Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's just representing an average American small town, that has a road that can fit 7 cars abreast while the sidewalks are three inches in diameter.

VVV It's more a collection of stones that the cars have kicked up onto the shoulder over the years.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's just representing an average American small town, that has a road that can fit 7 cars abreast while the sidewalks are three inches in diameter.

The unrealistic part is having sidewalks.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
here's a hint for your playthrough, make sure you've completed everything in an area before you cross a bridge.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
Signalis got an update just in time for its one year anniversary on Friday:

-Added an option to adjust the inventory capacity.
By default, the Flashlight Module and Eidetic Module will no longer take up an inventory slot. This behavior can be toggled in the settings from the main menu.
-Added an option to extend the inventory size.
-Added an option to invert Y-axis in first person scenes.
-Added an input scheme for AZERTY-style keyboards.
-Added an option to reduce some high-frequency flickering visual effects.
-Added an option to allow using health items while at full health to dispose of them.
-Improved interaction angles for hole jumping and ladder climbing interactions.
-Minor balancing adjustments across all difficulty settings.
-Various small bugfixes.

These address the biggest issues a lot of people have had. Nothing about running into an enemy right as you enter a room, though, but that might be under the various small fixes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sounds like perhaps I ought to try Signalis, now.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Well I'm glad they're adding those features but I really would have loved the inventory spot and flashlight module changes before I beat the game 2 weeks ago.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Rabid Boar posted:

These address the biggest issues a lot of people have had. Nothing about running into an enemy right as you enter a room, though, but that might be under the various small fixes.

Just in time for it not to help me at all. :negative:

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
Just in time for me to replay it to close out my October horror game marathon, though :smugdog:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Game procrastinators stay winning~

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

No they just drive really big cars.

They look like cars to you?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rabid Boar posted:

By default, the Flashlight Module and Eidetic Module will no longer take up an inventory slot. This behavior can be toggled in the settings from the main menu.
-Added an option to allow using health items while at full health to dispose of them.
-Various small bugfixes.

I just loving beat it an hour ago and complained about the flashlight last page. gently caress me lol

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mr E posted:

Well I'm glad they're adding those features but I really would have loved the inventory spot and flashlight module changes before I beat the game 2 weeks ago.

I know right? Just finished it earlier this month!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I hope Alan Wake 2 is good, I haven't pre-ordered it or anything but I'm kinda banking on it as it's the last of the big games I was looking forward to quite a bit this year and I've been somewhat let down by a lot of the others, just imo each one has had some critical flaw that renders them less good to me than everyone else has been finding them.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Signalis Patch Notes posted:

- Added an option to adjust the inventory capacity.
- By default, the Flashlight Module and Eidetic Module will no longer take up an inventory slot. This behavior can be toggled in the settings from the main menu.
- Added an option to extend the inventory size.

cyber bullying wins again

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

thrilled about that Signallis update because I have been putting off my second playthrough since forever. it will be just like having a NG+ bonus!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gently caress yeah time to try out Signalist

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ya'll enjoy. I wish I could do another run without knowing anything about it. Got enough mileage out of it through playing it twice though - first time through any game with a mysterious story I always have a hard time figuring poo poo out. I always need a second pass.

And with some games that still doesn't do it. Thanks Bloodborne archeologists, I'd have not understood anything if it wasn't for all of you.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

exquisite tea posted:

Myst was my first online experience in discovering most people are apparently tonedeaf.

I don't think I'm actually tonedeaf, but I never finished Myst because I could never get to the last age in the rocket ship.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Finished Silent Hill.

Good game, obviously. Although, the last area descended into key chasing funnily enough after me complimenting it about that. I muddled through okay but there was another puzzle I just couldn't figure out - the one which apparently has something to do with astrological signs, which would never occur to me. So I looked that up, too. I don't see the point in being stuck on a puzzle when I'm not here for the quality of the puzzles.

The story kind of petered out, though. It felt like the characters were never fleshed out, or even introduced in Alessa's case. There are FMV clips in the intro which don't appear in the game so I wonder if things got cut. It adds to the dreamlike effect but I don't know if it was intentional or just snippets of things they didn't have time/budget to finish.

For a while I was thinking hm maybe this is just as good as SH2, but nah, SH2 is better overall. SH1 is just a good start.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of Slay the Princess, I shall claim the minimum playtime achievement, thank you very much. I managed to get the true ending in just under 4 hours. That was about 5 or so vessels? It's short, yes, but not 45 minutes short. Kinda funny and a little weird how I somehow managed to make the exact choices that get me to the credits on my first run.

There's clearly a lot I didn't see in this game - how compelling is the rest of it? Should I do more runs or something?

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
did you get the car crash ending?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm trying for the harem ending, but it's really hard to keep so many affection meters maxed out.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 26, 2023

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

roomtone posted:

Finished Silent Hill.

Good game, obviously. Although, the last area descended into key chasing funnily enough after me complimenting it about that. I muddled through okay but there was another puzzle I just couldn't figure out - the one which apparently has something to do with astrological signs, which would never occur to me. So I looked that up, too. I don't see the point in being stuck on a puzzle when I'm not here for the quality of the puzzles.

The story kind of petered out, though. It felt like the characters were never fleshed out, or even introduced in Alessa's case. There are FMV clips in the intro which don't appear in the game so I wonder if things got cut. It adds to the dreamlike effect but I don't know if it was intentional or just snippets of things they didn't have time/budget to finish.

For a while I was thinking hm maybe this is just as good as SH2, but nah, SH2 is better overall. SH1 is just a good start.

The astrological sign puzzle is all to do with how many limbs they have. Yes. I know.

Which ending did you get? There's a huge difference in variance between the good and bad endings and you don't really understand Kaufman's whole deal unless you aimed for the good ending. As for Alessa, she gets more fleshed out in Silent Hill 3.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

roomtone posted:

Finished Silent Hill.

I recently replayed it and it's a shame that SH1 gets overshadowed by its sequels (even though I believe it's much better than 3). It still managed to scare me due to its wonderful sound design, but I do agree that there's less to latch onto for fans. Characters and story are a bit less memorable, although I do enjoy just how dry and determined Harry is. Dude doesn't give a poo poo about anything.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I just loving beat it an hour ago and complained about the flashlight last page. gently caress me lol

Now you can say you beat the game for real and not casual patched version.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The astrological sign puzzle is all to do with how many limbs they have. Yes. I know.

Which ending did you get? There's a huge difference in variance between the good and bad endings and you don't really understand Kaufman's whole deal unless you aimed for the good ending. As for Alessa, she gets more fleshed out in Silent Hill 3.

loving limbs. damnit. there is a kind of logic to the puzzles when you consider them all - like, it's always something simpler than you think it is but that's what makes it hard. I'll probably replay SH3 soon now that I finally have the background and I'll try to apply that logic to the puzzles, since I forget them anyway.

I got the Good ending but I didn't know you could save Cybil so I didn't get the good plus. I found all the Kaufman stuff so he showed up and chucked his vial of mystery blood.

Vookatos posted:

I recently replayed it and it's a shame that SH1 gets overshadowed by its sequels (even though I believe it's much better than 3). It still managed to scare me due to its wonderful sound design, but I do agree that there's less to latch onto for fans. Characters and story are a bit less memorable, although I do enjoy just how dry and determined Harry is. Dude doesn't give a poo poo about anything.

I thought Harry and Lisa's performances and dialogue were pretty well done. Harry is surprisingly lucid, usually in a 90's Japanese horror game the characters will be running into walls shouting 'WHAT IS IT' but he lays out the situation to Cybil about as well as you could.

I think my favourite part of the story is how Harry keeps waking up to be back with Lisa in that hospital room because it made it feel like I had no idea what was going on here. They never really explain that, either, which is fine by me.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 26, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I, like most people, think that the cult stuff is the least interesting part of SH, but I love Harry as a character. He doesn't have a tragic backstory or mental disorder or whatever, he just adopted a girl who then disappeared in this small town, and his plan is just to Dudes Rock his was through a horde of hosed up monsters to get her back. He's got a heart full of gold and a pocket full of 9mm, and I love him for that.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of Slay the Princess, I shall claim the minimum playtime achievement, thank you very much. I managed to get the true ending in just under 4 hours. That was about 5 or so vessels? It's short, yes, but not 45 minutes short. Kinda funny and a little weird how I somehow managed to make the exact choices that get me to the credits on my first run.

There's clearly a lot I didn't see in this game - how compelling is the rest of it? Should I do more runs or something?

it's really not that long to 100%. some of the paths are definitely more interesting than others but I still had a great time with it overall

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CuddleCryptid posted:

I, like most people, think that the cult stuff is the least interesting part of SH, but I love Harry as a character. He doesn't have a tragic backstory or mental disorder or whatever, he just adopted a girl who then disappeared in this small town, and his plan is just to Dudes Rock his was through a horde of hosed up monsters to get her back. He's got a heart full of gold and a pocket full of 9mm, and I love him for that.

Yeah he doesn't have a story where he killed his wife, or actually Alessa is a manifestation of his suffering, or actually he was the monsters all along, or anything like that, in an industry of the most tired poo poo, it's nice to just have a guy who's motivation is "I want to find my daughter and get out of this place" and that's it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I beat In Sound Mind last night. Overall, a pretty all right game. It's really light on the horror due to the fact that you can run and gun like Duke Nukem. Also the main villain sounds like Pete from Goof Troop. The way the levels are designed are solid fun, but they always have an annoying, unkillable monster roaming around until you clear all the objectives. Then you're free to explore more and get any collectibles you missed, which I appreciate. The ending has you getting riled up against the government and BIG PHARMA in a way that seems weird these days.

Admiral_Cola
Jan 11, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

I beat In Sound Mind last night. Overall, a pretty all right game. It's really light on the horror due to the fact that you can run and gun like Duke Nukem. Also the main villain sounds like Pete from Goof Troop. The way the levels are designed are solid fun, but they always have an annoying, unkillable monster roaming around until you clear all the objectives. Then you're free to explore more and get any collectibles you missed, which I appreciate. The ending has you getting riled up against the government and BIG PHARMA in a way that seems weird these days.

Recently beat it too, wished the game did more Nightmare House tricks, but that could make exploring later a bit trickier. The plot building onto itself with the patients becoming more connected in the conspiracy was an interesting facet of the game; but it felt a little underwhelming by the end. The vinyls songs were more effort than I expected the game to provide. It was nice that the game teetered the action/horror in a way that I feel like isn't done in this particular way often.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
The opening to Silent Hill 1 (everything before the scene in the diner) is the perfect horror experience

E: everything after is good too but oooo that bit so good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Especially how it uses a bunch of crazy dynamic camera angles that would be extremely difficult to do in a pre-rendered game like RE

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Especially how it uses a bunch of crazy dynamic camera angles that would be extremely difficult to do in a pre-rendered game like RE

That alleyway shot is perfect. Nothing more unnerving than the cameraman crawling up and down the walls like some kind of spider.

One of the few things I got to experience in the game before bouncing hard due to the controls.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rabid Boar posted:

-Various small bugfixes.

lol now I kinda wish I hadn't played it a few weeks ago, but then again it was about to leave Game Pass anyway.

anyway, started playing the RE2 remake a few days ago, still early in Claire's story but it seems pretty great thus far

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

That alleyway shot is perfect. Nothing more unnerving than the cameraman crawling up and down the walls like some kind of spider.

One of the few things I got to experience in the game before bouncing hard due to the controls.

So good that even the movie ripped it off wholesale.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I ask about the ending because it's weirdly easy to fail that kaufman quest with an untelegraphed point of no return. so many people probably got locked into that downer just a dream ending for crossing a bridge fully intending to go back and complete the quest.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That part was so cool to see after a lifetime of RE static camera. I'm not sure which series I like more, but the highs of Silent Hill are definitely higher.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is there a World of Horror thread or just talk about it here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
No thread yet, this is the designated (World of) Horror thread for now.