Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Azran posted:

On this note, please recommend me your favorite cheap (sub-$20) games! I'm buying everything that's very cheap before prices go up
At $20 it's basically going to be a lot of retro-themed indie gems because that's what they usually are priced at, so I'm going to throw in a recommendatory UNSIGHTED which is basically a better CrossCode in being a modern indie zelda but taking full advantage of twin stick aiming and of course having more involved RPG elements and Dark Souls inspiration.

Bug Fables is a Paper Mario clone but since modern Paper Mario games aren't like the old ones, there's not really anything else like this being made. Worth it if you want a decent Paper Mario clone.

SANABI is a Sad Dad Bionic Commando-like, where YOU are the weapon (as in you don't need to fire guns, you just need to grab them with your bionic arm). Yep it's a 2D grapple hook game, and I know grappling hooks have been in a bunch of games lately but 2D grapple hook games are still pretty drat rare, so if you like them then this is a recent gem that slipped under everyone's radar due to there being approximately 50 indie pixel art games released every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Assepoester posted:

Yep it's a 2D grapple hook game, and I know grappling hooks have been in a bunch of games lately but 2D grapple hook games are still pretty drat rare

What 3d grapple hook games have there been lately? besides spiderman's web shooting if that counts

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Just played through Slay The Princess and god drat that's a good game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

What 3d grapple hook games have there been lately? besides spiderman's web shooting if that counts

Fortnite has some kind of grappling hook every other season or so (including literally Spider-man's Web Shooter) and some of them are pretty good. I liked the "vehicle" that's basically a hamster ball that propels itself by shooting grappling hooks at stuff

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Does just cause count?
Batmans
Tomb raiders?
I guess those are all older

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Newest Halo has one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CrossCode is the best CrossCode. :colbert:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jossar posted:

I don't play Yi Xian: The Cultivation Card Game as much any more, but it is certainly worth its price and Xom's fanatical updates in the thread over the last few days are tempting me back/encouraging me to at least shill for it here.

This intrigues me - tell me more?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Attack on Titan 2

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Azran posted:

On this note, please recommend me your favorite cheap (sub-$20) games! I'm buying everything that's very cheap before prices go up

A few that haven't been recommended yet:

Baba is You - An all-time great if you're in to puzzle games. $15 but occasionally goes on sale for $10 if you're fine with waiting.

Dave the Diver - Might have been my game of the year if 2023 wasn't so stacked with amazing releases. Just under the $20 wire, a charming indie title with 100 different ideas thrown at the wall and almost all of them stick.

Dome Keeper - Like a more refined version of the old Flash game Motherload, but alternates between digging and defending your surface dome from waves of enemies. Started out a bit light on content but they've added a lot since then, multiplayer is planned in some capacity for a future update.

Dyson Sphere Program - Thought this might have been more but it's an even $20. Still in early access but complete enough that you wouldn't necessarily notice unless you knew more was planned ahead of time. There are tons of factory automation games, I consider this one of the best ones even if the end game gets a bit repetitive. Has a massive update planned for later this year which will add in an enemy faction to deal with while you're building but the game is already great without it.

Enter the Gungeon - One of the few games I've played enough to get the platinum trophy. My favorite out of similar twin stick roguelikes such as Nuclear Throne/Binding of Isaac/Voidigo, the combat always feels very deliberate and it greatly rewards you for learning and exploiting its various systems.

Hollow Knight- One of the best Metroidvanias ever made, lives up to all the hype. Maybe the broadest "must-play" appeal out of anything on this list.

INSIDE - Right at the $20 mark and has little replay value, but certainly worth playing through once. Has an incredible gameplay twist in the final section which sticks in the memory of most people who play it.

Manifold Garden - Neat puzzle game based around levels with impossible infinitely repeating geometry. Relatively short and I wouldn't say the puzzles are as clever as something like Baba is You, but it's still very good and 60% off right now.

Noita - A game that is indifferent to your existence, with a highly complex wand construction system which will lead to you vaporizing yourself repeatedly during experimentation. Has a relatively difficult but straightforward way of beating the main game, then a ton of optional content most of which requires much deeper game knowledge. Contains secrets which last I checked are still unsolved even with entire subreddits and various other communities trying to decipher them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah the Spiderman games count. But it's been a trend as of late...

-Latest Halo (Infinite) added a grappling hook

-Latest Battlefield (2042) added a grappling hook

-Latest Monster Hunter (Rise) added a grappling hook

-Latest Doom (Eternal) added a grappling hook shotgun

-Latest Titanfalls (2 and Apex Legends) added a grappling hook and a grappling hook hero

-That Justin Roiland (noted sex predator) game that came out recently (High on Life) had a grappling hook

Scalding Coffee posted:

Attack on Titan 2
Yeah the Attack on Titan games count as well

Resdfru posted:

Does just cause count?
Batmans
Tomb raiders?
I guess those are all older
The entire Just Cause series counts (can you believe they made 4 of them?).

The latest Batman game (Gotham Knights) still had grappling hooks, yep.

Thanks for reminding me that the newer Tomb Raiders added grappling hooks.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 26, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

SirSamVimes posted:

CrossCode is the best CrossCode. :colbert:

CrossCode really could have used like 50% less puzzles

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

:wrong:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
So I've slowly been trimming down my wishlist - started at 700 and am now down to 400. Yay for me! Hoping to get it as low as 200. As part of my travels I've been playing a few demos to see whether I keep some entries around, and here's how it went down:

MEH - Tower of Kalemonvo: Pretty much a clone of Diablo 1. I was down for it in theory since I feel like modern ARPGs have gotten a bit too explosive and fast, and therefore I'd like the more slow and deadly feel of Diablo 1, but the execution just felt lacking in that it was just a lower-quality clone that didn't seem to be introducing any new ideas of its own.

HMM - Genopanic: A seemingly decent little Metroid-y adventure. Seems to have some pretty good production values which was promising, but the actual gameplay felt very bland and boring, with the only noteworthy mechanic being that there are tons of paths that you burrow through by just moving through them with your body. Maybe it gets more exciting later on, but I just didn't have the patience to make it all that way, and without any sort of unique draw, I dunno if I'm interested.

OK - Black Ice: Kinda Cyberpunk Borderlands: hacking corportations in a Tron-like world and blasting away the enemies with all sorts of wacky guns and equipment. Combat seems like it could get pretty cool, and I did like how you can customize yourself with all sorts of guns and abilities, including replacing your basic functions like sprint and jump with other stuff like blink teleports. Didn't get quite enough gameplay variety from the demo which just puts you in locked-in arena after arena of FPS combat when I expected a bit more exploration, though maybe that is just what it is. Combat was kind of basic but the trailer does seem to imply that combat gets more intense and vertical which could be nice.

OK - INTO EVIL: Seems to be top-down Dark Souls, except with combat that has a bit more physics to it, the kind where if you get to close to someone your can't even swing at them because your arm gets blocked. Felt pretty good and polished, and I enjoyed the immersive physics-based combat which reminded me of something like Exanima.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Thanks for the recs everyone! A lot of the stuff I already owned but I found some real gems in there. Also I want to thank whoever was talking about Siralim in here some time ago; I'd no idea this game existed and it looks amazing(ly nuts)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

A Real Horse posted:

Just played through Slay The Princess and god drat that's a good game.

I got an ending for it myself just now. Probably not the best or true ending if such a thing even exists. Weird game. Not sure if it wants me to play it again to explore other options or not. Made me feel emotions, which is, quite frankly, just rude.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Assepoester posted:

The entire Just Cause series counts (can you believe they made 4 of them?).

I was reminded of Just Cause 2 the other week and man, that sure is a game that was hailed as amazing at the time but is actually pretty fuckin' bad. :can:

Orv
May 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I was reminded of Just Cause 2 the other week and man, that sure is a game that was hailed as amazing at the time but is actually pretty fuckin' bad. :can:

It was and is amazing as just a gently caress around and do stuff on a cool map thing but it was always kind of bad as an actual piece of design.

E: Worst driving I've ever seen in a sandbox game and boy that's an extremely low bar.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 26, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I kind of think after all that's happened with those games, they peaked at 3. It had the most fun sandbox to toys ratio without being as completely locked down and "play it our way or gently caress you" as 4.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 26, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

John Murdoch posted:

Just Cause was always a super janky and bad series, however 2 was a real surprise with the sandboxy freedom it gave you compared to other open world games at the time like GTA4 (and it was actually less jank than Mercenaries 2) as well as how much it was improved over the first (forgotten) Just Cause.

https://i.imgur.com/wX2wc1c.mp4

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Just cause 2 also had that amazing multiplayer mod

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My lasting memory of JC2 is the game felt like it was actually built for you to just gently caress around and explode things at all times rather than being trained to only do it outside of story missions because the scripting would fall apart and fail you like, well, almost every single Rockstar open world game to date.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There is no reason to drive a car in Just Cause 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

There is no reason to drive a car in Just Cause 2.

There's not but it does exist and I don't know why.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just 'cause

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

too

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the reason is dragging a helicopter through traffic

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Picked up Monster Hunter: World for $15.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Picked up Monster Hunter: World for $15.

Envy courses through my veins, got lost in that one for a bit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kazil posted:

this was the vibe I was getting when I played

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Assepoester posted:

Just Cause was always a super janky and bad series, however 2 was a real surprise with the sandboxy freedom it gave you compared to other open world games at the time like GTA4 (and it was actually less jank than Mercenaries 2) as well as how much it was improved over the first (forgotten) Just Cause.

https://i.imgur.com/wX2wc1c.mp4

Just Cause 2 on PS3 had an UPLOAD THE LAST 30 SECS TO YOUTUBE feature. The future was NOW.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

kazil posted:

i acknowledge that by having as many puzzles as it did, crosscode alienated some potential fans. i consider that an acceptable price to pay for being the best action rpg ever

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also the puzzles were good

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I felt like I got all I needed from Just Cause 2 out of its demo.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I got an ending for it myself just now. Probably not the best or true ending if such a thing even exists. Weird game. Not sure if it wants me to play it again to explore other options or not. Made me feel emotions, which is, quite frankly, just rude.

I recommend going until you've seen the credits at least twice in Slay the Princess. There's constant escalation and you see some wild poo poo if you reach the chapter 3 scenarios.

My first few hours, I didn't think the game was that heavy on the horror, and more about existential dread. Then I got back-to-back nightmare fuel and Dark Souls bosses.

I've reached the credits 5 or 6 times now. It's getting tricky to find new paths. Achievements are mostly tied to scenarios, and they say 52/97. There most be a lot left, but I'm probably looking it up like I did for the last bits of Stanley Parable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If you aren't living life to the fullest in your videogaming, what's even the point?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Donnerberg posted:

I recommend going until you've seen the credits at least twice in Slay the Princess. There's constant escalation and you see some wild poo poo if you reach the chapter 3 scenarios.

I keep hearing this one being compared to Stanley Parable, which immediately made me interested, but the artwork (at least from the screenshots in the store page) looks so... amateurish? I can understand if they are doing it on purpose for a specific vibe, but from a glance, it's not working for me.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

StrixNebulosa posted:

This intrigues me - tell me more?

Xianxia-esque... card game/auto battler? You set up a bunch of techniques and then duke it out against opponents, with the ability to improve your technique setup every round and increasingly getting better techniques as you advance into higher realms. There's a couple of different modes (and they just started a temporary multiplayer event today), but the most prominent ones are a singleplayer against an increasingly difficult dungeon with CYOA elements and a PvP brawl where you're competing to be at least top 4/8 and fighting against opponents switching off every round, round-robin style. It also has a small introductory puzzle mode and had the beginnings of a story mode when I last checked in a few months ago.

The ever-increasing character roster has several different schools/archtypes with different sub-school styles, but each character has their own unique abilities rewarding certain sub-schools. Most things start out locked in PvP and have to be bought, but the in-game battle pass (which is just a singular one-time thing and then rewards in-game currency ever after) and in-game currency generation methods are fairly generous and can eventually let you get everything except cosmetics. And even then, I think you can at least have the basic version of all the characters in the PvE mode for free.

Any more than that is really the purview of the thread, in which one of the early posts is me giving a more in-depth description of the beginning of the game.

FutureCop posted:

OK - Black Ice: Kinda Cyberpunk Borderlands: hacking corportations in a Tron-like world and blasting away the enemies with all sorts of wacky guns and equipment. Combat seems like it could get pretty cool, and I did like how you can customize yourself with all sorts of guns and abilities, including replacing your basic functions like sprint and jump with other stuff like blink teleports. Didn't get quite enough gameplay variety from the demo which just puts you in locked-in arena after arena of FPS combat when I expected a bit more exploration, though maybe that is just what it is. Combat was kind of basic but the trailer does seem to imply that combat gets more intense and vertical which could be nice.

Having played the full version of Black Ice, there is a bit more exploration, but it mostly wanders off into minigame land. So for the most part, what you see is what you get, even if the combat does escalate a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Saoshyant posted:

I keep hearing this one being compared to Stanley Parable, which immediately made me interested, but the artwork (at least from the screenshots in the store page) looks so... amateurish? I can understand if they are doing it on purpose for a specific vibe, but from a glance, it's not working for me.

Yeah, it's an initial hurdle. It's better ingame with parallax scrolling that follows your cursor. It has a sense of depth.

I assume the style is to invoke fairy tale storybooks. The actual compositions are well done, and there's action sequences with really dynamic comic book panels.