somehow able to play pf2e without any mathematical ability) instead of how the game plays in person.

I'm playing AV with strict out of combat timekeeping. I have two or three houserules but otherwise follow everything as written. This change would be a pain in the rear end.

in exploration mode, time is explicitly not necessarily tracked in 10 minute chunks. if the gm wants to track time in 10 minute chunks they're allowed to, but there's nothing in the rules that forces anyone to do that. what exactly do you think rules as written means?

1 minute actions are fine. they're harder to use than 1 action abilities, easier than 10 minute abilities, which is important when time is fluid and tracked in different ways.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
There are a lot of people who handwave non combat stuff, ignore exploration activities, and find tracking time tedious. Few people play games as written, either accidentally or through houserules.

Tracking minutes is logistical overhead that doesn't add very much for most people. If you use the rules as written you still do so, regardless of whether it adds to your experience. It turns out though, if you use these rules, instead of hand waving them, it isn't that bad in practice because nearly everything defaults to 10 minutes. The gm can ask "what are you doing for the next 10 minutes" and everything runs smoothly because you don't have to track every single second or minute. A random 11 minute activity adds extra work for ??? If non 1 or 10 minute activities are cool and good why don't we have more of them?

If it is meant to be a 10 minute activity, like other posters have suggested, I'm less bothered by the feat.

Edited to be less adversarial.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 26, 2023

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If you spend an hour doing the prayer circle it's not bad. There's no immunity so can just keep praying over and over. It also doesn't fail like Treat Wounds where you end up poo poo out of luck for an hour.

Seems to roughly be the equivalent of Lay on Handsing over and over for an hour.

On the downside (upside?) you turn your party into a cult. lol

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Keeping track of the gameday down to the minute is some psycho level poo poo.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Keeping track of the gameday down to the minute is some psycho level poo poo.

you basically don't have a choice if you play an alchemist

in our AV game nobody else tracks minutes so i have to do it my own player rear end self so i know when my awkward duration buffs run out

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Did I misremember alchemist buffs and some of them don't follow 1 minute, 10 minutes, 1 hour standard setup?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cyouni posted:

Did I misremember alchemist buffs and some of them don't follow 1 minute, 10 minutes, 1 hour standard setup?

an hour is a loving awkward thing to track in a dungeon

so's 10 minutes if you're trying to fit as many encounters into the duration of your mutagen as possible

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 26, 2023

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

And awkward in a lot of different tabletop contexts.

It'd probably be helpful for Paizo or even someone random to write up a "1 hour equals" table for common exploration type activities. Like an hour can be compared to exploring 1 floor/20 rooms of a location, 1 full meal or social event, covering ~3 miles overland, etc etc... since I think in most storytelling contexts those things trigger more often in the narrative than "1 hour passes"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

And awkward in a lot of different tabletop contexts.

It'd probably be helpful for Paizo or even someone random to write up a "1 hour equals" table for common exploration type activities. Like an hour can be compared to exploring 1 floor/20 rooms of a location, 1 full meal or social event, covering ~3 miles overland, etc etc... since I think in most storytelling contexts those things trigger more often in the narrative than "1 hour passes"

I remember there being rules/GM advice somewhere about tracking durations.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Have we heard anything about what the remaster is doing for the Alchemist yet?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Have we heard anything about what the remaster is doing for the Alchemist yet?

Remaster Alchemist is not coming out until July 2024

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I remember there being rules/GM advice somewhere about tracking durations.

Here it is (the Monitoring Spell Durations sidebar): https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=530

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

boxen posted:

Yeah, I'd never read the thaumaturge stuff, but yeah the Weapon implements get a better attack of opportunity that lets you smack them off a concentrate action, and not just move or manipulate.

Neat!

Fighters can pick the level 10 Disruptive Stance feat to pull it off too, though it's a stance you have to set up (though as a bonus for them they interrupt the action on a regular hit not just a crit). I still think the "can AoO off a concentration action" stuff gets hilariously broken, but fortunately less so when PCs have it since NPCs don't do as many odd actions that trigger it, they are usually just attacking in some way. My personal favorite is still the fact that Recall Knowledge is a concentrate action susceptible to these interrupts ("I just remembered this is a bad idea!" *WHAM* "drat, what was I saying just now?"). Also those Investigators trying to plan ahead for the perfect attack get slammed in the face for just thinking about it, which kind of says who's the faster thinker there :D.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Andrast posted:

Remaster Alchemist is not coming out until July 2024
I have a lot of empathy for the challenge Paizo faces. Alchemist as a class concept can get too complex very quickly, but it's one that is in high demand among players I've run.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I kind of wish they released a "crafters" book in the rerelease that focuses on alchemist, inventors and some of other classes archetypes that are item focused. Alchemist could be served by consolidating all of the items that they have acquired from various releases over the years. It's a class that is basically entirely items but it's kind of annoying to find all the choices unless you look on AoN.

I feel this way about spell lists too, does anyone know if they are going to consolidate all the spells that have been released in the new core rulebook?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

gurragadon posted:

I kind of wish they released a "crafters" book in the rerelease that focuses on alchemist, inventors and some of other classes archetypes that are item focused. Alchemist could be served by consolidating all of the items that they have acquired from various releases over the years. It's a class that is basically entirely items but it's kind of annoying to find all the choices unless you look on AoN.

I feel this way about spell lists too, does anyone know if they are going to consolidate all the spells that have been released in the new core rulebook?

The thing is that there's a few big flaws with making books like this.

1) If they aren't the last books in the product line, you're just going to print more of whatever they're collecting and it suddenly goes from literally every spell/item/etc to most of the spells/items/etc, and that just ruins the whole point.

2) If you're including it in another book (like the new Player Core), either you reprint everything there and you add dozens of pages and make the printing process more expensive to include a bunch of content your biggest fans already have, or you have a list full of entries like Gouging Claw (Secrets of Magic) and you just made AoN but less useful because it's a physical book and you can't just click a link to see what it's referring to.

Anyway, the point is, they aren't reprinting the full spell lists in the Player Core. A lot of stuff's getting shaken up and some later spells might make their way into the corebook, but it's not going to reprint everything from Secrets of Magic or Dark Archive.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The thing is that there's a few big flaws with making books like this.

1) If they aren't the last books in the product line, you're just going to print more of whatever they're collecting and it suddenly goes from literally every spell/item/etc to most of the spells/items/etc, and that just ruins the whole point.

2) If you're including it in another book (like the new Player Core), either you reprint everything there and you add dozens of pages and make the printing process more expensive to include a bunch of content your biggest fans already have, or you have a list full of entries like Gouging Claw (Secrets of Magic) and you just made AoN but less useful because it's a physical book and you can't just click a link to see what it's referring to.

Anyway, the point is, they aren't reprinting the full spell lists in the Player Core. A lot of stuff's getting shaken up and some later spells might make their way into the corebook, but it's not going to reprint everything from Secrets of Magic or Dark Archive.

Yeah, I was kind of unsure on how much of a reset it's going to be once the updated core rulebook is out. Are they going to continue to print Secrets of Magic, Dark Archives, etc.? I know Rage of Elements is new and was made with the new updates in mind, but the old ones weren't.

I do wish they would kind of go more in on a "reset" though and just add the pages to the new core rulebook though. If I have to rebuy Secrets of Magic because that gets its own remake than its a wash either way. It's not really an issue 99% of the time because AoN is free, but it does suck when it goes down during a game.

vvvv The only one of those I still gotta get in book form is Treasure Vault, if it's staying pretty much the same I'll get it sooner rather than later.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 28, 2023

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
If it helps, the majority of spells people will want to use are in Secrets of Magic and Rage of Elements. The majority of items people will want to use are in the Treasure Vault. All three include some reprints from APs. It’s not a one stop shop, but it does let you focus on fewer places to look.

There’s also Archives of Nethys, if you’re willing to do all of the filtering. You can filter by any number of books and item/spell traits.

Edit: Bah, you posted a response first.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

gurragadon posted:

Yeah, I was kind of unsure on how much of a reset it's going to be once the updated core rulebook is out. Are they going to continue to print Secrets of Magic, Dark Archives, etc.? I know Rage of Elements is new and was made with the new updates in mind, but the old ones weren't.

I do wish they would kind of go more in on a "reset" though and just add the pages to the new core rulebook though. If I have to rebuy Secrets of Magic because that gets its own remake than its a wash either way. It's not really an issue 99% of the time because AoN is free, but it does suck when it goes down during a game.

They have mentioned literally nothing about remaking splatbooks. Half of why this is a remaster is so they can keep using Secrets of Magic et al as the main Pathfinder 2e splatbook on those topics. The other half is that they're taking this opportunity to get rid of a bunch of weird OGL cruft like Light and Dancing Lights being separate spells, which means their completely-original splatbooks have much fewer things to change in the first place. Yeah, they'll have changes eventually, but that's the kind of thing that can be covered by a meatier-than-usual errata pass instead of making Secrets of Magic 2: Now With Fewer Mechanical Spell Schools. You're worrying about something that we don't even know is happening.

EDIT: Okay, a meaty errata pass is still a problem if you specifically use physical books. They're still almost certainly only making changes you can fit into a few pages you can print out and keep with your book so you remember what school-less Magi and runelords look like and not the kind of sweeping changes that would require a whole new book, though.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 28, 2023

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Psychic is going to need a lot of help post-remaster.

Magus is mostly is fine aside from some arcane cascade weirdness that's easily solved.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Andrast posted:

Psychic is going to need a lot of help post-remaster.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm interested in playing as a psychic for a post-remaster pathfinder society game and i'd like to know what to watch out for.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Lurks With Wolves posted:

They have mentioned literally nothing about remaking splatbooks. Half of why this is a remaster is so they can keep using Secrets of Magic et al as the main Pathfinder 2e splatbook on those topics. The other half is that they're taking this opportunity to get rid of a bunch of weird OGL cruft like Light and Dancing Lights being separate spells, which means their completely-original splatbooks have much fewer things to change in the first place. Yeah, they'll have changes eventually, but that's the kind of thing that can be covered by a meatier-than-usual errata pass instead of making Secrets of Magic 2: Now With Fewer Mechanical Spell Schools. You're worrying about something that we don't even know is happening.

EDIT: Okay, a meaty errata pass is still a problem if you specifically use physical books. They're still almost certainly only making changes you can fit into a few pages you can print out and keep with your book so you remember what school-less Magi and runelords look like and not the kind of sweeping changes that would require a whole new book, though.

I think it depends a little on how Wizard ends up looking, too. To be in a school, any spell from a splatbook needs to either a) be reprinted in core or a future book that adds wizard spells or spell schools or b) be referenced but not reprinted, leaving a book trying to get away from old cruft saying "for more details, look at this book that still has the old cruft". If after the remaster Wizards end up being very focused on their school spells, splatbook spells that are school-less end up having a higher opportunity cost to learn or use.

Unrelated to spell schools, is running wood kinecists as somewhat healing focused a trap? A lot of thier impulses have ten minute immunity periods and I can't really get a good feel for if I'm honestly going to get more out of them than just training in Medicine and taking the normal feats package for that. It feels like the fact that none of the immunity periods overlap should be enough to make it useful, but I'd like a second opinion.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I'm interested in playing as a psychic for a post-remaster pathfinder society game and i'd like to know what to watch out for.

Many of their Conscious mind options revolve around cantrips that are getting changed in the remaster, depending on your build this might be significant or it might not with oscillating wave having it the worst. Psychic's gimmick of being the focus point caster also got extremely watered down by the focus point changes since psychic is using a big bunch of its power budget on a thing that everyone gets.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 28, 2023

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
Anyone got any good theories on Aroden?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jon posted:

Is “good riddance” a theory?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

You know what happened to Ryan Dunn? Aroden did that

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
One thing I find funny is that both the last AP of PF1 (Tyrant's Grasp) and the second AP of PF2 (Extinction Curse) have backstories involving Aroden causing problems for a Mesoamerica-like civilization by messing with magical artifacts. Weird that they'd reuse an idea so close together like that.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
If the dead god's hand comes out and Aroden died of a car crash I won't even be mad

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Jon posted:

Who?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

hes that god who god pharasma and crew shot in the dick with paintball guns

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Chevy Slyme posted:

Is “good riddance” a theory?

-every non-human and non-avistani all at once in one big cheer. also the avistani humans that were poor

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

-every non-human and non-avistani all at once in one big cheer. also the avistani humans that were poor

Aroden's death was pretty bad for Tian Xia too! Also bad for parts of Arcadia, although that was Aroden's own fault for messing with the tree thingy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Humans are dumbasses. God of humans was a dumbass. Checks out.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

Aroden's death was pretty bad for Tian Xia too! Also bad for parts of Arcadia, although that was Aroden's own fault for messing with the tree thingy.

Aroden's death coincided with the fall of the Lung Wa empire, but I don't think it caused it- the Eternal Emperor went MIA. I know the wiki says it was precepitated by Aroden's death, but the page it references says "just as the Inner Sea was thrown into turmoil a century ago by the death of Aroden, the formation of the Eye of Abendego, and the opening of the Worldwound, so too did Tian Xia suffer a major change with the sudden and violent collapse of Imperial Lung Wa, which left the heartland of Tian Xia in a tangle of nation-states all squabbling for power," which reads more like they coincided rather than were related. We now know the Worldwound opening was unrelated, for instance, so maybe the collapse of Imperial Lung Wa was as well.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

:hmmyes:

Hard to argue with that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Season of Ghosts Player's Guide posted:

The Age of Lost Omens began in 7106, during which powerful storms wracked much of Golarion.

This is followed by a discussion of the fall of Lung Wa. It doesn't actually say that Aroden's death caused the storms or that the storms caused the fall of Lung Wa, but it seems vaguely implied.

Speaking of which:

the wiki posted:

The Eternal Emperor is the name of a philosophy practised practically like a monotheistic religion. Adherents worship the emperor of Lung Wa in Tian Xia, master of the Oracular Council, reincarnated in each successive ruler of that land. It has been the state religion in both Imperial Lung Wa and the theocratic Successor State of Po Li. The last emperor perished along with Imperial Lung Wa and no leader has emerged since then. Consequently, most of Lung Wa has converted to traditional deity-worshipping religions, but this is not the case with the faith's adherents in Po Li.

As the Eternal Emperor is not actually a deity, his religion has no clerics. In the territory of Po Li, both before and after Lung Wa's fall, clerics are castigated as heretics and worship of deities is forbidden. Instead, his clergy consists entirely of oracles under the leadership of the Oracular Council, who seized power in the area around Changdo, Imperial Lung Wa's capital, after the empire fell, and has been holding both secular and spiritual power in Po Li since then.

This seems to be in tension with the Season of Ghosts Player's Guide, which gives the impression that people in Tian Xia at the time of the fall of Lung Wa worshipped a variety of gods. Granted, Willowshore is way out in the sticks, and possibly outright bans on the worship of deities were never a thing outside of Po Li, but the Player's Guide still gives the impression that worshipping Pharasma or Daikitsu is fairly mainstream in Lung Wa. Was there a retcon here, or am I just reading too much into the wiki?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I thought it was also not so subtly implied that the eternal emperor was probably just another aspect of Aroden, so when he died or whatever the gently caress happened, so goeth the eternal emperor

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

This seems to be in tension with the Season of Ghosts Player's Guide, which gives the impression that people in Tian Xia at the time of the fall of Lung Wa worshipped a variety of gods. Granted, Willowshore is way out in the sticks, and possibly outright bans on the worship of deities were never a thing outside of Po Li, but the Player's Guide still gives the impression that worshipping Pharasma or Daikitsu is fairly mainstream in Lung Wa. Was there a retcon here, or am I just reading too much into the wiki?

So I had to parse all this for the last year or so of my campaign, and I'm not sure if it's a retcon but there are definitely inconsistencies. The Lung Wa empire is only the most recent empire, but it's named after the eternal Emperor, Mu Lung- only Mu Lung lived 11,000 years ago, before any of the three big empires in Tian Xia history existed. Why weren't the first two empires named after him? Why did the third one use that name? It's definitely fun to play with though, especially Quain. Great setting for Mythic shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Honestly this is why I liked Aroden. He was a God and did great works but he was still very much a flawed selfish person too. He straight up abandoned Arazni seemingly out of apathy? Pillaged and looted civilizations who rightfully didn't want to give up things they had, etc.