Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Rageaholic posted:

So on 17, when I'd use Standby and would get a notification, it would show the app name and then a description of the notification underneath. I'm using Standby right now on 17.1 and it's showing the app name and then the word "Notification" underneath. What gives? Can I change that back to how it behaved on 17?

e: I fixed it. Show Preview On Tap Only was turned on. Idk if 17.1 turned that on but I definitely didn't have that on before.

Every 17.x update has totally reset the Standby options for me including making the wonderful Cupertino clock come back. It's a buggy feature, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m not even using standby until I’m certain my phone won’t turn off and skip my alarm for no reason.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TACD posted:

Ahh thank gently caress custom text tones are back

:woop:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

I’m not even using standby until I’m certain my phone won’t turn off and skip my alarm for no reason.

Set an alarm for five minutes from now to test.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Here is a workaround

(really did get one a couple weeks ago because of potential problems)

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

smart phone in the bedroom is terrible for you and apple should be punished for enabling your bad habits

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

There's a rumor if you spam certain words or
phrases that are disapproved by China, they might be in a world of trouble.

I sent these within 30 secs of each other. Did the firewall really block them that fast? :lol:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I sent these within 30 secs of each other. Did the firewall really block them that fast? :lol:

more likely they just blocked you

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mr. Fix It posted:

smart phone in the bedroom is terrible for you and apple should be punished for enabling your bad habits

:hai:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mr. Fix It posted:

I go on call quite often in the middle of the night and need my phone to work as expected.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’m a doctor of Thuganomics and need to be on call 24/7 in case someone needs an attitude adjustment.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mr. Fix It posted:

My phone alerted me to someone trying to break into my truck at 4:30 AM this morning.

I think I'll keep it nearby

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

My phone alerted me to someone trying to break into my truck at 4:30 AM this morning.

I think I'll keep it nearby

How'd it alert you?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ThermoPhysical posted:

How'd it alert you?

HomeKit notifications of people on my cameras at night that are allowed to go through in Sleep Focus

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

glassyalabolas posted:

There's a rumor if you spam certain words or
phrases that are disapproved by China, they might be in a world of trouble.

I’d probably just report them as junk but I’m amused at the idea of sending them photos of tank man.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

For those of you who really care and are on the beta the Journal app is out with 17.2.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

Our bodies are like 20% microplastic at this point. Let me have my phone on the bedside table.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Skeezy posted:

For those of you who really care and are on the beta the Journal app is out with 17.2.

Nice, I was excited for that app, not excited enough to have a beta update on my daily driver but good to know.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Urgh. Due to being bugged by the iOS 17.1 install to free up space (possibly in error? I'm reading something about the Synced Content item in iPhone Storage possibly counting twice but nobody was ever really sure what the implications of this were) I went to try and reduce how much space WhatsApp was using, and its Manage Storage option helpfully offers an option to "delete WhatsApp media" from media-heavy chats so I cleared a very long-running group chat. I've moved WhatsApp between devices before and still been able to see old messages containing media with an option to pull them from the server, and I assumed that's what this would result in, but instead this operation seems to have actually fully deleted all media messages from my chat history, along with any captions, including media sent by other people, and also synced this to my Mac WhatsApp. What the gently caress? I never used iCloud Backup in WhatsApp for security reasons so I guess all these image messages are just gone... but only for me? Now, fortunately, it's not exactly like I was using WhatsApp like some kind of storage solution, so I haven't strictly speaking lost anything except for stuff like ephemeral memes that weren't worthy of being Camera Rolled, I've just mangled a decade-long chat history so I can't reliably browse it myself again, and I'm annoyed about it.

I don't suppose I'm just missing a way to reverse this operation? (besides hard restoring an iPhone backup, which I won't be doing)

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Speaking of alarms, I just noticed that you can now pick whole songs you synced onto the phone instead of being limited to 30s clips and converting them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Noticed one iOS 17.1 change. In 17.0, if you had an app that was over the time limit for screen time, it wouldn’t show up in spotlight search. Now it does.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I just noticed you can run multiple timers. Finally!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow ok, the stolen phone people just threatened to “slaughter” my family and sexually assault me. That escalated quickly.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I just noticed you can run multiple timers. Finally!

Unironically the best update since smartphones became a thing

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Wow ok, the stolen phone people just threatened to “slaughter” my family and sexually assault me. That escalated quickly.

hit em with the goat man

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Make sure to ask them about tiananmen square

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Free Taiwan!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

China ftw

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Idk the story here but is the phone trackable? Have you contacted PD and asked to speak with the station or an investigator? Sounds silly for petty theft but smartphones can be $1k+ and qualify to get at least a little attention from many PDs, especially if it is trackable. If they were making threats like that on a phone theoretically with your billing info attached to the account, I would be making a call.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Idk the story here but is the phone trackable? Have you contacted PD and asked to speak with the station or an investigator? Sounds silly for petty theft but smartphones can be $1k+ and qualify to get at least a little attention from many PDs, especially if it is trackable. If they were making threats like that on a phone theoretically with your billing info attached to the account, I would be making a call.

Read my previous posts. It was pickpocketed at a music festival in California and ended up where all stolen phones go to die in China. They send dozens of varying messages to try to get me to disable the activation lock.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Read my previous posts. It was pickpocketed at a music festival in California and ended up where all stolen phones go to die in China. They send dozens of varying messages to try to get me to disable the activation lock.
Ask them to ship you something nice in exchange. there’s a deal here

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Oh drat that’s interesting, yeah hope would be lost I guess in that situation. Seemed like it got transported so fast. My apologies for the situation duder.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Let me know if they say anything else after that. Figure that was their last shot. That’s where they gave up with my friend.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Vegetable posted:

Ask them to ship you something nice in exchange. there’s a deal here

I'm kinda surprised that they don't offer to paypal you $100 or something.
After all, the unlocked phone is presumably worth around $500+ more than a locked one.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

They meant laughter your family but that drat autocorrect strikes again.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is there any way I can stop HomePod Siri from asking “who is speaking?” when I’m making a request? It’s a bit useless for adding things to Reminders etc if I just end up having to use my phone anyway

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Have you enabled Personal Requests?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Apple has an event at 8pm eastern tonight. It's supposed to be Mac/MacOS related, but there could be more iPhone/iOS relevant stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Apple has an event at 8pm eastern tonight. It's supposed to be Mac/MacOS related, but there could be more iPhone/iOS relevant stuff.
I was going to make an event thread for it, but I don't know whether to do that here or in SH/SC.

Here's the YouTube link to the event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkW3V0Mh-k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Since it's Mac focused it's probably going to be in SH/SC.