Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm on vacation and most of the vacationers are boomers who talk about how much money they have and how lazy and poor their kids are. It rules.

when you get back, can you read the DFW essay on Cruise Ships and compare and contrast? https://harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/HarpersMagazine-1996-01-0007859.pdf

(not a troll or a joke, actually curious how much has changed since the 90s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My new job is actually way better than my old job because it's at a tiny company out of Utah so they're astounded how good I am at it and they pay me more money than my previous job and are very nice to me, and also it's thus far not as taxing so I have more time for my true passion (posting), and also it's science-adjacent as opposed to dumb ecommerce bullshit like I was doing before

and before Matt Yglesias quotes me for Twitter, I was laid off for six months between those two jobs so gently caress Bidenomics and gently caress you

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Danny LaFever posted:

My dad just takes naps, eats sandwiches and watches birds all day. He seems pretty happy.

my guy friends who are retired mainly golf, bowl, watch sports & do hobbies like weather-watching or honey-do projects.

a lot of my girlfriends who retired from teaching do a ton of dog-walking & dog-boarding bc it turns out people will pay a lot of money for their animals, as we discussed the other day about vet bills, but also bc the dogs are not as feral as the kids they used to teach & require less maintenance. Plus it's good exercise.

almost all of them volunteer in some capacity whether it's delivering for meals on wheels or doing migrant outreach & collections or serving on boards of non-profits. I docented at a local museum for several years till covid came along.

I'm still working but for the last couple decades I've structured most of it to be from home, as my own business, and I can choose the times I want to work on client projects. I'm just now wrapping up some work for a california client & I haven't lived there for the last decade.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/YahooNews/status/1717271504918864054?s=20

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I am super happy that I work 24's for 4-6 days in a row.

Although It's kinda odd when I find out about current event news a week after it's happened..

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

thankfully, the biosphere collapse thread can provide the answer to this and many similar conundrums

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

My dad plays Call of Duty campaigns on pirated copies over and over

My dad plays Heroes of Might and Magic 3 scenarios over and over.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

selec posted:

I managed to burn out in two high profile consulting gigs in two years, and have switched to doing contracting work, doing the same thing but able to control the number of hours I work, and most-importantly not get slung onto projects that I don’t want to be on, working for assholes I don’t want to work for, and keeping my hours at a more reasonable 15-30/week when I’m “busy” and around 10 when I’m not. there are trade offs; Obamacare sucks so loving bad, state exchanges are an absolute rip-off, and you gotta manage retirement savings on your own, but I’ve gone over a year without any work-related Psychology, got off brain meds, and am overall much happier. call it my pretirement, because compared to where I was it’s so, so much better. maybe someday I’ll go back to corporate gigs, but it’s not that tempting right now.

:hai:

This is the way, people. Just make sure you pay your estimated taxes throughout the year & find a way to have health insurance that doesn't suck, which is much more difficult than paying estimated taxes.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Maed posted:

nicotine by itself isn't any worse than caffeine, alcohol is the drug that should be tested for as it is the worst drug

Alcohol is an old friend of humanity who are we to say no to an old friend?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

whats the concern? its already standard that those roles just dont get filled

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

I work in the auto body repair industry as an estimator and yeah poo poo will be hitting the fan in the next ten years.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
There was a report a few months ago that showed any consumption of Alcohol is incredibly bad for you and straight up causes cancer and the entire world ignored it lol.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Poco posted:

I work in the auto body repair industry as an estimator and yeah poo poo will be hitting the fan in the next ten years.

Not enough bodies to estimate?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

There was a report a few months ago that showed any consumption of Alcohol is incredibly bad for you and straight up causes cancer and the entire world ignored it lol.

That's ok I'll still keep drinking that garbage

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

Americans have no culture whatsoever.

We have McDonald's...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

At 88, Jack Fitzgerald no longer runs for exercise - "my knees went bad," he says - but he still runs his 16 car dealerships in Maryland, Pennsylvania and Florida, and he's not retiring anytime soon.

I literally hate this article and wish all involved leave our world in speedy fashion.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

everyone shoulda gone into the good CE (civil) instead of t he bad kind (computers). man was not meant to touch computer

I did ME but still ended up touching computers. Being the only person in the entire business unit who knows how to use our lovely enterprise software (SAP) meant I had to do pretty much only that.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Good, I can't afford end of life Parkinson's care like my grandmother could, I ain't trying to be around at 80.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My dad plays Heroes of Might and Magic 3 scenarios over and over.

I would like to do this when I retire.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

this is me but it was more like a 300% increase from age 25 to 35

e: I was earning barely over $20k for most of my 20s

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027242

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

net work error posted:

Not enough bodies to estimate?

Not enough bodies period lol. Work is through the loving roof right now. Biggest issues are not enough people to do the work, be they estimators, body techs, painters (maybe to a lesser extent) or even parts people.

Body techs are the biggest issue. Lots of certification programs are getting rid of their auto body programs because no one wants to do it. Cant really blame them. You spend 2 years in school, apprentice with someone who might teach you something or you get a complete psycho who views you as a burden or a drunk who makes you do all the work, then maybe get in to a shop that can be patient with a newer tech. Plenty of good techs left during COVID and went to pursue other careers. Real mixed bag with whats left. poo poo really sucks. Plenty of kids doing paint though, but most of them want to open custom paint shops straight out of school and end up burning out of the industry completely.

Speaking of shops, consolidation is happening. Caliber bought up a shitload of shops years ago, they are basically a REIT with a car repair side business. Classic Collision out of Atlanta loving sucks and they have been on a cross country of buying up every ma and pa shop and turning them to poo poo. Gerber is similar and is buying up MSOs. The days of the neighborhood/small town shop that pays well are nearly over.

Sorry for the long winded post, but the car haters (can't blame them) will likely get what they want but not for the reasons they would want lol

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Xaris posted:

everyone shoulda gone into the good CE (civil) instead of t he bad kind (computers). man was not meant to touch computer

Seconding this. I came out as a Water Resources/Hydrosystems engineer, got into hydraulic modeling, learned CFD and 3D modeling as a result, and basically made a career out of it at a consultant where I basically did 70% of what some ChemEs and MEs do.

Of course I burned out from 70 hour weeks, hated my life, was angry all the time, fed up with the corporate greed above all culture, and left for a less paying job with better work life balance. Big consulting firms blow rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

drat. Somebody should investigate cigarettes next.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

i think i've posted about this here before but i've been a machinist for almost a decade now and at three different shops i have always been the youngest or one of the youngest folks on the shop floor

there's, poo poo, probably hundreds of thousands of labor-years worth of experience set to age out of the precision-manufacturing workforce in the next decade and a variety of factors mean that one of the things with the US domestic manufacturing industry is still legitimately good at compared to other national workforces will just straight up expire. it's an open understanding in the workforce at least in the region where i've worked but strangely industrial capital hasn't acted to preserve its access to the skilled labor it depends on :thunk:

similar to what Poco describes there's a skyrocketing amount of demand for machinist labor hours and while it sounds like small machine shops at least in the pacific northwest are holding on better than body shops i can't see that continuing as the workforce shrinks

LonsomeSon has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Oct 25, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Number must be up.

it died actually

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Why would they invest in their workforce? That's someone else's problem :smug:

My profits; Our society

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
as people retire and shops close, you lose capacity too. my old shop had two 25 ton overhead cranes, and would typically do bridge projects in the region. now that capacity simply doesn't exist.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Poco posted:

Not enough bodies period lol. Work is through the loving roof right now. Biggest issues are not enough people to do the work, be they estimators, body techs, painters (maybe to a lesser extent) or even parts people.

Body techs are the biggest issue. Lots of certification programs are getting rid of their auto body programs because no one wants to do it. Cant really blame them. You spend 2 years in school, apprentice with someone who might teach you something or you get a complete psycho who views you as a burden or a drunk who makes you do all the work, then maybe get in to a shop that can be patient with a newer tech. Plenty of good techs left during COVID and went to pursue other careers. Real mixed bag with whats left. poo poo really sucks. Plenty of kids doing paint though, but most of them want to open custom paint shops straight out of school and end up burning out of the industry completely.

Speaking of shops, consolidation is happening. Caliber bought up a shitload of shops years ago, they are basically a REIT with a car repair side business. Classic Collision out of Atlanta loving sucks and they have been on a cross country of buying up every ma and pa shop and turning them to poo poo. Gerber is similar and is buying up MSOs. The days of the neighborhood/small town shop that pays well are nearly over.

Sorry for the long winded post, but the car haters (can't blame them) will likely get what they want but not for the reasons they would want lol

sounds to me like shareholder value is happening. as god intended.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

helicopter pilots have a similar thing going on, or at least they did in 2010ish when i last looked into them

and something makes me think that private chopper pilots for the rich are going to stay at the same strength or grow, while for instance CareFlight might also just be allowed to expire

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

i think i've posted about this here before but i've been a machinist for almost a decade now and at three different shops i have always been the youngest or one of the youngest folks on the shop floor

there's, poo poo, probably hundreds of thousands of labor-years worth of experience set to age out of the precision-manufacturing workforce in the next decade and a variety of factors mean that one of the things with the US domestic manufacturing industry is still legitimately good at compared to other national workforces will just straight up expire. it's an open understanding in the workforce at least in the region where i've worked but strangely industrial capital hasn't acted to preserve its access to the skilled labor it depends on :thunk:

similar to what Poco describes there's a skyrocketing amount of demand for machinist labor hours and while it sounds like small machine shops at least in the pacific northwest are holding on better than body shops i can't see that continuing as the workforce shrinks

Don't forget, the Universities need to be fed, so there can be no other choices for kids than taking on massive amounts of debt.

Trade school? What are you, poor?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

These all sound like problems related to things and stuff and not important financial instruments which is what actually matter

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Failson posted:

Don't forget, the Universities need to be fed, so there can be no other choices for kids than taking on massive amounts of debt.

When I went overseas people looked at you like you had a dick on your head when you said you were in the military for college money, even in the rest of the west that poo poo costs as much as high school, i.e. nothing.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Failson posted:

I’v got some buddies who did trade school and they all quit to do gig work or something similar, trades kills your body and certain regions have the market so locked down that there’s no point in trying to work your way up. Maybe post Covid is different but they kept encountering brick walls and small business tyrants.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Vox Nihili posted:

it died actually

I wish

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

UAW might be reaching a deal with Ford

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1717316476007227747

tentative deal w/ 25% wage increase, 11% of that in the first year

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Pretty sure one part of the world was avoiding alcohol before that?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

err posted:

looked into therapy since leaving an HMO and apparently therapists dont work with insurance anymore? they give you a receipt and you need to hope your insurance partially reimburses you?

loving insane.

lol nope. all psychologists I know(my spouse is one) that went into private practice take 0 insurance. my spouse is not down with that and continues to see Medicaid in a hospital setting.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Nodelphi posted:

I’v got some buddies who did trade school and they all quit to do gig work or something similar, trades kills your body and certain regions have the market so locked down that there’s no point in trying to work your way up. Maybe post Covid is different but they kept encountering brick walls and small business tyrants.

I have a business degree and it is worthless. Joining the IBEW and learning a trade was the best decision I could have made.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the united states got a glimpse of this in April 2020 and it drove us collectively insaner than 9/11 IMO
yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Setec_Astronomy posted:

I'll turn 40 this year.

yeah naw you’re right. guillotine it is.